/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1563233820194.jpg (1100x1648, 453K)

Other urls found in this thread:

help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD
ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads
git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/coreutils.git/tree/src/ls.c
github.com/0intro/plan9/blob/master/sys/src/cmd/ls.c
git.suckless.org/sbase/file/ls.c.html
github.com/openbsd/src/blob/master/bin/ls/ls.c
github.com/NetBSD/src/blob/trunk/bin/ls/ls.c
github.com/freebsd/freebsd/blob/master/bin/ls/ls.c
github.com/landley/toybox/blob/master/toys/posix/ls.c
github.com/mirror/busybox/blob/master/coreutils/ls.c
github.com/eunuchs/heirloom-project/blob/master/heirloom/heirloom/ls/ls.c
etalabs.net/erik-perl.txt
cnet.com/news/oracles-ellison-nails-cloud-computing/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#AMD
youtu.be/ZfP4VAK21zc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Thoughts on Arch?

Have it on a partiton.
Might delete later. idk

Reposting my question.

>mini system in UEFI mode

>While the minimal iso image is handy, it isn't useful for installing on UEFI-based systems that you want to run in UEFI mode. The mini iso lacks the proper files for booting the computer in UEFI mode. Thus, the computer will boot in BIOS compatibility mode, and the installation will be in BIOS mode.

My laptop is UEFI. Will Ubuntu mini iso work on my laptop either way?

Trying to get back into /minimalism/

If you need to ask if it's the "right distro for you" install a debian spin as otherwise arch is just going to be a massive learning experience without any actual computer use.

Boot xubuntu/kubuntu/your fav live deb distro if you must have deb and install "arch-install-scripts" into the live environment to get "arch-chroot". Then you have arch-chroot in a live linux environment and can build a minimal root far better than any script with debootstrap. Just remember to rund dpkg-reconfigure on the locales and tzdata packages.

Anyone have experience with NixOS and possibly Fedora Silverblue? I currently have Silverblue installed and like the stability and idea of containerization + immutability, but the reliance on Flatpak is a bit off-putting. Just curious how NixOS is at this point.

Attached: nix-wiki.png (135x117, 8K)

yeah. Fuck ubuntu i guess. Gonna use de bian.

It's fine. I like their "Stay as close to upstream as possible" philosophy, especially compared to something like Debian, and used it for a while myself.
Manual install process is kind of silly in this day and age and the community is incredibly trash regardless of whether you come across the "rtfm" elitists or the underage "upvote my customized-to-uselessness i3 screenshots on reddit dudes!!!" shitters

Also listen to this guy. If you can get past the install process (Which isn't even difficult, just tedious and requires a fair bit of reading unless you've done it before), then you're just going to piss people off and the aforementioned rtfm elitists are going to rightfully shit on you when you ask for help with things that are spelled out in the documentation.
Once the install is done though, pretty much everything complaining about it breaking is FUD and memes from people who never actually used the distro.

Good choice, I would recommend using the xfce live cd and run the installer instead of the live environment. If it's the same as it use to be it's a sneaky little gem of the linux community as is essentially "debian installer but fast because it doesn't let you install debian server". If you don't like XFCE, launch tasksel first run.

It's so mind boggling when a project like Arch comes around with all this "it breaks, it's unstable, it's TOO FAAAST!" and then the dimmies just won't run systemctl to list of their failed units. JUST MY UP

i did this a while ago and tried writing instructions for it
not 100% sure it's correct but
# you'll need:
# - mini.iso -> help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD
# - matching ubuntu server iso -> ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads
# - a usb drive

usbdevice=/dev/sdc
miniiso=~/Downloads/mini.iso
serveriso=~/Downloads/ubuntu-16.04.4-server-amd64.iso

mkfs.vfat -F 32 "$usbdevice"

mkdir /tmp/{usb,miniiso,serveriso}

mount "$usbdevice" /tmp/usb
mount "$miniiso" /tmp/miniiso
mount "$serveriso" /tmp/serveriso

cp -ar /tmp/miniiso/* /tmp/usb
cp -ar /tmp/serveriso/EFI /tmp/usb

umount /tmp/{usb,miniiso,serveriso}
rmdir /tmp/{usb,miniiso,serveriso}

# $usbdevice should now contain the mini iso bootable in uefi mode

Convince me to use your favorite distro

Attached: the_big_question.png (295x221, 93K)

