Going to college to study computer science

Going to college to study computer science.
What laptop should I get?
Also what distro would Jow Forums approve of on it?

Attached: fuck.jpg (3024x4032, 868K)

get Thinkpad that suits you the most, install gentoo

Don't get a thinkpad, and install ubuntu

Get a Microsoft ™ Surface Laptop 2 and Microsoft ™ pen

Lenovo has like 300 dollar computers.
They are cheap

mac you can run any distro as vm have native bash environment and ms office

Just get a used thinkpad for cheap, and then DON'T BRING IT TO THE CLASS UNLESS YOU ACTUALLY NEED TO.

Does the pen even work on laptop series

Why not a desktop? I recently built an 2200G A300 desk mini ultra small form factor pc and vesa mounted it on the back of a 24 inch monitor I had like in pic related.

Only gripe is thermals (CPU locked at 3.4GHz and GPU to 1,200 MHz). Haven't tried undervolting yet though, both at 1.3V rn.

Attached: TB1HdJsSVXXXXcGXFXXXXXXXXXX_!!2-item_pic (1).png (203x189, 68K)

Dell Inspiron with quad core cpu

XPS 15
install gentoo or change majors

Attached: 1547688342452.png (289x289, 42K)

distro doesn't matter, boils down to preference and politics. get a thinkpad though for sure. I bought an acer way back and regret it now as i keep running into hardware issues using linux

Dorm is a broom closet shared with two other guys.

fuck off we're full

You don't get a desk at all? If so that really blows but I would still try to avoid getting a laptop. You'll spend 4-8X more money for the same performance a desktop will give you and at best you'll maybe be able to upgrade the RAM and HDD. Not to mention one little spill will kill the entire damned thing.

I do believe that there is a desk in the room but it gonna be a matter of if my roommates mind. Im gonna see if i can work something out with them to use my current desktop.

You don't need to have a mega giga laptop for this
Something around the 300-400 bucks mark is fine
Don't install a distro before actually starting your studies, because the one that's in your classroom may be completely different than the one you installed in your laptop

Unironically you don't even need one, so just pick according to your other needs.
t. got MSc in CS half a year ago

a laptop is better because you should be able to study in the library. we've had dorm outages once or twice in my 2 years at uni, and it hasn't been considered a huge issue because they expect you to go to the library if you actually have shit to do
get a nice wifi card and ethernet NIC for either option, one or the other may have better or worse QoS than the other and security setup
additionally with our policy key setup you don't have to have it if you run linux or BSD, but you do if you run mac or winblows so it's worth learning linux if you're paranoid

Only two other guys? Look at Mr. Richie Rich here. ;)

Helios 500 and swap out the CPU for a 3950X for better compiling.

Good screen + SSD is all you need
Don’t fall for the memepads

I would probably get a Dell or HP if I were to buy a laptop right now, not the completely low-end ones and not the tacky gamer shit. Thinkpads are great too, but I can’t stand their touchpads and I never got used to the trackpoint. Good screen, good keyboard/touchpad and battery life are the most important factors imo. I also recommend getting atleast 14” or even 15”, it’s not that much difference carrying it around and the comfort when actually using it is worth it.

My school: "Get a good "gaming" laptop around €1000". Studying software engineering

Honestly I would buy the new 2019 Macbook Pro with 256gb SSD.
>able to develop to apple products
>dont have to install linux in virtualbox just to have terminal
>decent retina screen
>aluminium body

this OP
I'm trying to graduate this year. I did ok with a netbook that worked for first 2 years. 3rd I had a project that had some 3d rendering and the machine couldn't handle it. got a used thinkpad after that. its worked ok. now on senior project and projectors are wireless miracast thats not supported by my thinkpad so maybe something a little newer but not low end could get you all the way thru

Buy an i pad and install clear linux best repo everrrrrrr

Back in 2008, Dell used to sell a little 9-inch beauty called the Dell Mini 9, aka the Inspiron 910. They're out of production but there are still a few corners of the web where you can pick them up from third-party sellers.

It's extremely low-spec, mine shipped with Windows XP and could barely even run it, replaced it with Linux immediately. It's perfect for studying computer science at college because it's cheap, the hardware isn't really good enough to do anything on it but program, so no distractions, and it's just about as portable as you could possibly make a computer without compromising typing comfort. Also the mobo has an internal speaker, so you can impress people by making it beep.

I installed Gentoo on mine. It was sheer agony. Would not recommend. This thing is practically a thin client, it's absolutely not equipped to comfortably build an OS from source. Debian worked okay on it, but I had to install the proprietary firmware version to get Internet. It does have an ethernet port, though, so you can use the vanilla image if you're able to wire right into your router.

Forgot pic

Attached: dm9.png (404x277, 95K)

>>dont have to install linux in virtualbox just to have terminal
Why would you install linux in virtualbox instead of on bare metal

god I wish they would make this with an update spec

>Something around the 300-400 bucks mark is fine
I'm not sure I agree. I have a Inspiron that I cost me $550 and I hate the screen on this thing.
I got it in 2015 though, most of the problems I have with my laptop don't seem to be as common in cheep laptops now.
Although I still think about geting a new one now and then.

eBay Dell Latitude, Fedora, not your tech support board, etc.

used thinkpad from craigslist
t430 or x230 for $100-150

Thinkpad/Latitude (pick and choose); Ubuntu/Fedora, but it depends on what the classes require. Use Windows in a VM/seperate partition if necessary

i would get a mac pro or
get a thinkpad and put debian or ubuntu on it! (-:

Attached: alt-right_computers.png (1007x830, 632K)

Based and thinkpilled.

Attached: mcqensie.gif (355x225, 1.5M)

pleb: idk something with 16gb RAM and a new-ish processor, you can code on a potato

chad: 8core 15inch mbp. maxed out if you're ballin