A serious question for Windows users

At what point did you give up on linux?
Has it always been a meme to you?
Did you fail to run a windows application without looking for a "free" alternative?
Is the terminal appreciation and focus of Unix-like tools too foreign to you?
Did you try it, give it a go, then just get stuck doing work on your comfortable environment like VSCode because it was unavailable for your distro?

Attached: disneynature-penguins.jpg (1000x563, 86K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Co6FePZoNgE
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Try harder

So it's always been a meme to you I guess, thats not a good outlook friend

i never did, i just left 10% of my hard drive to a windows 7 partition on the odd case i must use that OS, otherwise linux just does what i want better most of the time

I liked Linux better, but there are apps that won't run on Linux and I don't care enough to run multiple OS's.

Reminder that Linux is only free if your time is worthless.

Do you have a modern(ish) motherboard? Run that win7 in a vm and pass it a GPU

How so? I use Debian on my desktop and Ubuntu on my nextcloud instance, on both configuring a new application is faster than on my windows VM, "apt install xyz" I *might* need to configure a conf file, but again I'm on debian or ubuntu so I doubt it. Don't take the gentoo/arch meme pill.

I like the software on Windows better. I like only having to use my right hand to click and not type anything. I like a certain degree of customizability but I don't want literally everything tweakable. I want acceptable defaults. I want games.

That's why.

I use windows 7 by the way. Not cancer windows 10.

So it's always been a meme to you then as install Ubuntu LTS and get everything in that list.

because it's just too tiresome
for things you can get on windows with 3 clicks on linux you have to spend hours working on it so it won't shit itself every five minutes
plus everything is made harder just for the sake of being hard and inefficent

Why should that be true? An installation takes about as long as a windows update.

Ubuntu has click lag on everything and lags when dragging windows or doing any kind of basic navigation. The GUI thing Linux uses "server X", "X" or whatever is absolute garbage.

In Windows, you disable animations and when you click something it appears instantly as it should. Everything in the Windows GUI is snappy and fast. Perhaps when Linux gets a better window manager that then I'll consider it, till then, no thanks.

Did you give it a try just try to run a piece of windows software? Did you even give it a try and see if the memes about configuration are not actually just that, memes from gentoo and arch

> when linux gets a better window manager
You definitely have no clue what you are talking about.

have sex

You know what I'm talking about. It's called "X", and it's a laggy piece of crap. I installed Arch years ago, had a gui and i3wm, had ranger, mpv, fish and a bunch of other crap I forget the names of. Got my install all setup. Used it for 2 weeks. Everything felt laggy or slow. It got in the way of what I was trying to do.

The rendering framework and compositor where to blame, there are several hundred display managers for linux so just change to one you like. I hate to like a shill video but honestly, you're of the level who needs to watch it
youtube.com/watch?v=Co6FePZoNgE

>installed arch
>installed arch when you are referring to X as the "display manager"
The absolute CAPACITY of individuals today.

Don't bother trying to convert me. I'll switch when windows 7 gets some major security flaw that forces me too. I gave it a fair run, 2 weeks is enough.

You installed an advanced linux users distro, one that requires you to understand system management at a level you are clearly not equipped for and then said that linux is shite. Seriously install Debian, Ubuntu, Suse or Fedora - you aren't a tough guy by picking arch or gentoo, they're objectively bad fits for you and the only person who suffers is your computer putting up with your shitty decade old software.

Windows 7 runs smoothier in my old hardware. I've tried a lot of distros: Ubuntu and it's flavors, Mint, Debian, OpenSUSE (Leap, I think), Fedora (and some spins), etc... Debian was the only one that gave me a system who doesn't really felt slow, but still wasn't better than W7.

Right now I'm using Ubuntu with LXDE. Not a dual boot, just me and Tux. One thing that I like about GNU/Linux is how easy it is to build C or C++ code, something that is almost a nightmare on windows because everything is fucking bloated.

If I do end up making the switch it will be to debian this time. So don't worry, it'll happen eventually.

plenty of just werks distros that will take less time out of your hands than the average (forced) windows update

why are you putting X in quotes? that is it's name
and X isn't a window manager, it's a display server

Additionally, the nice thing about linux is that you can switch out any component you don't like. Don't like X? Use wayland, e.g. with debian.

