Hey Jow Forums if you're so skilled why don't you make an isometric city building game for Linux?

Hey Jow Forums if you're so skilled why don't you make an isometric city building game for Linux?

Attached: simcity.jpg (800x600, 288K)

Other urls found in this thread:

compoundtheory.com/some-arguments-against-linux-users-dont-pay-for-software/
github.com/lincity-ng/lincity-ng
aeplay.org/citybound
github.com/lincity-ng/lincity-ng/commit/3e94c18bf1bf04cc381b71ce12b2073ed388a81d
store.steampowered.com/app/1084020/TheoTown/
gog.com/forum/sid_meier_s_alpha_centauri_/enfrlinux_install_alpha_centauri_on_debianubuntumintetc/page1
aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=05c5be1bf3a0cb9ed2f412661c1ad502&topic=3011.0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why should I do anything for free.
Pay me

>Jow Forums
>skilled
>make
>game

Attached: tumblr_pkqk72Z5Gu1v6k9va_400.jpg (328x328, 17K)

why do retards think of free labor when they read/listen about linux.
op said make it for linux, not make it oss.
first post faggot post.

But you're already rich from all your superior skills, what's one free game for you

Freetards dont pay for anything

I could if I wanted to bb.aka!

linux gamers tend to have greater engagement with games run on linux, due to their support of their platform.
compoundtheory.com/some-arguments-against-linux-users-dont-pay-for-software/

I made an isometric game in delphi as a 11-12 yo kid during a summer holidays trip. Complete with level editor It was re-rendering everything rather than updating values/variables/components. After around 50-100 actions it was unstable on mobile celeron I used.

Since then I forgot how to program and I'm a professional sjw. Depression kills your thinking.

>being a sjw makes you so depressed you can't program anymore
Sounds about right

ah man SimCity was my jam.

The percentage of personal computers is only like 1.5%. A quarter of those have a Steam account. Now I'm not saying all gamers are on Steam but it's still a pretty good indicator that basically nobody is on Linux.

Aesthetically, making a game like SimCity wouldn't be so bad. The hard part is the game design. That's what Will Wright is a beast at. Even if you make a straight up clone of SimCity, it would still take a few months at least, depending on the size of the team. And for some reason it has to be platform specific to Linux, so nobody would buy it and it would have all been for nothing.

Nobody who's skilled would make this game because you need to be borderline retarded to even think of making it.

Excuses, excuses

Already exists actually.
github.com/lincity-ng/lincity-ng

Attached: 800px-Lincity-ng.png (800x600, 895K)

The perfect city building game already exists and can run on Wine

Attached: 1eE9eyq.jpg (1920x1080, 719K)

someone make a logo first

I think you mean

Attached: oeu.jpg (1280x720, 348K)

my dawg!

absolutely not my dawg

Might be interesting any ready to use js libraries for a project like that?

>absolutely not my dawg
you do realize that Pharaoh, or Zeus for the same matter, are just rereleases of Caesar III with different assets, don't you?
pff, zoomers.

Ma nigga.

games are a complete waste of time
false sense of accomplishment and all that

Posting on Jow Forums is a complete waste of time
False sense of accomplishment and all that

>libre software can't be paid
absolute bell end

sure but windows is not an requirement :)

You forgot the QoL upgrades that were added for the subsequent ones.
C3 is good but you have to resort to weird tricks to do what you want.

Pharaoh really was maximum comfy. I still keep it on my HDD and play it once every couple of months.

If you guys liked Pharaoh/Caesar, you can try Lethis, it has the same mechanics basically with a steampunk environment.

Attached: 1525388794348.png (380x349, 77K)

Based. Can the other Impression games run on Wine? Would be awesome to do another Emperor run.

out of the way faggots
real men build ancient china

Attached: 26716c32d0f9eff28bafc708cc8913a188ce69ff3453eb7c33c097d713d5c21b_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_450.j (450x254, 35K)

I could never bring myself to complete that one.
It always felt like it lacked the soul of the older ones

i only every played much if pharaoh otherwise, both have their merits
emperor doesn't have the constraint that walkers have to go by a house to get labor so you can build wherever the fuck you want and people just go to work
i feel like its less forgiving economically, lack of hemp for one year will send your people back to the stone age but otherwise the focus is a bit different

doesn't run on modern linux distros

What about John Carmack bruh.

I have a fresh install of Debian Buster in front of me and its in their repos, so I'd presume it builds and runs.

These building are as strong as mount taishan

>develop game for Linux
>be stuck endlessly updating it until the end of time or it breaks within 2-3 months
Linux, everyone

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 124K)

Free software means freedom, not price. Also, Linux is a kernel, it doesn't play games.

There is some guy currently making a free (libre) city sim in rust. You can donate to his crowdfunding campaign if you want.
aeplay.org/citybound

>tfw your splines haven't been reticulated in years

>Linux is a kernel

Attached: os.png (668x660, 60K)

Even the most basic bitch games take a week minimum, and that's often working as close to 24/7 as possible. Even then you typically have a prototype at best. You're vastly underestimating the amount of time and effort it actually takes to make a complete game.

underrated comment

Delivered.

Attached: dickbutt.jpg (443x550, 31K)

Stop tempting me to play city builders Jow Forums. I need to focus on masturbating to hentai.

