/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

I didn't see one in the catalog so here goes.
My AIO water cooler appears to be chirping.
I thought it was the case fans but I've toggled them a few times to troubleshoot and it definitely seems like it's coming from the hose or radiator.
Is it time to buy a new one or learn to build my own solution?

Attached: 1555965689775.jpg (1279x1290, 279K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=145489
rubenalamina.mx/2014/03/04/bitstreaming-audio-with-media-player-classic-home-cinema/
f-droid.org/en/packages/org.jak_linux.dns66/
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

why is there no do not watch/follow/subscribewhatever on reply button in Jow Forums x? only thing i found there is a button that disables the watch feature completely but i just want that it does not automatically follow threads that i reply to.

Any tips on making the captcha don't fuck up with my life? I don't know if coincidence but everytime the Firefox updates the captcha becomes impossible to solve for a while.

Someone mentioned a USB to 2.5 inch enclosure that can present ISO stored on it as separate bootable devices and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it.
Also what's a good SSD for that, write once read many is gonna be my use case so cheap is fine.

What is Jow Forums's suggested free music player for Android?
I've always used Apollo, but I discovered recently that it doesn't let you reorder playlists, and when checking to see if I needed to update or anything, it seems that it's in fact no longer being worked on.
I checked /mu/'s wiki, but they don't seem to list anything for phones.

Google Play Music

I wanted to ask this. Which is the best version that has that fix? Also, can I somehow turn it into a LTSC thing? Like, install it with all the latest updates and then block the new ones unless I manually install them, or only install security updates.

Do I insert my bluetooth chip into an x16 slot or x1 slot if I'm using it mainly for my wireless controller for PC gaming?

>Authorize Curious Cat to use your account?

>his application will be able to:

>Read Tweets from your timeline.
>See who you follow, and follow new people.
>Update your profile.
>Post Tweets for you.

Will not be able to:

>Access your direct messages.
>See your email address.
>See your Twitter password.

WHY THE FUCK WOULD SOMEONE DO THIS

THEY LITERALLY REQUEST EVERY PERMISSION EXCEPT PROBABLY WHAT TWITTER EXPLICITLY DISALLOWS

>have old laptop from 2009, c2d, 4gb ddr3
>only supports sata-I, 150mb/s
>currently has a wd black 7200rpm hdd in it
will upgrading it to a cheap ssd be noticeable in terms of speed? I'm using it every now and then for basic tasks like browsing and writing python scripts on the couch

Normies just click through that shit.
SSD will always make a huge difference. 2.5's are incredibly cheap now too.

Attached: 4f50349b3e6b2047294111a4a23553f9.jpg (565x753, 46K)

What should I do with all these kittens that my cat made? I don't really need them. Do people buy this kinda thing or should I just shoo them out the door and hope for the best?

Try giving away on craigslist or your region's equivalent. Perhaps see if the is a no-kill shelter in your area.
Also, get your damn cat spayed or neutered.

Attached: Kristen-Stewart-made-funny-face-Road-photocall.jpg (681x1024, 67K)

I thought I didn't need to because she's mostly an inside cat but I guess stuff happened somehow.

When choosing a FQDN for the hosts in my home network that I don't ever want to be connected to the internet, is the best way to buy a domain and use that for the computers that I don't want to be routable through the internet? That way I make sure that the names I use won't ever be made into something that can be accessed online right?

i tried but it didnt work

i felt stupid even trying since realistically they know already

i cant imagine every release of the program behaved like this since launch and nobody noticed

Attached: Untitled.png (1255x725, 36K)

is this retarded os a good decision? my use is school with maybe light gaming, i already own a Chromebook but literally nothing else.

Attached: 2019-07-12 (2).png (978x273, 21K)

So I'm building a from scratch brand new pc and selling my old one. Is it advisable to do a fresh install of windows instead of cloning a drive over to a new one? Also what is the best way to delete all my files on my old drives to sell it?

Seems fine, what games did you have in mind though?
If using windows 10 you should be able to transfer now without issue. Best practice is fresh install. ninite is your friend.
As far as deleting the old stuff. You could just do the easy mode "reset this pc" if win10. Or boot some linux distro and low level format.

Attached: 1555734966079.jpg (535x796, 270K)

sprite shit, Minecraft, emulation, niche racing (distance ballistic ng grip redout), the occasional roguelike or dwarf fortress adventure, maybe apex idk how i feel about that one yet.

Thanks user

Attached: to_aru_kagaku_no_railgun_meganekko_desktop_1200x1622_hd-wallpaper-833155.jpg (1200x1622, 1.28M)

You could probably go even cheaper with that list. Some onboard video option perhaps?

Jow Forums x can highlight a post if it contains a certain word.
How can I make it highlight the actual word in the post?

