I could play this game on an Athlon 64 X2

I could play this game on an Athlon 64 X2

What the fuck is wrong with modern developers?

Attached: 6sy1kr4yw5l11.jpg (960x600, 258K)

Women and niggers can’t code.

they learned from linux and decided that everything must be a library.
you want a UI in the game? It's part of a library now. The physics? all done through some other software. The engine? We took the most feature-packed engine, and just left in all this shit we're not using.
oh, except the game's logic. since the programmers are only good for importing libraries, any custom logic will be implemented in the least efficient way. Well, not just that. Because we used a library for some of this, we can't even use the most efficient way any more.
finally, games are doing more these days, even if half the time you're not seeing it. There are many small details in many newer games that would otherwise be impossible on older systems.

Hardware manufacturers like AMD apple Intel Nvidia etc. Encourage developers to use their libraries which aren't the most optimized for one.

Yeah it's amazing how good the game looks to this day and what hardware it can run on.

But then again, despite how it looks at first glance, it's pretty linear with you being confined to fairly narrow paths, modern games may have now evolved much graphics-wise but they can be much bigger everywhere else.

Crysis was very futuristic in 2007 but in every way except for the detail of the foliage it doesn't hold up anymore. It's an inefficient game on the GPU and depends entirely on a single CPU thread. There are a lot of modern games that both look and run better.

Nothing, UE4 is highly optimised and you can do infinitely more now.

you are fucking retarded.

AC : Unity was futuristic too

A modern CPU still can't play it at a fully locked 60 fps.

strong counter-argument, I concede all points and name you the victor of this conversation

>I could play this game on an Athlon 64 X2
Unbelievable.

Attached: Untitled.png (1920x1080, 444K)

crysis wasn't actually all that good when it comes to overall optimization. yes, it was running on old hardware, but it was also optimized for 30fps, good luck hitting constant 60. also, physics was lagging on weaker cpus, physics calculations were strongly dependent on settings, no wonder you can run it on your core 2 solo when it doesn't calculate anything.

obviously all of those choices were good for their times and it was a well-coded game, but it's not like they programmed some kind of an engineering miracle. they just targetted the hardware of their age, that's it. you could run crysis on low-ends of your era, you can run witcher 3 on low-ends of crysis 3 era.

>Women and niggers can't code
You realise Crysis was created by turkish immigrants in germany, don't you? It's all about what kinda person you are, not where you come from. Even though that is usually a good indicator.

>they learned from linux and decided that everything must be a library.
That was the same when OP's game came out. And they didn't "learn from linux", that's the common thing when you purchase well-tested libraries instead of wasting time rolling your own shit that will end up worse.
> finally, games are doing more these days, even if half the time you're not seeing it.
If nobody's seeing it what would be the point in implementing it?

>turkish immigrants in germany
it takes 30IQ to port some algorithms in c++ using a graphics library,
but it takes a white man to optimize them.

Attached: i.p.jpg (340x230, 11K)

Can you blame a game from 2007 for not being multi-threaded?

The fact that you said "they learned from Linux" proves that you're a 20 IQ mouth breathing subhuman retard.

...yes?
What fucking 2007 did you live in?

Meme resolutions and framerates, bad OS and programmers all together working for a industry that wants you buying their new hype shit every fucking year.

I don't blame crytek for not using physically based materials either. There are things that came later and they did not have access to but they are still improvements. The reason we can have open world games with massive crowd simulations is because of thread scaling.

crysis isn't actually all that incredible in terms of model detail or texture detail or post processing but what it does have is a spectacular art direction. it looks good because they made the right choices with lighting and foliage not just in terms of graphics but in terms of basic physics modeling and a general sense of player interaction with the game world.

crysis 2 is a technically more impressive game and has a more modern graphical approach but it still looks worse and less visually impressive than crysis 1 because of dat foliage. look at that foliage. the palm trees in crysis look so fucking good

Attached: crysis.jpg (1278x720, 268K)

farcry

I once heard that crytek expected cpus to have like 10 ghz on single core, instead we got multiple cores and the game engine doesnt make good use of that

Fuck, that looks good.

