Itt we share some neat GNU/Linux tips!

Itt we share some neat GNU/Linux tips!

In the command line, you can enter !! to run the last command you entered. This is useful if you attempt to normally run a command only to find out that it requires root privilege. Instead of re-entering the command with sudo, just enter sudo !! and you're done!

Attached: 1558285815303.png (270x320, 103K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/nvbn/thefuck
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Edit your sudoers file, append "pwfeedback" to the "Defaults" line and save.
Sudo will now show asterisks when you type your password.

Attached: maki with smartphone.gif (500x281, 474K)

pressing +x+e will open the command you are typing in your $EDITOR. this way you can type long commands more easily. Quitting out of the $EDITOR buffer runs the command.

Attached: 1562152734437.gif (640x480, 1.26M)

You can kill shit like in Windows when everything is non-responsive. You just do Alt+F2, write xkill, and touch the thing you want to die (e.g. a frozen gayme, which happens all the time because GNU/Linux can't into gaymes). Corolary: Make sure that the apps in your desktop are placed in such a way that you can see at least a tiny bit of each at all times; that will help you kill them. Thank me later.

>Note that this does have a security impact as an onlooker may be able to determine the length of the password being entered.

pressing +l while in a terminal emulator will clear the screen.

Attached: 1561902391000.jpg (1024x1024, 76K)

Ctrl + a to go to the beginning of the command line input
Ctrl + e to go to the end of the command line input

Attached: ACA8CCA3-87EC-417F-BA3F-F2C40FA9EC16.jpg (1024x1024, 121K)

ctrl alt esc in any decent configuration

I use home and end for this

i want to share my seieki with akarin's manko

Also ctrl+n for next line in history, ctrl+p for previous. Saves you from having to use the arrows.

i want to nakadashi akarin

pressing tab twice in bash can autocomplete the rest of the filename.

when you do `set -o vi` on a bash shell, this action will be bound to "v" key.
In general I recommend setting this option so you don't have to do awkward RSI motions like

Install thefuck. TLDR it lets you enter just "fuck" and it will correct misspellings and need for sudo. github.com/nvbn/thefuck

>inb4 muh github

Use Ctrl + R to search in your bash history.

Attached: 21519d98b9db88fc06df39cfed79023828c3abc81f9a83458da818a9b3f9b2b3.jpg (1200x1200, 290K)

good thread op

You can also add "insults" to have your sudo mock you when you type your password wrong

How do I get a gf

just b urself bro

ps aux | grep whatever

will search your running processes for whatever, useful for programs that hang or are zombified, kill with "kill #" with # being the PID of your process

fang

Holy fuck
Thank you

thank you everyone

Attached: 1559784983591.jpg (600x404, 24K)

twice? you only need to do it once I think