Vintage cellphones

>own a rare Nokia N92

>suddenly China dumps over 50 "brand new condition" N92's on eBay for a ridiculously cheap price

>the value of my N92 drops to nothing

I remember when these used to go for $500, if you could even find one. Now it's a hundred bucks thanks to China.
But there has to be something else to it. Nobody has 50 of these just lying around.

Attached: ebay4.jpg (2256x2096, 1.07M)

Was wanting to buy a 5630 but im not sure of what the condition of these china reconditioned ones would be like

literally nothing more than someone found a box of 50 of them in a warehouse. old technology pricing is weird because there is no demand for it and the supply generally overestimates the demand, but most people do not consider old technology to be something other people would pay a premium for, so they go largely ignored until someone who knows how much another nerd will pay for it hocks it on ebay. very few people are willing to pay for it so they end up not bothering to list them which ends up raising the price even more, a classic catch-22

LGR did a video on a massive vintage computer warehouse with possibly millions of potential dollars in obscure and very old technology but nobody is gonna want to dig through that stuff even though it might sell for a lot because the buyers are really infrequent. boxes and boxes of new old stock that aren't readily avaliable on ebay but its as much to do with rarity as lack of potential buyers

Those phone recycle boxes that you find at your local grocery store, the companies behind them most likely just ship it over to China to deal with.
The chinese go through the garbage and sells those old phones to hipsters.
Strange parts did a video where there are market stalls all over china selling scrapped iPhone housings and all misc parts and some become refurbished with the mishmash of parts.

thats still expensive for old garbage. you cant even get apps to those anymore and they have to be signed anyway so it wont help even if you can somehow get them

I remember modifying some system files on my N95 so it would install everything, signed or not. Also when a certificate was expired you could just set the date back a year or so, install and then just put the date back to today. Those were the days...

Consumer goods are not an investment

>oh no someone found a trash heap of all the "vintage" (shit) phones I've been pretending to be superior for pretending to use for the last decade how do I be a hipster now?
spend $800 on earthbound and go to /vr/

Hmm...

Attached: Screenshot_20190716_163501.jpg (1080x1687, 179K)

Funny to think back and remember Nokia didn't make a single phone even in same ballpark as iPhone. Before iPhone everything was crude garbage.

People like to pretend it wasn't true, but shit like the LG Prada people bring out were absolute garbage

Man, I remember just a year before the first iPhone came out, the Nokia XpressMusic phones were the coolest ones in the market, and now I can get one for £20. How times have changed

Attached: 2B8A9603-7449-41B0-94E0-5675DF4CD87D.jpg (2048x1407, 978K)

i have a n85 (pic related) that i have used as a backup phone. Too bad there's no support anymore for gmail and whatsapp
i love this little shit.

Attached: celular-nokia-n85-em-otimo-estado-com-garantia-D_NQ_NP_929582-MLB29667952375_032019-Q.jpg (284x238, 19K)

I could kill for a brand new n93i or 8800 arte at a reasonable price.

This is my kind of thread. I used to collect mobile phones years ago. Here's a picture of my current 3410. Was considering doing the blue backlight mod to it, but the green is just less harsh on the eyes.

Despite them not being quite as rugged feeling as the 3310, they're fucking way nicer to text on, and they just felt like a better phone all-round to me. I was never a big fan of the long arrow buttons on that phone. Felt fucking awful to use, but this one just feels perfect.

I want to go back brehs.

Attached: Untitled.png (1600x1200, 1.81M)

would like to own one of those cellphones but i don't really know which one to buy
i'm tired of my useless smartphone shit

scampers btfo

if you don't pay $800 you won't be able to join any online club
just like how you won't be a "true owner" of an N92 if you buy one of the cheap ones

i too wish to go back to days where a phone wouldn't commit suicide at any given chance. likewise, i see little point in getting a feature phone when a 4G smartphone goes for £50.

Attached: nokia_3510i-500x500.jpg (500x500, 40K)

I had one like theses.

Attached: Nokia_8910_black_DCV-4.jpg (667x1000, 116K)

>buy a fuckton of cheap >5 yo technology
>wait a few years
>sell it as "collector" item more than what you bought it, but for way less than your competition
>goof everyone in the (((collectors))) market

>just like how you won't be a "true owner" of an N92 if you buy one of the cheap ones
keep coping OP

>old garbage. you cant even get apps to those anymore

That's why I want them.
I hate the Internet and apps. I want 2003 back.

Why isn't anyone addressing the fact that the cheap N92's are refurbished versions?

Original >>> China refurbished

Means the Chinese phones literally have 3d printed covers on, not made by Nokia. And nobody knows what tech they have inside. Many refurbished phones are water damaged.

Attached: lost.png (492x554, 123K)

I always wanted a X6 or a C6, hopefully I can get one for cheap.
Or this too.

Wut, I bought one in 2015~ for 35 yuros. They were never that rare.

>But there has to be something else to it. Nobody has 50 of these just lying around.
Someone discovered a bunch in a storage space.
This happens all the time, NIB computers from the 80's are even released from time to time for cheap since someone found 5000 in some warehouse.

>vintage
>posts shit from 2006
Come back with some actually rare mid 90's phones.

I've actually sold two N92 phones for over 200 euros in 2018. That was a year ago.

And age doesn't make something valuable, user. I have Nokia 101, the first actual fucking cellphone Nokia put out. It's literally worth nothing. It's just a big brick that nobody can use. Vintage phone collectors want something from early 2000's when Nokia experimented with lots of cool features. N92 is the ultimate experimental media phone. Had a huge screen for the time, could play mp3's through speakers (this was rad for the time), had a frontal camera for selfies (again, ahead of its time), could play television, browse the Internet.. the list goes on. The N92 is the ultimate retro skateboard hipster phone that you can still carry in your pocket and make phone calls with even today.

I have a box full of Nokias from different time periods and no idea what to do with them. They fetch like 20 bucks per unit at best so I'm not interested in selling.
I sold my iPhone 2G for $125 and regret it, was probably the most hipster phone I had.
My second coolest phone in pic, never seen one like it, not even on Google search.

Attached: mainpic.jpg (4211x2800, 690K)

>boomer angry that his "investment" isn't paying off like hie expected it to

>N92 is the ultimate experimental media phone.
That was the N900. It had everything from IrDA, FM transmitter to a stand and stereo speakers.

>could play mp3's through speakers (this was rad for the time)
This is how you spot a zoomer. There were other phones that did that and had done it before, even by Nokia themselves. Same with television (actual analog), internet, rotatable cameras, etc.

So did a Sony Ericsson for example, they even had selfie modes for their cameras, played MP3s, had HTTP browsers, YEARS before the N92 came out
You never experienced the period first hand, did you?

>could play mp3's through speakers (this was rad for the time), had a frontal camera for selfies (again, ahead of its time)
Wrong and wrong. Holy shit.

The only Nokia phones worth anything these days are all protos. Pic related.

Attached: Nokia_N950.jpg (1496x1315, 144K)

>caring about the resale value of fucking phones

N92 could play a cool futuristic sound when you closed and opened the screen.
Literally my favorite thing in the entire phone world.