Docker thread

Is it worth it to switch to docker for your homeserver? Everyone tells me how easy and useful it is but just looking at the documentation of Traefik it seems like a pain in the ass instead of a help.

Attached: Docker_leadimage.png (300x176, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.docker.com/ee/ucp/interlock/usage/interlock-vip-mode/#vip-routing-mode
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

docker is kinda gross - they have attention whore in dna - I think you better off with some bare metal automation thing - only good thing about docker is that its immutable artifact centric - if you want that

docker can degenerate to system in system syndrome so why not run a tight single clean system in the first place

>Is it worth it to switch to docker for your homeserver?
...why? what are you doing with your home server?

Depends on what you run, if you have 1-3 services then usually no, more than that yes

Attached: file.png (411x366, 202K)

No, you don't switch, you just also use it where appropriate.

Try using docker compose for most things.

I also think it's great particularly for 1-3 services.

If you want "just another syncthing instance" and don't really give a shit about the details as long as it's a syncthing instance, editing your docker-compose file is really one of the least effort ways to get it.

I don't use docker so I'm in the thread so see what's so great about it.
But I can't maintain a clean system for long, as every "just try to copy paste from random forums and see it this fixes my issue" attempt at troubleshooting bloats my system. Then I did so many steps that I forgot which ones are really necessary but I'm too tired to clean things up, risking to break something along the way.

docker/kubernetes is only made for webservers any other use is retarded

i run various things in docker on my home server
two instances of rtorrent+openvpn, one for private trackers and one for public trackers
local web server for my homepage
gitlab
jenkins build server that i have never used
searx
recently i launched a minecraft server for myself and a couple friends in docker too
been thinking of setting up a jellyfin container as well, but i dont really have a use for it

I run docker on my homelab which is running gentoo. Currently I have:
pihole
syncthing
minidlna
nginx + php-fpm
and netdata for monitoring
You can use docker hub to pull images or if you're paranoid then you can create your own docker images. Advantages of docker? Easy to setup, consistency and no bloat. Try it.

Docker is good, Traefik is another story

Attached: file.png (1910x1072, 816K)

wow ok retard

Attached: file.png (1080x896, 1.15M)

redpill me on Traefik
been thinking about using it

I'm not using it myself, their docs are dogshit

Attached: file.png (912x684, 223K)

HAProxy or NGINX is the best way to do it, HAProxy is better but nginx allows alot of customization out of the box.

Attached: file.png (750x714, 601K)

I wanted to use Traefik for load balancing. Don't think nginx can do that?

As long as use VIP load balancing and point nginx to it, it can and it does a good job. I use both nginx and haproxy.
docs.docker.com/ee/ucp/interlock/usage/interlock-vip-mode/#vip-routing-mode

It's pretty good.
Almost performances on par a full blown Nginx proxy, so, nothing to worry about

Attached: 535b5a23a23cb039e695f95515b2c47a.jpg (1095x616, 19K)

No.

the whole point of docker is to deploy a stack unilaterally across multiple systems that all support docker as "containers" if that's what you need then it might be good. if you're running literally 1 stack on 1 system this is retarded, pointless, and a major waste of effort (unless you're doing it for educational purposes/resume reasons).

If you want to do multiple instances you might wanna check out kubernetes as well and see if that's better for your scenario.

tl;dr use google and decide based on your own situation

Attached: 1484870824596.gif (220x150, 1.35M)

Docker focker

Docker or containers in general are great, but I'm glad guix makes it easier to build a root fs that I can trust instead of pulling random garbage from dockerhub.