Jow Forumsentoo install

Alright, I'm finally gonna do it and install gentoo. What can I expect? Is this a meme or actually a good OS? I'm installing it as a qemu guest for VDI for developer shit. I'll report back my progress. I'm building on a 6 core xeon so I'm hoping for a quick process. I've installed arch (shit distro, bloated and broken) and think this shouldn't be too hard. Wish me luck bros

Attached: gentoo.png (666x800, 119K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mirrorselect
bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?component=Profiles&product=Gentoo Linux&resolution=---
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Alright I think this should be enough. I already am running other shit on my server so I can't give it that much

Attached: 2019-07-12-100045_1600x900_scrot.png (1600x900, 212K)

If you use genkernel and are in a vm, Gentoo is easy as fuck if you've done arch.

Troubleshooting new hardware is the part that usually slows me down

it's a good distro especialy if you want to learn something. Granted compiling will get annoying after a while but you have an insane cpu that is more than enough for this job
I couldn't stick with it because i'm a corelet so i went to a source based distro that allows modifications to packages like gentoo but also has but also has binaries, nixos
It's a solid distro though, highly recommend everyone installs it at least once, and if you can run it daily all the better
P.S don't use genkernel, compile your own and study all the different options

Xfce? Or did you actually get windows to look like that?

Shouldn't be too hard in QEMU then. I'm on enterprise supported hardware. No display though. I'm just gonna use VNC

XFCE. Chicago95 Theme. Really easy to set up. Debian is based AF.

Use one of the systemd/gnome profiles and build the kernel with genkernel and it should go smoothly.

Don't fall for the Gentoo is minimal meme and use the other profiles, they turn off too many useflags, your shit won't work properly.

I'm probably gonna go with XFCE. I'm not afraid of breaking shit I'm usually good enough to fix it. here. Been doing UNIX since I was 6.

You don't have to use gnome with the gnome profile, its a bunch of default flags that get set so gnome works properly, chances are whatever other shit you are going to use will need a lot of the same support.

Unless you want to google why certain shit isn't working and then go back and turn on a bunch of useflags one by one and recompile a bunch of shit.

Trust me its a PITA to do it that way, just turn it all on.

>Use one of the systemd/gnome profiles
Dilate.

OP Here. Partitioning the disks and shit now. Easy so far. Thinking about doing btrfs just for the meme. Is ZFS even an option for root, its not on the wiki?

Which font do I need to install on Arch to see your retarded name on Firefox?

You can but its slow and you have to load fuse and zfs in an initramfs before you mount root.

Literally no reason to.

Arial Unicode MS has most of unicode. The old one from Microsoft Office, not the gimped version without extra languages, its like 24MB.

Alright screw it. I'm doing stage 3 hardened gentoo tarball no multilib. I'll just do ext4 for root.

Actually nvm Firefox ignores fontconfig so I have no idea.

Alright, 愛してるさわこ.

Alright. Will XFCE even run without hardware acceleration? I'm running in a VM on an R610 with no video card, just using a VNC display. I'm not a gaymer and don't do graphics stuff at all.

If I get dubs I'll do -ofast

Why should he throw away such a great learning opportunity? Doing it your way he may as well install Ubuntu

Not him, but planning on doing it. How easy is it to fuck up if you’re not doing genkernel? Should a first-timer just do genkernel? Does the stable Gentoo kernel support the latest Ayymd CPUs/GPUs?

Based
Cringe

>Don't fall for the Gentoo is minimal meme
Enjoy your 11 hour compilation.

OP Here. I agree. I'm just doing this for fun not for stability. I don't care if it breaks.

Just a progress update I'm in the chroot environment. No problems so far just setting up portage. This is easy.

Attached: 2019-07-12-111436_1600x900_scrot.png (1600x900, 182K)

Do UEFI

Who the fuck uses bios now except for legacy?

BIOS? You mean MBR?

Yeah.

Alright. Im going for a minimal kernel build because I'm running in a VM (which usually have good hardware support).

Any advice?

If dubs you do -Werror -Wfatal-errors

Attached: 1559878011564.png (750x960, 172K)

Try
make tinyconfig
make -j $(nproc) all modules_install install

just make sure you setup networking right and do all cpu optimisations

make defconfig and then make menuconfig and turn on whatever your network card needs (if not already on by default) and what your gpu needs. And that's it. Rest of the kernel tweaking and enabling missing drivers can be done later.

