/hpg/ headphone general

bird user resurrects your mom edition
how to request purchase advice
>location
>budget
>open/closed back
>on ear/over ear
>sound signature (if unsure, what music do you like best?)
>previous headphones
>bluetooth
amazon.com/s?k=headphone bluetooth adapter&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
>prime day
idk yet come back l8r senpai

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.png (564x421, 196K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/s/61srehjyaltd7w0/Stax SR-009S.pdf?dl=0
dropbox.com/s/dm0m6u3s3b4zqzl/Sennheiser HD600.pdf?dl=0
i.imgur.com/W7hz3rh.png
aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17441
mega.nz/#F!3MFm1DrD!4GlU_vNtEeF148kZcQ05wA
youtube.com/watch?v=Bf38cKJ6NBc
i.imgur.com/Dru4gzZ.png
somafm.com/deepspaceone/
pcpartpicker.com/list/XYMg8Y
youtube.com/watch?v=MFehcx6vqJ0
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_methods
youtu.be/caYqLPWcKZw?t=530
youtu.be/-yjZohb9xeM
youtube.com/watch?v=AlyFY0imh6M
amazon.com/ZST-Banlance-Armature-Dynamic-Earphone/dp/B01LZIPN4Q/
amazon.com/Koss-KSC75-Portable-Stereophone-Headphones/dp/B0006B486K
amazon.com/Koss-Porta-Pro-Black-Headphones/dp/B0755N6CSR
amazon.com/ZST-Colorful-Banlance-Armature-Earphone/dp/B01N0782B3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>wear headphones a lot
>can't concentrate while playing music through them though
>end up just playing ambient/pink noise to block out annoying noises
I should've just gotten BoseQC35s or whatever alternative NC headphones

1st (and only) for SUMMIT FI

Attached: 81EBF048-7681-4DB3-854F-B7FBE9AEFB1B.jpg (4032x3024, 2.43M)

Redpill on STAX for newbies: STAX is an old Jap company with outdated tech that was considered good back in the 1970s but sounds like ass by today's standards, so they went nearly bankrupt.

They were purchased for less than $900K by a Chinese company Edifier (whose primary market is cheap Chinese speakers and headphones) who decided to market STAX to the audiophool "more expensive is better" demographic who buys those crappy $3000 vinyl players, they shill heavily on HeadFi and here on /hpg/. They also leveraged STAX's prior Japanese identity to market it to weebs, using Youtubers like Zeos.

>In December 2011, Chinese speaker manufacturer Edifier announced the acquisition of 100% equity in Stax

Oratory has measured the highest end STAX, the SR-009S.

dropbox.com/s/61srehjyaltd7w0/Stax SR-009S.pdf?dl=0

dropbox.com/s/dm0m6u3s3b4zqzl/Sennheiser HD600.pdf?dl=0

It's worse than the HD600. HD600 scored 92 and SR-009S scored 76.

Recently Rtings rated STAX across various dimension, it's worse in terms of sound than mid-priced offerings from Hifiman and Audeze, and only got a 7.7 rating.

i.imgur.com/W7hz3rh.png

In a separate study:

>The very highest end STAX ($4000 SR-009) was rated lower in blind tests than a $200 K701

aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17441

Download the PDF of the study at: mega.nz/#F!3MFm1DrD!4GlU_vNtEeF148kZcQ05wA

To add insult to overpriced injury, they have shitty plastic build quality that you would expect on cheap chinkshit headphones:

youtube.com/watch?v=Bf38cKJ6NBc

Oratory (respected sound engineer) on the build:

i.imgur.com/Dru4gzZ.png

Even best Stax headphones sound objectively worse than mid-fi. This is why they don't demo them in store, they rely on the internet to create a sense of mystique around STAX and shill it as the endgame because its expensive, Asian, rare and obscure. In reality its Made in China snakeoil for the audiophool.

Attached: Stax Incel 15.jpg (960x720, 85K)

Well well well just what are you listening with tonight user?

Attached: DFE0BEA6-1C18-4066-9EB4-B4840AC4D0AB.jpg (4032x2200, 1.66M)

those will probably be on sale for prime day btw

Attached: IMG_20190714_215046.jpg (4000x3000, 963K)

Are sennheiser 599HD + Samson Meteor mic good for gaming/music/movies or should I just get other headphones with mic included?

>UK
>£80 or less
>closed
>over ear
>unsure if I listen to any type of music in particular - I mostly use headphones for video games and calls
>I'm coming from the cheapest pair of sony earbuds I could find at a pharmacy
>no bluetooth - I'd rather have a detachable cord
praying for prime day to come through for me

These are comfy. What are some good alternatives? Nothing with those replaceable gel things i see on many earphones.

Attached: 1166321_R_SET.jpg (620x620, 18K)

Is there any list or tier list of Jow Forumss approved headphones?

The replaceable gel things increase sound isolation tenfold so you can actually hear your base without ruining your ears. Earbuds give you tinnitus anyway. But fi you must, Phillips TX200 are the most you should spend on earbuds with good sound.

