/odg/ - Optical Disc General

What was the last time you used an optical disc?

Resources:
osta.org/technology/cdqa2.htm
infogalactic.com/info/DVD-RAM
youtube.com/channel/UCy0tKL1T7wFoYcxCe0xjN6Q
^- for high-quality OD review videos

Attached: IMG_20190711_181701.jpg (5120x3840, 3.45M)

Other urls found in this thread:

makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17582
youtube.com/watch?v=aNAwMmWLFTs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Last night, just to rip this.

Attached: IMG_20190711_112222164.jpg (3840x1920, 2.35M)

Were you using an external or internal drive?

On my PC? Last week I think. I tried playing a Blu-Ray with mpv.
On my TV? Yesterday.

I use DVDs all the time. They are the most reliable method for creating bootable ISO media.
Try creating a bootable DBAN flash drive (or zip disquette) without resorting to Rufus.

Attached: melmol.jpg (960x960, 123K)

Internal. Was looking into those 4K drives, but from what I see, you have to jump through hoops for it to rip those.

are there any optical drive emulator for IDE except console ones yet?

>Internal.
Based. Most people here don't bother installing disc drives on their PC, right now I have both an external and internal drives.
>4K drives
You need to downgrade the drivers, from what I've heard.
Have you tried using them for archiving? I recommend using 50Gb Blu-rays since they're not as expensive as BDXL, but hold twice the data the usual BD offers. And indeed discs are good for booting. I once tried saving KDE Neon iso on an 8cm disc, but after making a proper cover I've realized the file's too large.

>I tried
Lel, I tried doing that with Nero software, still couldn't do it. But on a Blu-ray player everything worked fine.

Yeah. That's why I usually remux Blu-Rays that I want to watch on my PC (actually DVDs as well, because mpv's lack of menu support).

What is your remuxing software of choice?

>file's too large.
That can be an issue for DVDs as well. I haven't transitioned to Blue-Ray, I'm comfy with tried & tested reliable (and cheap) DVD's, using dual-layer when needed for large images like OSX.

MakeMKV

What is the best (for the buck) reader/writer for bluray+dvd+cd?

Yeah, DVD's are cheap and most of them are fairly reliable, even DL ones. Just don't buy Indian-made ones because they're of poor quality.
What are the brands that you trust? I usually go for Verbatim since they're easy to find & their discs are reliable. Sony, TDK and Maxell are even better, unless manufactured in India.

25GB discs are much cheaper and probably even more reliable due to a single layer of data.

i have a internal drive but im considering removing it so i can install a hdd cage there instead. need that extra space and the case does not have room for it without removing the drive or removing parts of the front cover and i dont really have the tools for that

It's a shame bluray writers are stupidly expensive.

BW-16D1H-U PRO supports everything - even DVD-RAM and is great as Blu-ray reader, it's best for BD-DL and BDXL, too. Never gave me a reading error.
ASUS SBC-06D2X-U is basically the drive above, but more compact, however it may not read BDXL properly on the first try, can't format BDXL and lacks DVD-RAM support. It also eats up two USB ports and has a short cable, but it's also cheaper. (pic related)

Attached: IMG_20190712_134203_s.jpg (2000x1500, 1.8M)

Thank you for the quick reply, is it reliable to save family photos in a BD disc?

I don't know about DBAN, but I've made tons of bootable flash drives no problem, both BIOS and UEFI.

Probably a few years ago.
>not having a NAS with all your movies backed up to it and streamable from it
brap

Yes, they're even more reliable than DVD's and CD's due to the inorganic layer used instead of a dye, plus anti-scratch and dirt layer technology Durabis. I save all kind of crap on my BD's, but they're mostly RE, not BD-R.

I payed $50 in 2016. They are cheap.

Using what methods?
Without using Rufus some non-hybrid ISO's simply won't work.
And please don't suggest dd.

I payed $90 for , and it supports both BDXL and M-DISC. Indeed they're cheap.

I actually recently spent $100 on an LG 4K UHD BD-XL capable internal drive. Took some voodoo to get the firmware write protection to falloff so I could flashback to firmware 1.00 instead of 1.03, but now I can rip UHD Blu-ray.

Gonna stick with ripping regular 1080p shit for now though. 4k rip is 65GB and takes stupid hardware to actually play it back. My living room HTPC GT710 is struggling

>Took some voodoo to get the firmware write protection to falloff
How did you do it?

Are Blu-Rays well supported though? DVD's + or minus are almost 100% guaranteed to work on any device/software after 2003 (picking that year as a wild guess tb󠋡h) but I worry Blu-rays might lack such ample support.

