Why is Jow Forums so scared of a low rpm mini-fan?

one whose acoustics are more shielded by their case than their psu's fan?

Attached: main-hero-diy.jpg (1920x1280, 422K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1p0X2EJv9t9TWYiTBoSoGGpwjtgbyCxZIyPGuu7Z7mW8/edit
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

AMD finally beats Intel so fanboys become literal fan boys.

Because it's still worse than not having a fan at all.

When did VRM cooling even become a thing? Is this some 1337 gaming motherboard thing I have been completely ignoring for the last 13 years?

There are some no-fan options, but they require heatpipes to draw the heat up to somewher else they have stuck heatsinks, like VRM, because a suitable heatsink on the southbridge could interfere with graphics cards.

Tiny fans like that always have shit bearings, wear out and seize up after like a year. If it's really necessary for cooling, then the system will shit itself

>When did VRM cooling even become a thing?
About 15 years ago?

Because most of the motherboard design are legit retarded
They could have put splendid copper finns heatsinks over the southbridge or heatpipes like the 2000 to 2005 Nvidia housefire chipset era but they decided to use a "asstetic" solid heatsink with a fucking tiny fan

For me it's b550 chipset as soon as the special class gets shot

because moving parts wear out and when your 300 dollar mobo has a worn out fan what do you do?

The first time I ever heard the phrase 'VRM cooling' was last week, have I crossed into another dimension or have I simply unconsciously avoided the tier of motherboards that require this sort of thing up until now?

Or, possibly, you're some underage faggot.
For starters, this isn't even VRM cooling.

Attached: 1462807437206.jpg (540x437, 244K)

How about some actual VRM cooling?

Attached: 1737_6.jpg (400x417, 45K)

3 reasons:
A likely first point of failure down the road.
Noise.
Another vacuum cleaner dust pit.

because boards with chipset fans ALWAYS fail after a year or 2.

I've seen, like clockwork, about 100 nforce2/3 mobos dead or unstable from the tiny fan being dead 4-5yrs later.

Everyone that buys into this shit is going to be looking for a fan in 5 years. There won't be any.

I'm not. I bought pic related. I had old motherboards whose chipset fans are still going strong to this day. Only the ignorant give a shit.

Attached: X570-Ace.png (998x886, 824K)

kek'd

i've never seen graphics card fans die

fans on these motherboards are really just a hamfisted attempt by motherboard manufacturers to introduce higher failure rates so they can sell more product

Motherboards are shit enough to just fail on their own, they really don’t need help from a fan
Just because something is fully solid state doesn’t mean it’s invincible

I'm not worried at all because the fan won't turn on.
I'm also not worried about it dying because I won't be using RAID over PCIE4 so it'll never get hot enough to matter.

Just have good case cooling, update your BIOS and the fan can die after two weeks for all I care, it won't matter or change a single thing.

loled hard

God that's so ugly.

shit taste

it's inside of a windowless blacked out case. The fuck do I care what it looks like? I bought it for the solid VRM/caps, ECC support, and triple x8 PCIe 4.0 allocation if I want to run 3 devices.

Copper is expensive. Hell, aluminum is expensive.
You better save some aluminium and install cheap plastic fan.

>huge ass ATX mobo
>only 1 M.2

Why?

The fans on AMD cpus and gpus are already bad enough because those things are pushed as far they will go according to the laws of physics but now on top of this you introduce a fucking chipset fan that sounds like a jet engine.

Unless you're third world poor there's simply no reason to buy AMD

The only time you will ever hear it spin up is in M.2 NVMe raid.

ok motherfucker

That's a lie.
The fan is Always on. Always sucking 8 watts
Regardless of a 4.0 device being used.
Rumors are supporting it has to do with infinity fabric communication and not supporting 4.0.
And it's a fucking useless design as well.
Reviewers have shown a basic bitch heatsink works fine.
It means some chink factory had 1000s of 40mm fans to offload to stupid consumers.

There's two
Motherboard manufacturers are actually getting their shit together and shipping them with m.2 heatsinks.

Shame about the fans though.

there's one down low and one above the top PCIe slot under the cover.

this is you

Attached: this_is_you.jpg (960x1440, 284K)

>Always sucking 8 watts
There's no fucking way that fan draws 8 watts.

Plant a $0.50 heatsink on it.

