/wdg/ - Web Development General

Previous thread: >Beginner Roadmap and Overview
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap (don't be overwhelmed, ignore the later parts and go step-by-step)
youtube.com/watch?v=UnTQVlqmDQ0

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction to HTML/CSS/JS and Node.js or Django
freecodecamp.org - curriculum including HTML/CSS/JS, React, Node.js, Express, and MongoDB
javascript.info - curriculum providing a strong basis in JavaScript

>Further learning resources and documentation
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
hackr.io - crowdsourced collection of tutorials (ignore sponsored stuff, look at upvotes)
learnxinyminutes.com - quick reference sheets for the syntax of many different languages
pastebin.com/gfBPg24A - Collection of PHP links.

>Need help with some HTML, CSS or JS?
jsfiddle.net - create an example here and post the link

Attached: wdg.png (1280x720, 422K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cloudflare.com/#what-is-cloudflare
rankem123.com
rankem123.com/?resultId=g8CKp1l7
infoworld.com/article/3074332/15-signs-youre-doing-agile-wrong.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Got any thoughts on transpiled langs eg PureScript vs TypeScript vs Elm vs ReasonML ?

We've switched to Typescript at work, it works well and the syntax is instantly familiar, definitely improves your code vs writing vanilla JavaScript. Not tried the others.

#banner {
width: 100%;
text-align: center;
position: relative;
}

#banner-bg {
z-index: -1;
}

#banner-content {
position: absolute;
}

trying to set a video as background of that banner element, currently nothing shows up at all
what am I doing wrong?

Attached: 1562268639660.jpg (6000x4000, 2.37M)

For front end you'd show off some pretty pages of different styles using different technologies for your portfolio.

What about backend? Have multiple websites hosted made with different technologies like php+mongo vs flask+mysql etc?

Attached: soda.png (600x664, 300K)

use an iframe?

do you guys know of a good redpilled domain resgistrar that respects privacy and wont sell out to google or (((them)))?

a good guide to privacy minded dns servers too? SQT is no help

Attached: __roll_rockman_and_rockman_classic_drawn_by_fujitsuna__sample-3d5b5ef4ced1f9f0f38cc238a9079f67.jpg (850x637, 186K)

Is Cloudflare’s registrar service available to use yet? They’ve basically committed themselves to not taking down anybody.

Set a height.

>trusted by discord
>backed by google
worriedlaughter.jpg
cloudflare.com/#what-is-cloudflare

set height to all elements, still nothing shows up

how does that work in this case?

got it, nm

Not too sure of the specifics. But I do know that iframes are a good way to do any kind of media content.

doesn't seem to make a difference here

Why the fuck do people use WordPress for non blog oriented content? I do not understand. Aren't there better front end managers these days?

trusted name probably. when you've been around as long as wordpress, you can get by purely by the fact that you survived this long

BRO WHAT THE FUCK WHY IS THERE SO MUCH SHIT TO KNOW
IM NEVER GONNA BE SUCCESSFUL WEBDEV AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

Attached: db4.jpg (495x362, 17K)

That seems pretty likely. Looking at the admin setup it's still the same garbage you have to shove plugins into to get it working.

0/10. Too bad I'm too lazy to code a real front end.

Step 1: ignore 99.99999% of the JS bullshit and just write your fucking own.
Step 2: You don't need to make fucking crazy goddamn Needs More Resources Than Fucking Crysis websites. Go back to simple fucking shit.
Step 3: If anyone tells you you'll never make it as a webdev by doing this, tell them "fuck you".

What would be the best way to wait for something to load before executing more javascript?

For example I'm creating a userscript that replaces a website's broken video and out of date video.js player with a working videojs clone of itself.

I want to wait until the clone is in (it's ID is video). How would I wait until the div video is found to apply my next line of javascript? I need it to add in the keyconfigs.

Is web dev a meme? Anyone living comfortably and unstressed making a decent amount with web dev?

Nevermind I did something elaborate idea and did a 200 interval that checks !== null of a video.js element in intervals then clears interval once it stops being null.

