/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

vintage smol edition

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: X31.jpg (3024x4032, 2.24M)

Other urls found in this thread:

notebookcheck.net/Review-Lenovo-Thinkpad-T420-Notebook.51230.0.html
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T440P-14-Core-i5-4200-8GB-120GB-SSD-Windows-10-TESTED/323826569754?_trkparms=aid=555017&algo=PL.CASSINI&ao=1&asc=20180914113649&meid=0067dd9e7ea544a091f5645c1e4c97d2&pid=101007&rk=1&rkt=1&&itm=323826569754&pg=2047936&_trksid=p2047936.c101007.m3226
lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/thinkpad/edge-series/E495/p/22TP2TEE495
lenovo.com/ca/en/deals/thinkpad-laptops?IPromoID=LEN234110
youtube.com/watch?v=VsNwDbYnGu0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Is a T450s with 1080p touchscreen, 12GB RAM, 512GB SSD and i5-5300U worth 320€?

how easy is it to buy and self install a wwan card on a new x1c if you don't select it at customization

Unscrew the bottom and put it in the free slot. The antennae should already be there.

x201 cutest cutepad

Attached: 154946707295289.jpg (1727x2051, 652K)

What does /tpg think about the new thinkbook line of laptops from lenovo? Are they shit? I'm looking to purchase one since I am the president of a successful crypto asset-management startup and need a (relatively) powerful laptop with a high degree of mobility but don't want to spend outrageous amounts of money, because it's better to invest in more link.

Attached: 1557621537_20190424_153134.jpg (4032x2272, 1.31M)

shit

Gonna buy my first ThinkPad this weekend
Using it for learning linux and preparing for the OSCP - any recommendations from anons in here? There's a cheap X200 in my area on craigslist.

>Jow Forums is NOT your personal tech support team or personal consumer review site.

Maybe this person just wanted Jow Forums's view on it.

What price is it?

For 300 yes.

Why don't people on /tpg/ actually talk about the vintage IBM-produced units, instead of sperging on the Lenovo shit made since 2013? Even in a "vintage edition" thread.

I agree. IBM era, best era.

I still have 2 working IBM T42 machines, 1 working T30 and a working R51. They still run Windows XP and they still run them fast enough to still use Firefox 2 to access the internet, though I'm looking into a better browser that's actually maintained.

Just replaced the fan on my X230T. Second X230 I do actually, and I can confirm what is spread around online, AVC fans (P/N 04W6923) are by far the best ones to use, the tone is so much smoother than the other manufacturers. This one laptop had a Toshiba, previous one a Delta, the AVC's outperformed them on both occasions.

Attached: Lenovo-ThinkPad-X220-X230-04W6923-chladic-AVC-BATA0507R5U-1.jpg (1024x576, 234K)

Why would anyone want a ThinkPad when there are better performing laptops out there?

That's pretty good, user. I have a T42 myself. If you want up to date browsers, maybe you can install a maintained 32 bit GNU/Linux distribution. That'll definitely have up to date browsers.

What currency? 150 in most currencies, seems a lot for an X200.

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

USD
It seems like it doesn't have specs needed for multiple VMs anyways....

In general, ThinkPads aren't for people who want performance. There are a lot of other reasons than performance. Read too.

There's no point in updating the OS if a more modern OS will slow down on older hardware, even if it's maintained for 32-bit machines. You're better off using a period OS on period-specific hardware, frankly. But there is a browser maintained for XP that brings support for HTML5 and other modern things.

You are correct. That Core 2 Duo is going to have a hard time doing that. Try getting an xx20 or higher. Still wouldn't be optimal, but it would be a lot better. You can get them for under 150 USD if you look good enough.

You are correct. Though, if you use a lightweight DE, it can be pretty snappy, even on a Pentium M.

Well shit I expected a "LMAO NEWFAG" but I left with answers. Cheers, cunts.

Right, except the kernel and binary blobs for driver support also play a big factor in the speed of the OS. Why reinvent the wheel?

This user is right, go for Sandy Bridge or higher. I have a T420 running EXSi for practicing, upgraded the ram to 16Gb not long ago, I run out of ram and datastore space WELL before cpu.

which thinkpad has strong CPU and lowest price right now? I am looking for something with DDR3 with at least two slots for small virtualization server for my basement. I want to save money on electricity and don't expect more than 35% cpu usage

Attached: 1561543964421.jpg (932x747, 178K)

Just said it above you, but also see if you can find one with an Intel NIC. Most hypervisors are very finnicky with NIC's that aren't Intel or Broadcom.

did you measure your power draw with esxi

good luck lol

No, but these guys measure power draw when reviewing, near the end.

notebookcheck.net/Review-Lenovo-Thinkpad-T420-Notebook.51230.0.html

7-11w idling and 30w on load is pretty good for a laptop of this era. 30w is where a desktop running an integrated gpu usually idles.

Good point, I just told what was the best for me.

newfag here
i keep seeing this outdated platform shilled left and right
what are the benefits of a thiccpad and for what types of uses

Attached: 1562627685424.jpg (355x495, 106K)

I need mobile-pata to sdcard adapter, can anyone help me with aliexpress link?

t480 or t580?