Attached: 16085724.png (485x635, 180K)

black player

except im also rendering arch drawings and dont want to have to worry. or maybe thats stupid? idk can you rec something, i know very little about this stuff and used logical increments and other babby sites.

Rendering with which program?

Attached: 1470978400022.jpg (560x423, 56K)

It's in the menu on the thread watcher.

autodesk suite, im an arch major

There's like five different apps by that name on the store, and the link in the Jow Forums wiki is dead. The first result in the Play Store is also not free.
Do you know the publisher or have a link or something?

"FifthSource"

Depends on the renderer I guess, and if you use it. Nvidia is "usually" more popular for renders but I haven't touched autodesk stuff since maya was personal learning edition.
Some quick googling shows it won't matter much for CAD, just a "decent" gpu.

Attached: 1379824522081.jpg (1400x1123, 379K)

but why do they allow having such permissions? theres no reason for some external botnet having permission to update the profile or post something.

weird.. im sure that i looked in every possible menu but somehow i still missed that.

Yep, that's the one that isn't free.

You can't. But hey, Jow Forums x is open source so you can implement that feature yourself :^)

Ah, sorry.
But it does let you reorder songs in playlists.
And plays .m3u playlists.

on my phone, my mobile isp blocks posting to Jow Forums but not viewing it, i think they didnt bloc k the host oe something lol. anyway, is there a way arouns this? im not rooted so idk if i can change the dns. i did on my router easily.

I purchased a kit of 3200MHz RAM and went into the BIOS of my Asus motherboard to overclock them. Stock was 2133MHz and 1.2V so I changed it to 3200MHz and 1.35V which booted fine without issues, but when I check the memory with HWInfo/CPUZ it displays the timings as 16-22-22-53 when it's advertised as 16-18-18-36. Does this also have to be configured manually through the BIOS, and why isn't the stock value 16-18-18-36 as advertised? Is this also considered an overclocked value just like the advertised speed is actually an overclock from the standard 2133MHz?

Attached: 4895508_sa.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550.jpg (550x222, 21K)

What if you want to write an app that will read incoming texts to a phone and then post those texts as tweets to a twitter account? I'm sure there are more use cases.
Even if all of them are arguably dumb or unimportant, isn't it ultimately the user's responsibility to know what permissions they're granting the apps? I don't see why the manufacturer should have the responsibility of disallowing apps from requesting those permissions at all.

It's only $3, so I'll keep it in mind, but I'm actually going to try out Google Play Music first. It's already on my phone and I've never actually used it.

Does anyone have recommendations for some learning resources for C? I've taken a basic Java course and a Java course about data structures but need C for my micro-processing class and don't know where to start

4chanpass

vinyl on fsroid

yes. ae you on ryzen2/intel? enable the xmp so you dont have to fuck with the timings. and btw theres about 40 actual ram timings, not just 4 that you need to calculate when setting

i mean dennis ritchie wrote extensively on it so why not read it?

>4chanpass
Isn't it still crypto-only? Buying Bitcoin/Litecoin is such a hassle.

>Are you on Ryzen
Thanks. Yeah, I'm on a 2600. I didn't see any option for XMP (I read somewhere that XMP is Intel only and that AMD had something equivalent called AMP?) so I just altered the speed and voltage which seems to work fine but I guess I'll go into the BIOS again and see if I can find the XMP settings. If I use an automated profile it will set the correct timings for me, right?

just thought that they would think about the average user. it sure isnt some skilled programmer that would do such things. those users barely know how to start the app.

ignore the shill and install the 4chanx extension and configure it properly or the phone app if you are one of those fags.

no, just email them for the paypal link

i cant remember the amd name but yeah just click it, ryzen 2 was so much easier than the fun of ryzen 1

>thought that they would think about the average user
Why should they care about the average user being dumb and granting apps invasive privacy permissions without reading them?

t. unapologetic jew
>What if you want to write an app that will read incoming texts to a phone and then post those texts as tweets to a twitter account?
What does that even mean. Automatic spam and leaking other people's messages to you? Wow sure need that on muh platform, and coming from some shit question and answer website

Should I use a higher cluster size than the default on Windows for NTFS on a 1TB USB external hard drive?

Thanks for the help. I found the settings under AI Tweaker - > AI overclock tuner where I could change from auto to D.O.C.P. which automatically set it to 3200MHz 16-18-18-36 which is also what CPUZ is now reporting. Glad it went so smoothly after reading about so many people having issues overclocking and reaching advertised speeds with their Ryzen systems.

I'm really grateful for the help and will try to repay it by helping other people in future /sqt/. A bit shocked as well that there are actually helpful people on G and not just raging fanboys and trolls...