>USA
>200
>IEM
>In Ear
>SS should be neutral, I listen to Minecraft ost at the lightest and doom ost at the heaviest heaviest if that gives a general idea
>MEE M6 Pro were my last pair but theyre starting to go out on me
>I would like to be able to change cables for bluetooth
Appreciate any help

Here it is, sorry I didn't post it already, I was busy banging ur mom

Attached: headphone tiers.png (1536x3123, 1.39M)

What's the difference between 3.5mm stereo and. 25 inch stereo jacks?

>that black guy looking around before running away with the equipment

I listen to classical music. Budget is flexible, but not “SUMMIT-FI” flexible. The Fostex TH-X00 look cool, but I’m not into the Massdrop sort of thing. How long does shipping to Canada take with Massdrop? I’ve heard more than one month, and then complications with customs. What about HD660S—they’re like 450 USD? Or the HD 650? Or HD 700?i know that the Fostex and HD650 are warm. Is warm good for classical? Or the DT1990?

Also, I’ve never owned any audiophile headphones. Only speakers.I bought, then returned the FiiO FH5. I had to return them because of NO BASS. At all. I think they were broken or I was too stupid to put the fancy wrap around thing around my ears.

kek. I was too wondering why a black person was listening to headphones that cost more than his car.

Nice try

i haven't started with the real tier list

Attached: ko$$-bo$$.jpg (1600x485, 98K)

I will do it before you

Sorry, I forgot there was an updated version

Attached: 1563168759543.jpg (1536x2970, 749K)

It's not official /hpg/ guide, it's just your shitty daddy's guide

Nah, it's the official /hpg/ what NOT to buy list and it does a pretty good job of picking the worst cans available.
Remove fostex and elex, those are actually worth buying. Add poodeze and mrshitters for the complete turdlist.

THIS

So tell me, in all honesty btw, just what are you listening to?

Attached: C760A89C-3BF9-4BA3-9FAE-58CF165EBE4D.jpg (3159x2672, 1.56M)

Ethereality

KOSS PortaPros are garbage and plenty of chinkfi destroy it at the price point

somafm.com/deepspaceone/

Subway noise

>removed stax
So now it's not shit?

Attached: 1428512872036.jpg (300x314, 20K)

>NO BASS OMGF
If you like classical music so much then why you care about bass? I could recommend you something good but I won't because all you care about is bass and not the experience.

>classical has no low frequencies
The absolute state of /hpg/.

Everything has low end for the depth and
for combining everything, but if you like them boosted then get out of here

classical also has no mids

can confirm, also no treble

Everything has low end for the depth and for combining everything, but if you like them boosted then get out of here

I'm literally listening to classical music right now and they have mids and treble, you just need good pair of headphones. Newbies

I’d like to mention th bass was non existent. When I said there was no bass, I mean the there is no bass. When listening to a shitty pop song the best could not be heard.t theIEMs were broken.
The IEMs were obviously broken

>western united states
>$210 hard limit, preferably $150 or less
>preferably closed but my room is almost always quiet enough that open isn't going to be a dealbreaker
>over? the one where you can't hear your parents arguing
>neutral, I think. I'm not sure since I'm not an audio enthusiast and have no experience with actual good quality headphones
>shitty TB gayming headset my brother bought years ago
>no
I want something with good virtual surround sound, from the little research I've done the K701 and ATHAD700X are godlike to the point where they're like using echolocation in some games. also considering the ATH-M50x
also should I buy a sound card or any type of equipment? I'm going to build a PC, which is my source pcpartpicker.com/list/XYMg8Y
my primary use is gaming but I am using them for everything so I want them to be decent at everything. though honestly, many of the games I'm going to play aren't massively dependent on surround sound, the only strong example that comes to mind is devil daggers
can't think of anything else, so ask if I forgot to answer or mention something

Attached: do you listen to droning noise.png (537x646, 277K)

Audio-Technica MSR7NC or beyerdynamic dt 770 pro 32 ohm? Both are around the same price rn.

Honestly, as long as you have surround sound you'll be good in Devil Daggers. Great game btw. That said, if you want good sound quality and closed back your options aren't huge. I'd recommend the 598cs, I bought a pair for my mother and one for my little sister, last time I visited my mom pretty much didn't take them off, and my little sister happily uses them for video zoomer shit like fortnite. They sound pretty similar to my 598SEs, just with a bit more bass.

Is Shozy Hibiki Special Edition any good?

Just got my DT770 PRO 250 (arriving one fucking month before my DAC DX-6, wtf, I should have realized it's chinkware).

Really nice, now hearing sounds in pieces and didn't before (and now like some songs I didn't before simply because I seem to have missed those crucial songpieces before).

But some pieces I liked before with cheap bassy headphones are rather meh now, espacially edgy bassy ones like youtube.com/watch?v=MFehcx6vqJ0 The bass and audio-positioning seems to be down the drain generally, is that because I have no DAC yet (or some windows 10 option I need to enable) or is that because of the way the headphones were made?

>sound card
>2019
user please. Just get a JDS Atom instead. I don't have the 700X yet but I'm gonna buy them for the same reason, I've heard great things about them.
>my primary use is gaming but I am using them for everything so I want them to be decent at everything
They're good for other things as well of course. But like any proper headphones they need an amp.