The MakeMKV forums have modified OEM flash tools with modified firmwares for nearly every popular model of Blu-ray drive. I had to use the LG flash too and cross flash my LG drive with a modified Asus 3.10 firmware. The PC identified the drive as an Asus model (non function of course). Then since that 3.10 firmware has write protection turned off, you can then downgrade flash the LG 1.00 firmware. Each drive is different though. Some drives which say they only support regular Blu-ray actually could be flashed to support UHD stuff, while others would be bricked. My LG model is a UHD official drive, so it took a different way to flash it down.

However if you're not about all this nonsense, I think there are several sellers in the MakeMKV forums who sell pre-flashed, ready to go drives.

Yesterday. I ran memtest on my laptop because I thought it was my gparted disk. Now I still need to burn a new gparted disk sometime ...

Yes, picking a proper drive might be tricky, since it's the latest gen of optical media, so the standards are broad. Check the drive's description for BDXL, M-DISC, etc. support, but don't worry about your PC supporting the drive, since they are installed automatically and the interaction between PC and BD media is on hardware level, the machine just asks for needed files and the drive does all the reading. You might also check the Operating Systems that the drive can work with.

For the longest time I used Maxell, and they seemed good. Then I invested in 250 Kodak DVD's because they were on sale at a local drug store. I just checked, they're made in India.

Thanks. I was also worrying about what he's described , especially the protection issues.

>DVD's + or minus are almost 100% guaranteed to work on any device/software after 2003
That's not true for my collection of Professional Line of JVC VHS/DVD combo units that sold for $500-$1000 in 2008. They only work with DVD-R and DVD-RW, it's really dumb and no great reason for it considering how expensive they were at the time. Maybe JVC got a bunch of old DVD Drives to maximize profits.

Why wouldn't I suggest dd? For pre-baked images it's by far the easiest solution.
Other than that, I've made my own BIOS Grub1 and Grub2 boot drives by installing Grub's stage1 to the MBR, and UEFI disks just by creating the UEFI directory structure.

WH14NS40

It's cheap, $50. It plays any Bluray, DVD, and CD. And it's one of the few drives that supports 4K UHD Bluray ripping, you just have to download the older firmware. Many other 4K Bluray drives are locked from the start.

Attached: 31jYc9cXEmL.jpg (500x387, 12K)

>only work with DVD-R and DVD-RW
Seriously? I thought that +/- shit was settled earlier.

>I just checked, they're made in India
Geg :-D
Half my non-rewritable discs are, too.
>Maxell
I have their DVD-RAM discs, they performed great, so far no issues, except for one RAM2 disc that I accidentally scratched. Have you tried DVD-RAM? It's supported on all CD/DVD drives, has 10'000 rewrites, can be formatted to FAT32 and allows for random access of files (you can play two videos at once or listen to music while browsing photos). More info in OP.

I have that drive. Cost me $35 on sale and it does everything you mentioned. Except 4k support. Mine absolutely refused. I bought the LG WH16NS60 for that. M-disc and official UHD certified

My best experience is with Phillips players, btw. I found an old one in recycling the other day and snatched it ASAP. They are excellent for handling DivX.

Yup, I've owned 3 of them (SR-MV45 and SR-MV50). No idea why JVC went with these drives on such expensive equipment in the late 2000s, the DVD drives on these units are also well known to fail. I only like them for the S-VHS side of the unit.

I switched to PXE booting years ago.

>installing Grub's stage1 to the MBR
How do you do this?

>Mine absolutely refused. I bought the LG WH16NS60 for that.
You use the older firmware on the WH14NS40?

makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17582

>DVD-RAM
Too complicated for me. I keep it as simple as possible.

Well, on Grub 1 it was really easy, since it had its own built-in installation commands. Grub 2 is a bit more strange. Not difficult once you understand it, but it's not as obvious. I followed this guide:

But it's not. It's a DVD that acts as a flash drive.

Maybe I just had a bad flash file. I flashed as far back as I could and it would soon up the disc, but not actually do anything.

>Grub 1
Just to be clear, where are these installed, the boot media or the HDD?

What do you mean? If you want to make a medium bootable, then obviously the bootloader needs to be present on it.

>but not actually do anything.
Yeah seems like you have to do when booting the computer or something. Idk.

Note: photos of discs are appreciated. The best can end up as OP pic.

bump

Can I burn an encrypted container to a disc? Like I made a 2GB encrypted container with Veracrypt, could I then burn it to an M-disc? Can non M-disc rated drives read M-discs?

