Windows is getting a new terminal

youtube.com/watch?v=8gw0rXPMMPE

How excited are we Winbros?

Attached: 585285262.png (1280x720, 433K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/yuk7/ArchWSL#archwsl
gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLInProprietarySystem
gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#IfLibraryIsGPL
github.com/microsoft/terminal
gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#GPLStaticVsDynamic
theregister.co.uk/2017/05/13/gnu_gpl_enforceable_contract/
resources.whitesourcesoftware.com/blog-whitesource/the-100-million-case-for-open-source-license-compliance
web.archive.org/web/20141007073104/http://gpl-violations.org/news/20060922-dlink-judgement_frankfurt.html
techdirt.com/articles/20170515/06040337368/us-court-upholds-enforceability-gnu-gpl-as-both-license-contract.shtml
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMware#Litigation
ipkitten.blogspot.com/2019/01/vmware-gpl-case-is-back-in-courtwill-we.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

who is their demographic for this "feature".
surely 99% of their user base isn't even aware of what the fuck a terminal is.

Nice.

more developers use windows than any other OS. cope harder unix faggot.

you are literally the ultimate cuck. i really hope you die sad and alone.

this

dilate a bit more fag, my dicks a lil bit too big to fit in your ass

yikes

Whoever thought that music was a good choice needs to be fired

more developers are indian than any other race too. Poo in loo pajeet

It's not coming to LTSC so I don't give a fuck

will there be a way to install it on ltsc?

>ur a cuck
>no argument
th... that's cringe user... and bluepilled... damn

will this destroy cygwin's ass? i almost feel sorry for it

>WSL is now just a VM

They managed to trick people into thinking that this was an 'advancement'.

I don't get why they have distro options instead of terminal emulators? That sounds weird honestly especially since the distros they presented are debian based. Maybe I am stupid but I don't get it.

Windows has this new Linux subsystem feature.
Lets you have a fully functional linux install in Windows.

Yes, install non-LTSC windows
There is a reason I personally stopped using LTSC
The build updates are kinda of a double edged sword, on one hand you are on a somewhat fast ring and not everything is perfectly stable, on the other you can receive somewhat useful feature updates like the Ryzen patch that you would miss out on LTSC

Okay so this is a replacement for VMs then? What even is the difference? And why are they forcing debian-based distros down your throat anyway? And why does it matter what distro you choose if you only get access to a terminal anyway?

I'm just stupid maybe but this seems just weird, but I'm a linuxfag so yeah.

>cope harder
What are you? 12?

Emojis on my new terminal !

NOICE.

>yikes
Only fags say this

I'd like to point out you're both correct. A lot of devs do their shit on their personal computers using Windows and programs like Gitbash.

However, no one uses Windows servers, the project is usually put on and maintained on a Linux server.

>Emojis
Infantile, not NOICE

dilate

Windows 10 has WSL, which did some tricky syscall magic so that you could run Linux applications and bash on Windows.

That approach, while very performant, was complicated and difficult keep improving, so they've thrown in the towel and switched to just bundling a VM with various distros that use a Microsoft-branded kernel.

I have it installed and it's kind of garbage rn. I'd rather use conemu or mintty.

Attached: wtfisthis.png (861x517, 8K)

>more developers use windows than any other OS.

You mean for Desktops, right? Because Linux absolutely dominates every other market share. Servers, phones, supercomputers, you name it.

it was originally built to provide android capability on win10 mobile

Microsoft came out with WSL 1 which was a re-implementation of the Linux kernel that translated Linux syscalls to NT (think wine but in reverse) and so you basically had a bash shell you could call at any point and do basically anything you would do with Linux on a CLI
WSL 2 which is coming soon uses Hyper-V to host the full GPLed Linux kernel as performance sucked with WSL 1
WSL 2 should be better performing and have better file system integration

You can make any distro work
github.com/yuk7/ArchWSL#archwsl

>WSL 2 which is coming soon uses Hyper-V to host the full GPLed Linux kernel as performance sucked with WSL 1

Since Linux is GPL'd that means that M$ is going to have to open source their entire OS under the GPL, right? The FSF has a pretty damning case. It's about time they release the source so that WINE can finally run games.

GPL doesn't work that way
Just because you bundle an open-source piece of software with a proprietary one doesn't mean you now have to release the source of your proprietary code, you only have to release the source of the bundled GPL software and any changes you make to any GPL code

You think this could be a good learning tool in the future? I teach students how to use Linux machines and the CLI but some just fail the class because they have to set up Linux and they get depressed. Is it the answer to my problem?

>Just because you bundle an open-source piece of software with a proprietary one doesn't mean you now have to release the source of your proprietary code

Yes you do. You're thinking LGPL. For the GPL, you absolutely must release the combined work as GPL.
gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLInProprietarySystem
gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#IfLibraryIsGPL

>Linking [name of your program] statically or dynamically with other modules is making a combined work based on [name of your program]. Thus, the terms and conditions of the GNU General Public License cover the whole combination.

