How come 3700x seems to be more popular than 3800x?

how come 3700x seems to be more popular than 3800x?

Attached: 55.jpg (750x742, 36K)

lower price
very similar performance

base clock is a whole 200mhz higher though

Because if you want something better than the 3700x, there's the 3900x. They got the product lineup right with the 2000 series, why couldn't they do it again? The 1800x was already a flop, now they did the same with the 3800x. Maybe it's just chips that are higher binned but for some reason can't be used for a higher tier sku, so they can either do this or sell them for a lower price and make someone's day with the lottery?

3900x is lower clocked than 3800x though. And it would be odd to want more threads than what 3800x has

who cares my i7 9700k is much better in gaming. Fuck amd

Base clock means nothing in reality though because productivity users will just buy a 3900X with more cores, and gaming depends largely on the boost clock which is almost identical across the Ryzen 3000 lineup. That's why in most gaming benchmarks the 3600 performs within 10% of the 3900X.

Not 300? Still, is it worth the significant price difference given that they probably boost to similar all core performance?

Attached: 1540301705459.jpg (626x657, 81K)

Does Ryzen boost work differently to intel boost? On intel, if 4 cores are all loaded on a quad core then it won’t boost at all and will run at base clock.

If all 8 cores on a 3800x are loaded does it still boost? If so then why do they even call it ‘boost’?

I would laugh at this but we have reached the point where I just feel bad for the incels.

65w vs 105w

Ryzen chips don't have a cooldown or time limit on their boosting tech. All cores, whenever you need them, as long as you need them.

>less threads then 200 bucks cpus and potatobox 5
lmaoooo

It still has power draw limits and heat limits though. It really doesn't sound all that different from Intel at all.

chinks tested them, 3800x is ~100mhz higher in games than 3700x. 70$ more expensive for literally no performance gain.

also that similar boost clock suggests that you aren't buying significantly better binning by getting a 3800x over a 3700x. They look likely to overclock similarly. In which case, pocket the $70-ish difference.

3700X is a really good balance of performance, core counts and price. It can also be ran on cheapo B350 boards (given there's a compatible BIOS update) because of its relative low maximum power draw.

Attached: 1504627085942.jpg (900x600, 88K)

Because most people are upgrading from 8000000 year old AMD chips with 1/1000000th the single core performance so the extra like 10% boost isn't worth the extra money.

price performance

But something is different. With Ryzen in most cases your manual OC will get you a lower score on synthetic benchmarks than the PBO auto OC.

penis heads

3800X is rated at 4.5GHz boost and 3900X is rated at 4.6GHz. Everyone wants as many threads as possible, and there's never too many. The only argument against adding more threads is it ramps up the cost, and 3800X is at an inefficient price/performance point compared to the 3700X.

Why couldn't they make the 3800x a 10 core cpu?

10 core 3800X would've been a good CPU.

Because it's literally not possible with the architecture.

Because why the fuck would I spend $70 more for a few MHz? At that point I'd spend $130 more and get the 3900x: 50% more cores, big dick cache, and higher single threaded boosts. The 3800x literally only exists to justify the 3900x $500 price point.

Why is this the case?
I'm guessing both the CCXs and CCDs need to have the same amount of cores so a 3+3 chiplet and a 2+2chiplet would be no good then?

When you manually OC Ryzen you disable the entire boost scheme. That means you no longer have access to higher single core boost so you massively lose out on serial performance. Even when it comes to 2c/4t loads you end up losing tons of clock speed.
This happened in Zen1/Zen2 as well, but the peak boost clocks were lower on those chips so it had less of an impact.

Yeah that's exactly the case. They would probably have done it if that wasn't the case. If you go look at their Epyc lineup you'll see that the SKUs are segmented in amounts of cores that would only be possible with symmetrical dies.