/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1563137822163.png (500x333, 511K)

Other urls found in this thread:

training.linuxfoundation.org/training/administering-linux-on-azure/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Rxvt-unicode
invidio.us/watch?v=_kjbj-Ez1vU
savannah.nongnu.org/projects/gash/
geeky-gadgets.com/raspberry-pi-4-usb-c-cable-issue-confirmed/
wiki.centos.org/About/Building_8,
github.com/GitSquared/edex-ui/releases/download/v2.2.2/eDEX-UI.Linux.x86_64.AppImage
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

lisp is the most powerful programming language

size of this image makes me really uncomfortable

>a raw system, badly thought-out, most things break, very unfriendly to new users
>let's call it "minimalist" and make its deficiencies look like its features

what system are you referring to, user?

Attached: arch1.jpg (1000x922, 60K)

many newer 'hip' systems.

Scheme is the most powerful dialect of Lisp

don't overgeneralise, user
also, minimal distributions are not the same as distributions with a minimal install
>most things break
appears legitimate and well sourced

Backup solutions.
Local and remote
Let me hear yours
Programs, services, you name it

this is Linux Torvald say something nice about him

Attached: kmveovz1lfy11.png (1100x618, 467K)

Excuse me he made gnu

it's true for every second "minimalist" distro

certainly gnot
it was richards tallman

rsync, wrapped in some scripts

instal guix

What are some ways to make gnome less shitty?

Uninstall it.

Is there a way to create a new partition in my drive without reinstalling my current distro? I started to read the LFS book, but it seems that I will need a separate partition for the whole thing.

Uninstall it.

Search for "shrinking partition".

is there a difference between
renice -15 PID
and
renice -n 15 PID
?

Attached: brainlettttt.jpg (800x450, 45K)

Thank you, user. I'm gonna try to do that with GParted later then.

HAHAHA linux is cool sudo make me a sandwich HAHAHAHAHA

GNU/Linux*

Tell me about your favorite distro, what you like about it?

Attached: the big question.png (295x221, 93K)

>see pic
>got the feels from Wally
>lower left corner
I love you OP

Attached: 1475767369265.gif (512x384, 1.45M)

training.linuxfoundation.org/training/administering-linux-on-azure/
Imagine paying the linux foundation $299 teaching you to use linux in windows.

Is it true that everyone can just add sonmthing to pip and nobody checks if its malicious?

The same reason why aur-using archtards are laughed and mocked at.

I need help guyse.
I bought cheap openvz vps, it was debian jessie, I upgraded it to stretch.
I wanted to set up rclone there, I installed fuse, run rclone mount and get:
"2019/07/14 18:05:39 mount helper error: fusermount: fuse device not found, try 'modprobe fuse' first
2019/07/14 18:05:39 Fatal error: failed to mount FUSE fs: fusermount: exit status 1"
Modprobe doesn't help, after some googling I figure there isn't fuse module in shared kernel, so I wrote to support to enable it, they answer:
"We are enable Fuse your node server. Could you please check it now." (this is supposed to be american company...)
So I run rclone mount again and get same error as before. So am I retarded and missing something or is the support at fault here?
Normally I would ask my brother, who is better with linux, but he left for holiday, so you are my only hope. Thanks.

Is time for Torvalds to wake the fuck up

>Jow Forums
No thanks, senpai.
Too anti-Semitic.

Anyone into databending ITT? I've learned a lot about glitching images, but I've no idea how to glitch videos. Any hints? How would you corrupt a video using ffmpeg? For images I usually convert them to BMP and run some sed scripts on them, but using this on webms destroys the videos completely. I guess it's because I destroyed the headers.

Not a glitch guru, but a video is basically just a set of images, so why not convert vid -> images, do shit with images, image ->vid?

is there anything remotely close to pic related?

Attached: 1562618535463.jpg (1920x1078, 343K)

What happens when I install a custom icon for an application in my ~/.local/share/icons? Will the default icon in the theme be overridden?

