/wdg/ - Web Development General

Previous thread: >Beginner Roadmap and Overview
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap (don't be overwhelmed, ignore the later parts and go step-by-step)
youtube.com/watch?v=UnTQVlqmDQ0

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction to HTML/CSS/JS and Node.js or Django
freecodecamp.org - curriculum including HTML/CSS/JS, React, Node.js, Express, and MongoDB
javascript.info - curriculum providing a strong basis in JavaScript

>Further learning resources and documentation
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
hackr.io - crowdsourced collection of tutorials (ignore sponsored stuff, look at upvotes)
learnxinyminutes.com - quick reference sheets for the syntax of many different languages
pastebin.com/gfBPg24A - Collection of PHP links.

>Need help with some HTML, CSS or JS?
jsfiddle.net - create an example here and post the link

Attached: 1562527616130s.jpg (250x140, 4K)

Other urls found in this thread:

codepen.io/user/pen/NZJmgm
github.com/arialdomartini/Back-End-Developer-Interview-Questions
github.com/donnemartin/system-design-primer
quickleft.com/blog/cookies-with-my-cors/
codepen.io/user/pen/KjYQxW
codepen.io/user/pen/wLZyQG
userinyerface.com/
gatsby-forty.surge.sh/
creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Blazor will save front-end development!

wtf my last post didnt work?
Im sure by now this will be buried. Why is safari janky? I have this issue where the last character is stretched during this animation. I can remove the stretch but then the top bit of the character is clipped altogether. What am I doing wrong?
codepen.io/user/pen/NZJmgm

github.com/arialdomartini/Back-End-Developer-Interview-Questions
github.com/donnemartin/system-design-primer

Found these. Anyone got any other good backend/system design resources?

Attached: confused anime girl reading book with question mark by her head .jpg (374x374, 14K)

I have a short question with regards to the React API. The official documentation defines the API for createElement the following:
createElement()
React.createElement(
type,
[props],
[...children]
)

Unfortunately it doesn't make sense to me, because the second argument is usually an object or null if we want to omit it. The last one doesn't fit really neither. Has anybody an explanation why they chose to describe it this way?

what should I study in order to be ready to a java jr. backend position?

Maybe the brackets are not meant to represent an array, but optional arguments. Although the syntax for optional arguments usually is more like
React.createElement(type [,props [, children]])

Yeah this is really weird the way they did this. I can't even really say if they are referring to arguments or parameters in their API.

Attached: types.png (447x135, 9K)

Great!

>type: "input"
Wait, what?
>TODO: generalize this to everything in `keyof ReactHTML`, not just "input"
What the hell man.

Attached: 1.png (884x354, 28K)

we must keep going bros

Maybe go build backend type projects?
Java backend development?

Fuck. /wdg/ gets more retarded on a daily basis.

java

Java is used for backend all over the world user.

How does Jow Forums structure their SASS?
I use the 7-1 system myself. example:

sass/
|– abstracts/
| |– _variables.scss
| |– _functions.scss
| |– _mixins.scss
| |– _placeholders.scss
|– base/
| |– _fonts.scss
| |– _normalize.scss
| |– _typography.scss
|– components/
| |– _buttons.scss
| |– _inputs.scss
| |– ...etc...
|– layout/
| |– _navigation.scss
| |– _header.scss
| |– _footer.scss
| |– ...etc...
|– pages/
| |– _home.scss
| |– _contact.scss
|– themes/
| |– _theme.scss
| |– _admin.scss
|– vendors/
| |– _example-library.scss
| |– ...etc...
`– main.scss

Anyone use a different setup or have a better way of structuring your SASS?

Attached: 1562391157787.jpg (1920x1080, 135K)

No shit. I replied in a rhetorical manner.
>how do I learn how to bake bread?
Uhh, you read the fucking instructions then you bake bread.

This is why the web is becoming such a slow piece of shit. JavaScript files probably looks just like that or worse.

I guess the joke's on me and I am retarded.

What the fuck are you talking about, you autistic fuck?

they get compiled and minified dude

Depends on the website. If it's a small one I put it all in a single folder, otherwise yeah I follow the 7-1 system

SASS makes your life easier though, and I am pretty sure it also makes the site load faster

Any brotips for picking up RoR fast?

I'm a somewhat experienced do-it-all dev who works mostly with python, but I don't have any experience working with Rails. I had made a few test apps in Ruby with shoes but that's my extend of experience with it. I dedicated the entire day today to learning Ruby and I managed to make a simple DB ORM, while picking up a lot the subtleties of the language, so I think I'm ready to learn Rails.