So what? The fan can die for all I care. The loss of the fan will create zero impact UNLESS you are running PCIE RAID, even then, adequate case cooling will take care of it.

Also, manufacturers are releasing BIOS updates which either add adjustable fan speed curves or reducing speed.

Nothing, because I never needed it in the first place.

he means the chipset. It's idle power use is 8 watt on 14nm, while x470 idle was like 3 watt on a 55nm chipset. AMD fucked up the chipset, there is no excuse for such a massive idle power usage

They didn't "fuck up the chipset". They introduced a new technology called PCIE 4.0. It uses more power and creates more heat.

Your graphics card fan isn't some 40mm piece of shit, it is harder for larger fans to fail

>it is harder for larger fans to fail
kek

I think I'll go with the X570 Aorus Xtreme since the chipset has a heat pipe that goes all the way to the VRM and the motherboard is just so better than the Formula
I'm using a Z370 STRIX-E and I have a 40mm fan that's cooling my main M.2 NVMe SSD. It's pretty useful. I wanna attach another one for my VRM just below the CPU pin but my Noctua NH-D15 won't allow it

>tfw B450

Attached: 51jaxTeKHOL.jpg (500x500, 42K)

Or just use better fan technologies, like the maglev ones.

When I do go x570 - when the 3950x becomes available i'll just 3d print a mount to replace that with a 92mm noctua fan - problem gone

VRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

No but seriously you need to look up human sound perception and the harmonics/resonant frequency of small fans.

will the mount have a shroud?

sorry, but such massive idle usage is a fuck up that can't be blaimed on pcie 4. It's just a bad chipset because they reused the zen2 i/o die in a manner that it now has not used silicon that still uses a great deal of power.

The capability that PCIE 4 provides is much higher than PCIE 3, and when that capability is utilized, up to 15W of power will be able to be supplied. The fan exists on the premise that it may be needed to cool the chipset under that demand.

For idle usage, the fan will be off or on low speed, depending on the quality of the manufacturer. It will idle at a higher power than PCIE 3, but is that really such a "fuck up" in your mind?

It's not even a consideration I had when I purchased my X570.

Now plaster it in fortnite logos with RGB lights everywhere. Maybe some rainbow anodized aluminum is more your style you triple faggot nigger.

Don't really know until I decide on a board and get a good look at the heatpipes, most likely end up slapping on some heatsink and mount the fan as close as possible to blast air over it, a shroud would be a major pain up the ass to deal with and it won't look pretty with the 3950x doing it's thing I won't care

fpbp

Take your meds LOL

Jow Forums always thinks bigger is better.

>fans on these graphics cards are really just a hamfisted attempt by GPU manufacturers to introduce higher failure rates so they can sell more product

Zoomers like you just don't know the nightmare that are chipset fans. And yes, 8 watt idle is a giant fuckup. The fan will always be on, you can't passively get rid of 8 watt with a tiny flat piece of alu like on 99.9% of all the x570 boards. Even the standard 11 wattt max (15 watt is just a few boards with a different version of the chipset) could be passively cooled with a proper heatsink, but decent heatsinks are sadly lostech in this dark age of plastic shrouds and blinking rgb's.

>Zoomers like you just don't know the nightmare that are chipset fans
ah back when fans were brushed and the bearings were for shit.

The DFI Lanparty NF4 fans were maglev and still fucking shit.
Things should have improved by now, but it was hardly just a brushed/bearing problem.

Attached: dfilpnf4sli_f.jpg (450x377, 101K)

So what? It can fail on day one for all I care. I won't make use of it and it's failure won't mean anything.

Because small fans have a higher pitch than bigger ones.
That think will screech like hell.

It certainly would. Luckily it spins at 20-30% on idle, if at all.

There's nothing wrong with chipset fans

Attached: Capture.png (879x537, 74K)

I would definitely buy x570 if I could but that fan is a big upset because if it at some time dies then your Mobo is finished.
Fans die more easily due to dust and other things.

docs.google.com/document/d/1p0X2EJv9t9TWYiTBoSoGGpwjtgbyCxZIyPGuu7Z7mW8/edit

disassembled chipset fans. The 'heatsinks' are a giant joke, you can forget doing any passive cooling. Those fans will always be running, and in a year or two you can throw your motherboard away as the fan will be dead and you will not find a replacement.