What should i look for when I'm looking for a terminal emulator, i have been using linux for 3~ months now and from day one i used Termite because it just werks. i tried Kitty recently and it was a lot faster than termite, maybe because it's GPU driven or something like that?

My problem with these installer just werks distros is that i don't actually know what's in my system, what is find until i tried to actually configure some basic things and i was lost. it's true that it took me like a month to get used to arch (didn't even know what xorg and systemd is lol) but after setting everything up, i don't see myself ever reinstalling my OS again

>databending
the fuck is that? is this a zoomer term

Well, what are you looking for?

Does linux-libre even matter?

i don't know lol, i just feel like i'm not using the best terminal and i don't actually know what i'm looking for

If you want something terminal based check gtop.
If you want something desktop based check conky.
There are probably plenty more, these are just the first that came to my mind.

well URxvt is pretty universal and works fine after some configuration

>he's got the terminal-hopping fever
I usually stick with the default terminal for the distro. The most minimalistic you can get is st-terminal. Otherwise Termite, urxvt, xfce-terminal and the likes should be more than good enough.

You can pretty much replicate that as whole if you're autistic enough.
Good luck though, may the ricing wizards be with you.

How hard is he configuration compared to termite? afaik there's no config file for URxvt
yea that's probably right

>i don't see myself ever reinstalling my OS again
user that's because you have PTSD from the arch install. just use manjaro, much better than typing in a bunch of commands blindly from a wiki page. Unless you absolutely must see every package that is installed with the base system (you don't).

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Rxvt-unicode
invidio.us/watch?v=_kjbj-Ez1vU

>just use manjaro
no, if i want to reinstall again i would just use Debian or Ubuntu no this shit, also it's the installation but the setup process like figuring out audio and mouse stuff
thx, so if i understood correctly. there's no URxvt.font command but i have to write this in Xresources?

How do i fix this?
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/sonata/dbus_plugin.py:26: DeprecationWarning: Importing dbus.glib to use the GLib main loop with dbus-python is deprecated.
Instead, use this sequence:

from dbus.mainloop.glib import DBusGMainLoop

DBusGMainLoop(set_as_default=True)

import dbus.glib

By doing what it tells you.

Is there any way to do a slightly more vanilla version of Manjaro on install, i guess i prefer just applying my DE tweaks from scratch rather than having a ton thrown at me initially.

.Xresources yeah.

Evince doesn't open *.epub (Debian). What should I install?

it's called arch

I did that and then recompiled and the exact same error shows up

If you want to be a free man and want to use a secure system, yes.

mupdf or zathura or if you want the full reader redpill, calibre

how's linux-libre more secure? the releases are always way after mainline

What is the best way to set up Linux to send and receive email without using a DE.

I've tried a few different configurations, most of them didn't work properly and there is so much outdated, conflicting and incorrect information when trying to search online for answers. Trying to set up and try different configurations was a total nightmare and 90% of the howto's I found posted online seem to be copied config files from some other person's previous outdated blog post.

In the end I settled for Mutt with it configured to use a google email account. Still not 100% happy with this setup though.

That's because in Linux-libre all proprietary bits are removed. So first Linux must be released, then Linux-libre comes with a clean version.

install gentoo

Alpine or mutt (neomutt) are the main two. I don't bother anymore, too much email is sent in HTML format and it's irritating to read.

>using google
wake up senpai

Attached: 1530646316845.png (900x900, 654K)

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Anyone tried the Raspberry Pi 4?

Thinking of switching to one as my main PC when the 4GB model is back in stock, as the CPU should be significantly faster than my current PC.

emacs

asshole

They fucked up the usb c, i'd wait till the next shipping

Uninstall it.

Gnome should leave GNU aleady.

Ok thanks, wasn't aware of a hardware issue.

The USB issue isn't even a big deal if you use an official psu. I'd be more concerned with the fact it idle's at 52 degree c... Start doing stuff with it and it goes above 80 pretty fast and starts to throttle the cpu.

howdy pods

I'm in the midst of setting up a persistent LiveUSB running Arch.
I got to thinking: what's the best way to configure support for a wide variety of common wireless cards?