Check and/or the OP.

it's very high quality hardware for a really cheap price. and it works out of the box on every Linux distro. and the new ThinkPads aren't "outdated" at all, they're top class machines aimed at businessmen.

so basically best value non gayming non workstation computer
is it worth the investment if i already have a functioning laptop?

get a cheap, small one like an x200/x220/x230. they're ultra portable and don't cost a lot of money. I can almost guarantee you will use it more than whatever you have now.

from what i see, there's plenty 2nd hand options
is it worth the buy considering the wear or should i go new

I second this, it depends though, if you already have a business grade laptop from HP/Dell, your results may vary. Still I'd much rather use my ThinkPad, but it could be different with other people.

I would say it is the best value for non gaming non workstation, indeed. Also, it does depend, as I have mentioned above.

just get a refurb one, these things are pretty durable so they usually aren't too fucked up. you probably wont find a new one, anyway.

Because this thread is literally managed by a paid shill who pays Jow Forums. I spent a week hijacking these threads a few years ago (I baked the new bread before the shill could and linked it) and put in some pro-IBM era info and got banned for a month.

Jow Forums is a psyop.

Install OpenBSD and use Seamonkey. I have an X23 with OpenBSD and Seamonkey and I can shitpost pretty good with it.

Wrong, a new OS can run great on older hardware.

aight
i'll consider it

>business grade laptop from HP/Dell
Utter trash, get the fuck out of here with that shit, pleb.

Should I get an official x220 battery or chinkshit?
any advice on which chink store?

Chinese ones work fine, look for a seller with a good rating and Sanyo or Panasonic cells.

Hey, I don't like those, I of course prefer ThinkPads above all, why the hate?

I just said what others experienced. Not me.

I’m about to buy this. What do you think, anyone bought from this vendor before?

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T440P-14-Core-i5-4200-8GB-120GB-SSD-Windows-10-TESTED/323826569754?_trkparms=aid=555017&algo=PL.CASSINI&ao=1&asc=20180914113649&meid=0067dd9e7ea544a091f5645c1e4c97d2&pid=101007&rk=1&rkt=1&&itm=323826569754&pg=2047936&_trksid=p2047936.c101007.m3226

Work want to get me a laptop -- there's an £800 budget so I was looking at a ThinkPad E495 here lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/thinkpad/edge-series/E495/p/22TP2TEE495 upgrade to ryzen 7, 16gb ram, 512gb ssb comes in at £807. Any thoughts on that? Trying to get a solid laptop with good specs for programming, mostly webdev (need to run VMs) but the budget is a bit low for the best stuff..

Can someone recommend me some models? Here are some requirements:

* Tough enough to mount in an offroad vehicle
* Bright screen to view in direct sunlight
* Large enough capacity to store lots of map tiles (at least 500G)
* Lots of USB ports for peripherals (GPS, SDR antenna, phone, etc)
* Enough memory to run a few programs without annoying slowdowns (Viking, SDR applications, browser, music, etc)
* Decent battery capacity--need to be able to run the above programs for up to 6 hours without charging
* As cheap as possible (used)--I don't expect it to have a long life so I don't want to buy new or a very recent model.

The models I see on Craigslist in my area are the T440s for $170 asking price and a T520 for $170 asking price. Good pricing? I can probably haggle it down.

offlease toughbook might be a better option if you can find one cheap

I was looking at toughbooks briefly. My problem was I didn't think the "toughness" justified the price increase and performance sacrifice.

I'm not taking it outside in the tundra--just mounting it in a (mostly always) enclosed Jeep.

whats the best deal here?
lenovo.com/ca/en/deals/thinkpad-laptops?IPromoID=LEN234110
not sure the differences on most of the T models. didnt even know there was an L series

>problem was I didn't think the "toughness" justified the price increase and performance sacrifice
yeah, they're expensive, if you're lucky you can get one cheap but they're less performance oriented than Thinkpads since I suppose majority usecase is connectivity and terminal into something else. The screens on them are excellent for outdoor use though. With Thinkpads, you have to be careful with what screen you are getting, otherwise you might be stuck with a trash screen that is painful for outdoor use

Guessing IPS is a must, then? I'm not too familiar with ThinkPads; do all models in a generation generally have the same screens or did they make any models with super bright screens? If it comes down to it, I'll just tape some cardboard to the sides and top for a shade.

please help

>do all models in a generation generally have the same screens or did they make any models with super bright screens?
there have historically been different screen configs, with majority being TN. IPS has become more of a standard lately.

I've had generations of Thinkpads with shit TN displays that were close to unusable outside. Imo, even my newest Thinkpad (T580 IPS) doesn't compare to the high nits IPS on an older CF-31 I once used.
The Toughpad is really made for outdoor applications. The Thinkpad is made to be shoveled around office settings, especially with Lenovo generation of build quality.

is it a good idea to go from a T410 to a T440? The price is not a problem, but my I5 560m is catching with solidworks.

if it was a bad idea...

Some model that recommend and is easy to get by eBay?