I'm working at the UPS warehouse for 5 hours a day and making 14 an hour with free insurance, but casually free lancing for money. It's actually decent if you treat it like a second job.

I use Epik then just enable their "privacy" function, it doesn't bother me too much as they're just pointing to my instances and DDoS/Load balance is done by myself. Just do networking by yourself breh.

I'm fairly competent at normal JS and want to make a mobile app, I tired looking at React Native's docs and my oh my, it's more complex than I thought

Focus on one backend and just do immersive things with it I guess? have a RESTful api and auth?

is epik a registrar?

Yeah, I started using them because iirc they were the first that let you "permanently" buy a domain, though that's false they can lose your name just like any other service but you do pay a little extra for insurance. I just then point the AAA and MTA to my vultr instances for layer 3 and layer 7 balancing, as far as I can see epik only gets my credit card info used to buy the name and nothing else.

>epik
>swiss bank account of domains
>has a product that essentially unburdens filthy domain parkers and speculators
I wish to burn them to the ground with salt and fire.

Park before they do bro, park before they do.

I want to murder all parkers. in cold blood, how dare these people price ordinary citizens out of the market so only (((whales))) can own the fucking internet.

Suppose you want to buy a domain in your name but some kid registered it to show off his LEGO builds. Domain parkers prevent this from happening, for a price.

I get hired by relatively small companies to automate their stuff(website instead of excel spreadsheets). Pretty comfy since I'm on my own most of the time. Also pays well.

bruh, pick a company name and park
don't be a fag just because you had some weird perception of honor for a domain name service - it's there to be used and abused, thats how computers work my friend.

I love typescript. The only reason you shouldn't use it is if you want something done really fast. I don't have experience with the others, but TS is the future

Can anyone help me learn django what books are good for learning it? I hope she made lots of spaghetti ect.

After learning the basics like html/css(would advise getting acquainted with bootstrap here as well) /js, go learn a real backend language that can be used for web dev (in my case it was C# (.net core web api to be more specific)) and afterwards just come back and learn angular. You dont even need to learn that much back end, just how to make a rest api (or at least get as close to it as possible) how http works, etc. and you will have a blast learning angular since a lot of the concepts are similar. Afterwards you will just have to deepen your knowledge in both back and front end and you can add some new frameworks on the side to be better than you currently are (things like firebase, jwt or something).

Forgot to mention that you should also learn a thing or two about node js before moving on to angular, or after learning vanilla js, your call.

wtf do you use that pic? we gay now?

Is it normal that this node_modules folder is not in the target folder? My application works, but when I try to wrap it into a Docker container I get an error that Docker can't find this folder in the target folder.

Attached: 7.png (463x502, 18K)

Document load event?

Why should it be in target folder? It's in same place as package.json like it's supposed to be.

So I am woking on my portfolio site and I am a bit of a crossroads. I am putting in info from my current internship, should I put a live demo of something I made for them? Or would pictures and more text explaining what I did there be better? I dont want to tell potential hirers everything they are going to hear at the interview but I also dont want to undersell what I have done there and not get the interview.

I see a lot of people on their portfolio sites just put business logos of where they have worked and rarely do I ever see something they made for them on their portfolios. I mean the whole point of a portfolio site is to show projects you made right?

I have no idea, but that's where docker is looking for it for some reason.

When I run
mvn clean package docker:build

I get
[INFO] --- frontend-maven-plugin:1.6:webpack (webpack build) @ myProject ---
[INFO] Running 'webpack.js ' in C:\Users\X\Git\myProject
[ERROR] internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:583
[ERROR] throw err;
[ERROR] ^
[ERROR]
[ERROR] Error: Cannot find module 'C:\Users\X\Git\myProject\target\node_modules\webpack\bin\webpack.js'
[ERROR] at Function.Module._resolveFilename (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:581:15)
[ERROR] at Function.Module._load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:507:25)
[ERROR] at Function.Module.runMain (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:742:12)
[ERROR] at startup (internal/bootstrap/node.js:279:19)
[ERROR] at bootstrapNodeJSCore (internal/bootstrap/node.js:752:3)
[INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] BUILD FAILURE
[INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any weab developers want to work on KawaiiChan with me? It's almost ready to publish, but there are some things to be worked on.