The license of the GPL explicitly says you must release the source code under a GPL-compatible license if you use it. If you don't release your source under the terms of the GPL, you do not have permission to use it, thus, copyright infringement. Either you must remove the GPL'd code (because you don't have permission to use it) or GPL your project. Big corps hate it for a reason, it's a "viral" license.

Based
Cringe

Since I've been doing more and more with Linux at work, I finally gave up on this half baked WSL and Windows Terminal/Cmdr shit and started using Fedora. It's not 100% as smooth as Windows from a graphics standpoint, but what it lacks in that it makes up for by being actual Linux. It's so nice not having to fuck around with the weird quirks of WSL anymore.

Microsoft isn't integrating Linux in such a way where they are both a single program
Linux is only running alongside Windows, MS isn't making Linux a actual part of the OS
>However, in many cases you can distribute the GPL-covered software alongside your proprietary system. To do this validly, you must make sure that the free and nonfree programs communicate at arms length, that they are not combined in a way that would make them effectively a single program.

If it's not POSIX compliant it's literally useless

>and started using Fedora

What's wrong with Devuan? Mint? CentOS?

so much shilling and spam lately

can't wait

Attached: 😂👌.png (684x530, 287K)

This. I can't wait until point-and-click Windows "sysadmins" are extinct.

>WSL 2 should be better performing and have better file system integration

The line is blurring. FSF has a good case here.
Remember that the whole schtick with the FSF and GPL, the whole point of the license is "you cannot use it in proprietary code. You only have permission to use this if your shit is free too."
M$ is walking on very thin ice here.

Holy shit this. The terminal is a godsend.
This is coming from a former windows junkie. Linux felt clunkyat first, but it really is far more flexible to use than anything a GUI can provide. I only ever have a small partition for Windows for gaming, I do all my other shit on linux.

>partition
just buy another ssd lol

making drivers so Linux can communicate better with It's host Windows' file systems I fail to see as blurring a line

>tfw have the choice of literally thousands of different terminal emulators + shells
It's pretty hilarious how MS are desperately trying to be Linux.

>Windows is getting a new terminal
Yeah, just like how it got an "open source package manager" some years ago. Remember that marketing stunt?

I tried Fedora and I liked it.
>Devuan
not a tinfoiler about systemd
>Mint
fuck Debian and all of its forks
>CentOS
I use CentOS on servers. I want newer packages on a desktop.

What for? It's only like 20GB of space. I don't need to buy an entire SSD for Windows like a n00b. I just dual boot. No need to waste money on M$ shit, they track me already, so it's not worth paying for.

Listen, no matter whatever terminal "app" they come with it will always be shit no matter what. The powershell is slow and so is command prompt when running third party commands for example npm. Just because you can add emoji or make background blur doesn't change the fact that it is shit and windows should be used for gaming only like its intended to be and leave the programming stuff to unix system (a mac is better choice for programming than windows).

Also, only people who use Windows for programming are poo in the loo.

Oh fuck I totally forgot about that... and people are still using Chocolatey to install malware

github.com/microsoft/terminal
retards

They're using Linux as a library to interact and link to the filesystem, make windows syscalls, etc.

The closer they integrate linux into their OS, the more damning the case the FSF has. Well, in this case, specifically Linus, but the FSF folks own all of the GNU coreutils. The only reason I see why they don't go for the head right now is because it's a good opportunity to expose more people to Free Software. They'll probably wait until they have a bigger base before they go for the kill.

I tried it too. It sucks. I guess I'm stuck with Cmdr for awhile longer.

>not a tinfoiler about systemd

Hey man don't peg me down, I got legit concerns.

Attached: 1523833811414.png (1280x2084, 619K)

>They're using Linux as a library
Exactly why it's damning. gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#IfLibraryIsGPL

>interact and link
gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#GPLStaticVsDynamic

Again, if it were the LGPL they could get away with it, since if it were covered by the LGPL they only would have to redistribute the LGPL'd code. But if they use the GPL, the full terms of the GPL apply, and they must release their entire source code. They must, or they don't have permission to use it, as per the GPL.

ok good luck suing microsoft with your shitty gpl lawyers idiot,

theregister.co.uk/2017/05/13/gnu_gpl_enforceable_contract/

resources.whitesourcesoftware.com/blog-whitesource/the-100-million-case-for-open-source-license-compliance

web.archive.org/web/20141007073104/http://gpl-violations.org/news/20060922-dlink-judgement_frankfurt.html

techdirt.com/articles/20170515/06040337368/us-court-upholds-enforceability-gnu-gpl-as-both-license-contract.shtml

Facts > feelings. M$ is not above the law. Using the GPL under the terms they're about to use is copyright infringement.