Attached: index(16).jpg (2000x1000, 123K)

Not only do some features like filesystem compression stop working with cluster sizes over 4K, the compatibility with third-party tools and devices is also worse. At that cluster size, NTFS can scale up to 16 TB just fine.
Only for some applications (video editing, SQL Server, video games which consolidate their assets into gigabyte-sized files) as well as volumes larger than that it's recommended to raise the cluster size up to 64K.
At the very least, don't be like that one retard on Jow Forums who increased their NTFS cluster size all the way to 1 MB and then came to complain how wasteful their filesystem is. There's no sensible use case for that.

I have a TV separately conected to my pc via 20feet long HDMI cable.

Now I want to buy an 5.1 speaker setup for it (Looking at z906 for $180 new). It has Optical audio input. Will that work with my TV (it has output)

Attached: 1521235281754.jpg (552x436, 23K)

Aight thanks.

The optical interface from the TV to your speakers only has enough bandwidth to either transfer uncompressed PCM stereo audio or 5.1/7.1 e.g. compressed with Dolby Digital or DTS.
This is fine if you're using a media center on PC which can just pass such audio tracks (coming from DVD, Blu-ray or compatible media files) directly over HDMI. The TV has to support pass through over optical itself.
If you want to use your speaker system for video games with more than 2 channels, your sound driver has to support Dolby/DTS 5.1 encoding. There's many success and failure stories about that.

I'm fine with only Mediacenter stuff (Living in an third world country, so most of my stuff are torrents).

I use both VLC and MPC-HC, both should handle those Audio tracks just fine right? All I need to do is set the Audio source to my TV.

Thanks the quick help!

Attached: Captain_King_Approves.jpg (965x724, 71K)

well thats all g, i used to build professionally. its a soul crushing job.

Even if it doesn't work at first, both VLC and MPC-HC have a "pass-through" or "bitstreaming" option that you just have to enable.
e.g.
forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=145489
rubenalamina.mx/2014/03/04/bitstreaming-audio-with-media-player-classic-home-cinema/

My mouse takes several agonizing seconds to recover from big lift offs, is this shit normal?

Attached: 1548555970523.gif (659x660, 1.31M)

big thank you btw, and checked

Blackplayer is pretty good, you could get an apk of the paid version and use that.
Pulsar is not bad iirc. And google play music is ass don't bother with it.

>google play music is ass don't bother with it
Yeah, I had a look at it. I didn't realize it was primarily a subscription/streaming service.
In hindsight it should've been obvious, being Google Play and all.

I can't be the only one on /v/ using a debloated version of Win10 right?
The stupid question is: How do I update that shit manually while still keeping it debloated and free of cortana/ads bullshit?
I disabled the updates entirely 2 years ago. I'm on Win10 version 1703. I only want to update for DXR and the new multithreading scheduler.
Help. I never managed to find anything about this anywhere

Attached: 1533711841092.png (438x418, 101K)

Blackplayer works great, however I'm running into an odd issue:
I recently downloaded a shit ton of music from Youtube with youtube-dl and had it try to automatically add the video thumbnails as covers for each file. The album covers for these files are misbehaving in Blackplayer.
>click a song
>it has another song's cover art
>skip forward to a song that didn't come from youtube-dl
>skip forward again, another song with the wrong cover art
>skip back to first song, still has the wrong cover art but now it's different and is what the third song should have had
Any ideas? Is youtube-dl just shit at doing the embedded-cover-art thing? Is there a better program for that, or would Blackplayer be able to sort it out if I just dump all the images right into the folder?
It's not a big deal either way.

Why are Ubuntu repos so old sometimes? qBittorrent is still on 4.0.3. LibreOffice is on an old version too. Why do they not update this?

What are some fun things to do with LaTeX? Currently keeping my diary and recipe book with it. I wanna work with it more but I have no ideas.

Cute

How does exhentai know that i already logged in e-hentai? I thought you cannot access cookies from other domain? Is this what they call SSO?

They're following Debian's "stable" approach of sticking with one set of versions within one release and only backporting security patches to the old versions as feasible, so that everything stays "stable" regarding to features and bugs.

Both sites call out to a common third-party domain to make the association.
There's other ways, such like 4channel.org loading syncframe.html in a hidden iframe from Jow Forums.org and vice versa to sync threads in the thread watcher.

arch or void?

/tv/ doesn't have a stupid questions thread. Where can I find a good library of 4k movies? I've tried Netflix but the selection is pretty small. Downloading them from torrents makes me worry for my hard drive at the rips at like 60gb

any actual freeware tools that limit bandwidth consumption of specific programs/processes?

pretty much all of the ones ive seen are infected with adware and spyware

Is it safe to build a pc on a wooden floor if you're barefoot and you've cleaned the dust the best you can?

someone recommended this here before. it uses the inbuilt VPN shit to redirect everything so it doesnt need root. also gives you blocklists and shit, so no ads either.
f-droid.org/en/packages/org.jak_linux.dns66/

Netflix "4k" is ass. Extremely bitstarved. You don't just shave off 2/3 of you file size and have it look the same. 4k is just something that current transmission mediums and network speeds aren't up to. You can find rips at varying levels of quality in between, but often you're better just getting a good 1080 rip.

