/pmp/ - Personal Media Players General

Movie Props Edition
This thread is for the discussion of portable mp3/FLAC/OGG Vorbis players.
>inb4 phone
>inb4 spotify
Useful Guide(s)
• The General /pmp/ Guide spit.mixtape.moe/view/fefcb363
• Converting an iPod video 5G/5.5G to a rockboxed player with an msata SSD and a 3000 mAh battery nullvoid.station.moe/Freedom-Hardware/Video5G-Rockbox/
• Third party battery guide
iflash.xyz/3rd-party-extended-battery-guide/Guide for iPod 6G/7G needs adding/making
• Reminder to use Rockbox DEV builds when available.
• Use the SonyNWDestTool to remove the volume limiter/warnings on most of the Walkman series
rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool

• Archived Threads : rbt.asia/g/search/subject/pmp/

Attached: scorched.jpg (665x1080, 305K)

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20170708033500/http://nullvoid.station.moe/Freedom-Hardware/Video5G-Rockbox/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I got this app called Pandora also fuck your unoriginal copypaste bullshit.

Of course it had to be a fucking tripfaggot.

it's almost 20 years now.

Attached: IMG_20190712_1811153.jpg (4032x3024, 623K)

but what if reception goes out in your area?
>implying you even go outside, let alone be on the freeway
oh

FiiO M3 is a crappy replacement for Sansa Clip.
Although aestetics and build quality are decent, UI is utter shit and the screen is as bright as Sansa's (which is not enough for sunny day).
The search continues.

Attached: mp3-pleer-fiio-m3-.jpg (484x405, 49K)

Nah, fuck off cunt. DAP/PMP threads are much better when they're one-offs. Not everything needs to be a cancer general, you fucking newfags.

Attached: image.jpg (596x892, 317K)

>you fucking newfags
These threads have been going on since before you started browsing the board

No shit, it's a perpetual cycle you fucking dumbass. Newfags don't know the correct time and place for generals.

No, I'm not going to spoonfeed you any more.

Even if the threads are occasional, they have always been called 'generals', you fucking idiot.

Holy shit. Your trip is just dedicated for shit posting in every thread. I figured you were actually stupid. I feel a lot better about humanity.

Attached: 1562104210567.jpg (330x344, 15K)

You sperg out at what you think is the creation of a "new general" that has existed for a long time, yet you didn't cry when /iemg/ got created.

>dudes throwing shit at jannie
lost it

Attached: 1558664415978.jpg (634x853, 67K)

Are there any good options new or used if one wants an MP3 player that runs on AA or AAA batteries that doesn't limit you to 4 GB or less worth of storage?

do you record your own MD's?

trying too hard

yes, i do. some artists still have releases on them, mostly vapor- and synthwave.

was meant for

What do you use to write to the mini discs? Is it possible to get a mountable reader / writer? I've never been able to find one.

Nullvoid.moe link is dead for me

i use a md deck from 1997 and record from cds or tape or plug in my laptop to record from streams.

Wasn't there a data option for md's as well?

yeah, later on they released the md hd and you could write compatible md on compatible players via some fucked up software directly, but it was still awefully slow and the were were insanely expensive.

Yeah, Hi-MD is my daily driver for music at work (we are required to lock our phones away because secure site)

Attached: IMG_20190324_110936678_HDR.jpg (4160x3120, 2.56M)

very nice! i thoug about upgrading, but it's still very expensive. from time to time i buy used mds from a local craigslist clone so i'm still happy.

>still
Au contraire, it's getting more expensive all the time. My MZ-RH1 which cost £300 back in '07 is now worth 6-700 and discs which were £5-8 new are now selling for 30. Lithium gumstick batteries are ludicrously pricey.

Glad I bought enough discs back in the day to last me and I know how to re-cell the batteries otherwise the whole system would be far beyond my reach, financially.

yeah, just checked on ebay, prices are insane. good decks are in the higher three digits, it's even more horrible than with vinyl. fuck sony for discontinuing it.

can you walk me through the recording process?
I have a friend that was doing it and the levels were really terrible

I got an iPod video yesterday. Kinda bummed that audible stereo AAX files don't work on it natively, but mono AA does. M4B also works, but transcoding takes too long.
Also sucks that there's no differentiation between music and audiobooks in the software.
Rockbox feels like a letdown too.