Maybe you should vacuum your room and dust out your pc if your components are regularly being killed by dust.

But thanks for telling me that the chipset fan dying kills the mobo.

>In a year or two you can throw your mobo away
That's ok, they have a three year warranty. Based on my usage involving no use of PCIE 4.0 RAID, I'm guessing the fan will work until I get a new mobo in 6-7 years.

>tfw the jews want me to suffer

>Based on my usage involving no use of PCIE 4.0 RAID
That's not the reason it runs hot. It outputs a constant amount of heat regardless of bandwidth usage.
>three year warranty
Expect it to die on the first day of the third year then.

this

PCIE GEN 4 chipset requires 15 watts - AMD has no choice in the matter. Why is Jow Forums so mad about it?

>Maybe you should vacuum your room and dust out your pc if your components are regularly being killed by dust.

Or get a positive pressure case.
I never get dust in my PC and my room is dirty as fuck.

>Expect it to die on the first day of the third year then.
That's not how warranties work.

The heat emited is based on usage. At low usage, low wattage converts to smaller amounts of heat than it would at high usage. Idle wattage is not max wattage, which is 15W. Hence the fan not needing to go above 20-30% at idle.

If i can be even bothered I might disable it on day one. I have no need for it as my case will have good airflow.

All this AMD cope.

Their new CPU is loud as fuck.

It's slow.

It's expensive.

It has a fan on its motherboard.

and yet Ryzen 3000 invalidated every Intel product available.
9700K and 9900K still beat it by 5-15fps in games at 1440p, but are still not the overall better choice. Cope more.

Those ASRock mobos don't even have fins?

give me a single reason not to wait for b550

Sounds like you can't decide if this is the time to upgrade for you.

This is the perfect time to know if you want to upgrade, but if you feel like waiting, it means you're not ready to upgrade.

1600X. maybe i should just wait for second generation of AM5 (so i wont end up as early adopter potentially hit by AMD fucking compatiblity with DDR5 again)

imagine having a loud computer like in the 1990s

Waiting for Zen3+ or further? Gee that's a long time to wait. Especially considering we don't know what benefits, performance and price blowouts that DDR5 will bring.

YOU FUCKING BRAINLET RETARDS, PCIE 4 REQUIRES 15 WATT CHIPSET POWER. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHO FUCKING MAKES IT, INTEL, AMD, OR FUCKING ARM, IT WILL REQUIRE ACTIVE COOLING BECAUSE OTHERWISE THE FUCKING CHIPSET WILL OVERHEAT.

Yeah, 10 years ago nobody could use graphic cards because the mobos had actual heatsinks and heat pipes, retard.

blatantly untrue.
the x570 chipset fan is just lazy design. a heatpipe from the VRM heatsinks to the chipset heatsink would have done enough to dissipate the heat.

Should i waitfag for 2080S or 5700 XT 3rd party cards? 1440p144hz btw.

>Amd sucks at implementing pcie4.0
>therefore pcie4.0 is inherently bad
>stop blaming amd you brainlet retards

wrong thread whoops.

>$800 vs $400 budget

lol, yeah a heatpipe that long would look great wouldn't it?

Yes, and for some reason only Gigabyte offers a single mobo with a heat pipe for the chipset. They are also charging $1170 AUD for it. I guess AMD should be blamed for that too.

10 years ago chipsets produced more heat than x570 and were all passively cooled you zoomer nigger.

actually, the only X570 board that does it looks fantastic with the pipe

Attached: GA-X570-AORUS-EXTREME-lrg.jpg (960x1927, 418K)

My psu fan is silent. I don't want a mini jet engine making noise so I can have 1000mbps faster ssds.

10 years ago graphics cards were almost universally shorter than today.

If you say so, zoomer nigger.

>and were all passively cooled you zoomer nigger.
Willful ignorance spotted.

Couldn't you just put another fan on top of it to handle the cooling if the original one dies? It won't look pretty, but I reckon it'll at least stop the board from crapping up.

AMDrones have already all gone deaf from the bulldozer era furnace and 300w sauna stove GPU cooling.

hello re-ddit

I have no idea. It makes no sense, I mean, you have at least GPU fans near that thing, how that little thing can be louder than a GPU fan?
I have no issue with it.