>Game Designer Dennis Schwarz
>Game Programmer Craig Tiller
>Lead AI Programmer Kirill Bulatsev

>Lead Animator Stevan Bander
>Lead Animator Andrew Dorr
>Lead Animator Antoine Tran

Do you well aware that none of these important people are Turkish immigrants?

because it's a pre-release bullshot. easy to tell because final version had jagged edges on alphas (trees, whatnot), it was fixable with config tweaks but otherwise game looked worse in default

still came buckets when saw it in 2007 running at 2fps on cheated dx9 very high on gf6200

Attached: Crysis_15d.jpg (800x640, 139K)

no, it was fixable by just using temporal AA
the only mistake was Crytek calling it "no AA" in the setting, confusing everyone.

their performance projections were based on the pentium 4 family, in which performance scaled well with clock speed. The early Netburst-derrived dual core processors were very different from the Core architecture multi-core processors that came out in 2006.

crysis did take advantage of multiple cores, it just took advantage of them thinking that multithreading meant 'hyperthreading' not 'two physical cores on the same die'

not only do the trees look good, they are dynamically destructable and the leaves respond to npcs, physics objects, and bullets. it's not just the graphics, its the graphics and the physics together. its the fact that you can cut the top of those palm trees off and chuck them around. i don't even think modern AAA games have physics

Because autists care. Same reason audio now exceeds several gigabytes of hard disk space. No sane person gives a fuck

that screenshot has the alpha blending problems you're talking about it just happens to have enough motion blur to mask it.

there really wasn't pre-release bullshit for crysis because all of the pre-release shit that tried to hype the game ended up looking worse than the game that shipped and the console tweaking people have done in the 12 years since its come out.

Attached: bullshot.jpg (800x550, 139K)

It was an amazing looking game when it came out and for years after but it's poorly optimized.
Crysis runs with regular frame drops even on the best hardware available now, it would still run like trash on a 9900K/3700X with a 2080Ti and 64GB RAM. The game just isn't well optimized. The first time I played it I played it on a Pentium D 3.2GHz with a 6600GT and 2GB of RAM. Later on a E8400 with a 8800GT and 4GB RAM.
It didn't run well on my i7 2600K, 1060 and 16GB RAM machine either when I played it last year.

There are better looking games that are better optimized like Doom 2016 for example, it runs on a toaster and still looks great.

There were multi-threaded CPUs available for years at that point. Quad-core CPUs were released in that same year.

Because rather than using cutting-edge hardware to fuel cutting-edge software, we instead got developers who are lazier and lazier and don't bother to optimize their shit.

Fuck fixing that memory leak, just tell the goyim they need to buy more ram
Fuck compressing the video files or only downloading the necessary language audio files, just tell the goyim they need to run out and get a new SSD for our 150GB game
Fuck culling, tell the goyim they need to buy the latest 599 US dollar graphics card

my goddamn laptop from 2007 was multi-core, yet crysis still only uses one core

the physics and gameplay of crysis are also underrated. Yes, it was pretty to look at in still images, but it was even more amazing in motion because of how dynamic everything was. And consolefags/poorfags tried to cope by claiming that crysis was just a generic shooter, when it was anything but. There hasn't bee anything released since that has gameplay like crysis 1. It was fucking fantastic being able to mow down entire forests with a machine gun ala Predator, or being able to take out tanks by loading trucks with fuel cans and then crashing it into the tank while bailing at the last second, or blowing up little pinoy shacks and villages, or using the various powers in creative ways, etc.

Video games are some of the most optimized consumer software. They sell on graphics and detailed simulation and have to run in 30 milliseconds per frame on an xbox. 3d rendering and simulation are very hard problems and will soak up any amount of hardware.

>please understand

this is your brain on Jow Forums

Optimizations take time, time is money. Publishers don't give a fuck about the game running well. They want their game out asap.

MIGA!