Just show what you've made. Maybe add it to the introduction text:
>Hello, I'm user, and I'm currently an intern at , building websites with various technologies, yadayadayada.

Read the docs, dude

What about a video.addEventListener('load', ())?
Should be better

>those fag colors
What does bloody poo sex and AIDS have to do with web dev?

I have no Access to NPM here, is there any templated create-react-app I can download?

didn't they kick out the daily stormer?

but how are you going to install the dependencies?

It's a simple project for retards, I wont need much.
I can download the deps later

>be me
>get a bachelor degree in law
>2100 euro starting
>make some affiliate websites in my spare time because I enjoy making websites
>sometimes sell a simple woocommerce or prestashop website for 1500 euro which is a couple days work to create my own theme from scratch
>see a traineeship
>devops traineeship where you learn how to use Agile/Scrum and Azure and get paid 2600 euro a month for it
My degree is really worthless. I literally wasted years on a degree that's worth less than knowing how to upload shit to Azure..

Attached: 1562442381801.jpg (399x400, 16K)

apparently a lot, specially with the design part

you just happened to learn very meme things on web dev but those meme things happen to be very valuable, at least it seem like it to me, I'm a web breinlet

I'm sorta in the same boat as you but with an applied math degree. I guess I will get a junior job over someone without a degree.

isn't applied mamths heavy on the programming side?

I have a statistics emphasis. I do a lot of data analysis stuff using R/Python and some Matlab work. It's applicable to backend webdev stuff mainly but I enjoy design.

Anyone else not feel secure with their job at all?

I've been job jumping to get to a really high pay and I'm always afraid I'm going to get fired and if I do get fired then I'm kind of fucked.

I'm kind of just working on saving a lot so if I do get fired I can live minimally for half a year and launch my own biz.

I could never see me getting a house worth my income level and just relying on my job though.

Always make sure to have some buffers. And to be able to create some buffers. Spending all your money on bricks is a bad idea. And I don't know how the social security is in your country, but where I live you lose some basic rights to social security when you start your own business. So you do have to take that into account.

gotchu

The first step toward financial freedom is to have enough money to live without work for at least 3 months. Work on this. Save up at least 3 months of your income. If you're making $5,000/month, you should have $15,000 put away.

I feel like it could all go away at any time

Attached: 45D5D639-9070-43BE-ACD5-127794BDB3C5.png (989x658, 72K)

Yeah, I'm doing this then knocking out my car and other debts.

Just sucks. I'm supposed to be on the new sprint, but previous sprint kept failing QA and getting a bigger scope, so I spent the last sprint working on it.

Basically I'm supposed to be on a new sprint but I just now started the previous one.

I'm 1 year away from a shitty job, minimum maybe 2. Fucking studying at 33, I'm a fucking failure at life.

Attached: 1530277072146.jpg (603x587, 68K)

no such thing as failure once you get your foot in the door.

thanks for the encouragement

33 is nothing. Also better now than never, right? Be happy that you are doing something good for your life.

Then whoever is running the process is a literal retard and you aren't doing agile. You are doing corporate agile, which is just waterfall with less planning.

we hire lots of new people at my job who are much older. even in shitty frontend webshit its still a meritocracy, if you are good you will get promoted or find better jobs fast. the vast majority of webshit retards are incompetent programmers.

I see. I didn't know that was a thing.

They say that the sprint is ending and the project should be due, but at the same time the project manager says that we are on schedule and not to worry.

So this is new to me. They won't even let me work extra hours to get it done over the weekends, so I don't know how important it can be to them.

I've been working on a polling website. The idea is "ranked choice voting" to separate it from places like strawpoll - meaning you order a list of options and then you can see how your group of voters prefers multiple choices.