My goal is to be able to plug this stick into just about anything any be able to run a browser with a 'net connection.

Thanks for your thoughts.

savannah.nongnu.org/projects/gash/
>Gash is a POSIX-compatible shell written in Guile Scheme.

geeky-gadgets.com/raspberry-pi-4-usb-c-cable-issue-confirmed/

To the CentOS crowd; when i can realistically plan to see something of CentOS 8? I know there's wiki.centos.org/About/Building_8, but that's not helping me as I can't put that in perspective either. I know an exact date would be an impossible task, an rough estimate if it's going to happen before 2020 would be cool though.

Attached: 1459921785129.jpg (3500x2319, 1.64M)

I want to use vscodium as an IDE replacement, but when I see licences for some of the plugins my internal autist starts screeching. Are there any good FREE c++ gcc plugins, or should I just sandbox vscodium as a whole? If so, how does one go about sandboxing something on linux?

Attached: 1553595777812.png (808x360, 45K)

Excuse me but what you call Linux is in fact an array of semi-proprietary os. GNU/GNU Linux-libre is a fully free os.

GNU/Linux*

Truth deniers will hate this.

I'd be pretty shocked if 2020 rolls around and its still not here

>xfce-terminal
LXterminal and xfce-terminal are both skins of the same program, but xfce-terminal is for some reason about 5 times the size.
Thays weird, since Xreader (which is prettt much just an evince skin) does open .epub
You can set up your ~/.mailcap so that html gets parsed through a program that can deal with it, like elinks.
I've seen anons talk about how it can't even run a 360p video in fullscreen.
Why not just get the LiveISO from the Arch website?
AFAIK, CentOS gets released about 6 months after RHEL.

Are there rolling release distributions where you can conveniently reduce the scope of updates to just security fixes, and put some core packages on hold at your preference

Seriously. Listen. Stop using shitty shit shits. There are two text editors and they are called Vim and Emacs. Don't waste your time with toddler crap. Sooner or later you WILL try Vim or Emacs and get sad about all the time you wasted avoiding them.

atril, the MATE version of evince, does support epub

I wouldn't be particularly. A server distro should'nt be rushed too much from my thoughts.

That would be great if true.

Attached: 1455078241222.jpg (3872x2592, 3.26M)

>>I wouldn't be particularly. A server distro should'nt be rushed too much from my thoughts.
Well the server distro already exists, it's out already, that'd be RHEL 8. CentOS just has to rebuild fucking everything from source and get the Red Hat branding replaced. So they aren't exactly rushing anything.

I already got into vim some time ago, but I also need to get my job done and using gdb or some shitty autocomplete plugins sucks ass.
Vim is an awesome text editor and a text processing tool even, but it's not and IDE and trying to make it into one is dumb.
Using mouse for writing code is super inefficient, but using a graphical debugger is a godsend. I can drink my coffee and lay my legs on the desk while using the remaining hand to check what's happening in code step by step and check the variables by hovering cursor over them.

>my job
Stopped reading here. You didn't listen. Read my post again and meditate.

Using an IDE for writing a program is like using Dreamweaver for writing a website.

>without using a DE
Local cool kid can't even handle a little thing like email.

>CentOS just has to rebuild fucking everything from source and get the Red Hat branding replaced
>just
If there's be any just involved, it wouldn't be a task of half a year and maybe more.

I'm really not sure what to get from this post. Do you actually need to run a debugger several times during regular programming or do you think there are only "graphical" debuggers and what's worse?

When you say "Without a DE", do you mean "in a terminal/on the tty" or "without usinf the email client that is part of a DE"
If you are looking for a terminal solution, there are (neo)mutt and alpine. If you are looking for a graphical client, I can recommend claws-mail.

github.com/GitSquared/edex-ui/releases/download/v2.2.2/eDEX-UI.Linux.x86_64.AppImage

>appimage
Eww