I use non-multilib + hardened + custom kernel and I can use my box as a regular shitposting machine.

PPL who say it cannot be done are wrong.

Progress Update: Kernel Compiling

I just removed the intel / amd / nvidia graphics stuff and some virtualization features I didn't need. I'm building a 4.19 kernel. (just wanted a stable kernel)

Attached: 2019-07-12-121629_1600x900_scrot.png (1600x900, 121K)

this is gonna be the last long wait, unless you plan to compile a browser then i pray for you user

Done already. I have a powerful machine and disabled a bunch of features I don't need.

I'm probably gonna use dillo or midori or something, so it shouldn't take long. This is a development environment, not a daily driver.

From all the browsers I tested netsurf is the only one you can post on Jow Forums with. I even made it work from the framebuffer and post on Jow Forums, true story not lying here.

>netsurf
How? It doesn’t have JS

It has but basic, the Jow Forums catalog doesnt work but captcha works although is not pretty. The only difficulty was getting the GPM to work and setting netsurf to the tty resolution.

I have come to really appreciate your horrible posts now that I realize it is on purpose.

OP Here. Why are the gentoo mirrors so slow?

I'm not a masochist

use flags are the best and worst thing about gentoo in my opinion.

First obstacle. I accidentally formatted /boot as ext4 when it needs to be fat32.

Easy fix. This is supposed to be hard?

use mirrorselect to find the fastest mirrors
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mirrorselect
this will find 10 fastest mirrors and add them to your make.conf
mirrorselect -s10 -b10 -D

Alright Jow Forumsentoomen.

About to reboot into machine. Wish me luck

Shit i forgot to do this before chroot. Now I have to compile python3

Stop spoonfeeding him. The instructions are all in the handbook.

I did it!

That was pretty easy. I ran into some trouble when I found out my VM didn't support UEFI. Other than that it was easy. . . .

Whoops mispelled hostname

Attached: 2019-07-12-143243_1600x900_scrot.png (1600x900, 61K)

Mandatory screenfetch

Attached: 2019-07-12-143638_1600x900_scrot.png (1600x900, 228K)

OP Here. Holy shit this is a light OS!

37 MB idle! I didn't even change the defaults that much!

you are also not doing anything

>i d l e

Terrible advice.

OP Here.

This process was easy. I don't really know what the meme is about. I didn't have much trouble, and any non-brainlet shouldn't either.

Just read the docs and it works.

Start posting on the desktop thread

If you really get into configuration in Gentoo, you'll easily lose a lot of time. I spent about three solid days setting things up just how I want them to be.

what exactly were you setting up?

install LFS

Regular software for browsing the internet, image/text editing, X server, video/music playback, sound server, etc. Built many kernels, which I configured for minimalism and security. Lost a lot of time to rebuilding the entire tree twice, because of timestamp issues [probably due to mount options].

Always backup the kernel config and treasure it like gold.

I was always wondering why there are no tools to preselect a minimal set of drivers you would need for your hardware based on lspci (and others) output. That should be simple, or not?

genkernel

RTFM

Is it portable for usage on Void? Can I edit the x86.config afterwards?

t. never compiled a kernel

t. never used a search engine

Ok so if I already compiled the kernel can I chroot in and recompile it with genkernel? I tried recompiling with different menuconfig and it didn't seem to change much.

read the kernel documentation

Dude, not him but please, point me to the documentation for kernel flags, PLEASE!

Yes

It's better if you gays do the needful and learn how to research.

You are the cancer of the community

Fuck your Linux community.

Attached: linus.png (595x335, 99K)

>b4/ret4rded
kill yourself retard, openrc works fine
good thing is easy to filter you, you're fucking stupid
use the gnome profile, with openrc, works smoothly

namefag tripfags proving once again why everyone should hate them

portage and use flags are sweet but I couldn't be fucked with compiling anymore so I switched back to Arch

Waste of time. Just install Clear Linux!

anyone moved to 17.1 profile yet? the devs claim stable but bug tracker thinks otherwise

I haven’t moved yet, but what bug list are you talking about? I guess I’m looking in the wrong place
bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?component=Profiles&product=Gentoo Linux&resolution=---

Note that Midori has webkit-gtk as a dependency, which is a pretty hefty package to compile.