Hope you didn't get a faulty model, some iPod videos have a flaw that causes the audio IC to desolder itself.
You should've gone for a classic or a photo.

>It's the guy with the anecdotal evidence again
Just because yours happened to be faulty, it doesn't mean it was a widespread issue.

Not him, but I used to use MiniDisc as my source of portable music until 2015.
Use an actual deck for recording, not a portable machine. I use an MDS-JE480. The later the deck, the better the ATRAC encoding will be.
If you're recording from a digital source, use S/PDIF.
If you're recording from an analog source, make sure your levels are properly set before the signal enters the deck. All level control in the MD machine is done digitally, so if the input is overloaded with a signal that's too hot, it won't matter if you set the level lower in the recording settings.

It was, fucking google it.
There even was a recall program.

>fucking google it.
That's a great source right there.

>please spoonfeed me!

You want to win an argument while making the other party do all your work. I hope you realize how stupid that is.

Are the new Cowons any good? I have a decade old D2+ but the buttons are finally failing on it

bump seconding the question in the post above mine

Found an old iPod I had (Nano, 3rd Gen). Of course, it's about 12 years old at this point, so the battery life is trash, so I figured I'd just install a new battery. However, I don't have a soldering kit and my soldering skills are mediocre at best. Should I just buy a 5th gen iPod Classic and Rockbox it like in the OP or just buy a "new" 40 pin connector and make sure the Nano is on power at all times? It works fine besides the battery being shot.

I have some parts coming in a few days for my Video. An iflash, clear front panel, and a new hold/volume control since I broke the hold ribbon on mine while swapping in a new battery. I have a question for some of you, do you prefer the thinner ipods or the thicker versions? I have an old 20gb Photo that I've never used because it had a bad battery when I first bought it, but I love how it feels when compared to my 30gb Video which is about a third slimmer.

Attached: IMG_20190712_205547.jpg (2037x1389, 299K)

That's because you're trying to replace the Clip with something that has the same MSRP. Problem is, the original Clip was sold way too cheap and it's actual value has just now been realized. You need to spend more than $80 to get something similar to it.

personally im a fan of the slimmer, it's easier to pocket, and i can stow it away in a pack easily if im traveling.i know there's not too much difference, but its my preference. ipod photo has one rockbox theme i want that's never been coverted for video (PodAmp)

Attached: KIMG0024.jpg (1920x2560, 533K)

Nice
I just dug out my old 40gb 4th gen 'pod after getting tired of my phone's bullshit.
I replaced the hard drive with an SD card adapter and it's going to be my new daily driver once again.
I missed this thing a lot, and now that I've taken the PMP pill, I can never go back to using my phone as a media player, it's just not the same.
Also, I like my iPods like how I like my ThinkPads, thick and easy to open.

Attached: iPod.png (540x804, 527K)

Why not port it yourself?

The most ive done for rockbox themes is edit the background files (pic related, its iVideo but edited for dark theme), and make my own very basic text only theme. that was forever ago and i've just not gotten around to porting it.
its on the to-do list though

Attached: KIMG0025[1].jpg (1920x2560, 400K)

web.archive.org/web/20170708033500/http://nullvoid.station.moe/Freedom-Hardware/Video5G-Rockbox/

Reportin.

Attached: a.jpg (3291x2460, 852K)

I had a 2nd gen ipod that used to zap me whenever I touched the metal part of the case

Clip finally died. It looks like Plenue D are going for $99. Just ordered mine. The slow touch screen will bother me but the long battery life is what I really care about.

If those are your only choices, get a classic and do the mods here >Nano, 3rd Gen
I loved the size and shape of that one. With a griffin fm transmitter, it was roughly the size of a cassette. It fit perfectly inside my (non working) tape deck and I'd just stream my music over the radio. Good times.

Attached: 1532872945400.jpg (300x300, 6K)

bump

What are your suggestions? M3 would be good if wouldn't have the UI of the early 2000s chinese MP3 players.
I became aware of Benjie BJ-T6 after I pulled the trigger on FiiO. And, maybe, at one point I'll replace the battery on my Sansa.

Attached: 20170711_211121.jpg (1080x608, 303K)

just ordered a NW-A45, my first dap other than my phone. what am I in for