Attached: 1532521310592.jpg (1200x675, 93K)

>JDS Atom
get el instead don't listen to that atom shiller

>el
>for gaming
Yeah okay

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_methods

I don't know about the worst, but it certainly isn't good for price point and preferences. Trying to tier headphones without context will always result in a shitty list.

dt1990 are sik

Forgot to say, you absolutely do not need a dac/amp for gaming. Put your money towards better headphones.
DACs/Amps are nice, but don't get them until you need em.

pls respond

should have looked at frequency response of DT770, beyers dont have good bass user

youtu.be/caYqLPWcKZw?t=530

Attached: nicemusicfaggot.gif (354x286, 53K)

dumb frogposter

post better music then

K701s are not the most bassy headphones around
in fact, most open backs aren't super bassy if at all
when I say bassy I mean "having bass impact"

I assume you want to buy a new pair, in which case if you get the K701s it'll be China-made
if you want more bass I think HE4xxs would probably serve you better, or a closed pair
but if you don't want to go the bass impact path and actually truly want to try out open pairs you'll find yourself going down a different path of headphones altogether

in short
if you really really really like bassy impact, open backs are probably not the thing for you. If you're willing to try something new and still want bass impact consider HE4xx perhaps, but don't expect something super impactful from open designs.

youtu.be/-yjZohb9xeM

Okay, you win

Dead thread

>location
NYC
>budget
$100-300
>open/closed back
Closed
>on ear/over ear
?
>sound signature (if unsure, what music do you like best?)
?
>previous headphones
Akg $68
>bluetooth
Doesn't matter

I walk a lot. Closed might be dangerous

If you go outside you should always do closed. It is not like you can't hear shit anymore.
On ear/over ear is if you want the headphones to press against your ear or your skull (bigger cups)

>particular amps are for some paticular stuff

Stop ruining this shit site even further beyond you cancer

Pretty good. But I think DT 770 and DT 990 should definitely be on there.

Attached: DT 990 600ohm.jpg (1500x1125, 350K)

HPG has taken a real dive lately. r/headphones is better now

Never, not even if hpg only had a single post per day

It's quality over quantity here. This general is only for the elite.

Attached: 1442852085261.jpg (200x200, 9K)

The thinking mans combination.

Attached: IMG_20190715_150625.jpg (4000x3000, 3.9M)

His PC is cheap, your advice is retarded

you just posted cringe my man

Attached: elex.jpg (820x547, 39K)

Apparently things might be a bit cheaper because sales. Recommend me some BT sporty earphones if you will, /csg/ redirected me to here. all I'm looking for is decent sound, freedom of movement and not breaking the bank. Appreciated.

Attached: 1561457361127.jpg (782x641, 89K)

What knob is that? Neat little mod. Magni 3 is a totally decent amp.

Posting cringe is not the against the rules bruh

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 9K)

No, it's not. The Stax shitposting has gotten out of control.

I can't remember since it's been a while. I saw an user with one a long time ago and found one on ebay myself.

What do you want to know? Do you like the DT 770 or not?

I own both of these but even with a new knob the magni distorts when you're adjusting the volume

replaced with jds atom desu

What do you guys think or shoulder speakers

Attached: IMG_20190714_122340.jpg (2000x2000, 409K)

youtube.com/watch?v=AlyFY0imh6M
have some happy music fellas, found this band yesterday

kz zst are on sale, not a very good deal tho
amazon.com/ZST-Banlance-Armature-Dynamic-Earphone/dp/B01LZIPN4Q/

i grabbed the black ones anyways.
i already have tin t2 but these will be cool.

Where is the iem general ffs?

Thank you user

np brother

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (1024x768, 119K)

Hey faggot give me something cheap that works. Give me something that sounds amazing for 4 months and then BREAKS because I don't plan on keeping things forever.

amazon.com/Koss-KSC75-Portable-Stereophone-Headphones/dp/B0006B486K
amazon.com/Koss-Porta-Pro-Black-Headphones/dp/B0755N6CSR
amazon.com/ZST-Colorful-Banlance-Armature-Earphone/dp/B01N0782B3

>Woo Amp
>Burns hole in a planar driver
whoopsie

get stax then bro

>Burns hole in estat
whoopsie

what does hpg think of Samson sr850 as a poor man open back headset?

nah those are generic shits like the superlux

>wanna lie down wearing he4xx
>scared of breaking them

Any brands which /hpg/ never talks about? RHA, KEF, Bowers & Wilkins, Bang & Olufsen

>RHA
worst brand out there
>KEF
bad
>B&W
bad
>B&O
bad

> Location
Canuckistan

> budget
open/closed
Closed, for commuting on train/bus

> on/over ear
Over ear

> Music Genre's
Metal(Black, Prog, Death, Power), Industrial/Techno (90's, FLA, :W:, VnV, Covenant, F242 etc)

> Previous Headphones
Beyers(770/880/990), ATH-50X (ugh)

> bluetooth
no

Basically looking for decent closed backs for commuting.

idk where my m240is went
they were ok