Attached: f1215aa5a0b98c4d36d5a320c7955003.jpg (2150x4000, 2.02M)

sorry for being so vague, anons
I know I have to learn java, spring and jpa/hibernate but what else to learn so I can achieve junior level? do I have to learn tests with JUnit and Mockito? Servlets? JSP? Maven/Gradle? Tomcat/Jetty? JAX-RS? JAX-WS? JDBC? jOOQ? TDD? do I have to read Gang of Four, Clean Code, Clean Architecture, Java Concurrency in Practice?
there are so many acronyms and names it makes me lost

I'm losing my mind here.

I'm new to javascript and working on a react webapp and for some reason rendering this component.
'use strict';
import React, {Fragment} from 'react';

const MyFormField = (props) => {

let {fieldLabel, fieldName, value, invalidFeedback, validFeedback, isValid, showFeedback,handleInputChange} = props;

return (
WHAT THE HELL?
);
};

export default MyFormField;

in some other component A, automatically reroutes the app to a different page. But when I render it inside a different component B it doesn't.

This is a simple completely functional component that doesn't have anything to do with routing. However when I use it it in A, it reroutes. When I don't use it, it doesn't.

Then it routes to some other random page and tells me I can't have a form inside a form, even though this component doesn't contain a form tag at all.

How the fuck do I debug something like this? I can't really use console.log because once the page reroutes, I lose my previous logs. I have no idea how to debug a problem that reroutes like this in javascript. Anyone can give me a general tip how to tackle a problem like this?

Post component A and B

You are like a little baby.

> Components
>> [component...]
>> component.js
>> component.scss
>> component.html/php/whatever
>shared
... the rest is similar to yours. Use sass globbing to include components. Keep things that belong together, together.

I was making a pastebin with the code to give you and the act of doing this fixed it.

When I copied my code it automatically expanded my imports (they were collapsed in my IDE). So I saw that the component I was importing in component A had the right name, but was actually a completely different file.

Seriously thank you for responding. You literally saved my ass. I would have never seen this if I hadn't tried to make a pastebin.

Does anyone have any good resources on testing React/React Native? I'm tempted to buy the kent c dodds testing javascript course but I don't have the money at the moment

No problem. Happens to me often, when I am explaining a problem to someone else, the solution appears.

Does email marketing work for promoting a website? What kind of email marketing should you do if you have no mailing list?

Attached: chad.png (800x458, 346K)

I am absolutely not an expert on this field so take this with a huge grain of salt, but my gut instinct says that email marketing without a very dedicated mailing list is dead since spam filters were invented.

I think I heard Louis CK talk about him having an extremely dedicated mailing list. He had the checkbox preset to "do not contact me", so only people who checked it got mails. He then didn't send them a single mail for months, until he had that self-funded comedy special he had years ago. Once he send that first mail, like 80% of those extremely dedicated fans immediately opted out of the mailing list.

The truth (as I see it) is that nobody is even going to read your mails.

What if I pay people to promote my website to their own mailing lists?

My point is that I think even very dedicated mailing lists are not that effective and that non dedicated mailing lists are completely dead.

A mailing list you buy is not going to be very dedicated to begin with and even if it was, they are just going to filter you out without reading your mail anyway.

However once again, I'm not an expert. Research the actual statistics before making a decision ofcourse. I'm just saying what I've heard/noticed.

Bump

How does exhentai know that i already logged in e-hentai? I thought you cannot access cookies from other domain? Is this what they call SSO?

>Any brotips for picking up RoR fast?
Yes. Don't.

I need it for a particular project at work. I'm fine myself with Python Flask.

Every god damn presidential candidate I've donated to spams me daily. You better believe mailing lists are huge in marketing.

I have no knowledge of the particular site, but one of these sites must be setup to allow cross origin cookies. Look down the bottom here

quickleft.com/blog/cookies-with-my-cors/

I quit my first job 2 months ago and have been working on my own project (from scratch) since then. I can't believe all the knowledge/basic understanding they let me work without there. Jesus Christ, what a shit hole. After just these two months of looking up basic shit, I feel like a way better programmer than I ever was there.

That’s why no one wants to hire non-experienced junior devs anymore.
You (figurative you) are a net negative for a few months until you’re trained. Then you leave for a different company.
So they’d rather just compete over experienced devs than have to wade into the bullshit of finding a good non-experienced developer

Only on Safari? Do you have a screenshot?
>How does Jow Forums structure their SASS?
Most styles stay with the single-file-components and others are split up between theme, mixins, helpers, etc., that then get injected whenever a SCSS file is processed.