>Can non M-disc rated drives read M-discs
They can, I've tested it.
Regarding burning, sure you can burn whatever you wish, just be sure to format the disc to UDF or ISO. Windows does iso formatting automatically while you burn the files, to format a disc to UDF you must choose to use it as a flash drive.
Some drives offer their own encryption, and Nero has SecurDisc option, which optimizes the burnt files and can encrypt them.

>Nero
I actually got a copy of that for free when j bought my UHD drive. I'll see about the secureburn stuff then. I'm just trying to make a backup of a plaintext document and several scanned files. Plaintext being every username and password for everything I've ever used online. Scans of my car title, deed for my house, etc

Good for you, then. SecurDisc copies the files you've chosen several times, until the disc is full. You can use BD-R, too, not just M-DISC. Unlike DVD's and CD's, the BD data layer is inorganic, which prevents it from rot. There's also a layer of Durabis for scratch/dirt resistance.

Oh ok that's awesome. Thanks for the info user

Attached: 9D60B8F935D44550B3B8A0D29BF5B74D.jpg (1024x768, 200K)

mfw optical discs are now considered vintage nostalgia tech

i looove it when you go to a comfy air bnb and they have a great blu-ray collection

4 month before to dub anime from blu-ray recorder to disc because HDD almost full.

Pic related is my recorder.

Attached: Panasonic DMR-SUZ2060.jpg (972x1200, 564K)

I buy music on them

reminder to back up your laserdiscs
youtube.com/watch?v=aNAwMmWLFTs

Looks nice.
Me too
>paying for something you can't actually own
Streamfags, everyone.

>What was the last time you used an optical disc?
Yesterday
I still use them a lot.

What for? Archiving?

I watch Laserdiscs all the time. The picture quality is so much better than DVD or Blu-Ray that it's not even funny. Better blacks and dark area detail, better colors, and much easier searching.

If you're not already a Laserdisc fan, you're just a pleb.

I also listen to CDs on my vintage CD players using Philips TDA1540/1541 DACs, which sound much better than the new bitstream do-it-all trash used in almost all new CD players costing under $20,000. There is no replacement for the Philips TDA series DACs, and they've been out of production for over 25 years.

Archiving stuff mostly
Making dvd version from VHS tapes, mostly old people that have their vacation movies on them but dont own a vhs player anymore to watch them.
I also make backup discs from slides and negatives (need to split them in folders of 500 images each or most dvd players cant view them all).
Bootdiscs for stuff like hirens and the like but I think that will go away once I get the IODD that I ordered
which is a virtual cdrom drive that can mount isos, no more making convoluted usb sticks with some shitty program to boot multiple discs.
I still use them on a weekly basis at the very least and I think the only thing that could possibly replace them at this point would be cheap sd cards in a 3,5 inch floppy format, the space would allows tonnes of cheaper low density chips to be used in comparison to an sd and mircosd and make them somewhat competitive to cds and dvds.

I asked this last thread but this general is as dead as optical media.

I have an old iMac I want to install Ubuntu on. The drive is dead. It can't boot off USB. If I were to use a USB optical drive could I boot off a CD inserted in that?

4k ripper here. I have a subscription with CinemaParadiso which allows me to rent discs in the mail. I get them, I record to the PC as .mkv for no loss of data then it goes in the Plex library.

I don't stream and I don't watch TV as it is broadcast. I'd rather wait and get the Blu Ray or 4k and have it in a library.

>If I were to use a USB optical drive could I boot off a CD inserted in that?
>CD
Is ubuntu really that small? I think you can boot like that, but with higher capacity formats such as DVD.
Based 4k ripper.
Have you ever used DVD-RAM? I have a DVD/VHS combo unit, but it also accepts cartridged DVD-RAM discs, I'm gonna check their performance soon.

Attached: DVDRAM_case_and_disc.jpg (988x772, 94K)

That's not really the point of the question user, it's whether booting off a USB optical drive would work if I can't boot off a flash drive.

M-Disc media for all backups for several years now. Backup strategy using multiple disc sets (10) with PAR and never burning more than 3.8GB of actual data to a disc (since the most errors on optical media happen in the outer edge areas past the ~3.8GB point) - that additional ~.5GB or so is used for PAR file storage which can tolerate losing some data because, well, it's fucking PAR technology, go learn about it, you ignorant fucks).

Never lost one byte of data with the strategy I've been using for 10+ years now, don't expect to start losing data anytime soon either hence the M-Disc choice.