Is it easy fuck up dual booting windows 10 and arch linux? Running UEFI / GPT with windows 10 OS already installed

Please don't use Windows. It's spyware.

It's clean, rock solid, beautiful out of the box, and just werks. I have been a serial distrohopper, but I ended up coming back to elementary OS because it's my favourite.

Attached: elementary-os-5.0-screenshot.jpg (1920x1080, 165K)

Linux can be installed to 16gb flash drives without much worry, arch linux in particular can install to 8gb if you don't want a full fat experience. It's not easy to fuck up but it's not easy to implement under Arch, so the steps involved (wiping disks) can be done to your win install by mistake very easily. Install a modern Debian distro via it's installer script if this is your first Linux distro, take a look at how it does certain things like system management with systemd then try your hand at Arch. It's install is tedious but not hard, but after that you are left in the wide ocean of Linux without a gui and with a lot that can go wrong due to lack of knowledge.

You'll have to read the Arch install guide/wiki and type out a bunch of tedious commands. Instead, you can install Manjaro with the desktop of your choice. Or choose a stable distro based on Ubuntu LTS or Debian stable.

>Is it easy fuck up
sure just pick the wrong partition to install on

Attached: 1563053741387.jpg (473x355, 26K)

Debian has become the defacto target framework for most software development, it's package list is extreme and that's not including the hackery you can perform to get it's descendants software to run in house. And unlike it's descendants who's projects basically *have* to use a single DE for common development reasons its installer lets you pick some common ones but ultimately its built to run any way you want. It's community is onions as all hell so if you want you may wish to visit Ubuntu forums for support but for the most part it's the most foolproof linux I have used. Hence still using it.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1518329282588.png (333x365, 192K)

git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/coreutils.git/tree/src/ls.c

>The binary for the simple ls command is near ~5000 lines of code

What the fuck? Is this a case of legacy shit that no one has bothered rewriting because it werks?

Attached: 1558986383879.png (441x603, 1.02M)

How can I use openssh over two differnet networks?

What's the problem?

legacy, unix tools have to perform exactly the same as they did at the time when working with legacy systems. I remember there was a problem with one of the BSDs cat programs that would kill any linux/nix nfs server running orig nfs.

>binary
>code
>linux/nix
Tech illiterates get out.

It just strikes me as very complex for being such a simple tool. I wonder if these commands will forever stay around or if they'll ever be deprecated by new ones.

>The source code for the simple ls command is near ~5000 lines
Ok pedantic user I corrected myself for you

>tech illiterates
Okay then mr chief of the board, I'm sorry my business ware isn't up to the companies standards.
"Operating systems implementing the then defacto open source implementation of NFSv1, usually a Unix descendant or Linux distribution"
Faggot

github.com/0intro/plan9/blob/master/sys/src/cmd/ls.c 326
git.suckless.org/sbase/file/ls.c.html 489
github.com/openbsd/src/blob/master/bin/ls/ls.c 615
github.com/NetBSD/src/blob/trunk/bin/ls/ls.c 715
github.com/freebsd/freebsd/blob/master/bin/ls/ls.c 1014
they're not all in one file though

github.com/landley/toybox/blob/master/toys/posix/ls.c 584
github.com/mirror/busybox/blob/master/coreutils/ls.c 1260
github.com/eunuchs/heirloom-project/blob/master/heirloom/heirloom/ls/ls.c 1798

for what it’s worth computecanada uses CentOS but you can install packages via nix. So apparently the nix package manager is reliable.