As far as I remember Crysis wasn't so smooth on my Athlon X2 4000 & ATI HD3850

I was able to play it smoothly once I upgraded to ATI HD4850 and Athlon x2 7850 BE

I just want a crysis wars update that updates the core cryengine (so it can handle more than two threads and fix the stuttering) and with a dx12/vulkan render pipeline. And make it DRM free and keep LAN functionality and dedicated servers.

Is all that really too much to ask for?

If you can extract more power from a playstation than your competitors you can make a more detailed and bigger game. That sells copies. Developers put time into pushing optimization because they know that.

To be specific: AAA games generally do not have memory leaks. You can play for hours and never see a loading screen and your memory usage is the same as ever. Storage size is ballooning because assets take 4x space for linear resolution improvements. Consumers don't seem to care because they have enough drive space. Culling algorithms are better than ever. GPU performance is important to game sales. Look up meshlet culling. Crysis has very poor culling compared to modern renderers.

>Storage size is ballooning because assets take 4x space for linear resolution improvements.

this is the thing that pisses me off the most because it's the one thing that doesn't really impact visual quality all that much and it has the biggest impact on the size of the game. obviously you need high quality textures but we've already reached the point where we have 2k textures for junk assets like rocks and throwaway props which are completely unnecessary and in lieu of actually optimizing the game around the gameplay things have stayed mostly stagnant as texture resolution and asset size keeps balooning because its something that publishers can just throw more money and manpower at

i'd rather have 512x512 leaf textures and dynamic foliage than 8k leaf textures on trees that have a pre-baked sway animation, but the later is cheaper and easier

i have an rx 590 and a 7600k and the game runs at 60 fps without any frame drops even setting the shadow map resolution in the console to 4096, which like halves your framerate. it definitely ran like shit back in the day, it ran like shit on my Phenom II and 6950 which is above and beyond its recommended requirements, but even mediocre hardware today should have no problem

I agree textures have mostly hit the limit for useful resolution. It doesn't affect runtime performance at all though because streaming or virtual texturing don't load the unneeded LODs. They're not really sacrificing anything except install size. Texture variety certainly hasn't hit any limit and geometry is probably going to rise another 100x before it's tapped out. I think the publishers noticed consumers don't care about install size and only limit it when they want to fit on blu ray.

God fucking damn it I had to buy a fucking 1080 ti to play games

Now even CS:GO looks much better (check those battle royale maps). Get used with it, grandpa.

Turks arent niggers and not necessarily women either. What was the point you were trying to make here you braindead retard?

you've got that backwards retard

Can't wait for Doom Eternal
10/10 visuals, 12/10 gameplay and godly optimization, what the fuck else do you need

take this man to the infirmary

you might have missed a not so subtle "false flag" there

retard

acting like a retard isn't falseflagging. It just invites more retards who don't know any better

yeah yeah yeah we've heard this one before
whatever helps you cope

>the physics and gameplay of crysis are also underrated.
t. didn't watch the hundreds of videos playing with crysis' physics back then

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (1280x716, 83K)

i was too poor in 2006 and had to settle for an Athlon 64 3500+
>could run crysis ok anyway

there hasn't been a good doom since final doom, probably why they called it that

>publishers noticed consumers don't care about install size
this really just betrays their short-sighted mindset because it absolutely affects how many people keep the game installed long term, which affects how many people play the game long term. but if anything they want to combat that because they want people to buy new games

based

>the mocap guys were german!!!
impressive, yet pathetic amounts of cope

>we wuz crytek n shiet

>it doesn't hold up anymore
>2007
12 years of stagnation

Attached: 1526761041.png (519x535, 326K)

>game designer
>game programmer

>haha look I'm so contrarian
this got old many years ago bro.

contrarian? i'm pretty sure that's the consensus

Attached: Untitled-1.png (302x39, 17K)

>random codemonkey """programmer""" contribution
cope

Attached: craig.png (769x333, 32K)

No cope. Youre a lying retard. Not to mention turks aren't even niggers to begin with, nor are most (if any) women.

sandnigger ~= nigger

Sand niggers aren't anything like niggers genetically.

this
there are great people everywhere

bait

You could play it at 1024x768 at 30 fps not even using very high settings

I love this >crysis was a well made game
meme by zoomers wanting to nostalgia over something.