Facts > feelings

90% of people don't use the event viewer either.

lol

Are they giving it a package manager?

Attached: Screenshot_20190712-223332_YouTube.png (2560x1440, 1.05M)

see

have fun spending years in court against a multi billion dollar corporation with an army of lawyers and getting all your funds dried up and then reaching to a settlement which is like 0.1% of microsofts yearly revenue

For me, it’s the McChicken.

>McCancer
make your own tendies instead

Whats wrong with chocolatey?

The terms of the GPL are pretty clear. It's a license. If you use *any* GPL'd code into your code, if you link to it statically or dynamically, then you have permission to use it only under the terms that your software is distributed under the terms of the GPL.

The fork() and exec is about the only wiggle room M$ has here. No syscalls, no linking, nothing. Everything else is a pretty clear and damning violation. And any court fees will have to be paid for by M$ anyway. Why are you even defending M$ anyway? Do you hate free software?

>Ooga Booga music

FUCK THAT SHIT

Attached: raeg.jpg (254x199, 14K)

>says someone who uses an OS that imports tranny kernel
like pottery

>No syscalls
then how do u explain steam or leenux

it's vs code applied to command line

who cares?

So they’re going to catch up where MacOS was 15 years ago and where *nix was 30 years ago?

Seriously this. Why the fuck do they put out that really flashy video and the real thing looks like stock ugly-as-shit powershell? Customization looks like a real mess too.

no,
Microsoft has had powershell for years,
they own Github,
they own VS Code,

this is just a dumbass marketing plow, for retards that don't know this

>Leenux
...is free software, distributed under GPLv2.

>Steam
is fork()'ed. It doesn't make any syscalls or link to the kernel at all.

and nobody uses powershell

for*

I really think you are giving MS too much credit here
All they are doing is hosting a distro in Hyper-V and giving it fancy guest addons
Making MS give up all of there code would be like trying to make VMware do the same because they made some tools for Linux guests

Kys gayboi

>All they are doing is hosting a distro in Hyper-V

This is even worse, because GPLv3 actually includes clauses about running GPL'd software on hardware as well. GPLv3 tried to make up for GPLv2's tivoization loophole. Personally, I think that the GPLv3 is retarded, though, as tivoization has real practical uses for security. Namely for hospital equipment and stuff... hardware-level checks to ensure that only signed/approved software running on military/medical equipment and whatnot (and as an anti-hack measurement). But I'm not the FSF, so...

>Making MS give up all of there code would be like trying to make VMware do the same because they made some tools for Linux guests

VMWare did break the terms of the GPL. In fact, they went to court for it. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMware#Litigation
The only reason he won is because the case was held in Germany. But don't worry, that's about to change.

ipkitten.blogspot.com/2019/01/vmware-gpl-case-is-back-in-courtwill-we.html

Not really.
Windows has had a working GUI for nearly 30 years.
Terminals are for 20th century devices and OSs.

So yet another reason to avoid GPL like plague if your software is good enough to sell?
Sounds good to me.

Did it really take them this long to realize they didn't need to reinvent the wheel? Only for them to market a unix terminal with a hip song?

wtf is that music

>muh gpl religion
Go back to .

how does gpl have anything to do with /fa/

>So yet another reason to avoid GPL like plague if your software is good enough to sell?

You can sell GPL'd software. There's nothing preventing you from doing that at all. In fact, I develop GPL'd software for a living for the government. It gives me employment. I bought a nice mustang with the money.

Believe it or not, you *can* be a capitalist and for free software. The GPL is a godsend for developers, too, you know. It prevents both users *and* developers from being exploited.

>quote COMINTERN propaganda verbatim from the 50s
>just change the word "communism" to "gpl"

Attached: 1540628674924.png (800x1100, 528K)

>freedom is communism
>hate money

Nothing about GPL is communist. Full stop.

It's where delusional faggots hang out.
Duh.

the terminal theme song that will play whenever you open the new windows terminal

cannot be disabled, will force the computer out of mute mode, and will find and play itself over network-connected multimedia devices if speakers are unplugged

they are trying to get developers back since every dev who's not using linux has either msys2 or cygwin installed

>hate freedom
>hate money
>hate whatever shit you made up this minute
Do you really have no conception of how stupid you look whenever you make this statement?
Normal people don't hate any of those things. Normal people just hate you.
Ahh, I just answered my own question: it's a defence tactic.

This post just drips of permaneet.

>since every dev who's not using linux has either msys2 or cygwin installed

Man, that's pretty sad...

>shitty rap/pop music
>emojis
>The new terminal is actually worse then the video suggest

Unironically, osx is somehow looking better by the day

Attached: shit.png (1652x763, 542K)

It runs all its scripts with admin rights. The only thing between you and malware is the repo maintainers if you use the community repos.
Scoop is an alternative that (mostly) doesn't need admin rights.