I think I'm going to get fired

My deadlines were too tight on for the size of the projects I'm doing.

I put them into QA and they come back with a changed scope and new requirements.

I had one week to write this big ass script but the whole time I kept getting my last project kicked back from QA for more requirements.

Jesus, everything is late now.

Ok, apparently not. Looks like everyone is massively behind.

hey bud lemme grab some now. thanks for at least feigning interest. im sure you can follow the link in chrome/ff to see it correctly.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 9.27.45 AM.png (1256x140, 45K)

so my issue is that the animation starts 'fine', the top right of the 'E' is always clipped, when returning to the starting position the 'E' fucking stretches. This is so dumb I don't know why. I cant get any searches to help either. I've tried some 'safari font rendering' and 'forcing to render in 3d' hacks but they dont help. If I'm able to remove the stretch, the 'E' is still clipped.
Image from my site

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 9.31.41 AM.png (506x140, 27K)

>boss changes scope
>fires Dev for not doing it 3 hours before deadline
If you're fired you should be fucking glad.

hm I can't test it since I don't have Safari, but yeah looks like some weird rendering problem for the part of the slanted E, that exceeds the element.

any of these different?
codepen.io/user/pen/KjYQxW (extra padding on h1)
codepen.io/user/pen/wLZyQG (transform: translate instead of margin-left)

So I have a python file with an import:

import requests

This module works fine in IDLE, but in Visual Studio code it just gives me an error; No module named 'requests'. I think it has to do something with the Python install path but I'm not sure. Anyone know why?

Try The Odin Project.

Really fucking depressed after discovering that almost everyone in my area has some shitty google site; and the rest have some shitty pajeet tier site where the words merge into each other making an incoherent mess. I went around the area and no one is interested in upgrading to a better one despite the portfolio. I get the same response saying quality doesn't mean anything to them. A few folks that don't have a website say they rather use their yelp/Facebook page; and they literally don't have anything on it (and aren't interested in optimizing it.

Am I really just in a fucked neighborhood? It seems like I'm going to have to prospect people in the city since everyone here are worse than your typical jevvish meme (in fact, none of them are jevvs)

What's the state of WASM? I have this cli app, and I'm wondering if I could make it work in the browser.
Seems like a far fetched idea, but is there even a sliver of hope there?

kek that's only for large scale projects, just do something similar to this instead.

Attached: Code_TiG6TSRGir.png (315x185, 7K)

no one is this retarded

Attached: Reaction+images+i+found_4056fd_6963352.jpg (1200x1198, 57K)

holy cow, top one works!
second one gives me the same clipping problem. I'm going to say i genuinely admire you and hope you have a great week(end). so many retards have been 'dont use safari' or 'just learn webdev'. This solution really improved my day man. Thank you

My guess is you'll need some VSC extension to handle Python import paths correctly.

i feel so dumb because looking at it it appears that the 'E' wasn't "fittting" correctly but in my beginner experience I just figured the h1 would properaly wrap or hold the text. I've been googling and hacking at this for actual days. Like I actually feel like my quality of life improved id suck you off rn

Web is very centralized these days, it's cheaper and easier to use social media to promote your business than having a separate website.

userinyerface.com/
I quit at the TOS

For the people currently learning, what do you do when you feel burn out?
I can fuck around in codepen for hours but tutorials are feeling dreadful lately and I can't get any serious project done.

i just make my own (shitty) websites. either keep em local and just work on them through WS or spam neocities with new emails. either work on recreating websites you think look nice or just whip up something new, google what you need help with, spam forums when googling fails. that being said im neet af

You need to work on your sales pitch. A poor website reflects the standards of the company. Imagine you're in a new town looking for a restaurant and you come across two websites. Both are rated 4 stars on Yelp and Google but one has a shitty website and one has a beautiful website with an attractive menu and an inviting description with pictures and really shows the company cares about how they are perceived publicly. Which would you choose?

Exactly. They are losing business and will continue to lose business because their competitors chose to spend a little extra on their web presence.

>im neet af

So am I, and probably starting to lose my shit.

its ok bud. all you need is that one (apparently) Im lucky to be able to turn down the shit offers so im just waiting

Can any of you give me a quick rundown on credit/permission while using templates like this one?

gatsby-forty.surge.sh/

Can I just grab it, slap my shit and call it a day?

The one you linked appears to be released under Creative Commons
See:
creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

I gave up on it, I downloaded VSC on my laptop and it literally just werks

Yeah, I'm fucking blind, straight from GitHub:

>Conditions
>License and copyright notice

So I take that you can do whatever the fuck you want whit it as long as you don't specify that others can't.

