The most underrated distro

>the most underrated distro
Pic very much related

Attached: Tumbleweed-mix.png (546x231, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

news.opensuse.org/2019/07/11/tumbleweeds-july-snapshots-are-trending-strong/
youtube.com/watch?v=RbP9lNvmWKk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How does it compared to arch, package numbers wise and in terms of being easy to fix something that might fuck your system up from updating?

So I've been using tumbleweed for a few months and I never seem so much random animosity towards a distro. Every thread around the internet always has trolls and complaints about RPM and random shit. It showed me once again that you need to try things for yourself. Or about how YaST sucks but what the fuck dude just don't use it. I never did, the CLI works like every other distro.
This is the best distro I ever tried. It has rough edges like every other distro but it lines up with my kinds of tolerance.
OpenQA is really cool. Btrfs might have a bad reputation but I'm using it just for the root snapshots and it works great out of the box.
The Linux "tribe wars" are so tiresome.

>Most distros split packages up so that the headers are a separate package ending in "-dev". Gentoo doesn't do this. That would make Fedora/Debian/etc appear twice as bloated as Gentoo with identical dev environments set up. In reality, splitting dev packages off removes what most users would consider bloat.
honestly if you have that kind of minimalist and elitist arch mindset just stay on arch, it's called the containment distro for a reason

>I've been using tumbleweed for a few months
Use it for a couple of years.

You'll get used to it like you will get used to windows or ios

Its dead, jim

Get out shill

What's the difference? I updated asap and never had any problems. I don't use NVIDIA, VirtualBox or anything that might break with a newer kernel.
Kubuntu (4+ years) gave me way more problems. If anything breaks I can just move to a previous snapshot or wait to upgrade.
I've been throught at leats 2 big snapshots and my root size is still very small and under control.

No tumbleweed snapshots have been made over the last 10 days when usually one gets made every 2 days
SUSE has pulled the plug on this project, like when they fired their desktop team after being forced to become independent. Now that money is running low of course they'd stop any community supporting stuff.

>news.opensuse.org/2019/07/11/tumbleweeds-july-snapshots-are-trending-strong/
>The most recent snapshot, 20190708, didn’t offer a changelog due to the server that the web app uses to produce the changelogs being upgraded to Leap 15.1. The changelog is expected to be included in the next snapshot that is released.
And they are upgrading the infrastructure. Also, sometimes they add new compiler features and it might take some time to recompile all packages and a snapshot might get delayed to stabilize. This distro has QA and tries not to push broken packages.
>Every thread around the internet always has trolls
yes

youtube.com/watch?v=RbP9lNvmWKk

Attached: catchphrase.jpg (1600x1200, 148K)

can anybody that actually USES the OBS explain how it works? or do a comparison to the AUR
the aur sucks desu I only use it for mpv but is obs better? or is it like the aur full of broken packages and full of retarded maintainers that write even retardedierer pkgbuilds?

The most underrated distro is Slackware.
But if we are talking a distro with corporation somewhat backing it, it's ROSA/openMandriva.
SUSE is sluggish for no good reason, but I guess it's cool that they support KDE.

I don't see anything sluggish. If you opt for using the same cpu mitigations as other distros (less secure) the speed is about the same. I compile a lot of stuff and use VMs. But boot is slow like fedora, I think these enterprise distros do extra checks or something.

Any other tweaks/recommended settings for max performance?

dont use gnome

Slackware is abandonware.

If you are one of these MAX_PERFORMANCE_GAMERS or something you probably want to use ext4 for everything, even root. You won't have snapshots but you can use a liveCD to revert to that version, if your system ever becomes completely broken.
Btrfs is slower because of it's intended use and features. I'm not sure how that affects gaming but it would have the same speed as if you implemented btrfs in other distros like arch, but snapshost/btrfs are VERY integrated on openSUSE tumbleweed (e.g. boot snapshots directly from grub) and that's what's so good about it. I'm using btrfs for my root partition but ext4 for home.

Opensuse defaults to xfs for home which is faster than ext4

but 99% of linux distros probably run ext4 so do you think you could face weird edge cases with xfs?

Slackware hasn’t been updated since 14.2 and it’s becoming increasingly hard to run current apps

Also SUSE is a Slackware derivative

Suse/OpenSuse has not been based on slackware since like 2000. Its packages are far more up to date.

I'd like to know this

>[Citation needed]
Xfs is default in fedora and Redhat the only distros that matter and xfs is used by NASA. There is no issue with using it

I actually like using YaST and I like SuSE's out-of-the-box KDE integration, I've fiddled occasionally with various distros over the years in VMs or on spare PCs but SuSE is the one that got me to start using Linux as my primary daily driver a couple years ago and now I'm pretty much using it exclusively at home