Gnutards BTFO

Containers are a meme for desktop use, if you are serious about linux you will check your running services and rotate logs regularly so the added "security" is a waste of time. If you are running soft services like a VPS or paas then containers are pretty cool.

epro >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>eselect

install plan9port

It's just shit.

Install Gentoo.

Good points m8s

wanted to try out but I don't like their logo.

>rock-solid

Attached: 234534g3.png (9536x6416, 1.07M)

>recently upgrade from Stretch to Buster (Debian 9 -> 10, LXDE desktop)
I thought I had a pure LXDE desktop, but FIrefox opens PCManFM-Qt for default... Qt? It seems that I have a mess between LXDE and LXQt from upgrading.
>I don't have lxqt metapackage installed, but some lxqt package appears installed (configuration, notification, policykit, etc.)
>lxde and lxde-core are installed
I don't have the option to a "fresh" install.
So, what do you recommend? Should I try to "clean", and leave a LXDE desktop, as if it were a new installation? How?
Or should I switch to LXQt? How?

Attached: 1563190883079.jpg (394x394, 48K)

LXDE is migrating to LXQt.
LXDE was never meant to use gtk/qt the way it does - it was almost meant to be a self contained alternative but then both Qt and GTK did heavy lifting that no one else is willing to go through again like webframeworks and the like so they picked Qt in like 2015 or something and have just been targeting that under the LXQt name since.

Retard

Happy you enjoy my Murray

Attached: 1538263702809.jpg (322x519, 32K)

etalabs.net/erik-perl.txt

>that's why, if you learn Lisp and become a good programmer, you will never want to do what people do with perl.
Is this guy right?

Attached: 1560795729571.jpg (500x406, 18K)

This is highly opinionated and holds no technical merit in it's critique of perl, only stating that people who write in perl are idiots for writing in perl and therefore that perl is for idiots because idiots write in perl. High qualification buffoonery. Perl is trash though. Use C if your constrained or Java if you need an "applet".

You need to set up port forwarding an the server-side network. Then connect using the servers public ip.

>it's not that perl programmers are idiots, it's that the language rewards idiotic behavior in a way that no other language or tool has ever done, and on top of it, it punishes conscientiousness and quality craftsmanship -- put simply: you can commit any dirty hack in a few minutes in perl, but you can't write an elegant, maintainabale program that becomes an asset to both you and your employer; you can make something work, but you can't really figure out its complete set of failure modes and conditions of failure. (how do you tell when a regexp has a false positive match?)

He pretty explicitly said people who write in perl are not idiots

What is it about C and C++ that makes people say the former is "beautiful" and the latter is "ugly"? What exactly does ++ do to C that endows it with omnipotence but curses it with hideousness?

I realize this isn't a GNU/Linux specific inquiry, but still.

shut up and learn lisp
also install gentoo

So thats why he spends the whole rant talking about them being braindamaged.
Again, come to me with actual technical problems with perl and how that feeds into how people write perl. Don't say it "rewards idiotic behavior" and then say that because there's idiotic behavior is must be promoted in perl. Again he's not entirely wrong, he's just waffling over shitty co-workers mostly. For example: "Perl has shitty regrexes that are super science to understand and implement properly, this results in very very smart people doing stupid shit like perl regrex in a web application." summed up his entire waste of typing time with actual technical reasons.
Even though I fucking hate perl I kind want to get back into it now.

>Unix-like os
>has a C++ compiler
>muh Unix philosophy

Attached: ayyayy.png (409x362, 260K)

Who are you quoting?

these are not quotes

Templates.

Please elaborate

yes they are quotes faggot

I was quoting your butt buddy.

pedo

Attached: 1562771277135.png (2244x1700, 3.41M)

cnet.com/news/oracles-ellison-nails-cloud-computing/
>CEO Larry Ellison says the computer industry is more fashion-driven than women's fashion

What the hell is HE doing with THEM?

you should post this in the desktop thread

What does Larry Ellison know about computers?

the new os, GNU/Linux/Hurd Guixnix Archentoobian

What is the proper way to write a multi-line comment in a shell script?