>Chinese entire building game
>foreign invaders come and wreck your shit every few hundred years like clockwork

I am not. Why did you think I am?

nice

kernel.org disagrees

linux is a kernel,
stop using services or websites edited by complete illiterates.

>everything in the dictionary is 100% true and no one who writes it makes any mistakes

fuck

wikipedia until 2012
>linux is a kernel
wikipedia after 2012
>linux is often referred to as an operating system
I swear to god, I will fucken cut those faggots who contribute to _any_ wiki page

>i'm smarter and know better than a dictionary

>he isn't an expert in his field and can't honestly claim that he's smarter and better than a non-technical dictionary

Why would anyone still develop native when it's more sensible to just make a web app? Unless you need performance, a strategy game like Sim City does not require any native implementation at all.

Because screen tearing

Sometimes people don't want to download 500mb of libraries just to display a game

Sometimes people don't want to touch the dumpster fire that is JavaScript

I have better things to do

>insist on a one true meaning of the word when it has several
>i.e.
>linux, as a kernel
>linux, as an operation system with this kernel and a bunch of basic programs which just happening to be made by gnu
>linux, as a linux operation system distribution, i.e. ubuntu, fedora, arch, gentoo

No you don't, otherwise you wouldn't be her

>happen*

there's only one meaning for linux, the rest are just shit that idiots fabricate.

>some sperglord user from Jow Forums thinks he is the authority on how words are used
lol

>look mom i posted it again

You are no better than the trannies that want to be called xir

No one is the authority on words and if someone wants to use Linux and not sperglord GNU/Linux to describe an OS that's perfectly fine and even encouraged

What the fuck is GNU, anyway? It sounds nasty and why would anyone care

It is, but it's still based an old commit from 2015 without any patches to build the package:
github.com/lincity-ng/lincity-ng/commit/3e94c18bf1bf04cc381b71ce12b2073ed388a81d

There's a bug that prevents the game from launching without an existing configuration file ("Initialise all config options", 35ffbacb) as well as a game-breaking overflow bug ("Fix integer overflow in tech_bonus calculation", 1a9e9cde) which are both still present in Debian 10.

Based retard

Or, and see if you can follow this, give it static libraries and point the environment to them.

So you want to distribute binaries and invalidate the whole point of FOSS etc., got it

Attached: elderly man thumbs up car.jpg.838x0_q67_crop-smart.jpg (838x559, 44K)

You should respect people's pronouns, it's rude not to.
Linux is the kernel, using it to describe the OS was a marketing move done by certain businesses that benefitted from the confusion.
GNU is not the only OS that runs on top of Linux, there is also Android, Tizen, Sailfish, and a few others

>You should respect people's pronouns, it's rude not to.
Ok, I identify as a king, and you will adress me as your majesty

AND IF YOU DON'T DO IT YOU'RE A HYPOCRITE WITH DOUBLE STANDARDS

That isn't a pronoun

We'll make it a pronoun then

>The percentage of personal computers is only like 1.5%.

Huh?

Linux distributions hover at around 2% in web statistics among desktop browsers (e.g. according to NetMarketShare) and 0.8–1% among Steam installations according to their HW/SW surveys.

just stop using linux

Respect my part of speech identity

No

What is webgl?

What is webassembly?

Welcome to 2019 guys.

>basketball menu
Is that for crime statistics?

why would you make a game targeted at 2% of the PC install base, and those 2% won't even pay for an OS

>Let's make a game that caters to 10% of the 1% of Linux PC users, and provide complete source code while also asking them to pay for it
Sounds like a great idea Patel

I made a .deb for Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri using the old loki engine. Runs fully native without wine or anything.

and 2% of those 2% play games

store.steampowered.com/app/1084020/TheoTown/
Here's one I found that's on steam.

That's kinda nifty actually

And basically all of the hyperautists willing to play glorified spreadsheet simulators (like me, I fucking love Rule the Waves, and am eagerly awaiting Aurora 2) use Windows. Because all the existing hyperautism games only run on Windows. Aurora 4X (OG Aurora) is coded in Visual Basic.

>Visual Basic
Why

Who is this Jow Forums dude you always talk about?

I can't take credit for it, it was a script I found on the GoG forums that took the SMAC from GoG and combined it with the Loki engine that had been originally used to port SMAC to Linux back in the day.

gog.com/forum/sid_meier_s_alpha_centauri_/enfrlinux_install_alpha_centauri_on_debianubuntumintetc/page1

It's a massive incredibly detailed 4X game where you can literally choose the exact composition of the atmosphere of planets you terraform, you can design starships that fire missiles that fire missiles that have lasers on them, and the entire thing is in VB6 and slow as shit because every single action has to go through a single array that contains literally the entire game state, this is inexplicably stored on the hard drive, the game basically doesn't use RAM

Welcome to weird niche strategy games

Just port it to C# with a MongoDB backend.

Do you actually know about Aurora II or was that a meme

because that's what he's doing
aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=05c5be1bf3a0cb9ed2f412661c1ad502&topic=3011.0

>MongoDB

Attached: 1436641056588.jpg (249x228, 14K)

kek

But it needs to S C A L E

lost

You can play CityState with proton

My dark colored person fella.

>but you already have a million dollar, what's 100k for you