It's been like 5 years since I used Linux for 2 weeks. During which I studied the hell out of it, based on Jow Forums's (meme) recommendations I went with Arch. Reading up on it on the Arch wiki was fun. I also installed Ubuntu, Mint and Manjaro. Did some research and figured Debian was the best distro for me by far but at that point decided I had enough. Now almost everything I remember I've forgotten.

Went back to Windows 7 and everything felt soooo right. Never going back to Linux until 7 gets a security flaw. Refuse to use pajeet OS.. so yeah when that time comes to switch it will be Debian.. and I'll more than likely be using passthrough to run 7 in a virtual machine lmao

7 to me is the perfect OS.

Attached: 305283.jpg (225x350, 48K)

>At what point did you give up on linux?
Mostly when it lacked the software that I use and when I saw that there are no serious distros out there.

>Has it always been a meme to you?
I've been following desktop Linux for a long time. I really wanted it to succeed and I thought it would become popular at some point. Now I no longer think that.

>Did you fail to run a windows application without looking for a "free" alternative?
There are no Linux alternatives for 90% of the software.

>Is the terminal appreciation and focus of Unix-like tools too foreign to you?
Somewhat, but it's not that bad.

>Did you try it, give it a go, then just get stuck doing work on your comfortable environment like VSCode because it was unavailable for your distro?
Kinda, except not VSCode, but a bunch of other stuff.

Attached: linux problems.png (710x946, 87K)

I need to be able to run Adobe and MS suites natively.

I gave up because my nvidia was giving me a lot of trouble. OS itself was neat though, I'll try again if my future hardware is AMD.

>A serious question for Windows users

If you get answered seriously outside of memes you'll get slaughtered.

Attached: install gentoo.jpg (400x550, 102K)

Linux 0.75%

Attached: StatCounter-os_combined-ww-monthly-201806-201906.png (1280x720, 148K)

>At what point did you give up on linux?
Never even tried it.
Yes.
>Did you fail to run a windows application without looking for a "free" alternative?
"Free" alternatives are a joke.
"Unix" is a failed paradigm. Even Linux doesn't follow it any more.
I'm a sysadmin and I use the terminal (powershell) quite a bit.
>Did you try it, give it a go, then just get stuck doing work on your comfortable environment like VSCode because it was unavailable for your distro?
Never even bothered.

Not the guy you responded to, but I always thought Manjaro was one of those advanced distros on par with Arch or Gentoo. Glad I watched that video and cleared up that misconception I had. It's very cool, it looks nice and it provides many difference choices to pick from.
I think I will definitely try it out someday, I'll certainly keep it in mind now. Thanks for linking that video.

haven't really given up
but I can't be arsed to deal with not running software because I'm using some particular OS over another

nah
hell, most of the big issues I dealt with when I started are gone (wifi works OOB most of the time, same with video and 3d acceleration, programs now play nicely with pulseaudio and pulse doesn't fucking go down all the time anymore, I'm not constantly closing programs so another can use the soundcard).

I used to do the big hardcore Wine use thing, Photoshop, Flash, Renoise (for VST support -- I'd use the native release to edit a song properly because 200ms latency or some shit, but it worked for rendering songs, and at the time, Renoise didn't play nice with other programs using audio, that issue's been gone), etc.
nowadays, I don't think I use Wine to run anything anymore

I'm in a spot where most of the software I run is Free Software...
...except it targets Windows and isn't just a recompile away for running on Linux. It's mostly converters and toolchains (one of which only added Linux support a month ago, and it still just runs a few parts in Wine, it's just that the guy tests to make sure that shit runs under Wine), some music software (famitracker had upwards of 400ms latency running under Wine last time I tried it).

so, given the effort, I could port it and be done
but that's a fuckton of effort

no
like 90% of the terminal things I did on Windows used Cygwin, and then later, WSL

visual studio is pretty nice
kinda really wish there was anything as low-effort to use as winforms+c# on Linux
could look into how mono handles it, I decidedly remember it being fucky though