Has anyone here ever met Richard Stallman? If so, what was your experience like?

Has anyone here ever met Richard Stallman? If so, what was your experience like?
I hear he's a really nice and respectful person, and I'd honestly wanna be his waifu he also looks so cuddly.

That aside, he's one of the most genuine and integritous people in the world, but I'd really like to know what he's like personally.

Attached: richard-stallman-young.jpg (300x208, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I saw Richard Stallman at a grocery store in Los Angeles. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

i like this meme but its gotten stale
i really wanna know what he's like personally
i've gotten a taste of it emailing him, and i love that he responds to all his emails
but i'd also love to just sit down and have a deep conversation with him about all kinds of political and philosophical things

This is a pasta, before this thread gets derailed

based user
please someoneeeeeee
stallman doesn't get enough love around here anymore

He spoke at my university back in 2013 (or 2014?) and I didn't even fucking know. Here in Eastern Europe nobody really cares about him, not even the CS crowd so his speech got about as much advertising as any random professor from Bumblefuck, Lithuania.

>but I'd really like to know what he's like personally.

>For necrophilia, it might be necessary to ask the next of kin for permission if the decedent's will did not authorize it. Necrophilia would be my second choice for what should be done with my corpse, the first being scientific or medical use. Once my dead body is no longer of any use to me, it may as well be of some use to someone. Besides, I often enjoy rhinophytonecrophilia (nasal sex with dead plants).
>A parrot once had sex with me. I did not recognize the act as sex until it was explained to me afterward, but being stroked on the hand by his soft belly feathers was so pleasurable that I yearn for another chance. I have a photo of that act
en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman

Attached: !.png (1176x1212, 883K)

fuck off lol
autism or not that doesn't discredit the other philosophical beliefs he holds and whether or not he's a good person by heart

If this is true what a prick Stallman is

Stallman is for legalizing pedophilia.

Stallman is for legalizing pedophilia. Im happy he started the gnu project but other then that i don't care a single bit for him.

I met rms, he is nice but a bit autistic.

fuck off back to Jow Forums completely irrelevant to the thread

Attached: DNIxL7KVQAAORqJ.jpg (645x981, 75K)

He wants to know about stallman right? Also i have not been to pol yet.

you have to go back

How so? I guess its kinda obvious, but what made you think that personally?

how did you meet

this

I met him at a conference with a bunch of CS bachelors in Amsterdam last year. He held a presentation called "Why using proprietary software is living in the soviet union" or something like that and participated in a panel discussion after that. I only went to the presentation, it was pretty much the usual four freedoms shtick you expect. The presentation was more or less like in the videos you can see on youtube. At one point, he said that earning money by selling software is pretty senseless if you distribute that software for free, ergo being a software dev should not be a paying career. Basically everyone in the crowd started to boo at him. He of course did not back down but doubled down instead, saying that earning money by selling proprietary software or being hired by a company that does so is unethical and "worse than punching the customer in the face". Again, a lot of complaining and shouting, but RMS carried on with his presentation and ignored the audience. At the end, there was some time for questions. 1/3

>completely irrelevant
>op asks about rms and mentions him as one of the most genuine and integritous people in the world

About half of them were about earning a living with free software (according to stallman, you should write software for free in a straightforward and understandable manner, but charge companies for consulting you, kinda like RedHat), 40% were trying to provoke some autistic meme answer from him and the rest were genuinely about incorporating free software into one's job. As stallman thinks free software is an all or nothing kind of deal, those questions did not go far. After the sessions, stallman grabbed around two plates worth of food from the buffet (there were a couple stands with (vegi) burgers, kebab, salat, etc). He then proceeded to quietly sit in the most remote corner of the builiding, while still in sight of the attrium. There, he started to type on his ancient thinkpad and sold free software foundation merch. After some time, I went up to him and wanted to buy a couple stickers. Most of the stuff was already gone by that point, so he probably made quite a bit of money that evening. I remember that he smelled a bit sweaty, but given that he was standing on stage for 3h, that's pretty understandable. All good stickers were already gone, but I wanted to start a conversation with him, so I bought a single "RUN GCC" sticker for 3€ (dont use gcc, kids). He almost did not look up to me and continued typing on his laptop with one hand while grabbing my money with the other, while mumbling that I should take the sticker. I said that I liked his performance that evening, although some people might need a less aggressive/dogmatic presenter to get hooked on the ideas of free software. I then said that I appreciate his work and would like to thank him for it, especially for emacs, as I use that program for hours every day. He responded with "Do not thank me, my child (he really did say "my child"), but instead spread the word of free software and become an active and essential part in the community. That will be thank enough". 2/3 and 3/3

He came to my city once to gave a talk. It was awesome. Talking to him making you feel like you're seeing the computer Jesus irl. It is so sad that he will pass away in our time.

every time

The sad state of modern "DevOps" "Agile" "Scrum" "Lean" "Startup" "Web 2.0" "Enterprise" "insert buzzword here" culture.
FOSS is legitimately seen only as a stepping stone into 'bigger things' all it is seen as these days is something to put on your resume so you get hired to make muh Software as a Service apps with an open office team full of trannies.

Sounds like a pretty funny dude, would hang out with tbqh

Bullshit

I have met him at conferences and seen him on the bus multiple times (I live in Boston). Basically what the user earlier in the thread said is true, he's a geeky old guy that is hyper focused on his work and activism. Usually pretty nice but can be hard to talk to him because of this. I have never experienced him smelling bad, he seems to keep good hygiene because of his job. He is very busy most of the time I've seen him.

I think a lot of people expect him to go around slapping smartphones out of people's hands or something but he doesn't usually care. If you bring up using Facebook or Windows or Google or something in conversation he generally will interject you though.

I'd rather know if anyone has met esr. He seems like he'd be far more interesting.

>If you bring up using Facebook or Windows or Google or something in conversation he generally will interject you though.
oh shit it's real, thought it was just a Jow Forums meme

Oh it's a furfag how surprising

I met him in Seattle before he gave a talk at my University. He asked me why I interviewed at Microsoft for an internship. He also corrected me when I said Linux. He's kind of a walking meme but a nice guy

>furfaggot
>pedophile
What a surprise

He isn't joking, he has a pretty strong dislike for those things.

>"DevOps" "Agile" "Scrum" "Lean" "Startup" "Web 2.0" "Enterprise"
What the fuck is all of this anyway?

and I was being serious, user

Too much to explain. You should Google these things and imagine he worst consequences of any descriptions you might find.
Then realize that you only know of it in theory. In practice things are always worse.

Attached: parrot-love.jpg (1180x790, 50K)

Fascinating guy. If he wasn't a free software "extremist" he wouldn't have all the attention he has now, and he wouldn't be as fascinating.

Fuck you, this is a blue board
You just got me fired
Mods