Crysis is a poorly made tech demo that was criticised at the time for rightly running like garbage on anything that wasn’t a supercomputer.

A few years later and everyone brute forced it and suddenly it’s the most amazing graphics kino experience.

Chris Roberts fell for the hype and now scam citizen is vapourware.

now games need to work on phones

Go suck their turkish dicks faggot

audio needs to hit a certain quality so its never clipping and people with better setups get a better experience, however, console first development has 25gb of space, up to 50gb on the first gen consoles depending on game size, and wouldn't you know it, uncompressed wavs take less processing power, so instead of making the game size sane, they decide that we need 100% uncompressed because the console cant handle the strain of an mp3, and there you go, what could have been 9 gb is now 50gb (titanfall comes to mind as being the worst offender here)

no, sure there is a linear path that drives you to points to get to other points, thats what a story based game does, but I am so free to do what I want I can outright skip areas if I want to to progress the game. at least till the reveal happens it was on a set course to be among the best fps to ever be made.

and no, modern games have a better shader most of the time, not better graphics, and much bigger means nothing when its a wide open area of nothing, in crysis even in a big open area you are vulnerable to attacks.

nearly pissed myself laughing.

remember, at the time intel was telling everyone their shit would hit 10ghz, its not unreasonable for a developer to believe hardware manufactures, though I think building for current hardware instead of future is what should have been done.

my phenom II 955 was able to play crysis with next to no issues on a 5770 and later with the 280x the only times you got sub optimal frame rates was when you were doing something retarded with physics.

Is this modded and what mod is it?

Crysis looks good and realistic because of the artwork, nothing to do with technology really

How do you think they developed software beforehand? Have you developed anything yourself, user? Also, everything's a file not a library on *nix.

pretty sure its not modded, everything kind of looks like what it did when I played the game, if anything this is a very select area of the game that makes for a good screenshot

because game coders, outside of a few exceptions like ID, are rejects from other fields. mix in people above their leads telling them shit to implement and time frames that allow for 'just get it working' and you see why games are so fucking processor intensive.

you also get the fun aspect of we now have power to spare so if you don't need to clean up and optimize code why would you?

Are you retarded?

>because game coders, outside of a few exceptions like ID, are rejects from other fields
not really, they're people who want to be there, because the work is harder and the pay is less, if anything they're better than the average programmer in other fields
fucking idiots making up stories about things they have no knowledge about

not on ultra at a steady framerate. it played it just fine though. that user was talking about frame drops though and said that you would still get them on modern high end hardware and that's just not true

same thing that happens with android development
>Devs are shit
>the os is a fucking mess
>turns out it only barely works if you add more RAM
>cut to; phones having more RAM, Graphics, and shit than your regular consumer laptop

We could still use 2 or 3GB of RAM but fucking pajeet devs are fucking stupid. If you even need more ON A FUCKING PHONE than that you must be a fucking waste of flesh

Attached: 1560113186452.png (1131x1080, 362K)

Pro-tip: If you want to try the original Crysis experience without the annoying crashes and bugs, try Crysis: Warhead instead

It'll run a lot smoother and stable. It's basically the same story and setting but from Psycho's perspective instead of Nomad after the team is separated.

So it is a well made game, it was just too much for its time
fighting tactically with a nanosuit never got boring, it was a novelty.

I haven't played a video game since call of duty modern warfare 2
do games look better today? if so, how much better?

the pay is less because they are worth less, and the work is harder due to time constraints not allowing for better code implementations. the people who can do this work are better almost anywhere else and they washout to those better areas or by some dumb luck find a place that actually pays them and treats them what they are worth, everyone else is there because they cant crack it as a coder elsewhere.

not that much better tbqph

Okay then, buddy.

its a toss-up
cutscenes can look better
but average gameplay not really

If this isnt bait your a legit retard

>just not true
yes it is
dips to the thirties whenever anything involving a lot of physics is involved

how about vr?
is that any good?