I've seen both

If I have an AMD GPU, then apparently there is open source amdgpu and proprietary Radeon software, both installed at the same time. I'm told amdgpu pro is the proprietary driver, which I don't have, I have Mesa.

I'm also told I should turn Radeon off and use amdgpu, why is this? How to I turn Radeon driver off? If it is proprietary, then how come I don't see it in the list of proprietary drivers in Driver Manager?

How do i get chromium to stop switching tabs when i scroll the mouse wheel?

yo nigger net iso debian
schizo cunt

who's the geriatric boomer?

How is MX Linux, compared to something like Manjaro or Mint? Beginner here, these three look appealing as distros.

How accurate are these comments from pic related?

Attached: The case for Arch Linux.png (1436x665, 119K)

>Zoomer needs to see Groundhog Day

>A
Not even close to FreeBSD's. It's literally a demon.

amdgpu is the newer amd driver.
radeon is older and opensource too
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#AMD
modprobe is usually how you blacklist drivers

don't scroll on the tabs?

bill murray

Attached: 1563061219104.jpg (540x540, 49K)

Not every language has them.

>Not even close to FreeBSD's. It's literally a demon.
Say what you like about fbsd, but you've got to admit it has the coolest logo and mascot of all free operating systems.

>A
it's an arrowhead, with some unrealistic looking notches

lets say I just finished installing debian minimal install.

Can i install pacakges using dpkg??

Sure, why not

youtu.be/ZfP4VAK21zc

have you done this before user? thanks for replying!!!

yes

sudo dpkg -i filename.deb

warning: some debs can cause system instability

if you get errors about dependencies after installing a deb, try

sudo apt -f install

It should fix the dependencies.

nice pic an0n I love SNSD

Attached: snsd_boys_sfsldkj34r32.jpg (1633x1106, 474K)

I got work in the morning. You think i should install right now? im high too desu

I've installed arch Linux on my kinkpad but installing network manager would not work. Everything else I installed during the installation process downloaded without an issue, but networkmanager would always end up trying to download from a mirror sight ad infinitum. When I plug it in via ethernet the light just blinks orange and I have no connection.

How do I unfuck this? Please help I'm retarded.

Attached: 1562206488091.png (1032x605, 940K)

use wifi-menu and netctl in the meantime?
edit your mirrorlist?

Attached: 1563028270582.jpg (235x215, 9K)

Use a different mirror and -Syy

WiFi menu does not work with out dialogs. I have netctl installed though. Can I connect to my wifi that way? If that's the case then I'll be pretty upset about how stupid I am.

I'll try this. Thank you fren.

Attached: content_plain-magazine-congo-dandies-01.jpg (720x540, 121K)

>Can I connect to my wifi that way?
yes there's many ways. you could also connect with ip, wpa_supplicant, and dhcpcd
wifi-menu makes it easy though. try to install dialog first

Kinkpad

Why is Qt so much better than GTK?

Are you running dhcpcd for the ethernet?

me, I'm a FLTK guy

How quickly can you get Debian 10 to boot without making things break?

best distro for drunk people

C is simple. Simplicity is generally associated with beauty.
C++ is big. It has a lot of powerful features at the cost of complexity. Complexity is associated with ugliness.
On the other hand, you could say that the C++ standard library will simplify your code and that the OOP will make things much cleaner etc.

How's the touchscreen situation on Linux? I want to get HP Envy x360 and put some Linux on it but is GNOME seriously my only option? It sucks.

So far all I've done is disable the wait for network thing and remove the bootloader delay
I get about 23 seconds from pressing the button to typing in my password and ending up on the desktop

C? B, now that was the language.

MX Linux is Debian plus a configured XFCE desktop.
Mint is Ubuntu plus a custom Cinnamon desktop.
Manjaro is user-friendly Arch.