Is there a discord/irc channel where other web devs hang around all day talking / discussing related stuff where I could meet new people / soak some knowledge?

No.
But you will have no problem finding a discord channel filled with people that are learning web dev. 90% will be absolute retards, there will be an obvious circlejerk of regulars and maybe a girl who knows shit about coding but gets attention and an underage I-know-better retard mod with God complex.

Yea I was looking for a more filtered community. I'm past the retarded stage myself and wanted to hang around other (more preferably) experienced programmers.

yes, if you search you will find

>90% will be absolute retards
>maybe a girl who knows shit about coding but gets attention and an underage I-know-better retard mod with God complex.
it'll be okay, user

should I use postgresql arrays instead of a separate table for a one-to-many relationship?
what's the downside here?

Can you give me a general search direction?

Debugging userscripts with the FF/Chrome dev tools is a pain. I have to add console.log() after every single line, because they don't tell me which line threw an error. Fuck, it won't even warn me when the script failed to be parsed at all.

Does anyone have any libraries or whatever to make debugging in the browser easier?

Attached: 1532525761.aconite_gonjo.png (853x474, 188K)

redpill me on GOSU/Guidewire

You can pause the auto execution and manually run it using the dev tools. Just copy and paste it inside a function adding a debugger, and run it normally.

The way I heard -- I haven't checked, but Network Monitor supposedly can prove this -- is that exhentai quickly redirects you to e-hentai to check the cookie and right back to exhentai.

I guess I should have said that userscripts don't show up on the browser's debugger.

But don't run it through the browser extension. Copy the script content, and run it through the dev tools console... that way you can debug it.

Attached: testing.png (1598x1066, 83K)

I have a string:
url = "wikipedia.wiki/"+games[0]

and 'games[]' is a list of games, for example the first entry is Pokemon Red. Can I not concatenate the string like this?

yes?
> let url = "wikipedia.wiki/"
> const games = ["Pokemon RED","Pokemon BLUE","Pokemon GOLD"]
> let new_url = url + games[0]
> new_url
'wikipedia.wiki/Pokemon RED'
>

if games is an array of strings you probably can concatenate it in most languages

const BASE_URL = 'wikipedia.wiki/'
let url = `${BASE_URL}${games.length ? games[0] : ''}}`

Ok I think I fixed it

Attached: Capture.png (505x330, 13K)

>666
>`${BASE_URL}${games.length ? games[0] : ''}}`
do you work in enterprise software development or something?

there is really no need for a template string if user just wants to append a bit

dickcord . gg / programming Has a lot of instagram normies and underage people but at the same time there are a good amount of people who know what they're doing. Also there is a girl that people orbit but shes experienced and not a noob, also the chat is always active and there are a lot of channels

if anyone reading this knows of a web dev community thats less of a zoomer hangout feel free post a link to it

>using http
>not using https
anyways could have said it was in python

Sorry. Is there an easier way to do what I'm doing there? Im no python expert, im just gluing shit together here

what you're doing is fine. i don't even know what your goal is.

Has anyone had issues with bootstrap accordion? So we recently implemented bootstrap's accordion into our vuejs project and it seems that it prevents certain elements in the mount from working or not showing up on the mount. prior to using the accordion we had no issues and the other part that is now broken (a info favicon using popover for a tooltip) does not work either.

my guess is that I will have to find some other package that does the accordion affect because I know everything else is fine.

Ultimate my goal is to create a script that goes through a list of games, goes to the wikipedia pages of each game, retrieves the boxart (or whatever the main image of the wiki page happens to be), and saves it locally.

I tried doing this in c#, but after some more research it seemed easier to do this in python.

you are in the right direction then

Do you have to know graphic design in order to make websites?

It certainly help making things that doesn't look like shit.
Some people don't care, but most do.

if you want to be a top notch front end dev you need to know about graphic design

if you're just a dude who's making a website you can slap bootstrap on it and maybe tweak the color scheme and fonts and call it a day

'Yes'.
If you aren't naturally good, keep resources handy.
Google and digo for:
>Color schemes
>Font pairing
>Random design magazines

Even the simplest shit can look artsy as fuck with proper fonts, colors and a couple of wow so deep pics.

Look up prebuilt scrapers. Python has a bunch of them. Tools like beautifulsoup and Scrapy (Spider is another, I think) will make the job much easier. They handle concurrency and such.

who /backend/ here?

Attached: dabbin.jpg (1024x999, 68K)