What's a good 1080p rip? I normally just grab the official rarbg ones which range from 2-4gb. The resolution is correct but I understand that the bit rate is lower as well as the audio, but the audio isn't that important to me

just manage your autostart and only run whats nessecary

yeah dont worry, static isnt nearly as dangerous as people make it out to be

You can get remuxes, which are actual untouched rips, and they'll be a lot smaller than their 4k counterparts. Generally you can guess based on size how good it'll be and go from there, figure out how much matters to you and how your PC handles scaling.

Also 10bit rips do better per size, so you can cheat a bit there. Another factor is how good the creator is at optimizing their settings for the contents, and how long they spend encoding it. The longer you take, the better it looks per mb, which is why your yiffy grade rips tend to look like ass.

>Parents want netflix
>Only have a TV and smartphone
What's the best way for them to watch it?
Something like amazon fire and use their phone as hotspot?

Attached: 42795315.png (426x396, 212K)

pastebin.com/smjvLZN4

Search msmg

I installed win7 on my mom's laptop not looking at the specs and it's slow as shit

It's a core 2 duo with 4gb ram

Should I just put Linux on it instead?

Thanks, so basically I use msmg on the update isos from Microsoft?

get a rasbpi and put kodi on there with the netflix addon. then install kodi remote app on phone. good and ez

just use a chromecast ( if they have android)
if they dont have wifi at home a hotspot would be the next best thing, just keep the limit on their data-plan in mind

depends, if she is using win-only programms just stick with it. If the laptop is going to be a internet-machiine just use linux

Yeah. Also you should take regular updates, they impact security and stability. The only thing you need to be careful of is upgrades, which shouldn't happen for almost a year and a half after a new version comes out. You can always set a metered connection and check manually if you're paranoid, although that has a tendency to install beta updates.

Yeh she just browses the internet and watches Netflix

What distro should I put on it mint or something

I have to replace a 8GB ram from a prebuilt HP system. Will there be a performance increase if I install 2x4GB RAM instead of 1x8GB RAM like before?
Its 40bucks for the two instead of 30 for the single RAM.

What's the current state of home networking? The last time I bought a WiFi router was 2015.
Is it better to buy an all-in-one router (and install OpenWRT on it), one of those mesh Wi-Fi things (Google Wi-Fi or TP-Link Deco), or a wired router + Ubiquiti AP setup like all the cool kids on reddit have?

just use lubuntu, should work great on a low-spec machine and is pretty user-friendly

thanks man
Honestly since I never had a single problem with this Windows in over 2 years I prefer giving up on ""stability"" and security if it means not having to deal with a computer that randomly turns off while I'm working and being scared shitless of something going wrong at each reboots. But I'll clean and install the features releases and hope they include the most important security patches.

i need two retard-proof ways to auto shutdown a PC. of course theres the old way of scheduled shutdowns but i dont really keep to a schedule

what i want is to be able to set a specific and customizable way to do a countdown that shuts off my PC.

the other being a simple.exe that i can attach to a downloader/torrent client to launch when it finishes to initiate a shutdown countdown (just enough leeway so that the files dont get corrupted if pc shuts down too quickly) when it completes downloading

Manjaro
If the system supports DDR, which it ought to if it's made in the last 15+ years. Though very minimal

So i'm filthy guy who doesn't do ANY backups, what do you guys backup? and where to backup? copying shit to another drive is somewhat scary, what if that drive got fucked? cloud seems better desu

>copying shit to another drive is somewhat scary, what if that drive got fucked?
then you still have the original copy
remember kids: moving shit to an external hdd is not a backup
a backup is a SECOND COPY of data
if you lose data because your backup hdd died, it wasn't a backup in the first place

If your program supports events then you can point it to shutdown.exe.
If your program has an option to "quit when finished" then you could poll if the application is still running and then shutdown if it quit.
You could also poll the filesize of the files downloaded, and if it no longer increases after a certain time you shutdown.

also if the client has an option to move completed downloads to a separate directory, you could watch that for new files

>what do you guys backup?
personal stuff and music torrents from private trackers.
Not backing up movies or games though, they're too large and easy to replace if they get lost.

most torrent clients have an option to run something after completing downloads, you can tell it to run "shutdown /s" (windows) or "poweroff" (linux)

>music torrents from private trackers.

good idea i might do something similar, i thought about backing up osu! (rhythm game with a lot of songs) but realised it was fucking 250gb

How much should I pay attention to licenses and code of conducts for personal projects? I take inspiration of a lot of things on github and elsewhere and might eventually make two figures a month with this so I don't want to get sued.

Attached: proxy.lycos.jpg (474x332, 28K)