Attached: M-Disc_Translucent.jpg (2328x1746, 2.47M)

Do you have an external ODD? Then try booting off the DVD, but I doubt it will work if booting off a flash drive didn't work. The drive will be registered as an external USB device, akin to USB flash drives.

>PAR
>never burning more than 3.8GB of actual data to a disc
Thanks, never knew that. Also, is that your own original image? If so, I remember you. Nice thread there in the background.
Have you tried M-DISC BDXL? I have one such disc, it's still unpacked. When I'll have to archive something huge permanently, I'll use it.

Yeah, that's my pic I took in the past for a previous /odg/ thread. I don't use BD media, never have, more than likely never will, just not willing to trust that much data to one piece of media even if I were to use the same strategy of sets and PAR tech to make 'em.

I'm not a data hoarder as I said in previous /odg/ threads, I don't bother backing up movie files (even though everything I have on hard drives and SSD currently is 720p and always fits inside the 3.8GB cap anyway, if it didn't I could split it I suppose).

The ~3.8GB point has been shown in testing (done over that the old CDFreaks website now called something else) to be a point where the burning process isn't as error-prone as it is on the inner sections of the optical media, regardless of the type used (and I'm speaking of DVD5 only here) like DVD-R or +R or even -RW, doesn't matter.

The inner sections are more stable during the spin and burn but after that ~3.8GB part it requires a lot more error correction because of vibration and instability - let's face it, spinning any disc at high RPMs is inherently going to be unstable the further you are away from the spindle so those outer edges tend to be where you see the error correction kicking in to higher and higher degrees.

You can do a burn of most any kind then do a quality test on the media (assuming the drive is capable of it) using an app like Opti-Drive Control or something and you'll always see a somewhat flat (not perfect of course) line from the beginning (the innermost point) of the disc surface till about the ~3.8GB point into the media and that's when you see spikes of error correction happening regardless of the burning method (CAV or CLV).

Once I learned this a long long time ago I've never had issues with burning DVD5. I used Taiyo Yuden media whenever I could get it which arguably was the best traditional optical media available but after M-Disc came out I switched and never went back.

Bluray drives make the small peepee the big peepee

Attached: 1562669774967.gif (640x480, 1.26M)

>Have you ever used DVD-RAM? I have a DVD/VHS combo unit, but it also accepts cartridged DVD-RAM discs, I'm gonna check their performance soon.
I've never seem them available where I live so I've never gotten to try them.
It doesn't matter that much since I only use the dvd's once and I don't need to rewrite them 10K times.
I'd like it if it made a comeback though.
Floppy sized blu-ram disks with those cartridges could be exactly what I want as a replacement for the old timey floppy.

Nice to meet you again. I never knew about the 3.8Gb cap before, but it's useful info, thanks. I've recently burned an M-Disc with personal photos and videos, which were in Full HD, but short and there's really just 3 of them. I've also printed an image on top of that disc, I really like designing those.
How does PAR compare to SecurDisc, for example? SecurDisc can work even with the outer edge, since its principle is to copy the same files many times, so damaged areas can be replaced with identical ones from other parts of the disc.

lately I've been burning BD-DL discs of mainly criterion and WB archive releases

It's nice to not have to store remuxes on a spinning disc that might fail

I dislike that my player, Sony UBP-X800 cant read the third layer on a BDXL disc though

Also a fan of buying cds

Attached: IMG_20181218_121057 - Copy.jpg (4048x3036, 3.31M)

I have the same drive, user
Works pretty well

>Floppy sized blu-ram disks with those cartridges
Actually sounds like a good idea. There was a company that developed the next gen after BD, which was HVD, which could hold up to 6Tb of data, but the company went bankrupt.
But really, BD-RAM would be as based as it could get, I still can't get used to accessing only one file at a time on BD after frequent use of DVD-RAM.

Nice CD collection, buying physical media for music gives you power over the corporations, because you actually OWN it.
These external drives support BDXL and you can watch movies on them with the right software.

I can play BDXL discs with my WH14NS40 drive but I do the majority of my viewing on a large LG OLED display in a different room. Thats where I have the Sony UBP-X800. I orignally bought it to play super audio cds. Most of the T-Square discs are SACD Hybrids.

Attached: Casiopea - Mint Jams.jpg (600x582, 127K)

>Most of the T-Square discs are SACD Hybrids
I have Bach's motets on a CD/SACD hybrid disc, but the machine that operated with the 5.1 audio broke and now the SACD part is kinda pointless. Do you have an operating 5.1 audio system?

Yea one of my setups is 5.1
I also got a 5 disc changer that plays SACD discs but for some reason it wont read the hybrid layer