What is your developer/programmer story Jow Forums?

What is your developer/programmer story Jow Forums?
did you went to college? if not, did you learn all by yourself? was it hard?

Attached: 1554514697655.jpg (720x480, 28K)

step 1: installed gentoo
step 2: there is no step 2

learnt by myself as a kid then went to uni

Just graduated HS. Learning C on my own for the past 3-4 months, not sure whether to pursue being an electrician, electrical engineer, software development, or IT work. I eventually just want to make money off of games I make, but I need an actual job first.

That means you are newfag cause it's forbidden to browse 4channel before 18. You didn't break the rules, did you user?

Attached: 1442852085261.jpg (200x200, 9K)

What's a newfag?

you are

>used to be known as "the designer" in high school
>absolutely in awe of the programming club and throught programming was basically magic

>graduate

>want to go to military and be professional soldier, didn't make the cut
>worked security for a while
>close friend talked about how he was gonna start studying computer science
>i'm like why not

friend eventually dropped out because he couldn't handle the math, but I found it easy enough.

eventually graduated and am considered one of the top devs in the local developer circles

i wanna get out of dev though, but I don't see how

just graduated high school and i start my $60k a year job at a ~25 person startup on monday. basically a jack of all trades, lot of opportunity for career growth.

angular for front end web, ionic for mobile, they currently have a coldfusion back end but we're going to change it to either node or i think c#

gonna be fun

>start cs at uni
>oh shit it's hard
>get good
>get an internship
>internship becomes full time when I try to go back to school because I'm a fucking computer wizard
>do school part time knocking out my bullshit electives
>10 CS courses left, all third and fourth year
>quit job, and dunk all of them in a year (hardest thing I've ever done)
>get job at big tech conglomerate for more than I was making, work for long enough for my friend to be able to keep his referral bonus and for me to keep my starting bonus
>just got job as a remote software developer for a company in the states - 50% income increase + stock options

Throughout the years, I've cared a lot about the theoretical. I spend time watching tech talks/conferences, and it's enabled me to become a more productive software developer. I only realized how much money I could be making in my second year of university, because up until then I only cared about partying. Ever since then I started trying to min max my income increase.

I basically learned everything myself, especially for university. I skipped my classes opting to fuck bitches and learn it myself instead. During work, I specifically take tasks that will reflect well on me on my resume. Everything I do is optimized to get me the next big job hop. My goal is to be a senior software developer by 27 at google, facebook, or amazon. Not because I think that those companies are glamorous to work at, or because of the money (my expenditure is ridiculously low). I just want to do it because other people can't, and so I can brag on this website.

Attached: kisspng-haikyu-anime-fan-art-blog-haikyuu-5ad434008bcb11.5912938915238563845726.png (1167x888, 442K)

>be in highschool
>"guess I gotta pick something for a career"
>"do I fall for the engineering meme or CS meme?"
>"CS sounds cool, I'm a quiet autist who likes computers, and people say there's more job openings than people, plus it pays well"
>teach myself a bit of python and C++ in year before uni
>watch some CS lectures on YT to prepare myself
>go to uni
>fall for the depression meme
>fail courses over and over again
>somehow I still make it out with a degree 5 years later
>teach myself some webdev after I graduate
>get webdev job
and here I am
My next goal is to go into security, webdev sucks. Gonna work on getting the OSCP cert and go from there

Started html css when i was 12
Then move to unity c#
Then move to C and Linux because of you retards
Im now in highschool
Can i make it without uni or is it just a meme

Attached: lovelain.jpg (752x564, 80K)

i'm a cs grad in an entry level SE job after 3 years of xp

you tell me

i downloaded game maker 6 when i was 10

>now in highschool
you're not old enough to post here

Attached: 1513363322673.jpg (740x436, 143K)

Go to school man. I got a job before I graduated, and finished the degree anyways. Not having a degree means too many doors will be closed. It's worth the investment

Job wise, uni is a $40k IQ test. It shows employers you're not a complete retard. Also it gives you internship opportunities you won't get otherwise. You don't need uni to learn programming, but you better have something good to put on your resume for employers to take you seriously. Like making a few really financially successful apps.

>be nerd
>think hackers in the matrix is cool
>look up how to be a hacker
>esr article
>he wants me to learn programming
>ok
>he recommends Java and Python to start
>learn them
>realize I can get a job with programming
>look
>all webdev shit
>learn JS
>get my first job at 16 doing webdev
>don't want to be stuck here forever
>go to university
>do internships every summer
>get an internship at a big tech company
>get an offer from them
>graduate and move to silicon valley
>crush the job, get promotions
>wife wants a house, area too expensive
>ask if I can just work remotely from a different state
>they say yes and I can keep my 150k salary
That's basically it so far

Attached: 1550453321873.png (779x1041, 753K)

I remember when my ex dumped me because she thought I was too incompetent. I took it upon myself to enroll into a college and visit the library every day to find and read a new book. Even took online courses and listened in to many lectures from my professors at class.
Reading up books and taking notes to become more knowledgeable in general and live a more meaningful life. I did this through out the year.
And on a Sunday of June 1st 2017. I was able to really understand what this long journey was really all for.
I woke up that morning and ran into my ex , we talked and I told her about my new life. She smiled and asked in curiosity," what is it that these new mentors were talking about?" I smiled and analyzed every detail and thought. and remembering all those books and notes, the lectures that I've been listening to made me realize The reality of what's been in front of me the entire time.
"ThAt I dIdNt uNdERstAnD sHiT"
So I dropped out, started Vaping and became a sound cloud rapper.
The end.

When is it too late to learn programming? When you hit uni?

Did a one year degree and got an internship at a big company.
Absolutely hated everday of this dumb shit even though it's chill as fuck with nothing to do all day. Now that I have the piece of paper and experience on my resume, I'm going to chuck it all down the drain and return to being a neet as before and hopefully die soon. I rather die a neet then as a wagecuck.

Attached: fuckthisshit.png (853x480, 516K)

>did you went
the amount of shitskins on this board is disheartening.

>I just want to do it because other people can't
unless your brown in which case it's easy af

? maybe an entry level but def not senior

College. I have no idea how I'm gettin gthrough the course, as I consider myself to be an absolute brainlet even though I'm constantly on the top 3 of most of my classes.

Attached: 1536773786079.jpg (700x700, 209K)

>get entry level from affirmative action
>rise through ranks to some managerial position through twitter clout
>get senior dev position through connections

Is experience not enough? Like projects on github?

> learned esoteric pure mathematics and complex theoretical physics at first
> had to learn programming for my PhD
> learned C programming in about a week

not even boasting. do hard science/mathematics, guys.

>think about cs career until i was in freshman year of hs
>knew html, javascript, and a bit of python
>my parents and sister told me cad was a programing class and my dumbass believed it
>really confused 1st day but end up taking all 4 cad classes with some cs courses too
>get a 4 on the ap csp test and figure that cs is a fucking meme
studying architectural engineering in uni rn because i dont have the motivation to learn more languages or to learn to type faster.

Attached: 1562779182561.gif (50x50, 173K)