Attached: 156243314582.png (339x379, 41K)

Nothing there looks interesting or worth it, for a reason they are on sale.

orly?
>look at them slim bezels

Attached: IMG_20190711_021717933.jpg (4096x3072, 2.08M)

anyone? I've never had a thinkpad so not sure on the models.

not even the t570/580?

No because they are using Skylake and Kaby lake CPUs.

i cant imagine that hurting that much, if im mostly doing basic stuff like word processing

Just bought one for 45 bucks, no hdd. How did i do?

Then why not just buy a used one for cheaper?

previous thread got archived so gonna ask here again.

i bought a screen advertised as a lg 00HM745 ips screen for the x250 from aliexpress. i checked the back sticker of the screen and the model number and fru matches what was advertised, but when i check the display information through the bios, it says the manufacturer is boe and it has an unknown model name. is this normal? i do have an ips screen though..

thoughts?

very nice desu :3
thats super cheap mine cost 110 gbp, good buy
thinkpads are great almost all of the ones to come out in the last decade have gigabit eth, most consumer laptops still dont
theyre good for ricing, looking at lolis, shitposting and watching anime
>Because this thread is literally managed by a paid shill who pays Jow Forums
you should takes your meds desu
youll really miss the 16:10 ratio

Attached: __original_drawn_by_henreader__fe87fa68a889a10644d40edee5359bd1.jpg (687x781, 47K)

how would i tell if a battery's got sanyo or panasonic cells in it?

Wanting to get one of the touchscreen thinkpads for drawing, and I had a few questions:
>Between an X220t and X230t, what would be the better choice? My only real desire with them is to use them as display drawing tablets. I already have a W520 project I'm working on for the rest.
>on the topic of drawing, how well does the screen hold up? I know Wacom had their hands on it.
>when looking for either on ebay, should I pay attention to any real details concerning drawing?

>very nice desu :3
thank you. figured I take a photo that's not 100% shit

Attached: R00002280.jpg (3264x3264, 2.1M)

>tfw just dusted off my t61p, installed noobuntu and am typing on it as we speak
Still runs like a champ, forgot how much I love this thing

INSTALL ARCH
N
S
T
A
L
L

A
R
C
H

youtube.com/watch?v=VsNwDbYnGu0

thats why you dont buy nupads user

Might just do that user, I only happened to have a Ubuntu disc laying around

What's the cut off?
t. W541

Attached: 20190713_193343.jpg (3095x1960, 3.24M)

honestly xx40 series is the absolute cut off. Everything newer is just an ideapad with a trackpoint and magnesium chassis. Unless you want an A series for the ryzen cpu, I would just avoid nupads at this point.

Hey lads. I keep a Lenovo ideapad 100s around for when I need to take something lightweight with me as opposed to my T420.
It's obviously pretty low spec. Until now I had been running Ubuntu and using i3 and things have been smooth. Thing is, I just turned it back on for the first time in almost a year and in typical ubuntu fashion I am unable to update the system properly, so I'm going to have to do a clean install of a new distro.
Do any of you guys have a similar device? What do you run on it?

Well 41 is just a 40 w a proper mousepad

Just got a T450s with 1080, i7, 180gb ssd, 6gb RAM for $180. Did I do good??

is it possible to turn off the mute button led in a t440? I still want the key to work but the orange led is annoying

My ThinkPad 755CSE (1994-95) Recently, as in yesterday when I went to turn it on, started having boot loop issues. It does the memory check then usually turns off and does it again. Furthest it's got is to the Windows 95 load screen. Never had this problem before. When the laptop is plugged into power, the battery LED indicator glows orange. Does anyone familiar with older ThinkPads have a clue as to what this means?

Pic of my machine for reference. The screen is broken but that's not the issue.

Attached: 755CSE.jpg (1519x1666, 409K)

Can I switch off the display light on my T530?

I threw it away but dug it out of the garbage just now due to this extraordinarily interesting thread.

I want to basically turn everything off and then brag about how it gets like 4 hours of battery life with the screen off so I can trick someone into buying it on ebay.

oh nice its looks way thinner than it seemed in the first pic

Would it be possible to take the 400nit IPS panel from X200 Tablet and put it into my X200?

>Upgraded models:
Explain.

Sure, it's real easy.
First, mix some ammonia and bleach and then pour it on the screen.
This way only the display light will be damaged and (permanently) turned off but rest of the screen will be fine.

modern components, ddr4 better cpu/screen, usb3

Attached: green.jpg (380x599, 66K)

How??? Is it possible to replace the motherboard?
Will it be possible to do that with "modern" thinkpads like the x220 and x230?

Attached: 1549731260430.jpg (400x224, 17K)

There's a chink company called 51nb that makes those motherboards and there's a chink guy called LCDFans that assembles Thinkpads with those parts.
facebook com lcdfans - you know what to do with this.

The current best option is X210 which is a motherboard with either i5-8250U or i7-8550U in refurbed/pirated X201 chasis, with 8gb of RAM, a SSD and a 2880x1920 IPS screen.

Thanks for the info.

Attached: 1511300913908.jpg (690x462, 73K)