The homepage is still pretty rough, especially on mobile. I hope to improve that today after work. rankem123.com

I think the results page looks pretty good though. E.g. here's a poll from /tv/ about which Emma is the best. rankem123.com/?resultId=g8CKp1l7

My next steps with are: polish the homepage, and switch to using a database to store polls on disk. Right now polls are just written out to a csv when they need to be persisted.

I’m also a former lawyer and now a web developer. It’s actually tragic how useless a law degree is outside law.

idk what i did differently. most of the css i added was for fluff, but most of it isn't necessary. maybe it's with the filepath or video file itself that's not working?

Attached: bg-video-anon.webm (1920x1080, 2.96M)

how shit at webdev can you be to be hired? I'm studying webshit but I want to stop being a neet asap

>clone a 4 months old project so I can start working on it again
>its react
>npm install
>a fuckload of dependencies are diwnloaded
>a fuckload of dependencies are downloaded for each dependency downloaded
>finished
>400 vulnerabilities found
What the actual fuck.

Attached: IMG-20190408-WA0000.jpg (352x352, 14K)

You can be pretty shit but you need to find an entry-level role.

Is there a reason to go for Java or C# if I already know PHP? I'm already leaning more towards JS/Node and I might me going too wide to accomplish the same thing if I choose Java/C#.

I'm thinking about going slightly towards C++ for, to say it like Londonfrog would say it, for the pseud-cred.

Londonfrog, the official Jow Forums meme.

infoworld.com/article/3074332/15-signs-youre-doing-agile-wrong.html

They don't always have good articles, but a few of the bullets here are very accurate, especially the first.

And then you proceed to ignore them and do your work because the deep dependency of some build tool is meaningless to your front end project.

This. I got a vulnerability alert in Create React App project where "handlebars.js" was the culprit. Why the fuck would CRA depend on handlebars.js is beyond me.

Handlebars is probably used by the plugin that generates the HTML when running "build". It probably has a listed vulnerability because of server-side usage, so there is no point for some build tool to go through the effort of upgrading when you know you are unaffected.

Not sure what thread to ask this but what coding languages do I need to learn to build an add on software for Microsoft word?

Attached: 1477346719882.png (612x491, 98K)

C# and maybe VBA

>clone year old project
>it's react
>npm install
>200 errors
>project no longer works
the state of web dev

i'm so fucking shit why why the fuck why i'm so shit i 'cant make a single penny from my work i'm shit why the fuck why how should i start i know how to code but i can't sell my shit evry single day i see posts and posts that say about getin a lot of money from shitty projects and i can't succed i can't sell a thing what the fuck is it just me fucking world

I don't know how to do the code boxes on Jow Forums so here's my code, why does it alert what the function does rather then calculate it?

let num_missed = prompt('How many points did you miss on the test?')
let fullNum = 50

let score = (num_missed) => {
let actual = fullNum - num_missed;
return actual / fullNum
};

alert(`You got ` + score)

>no package.lock/yarn.lock file in the repo
i shiggy diggy

Java and C# jobs will typically pay more than PHP/JS imo, because the static typing implies a certain type of software development (aka "enterprise") rather than websites or scripting.

C++ jobs also pay well, but the language will take you longer to master and greater technical competency will be expected.

If you're not learning for a job, learn whatever you enjoy.

VB if you just want a macro inside Word.
C# to write a proper plugin.

>`
>`
retard

(code)
some code
(/code)

Change parenthesis to square brackets to create a code block.

>how to do the code boxes on Jow Forums
it's explained in the sticky

>why does it alert what the function does rather then calculate it?
because you are not calling the score function.
See how you use () to call the alert function? The same thing you need to do with score, so it should be score(), otherwise you are just saying
>here add this function reference to the string

You are passing a reference to "score" function instead of invoking it. Try "score()" instead.

let fullNum = 50

let score = ((num_missed) => {
return actual / fullNum
})(num_missed);

alert(`You got ` + score)

Well, I guess that a higher order function also works.

let fullNum = 50

let score = () => {
return ((actual / fullNum)*100) + "%";
};

alert(`You got ${score()} on the test`)

Thanks for the help now I got it