Why didn't Blu-ray kill DVD? Are there that many retarded boomers with CRT TVs who still watch content in SD...

Why didn't Blu-ray kill DVD? Are there that many retarded boomers with CRT TVs who still watch content in SD? What's the point in still making DVDs that deliver MPEG-2 coded 480p video in the age of 4K?

Attached: 11491b.jpg (600x600, 39K)

because no one uses physical discs anymore.

Attached: .jpg (387x269, 60K)

Optical media is the ultimate pleb filter

except every single one of roughty 120 million current gen consoles.

they immediately download 5-25-50gb patches, the discs have fuck all on them.

it was too expensive and there were still too many DVD discs in the shelves

dvd killed vhs fast because it was better in every way. cheaper, simpler, better.
blu-ray is only higher quality, but it's more expensive.

It's because normalfags don't think there's a big difference between DVD and Blu-Ray quality. It's hard to believe, I know, but it's true.

Optical storage is obsolete.

Begone, streaming shills

Compression got to the point where any singular project doesn't need much more than a single DVD and if it does it's a professional film project or must be compatible with a video game console.

internet streaming killed them both
bluray didn't get a chance to take off

cope

Because instead of replacing DVDs they decided to sell both to keep Blurays more expensive

"Cope": the zoomer lexicon for when you have no argument but are too stupid to simply give up.

I don't need an argument, you need reading comprehension.

>streaming
>in regards to install method
ok brainlet

>Optical media is the ultimate pleb filter
>Optical storage is obsolete.

imagine being this much of a faggit

Cope
t.31 year old boomer

Optical was always a shit stopgap because magnetic and flash were immature/too expensive. Its limitations also encouraged the current SaaS bullshit we have today.

Because blu-ray came out at the same time as hard drives started getting larger in size and internet speeds were getting better too. Why bother getting a bluray disc (probably costing more and also for a movie I already have the DVD of, mind you) when I can just torrent a 1080p rip instead?

And also everything I said about pirating/downloading also applies to netflix, for the normalfags who actually pay for that shit.

>Optical was always a shit stopgap
wrong
there are lots of use cases where optical media is ideal.

Like?

Backups

What would I use a Blu-ray for?

It did

Attached: 51mn75SmfJL._SX342_.jpg (342x435, 33K)

I work in a hospital and you would shocked how many mexican thots still buy regular DVDs.

Attached: 1563130747458.png (520x315, 190K)

Attached: 4L_GDcpwIyz.gif (400x279, 1.78M)

>Why didn't Blu-ray kill DVD?

Because people didn't want to go out and pay even more money for yet another damned optical drive device and then re-buy all their DVDs over again just to see a movie or TV show or whatever in a higher resolution.

I purchased a few hundred DVDs in my lifetime, and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay more money for the same fucking movies on some new form of media that requires me to buy yet another optical drive just because it's a higher resolution - they're all made from the original master footage so fuck that.

Also: I don't really need to see nose hairs at super high resolution, really.

Only a few movies actually benefit from super high resolutions, like CHAPPiE, District 9, and some others that actually have incredible levels of detail in the original master footage to begin with.

If it's just some transfer from the same masters used long ago, forget it.

>Like?
>Backups
Archival, distribution, offline, security (air gapped systems)
i'm sure there are more

>Gramophone
>Victrola
>78's
>45's
>LP's
>8 Track's
>Cassette tapes
>CD's
>MP3's
Let me just replace my entire music collection every few years like the obedient consumer that I am.
Or just stream everything.

And Blu-ray video quality isn't even that good, so it won't be the last format.

All of those are better served with USB drives or the internet.

Nobody is telling you to re-buy shows and movies you already own, you utopian retard.
You're supposed to buy the blu-ray versions of new shows and new movies.

Blu-Ray players are backwards compatible and will play DVDs.

Replaced by streaming before DVDs were considered low quality by the masses. BR is still convenient for cold storage but that's of course never largely adopted.

I concede for personal backups, but for serious archiving magnetic tape is superior just due to sheer storage density

Because streaming came out at around the same time and killed both of them.

Most people don't buy movies anyway. Even during the golden age of physical media the majority of the people just rented. By the time BD had become mainstream streaming was already a thing.

ITT: bluray jews trying to clear their old stocks of obsolete DRMd plastic discs.

>All of those are better served with USB drives or the internet.
>internet
its's like you don't even read

archival you dont want a writable media
distribution you want something flat that can be mailed in small envelopes
security you probably want to limit writability

>distribution you want something flat that can be mailed in small envelopes
What kind of 3rd world shithole do you live in that it doesn't have internet?

>serious archiving
>magnetic media
lol
no way. last thing you want is for your copy to get fucked due to some electromagnetic fields that you didnt know about

what kind of dumbass are you that you dont understand what a secure air gapped system is?

He's right, you dumbass. Magnetic tape is used for long term archiving

It was more expensive and flash storage and portable HDDs started to be cheap enough and were more convenient.

I guess every major datacenter must be retarded then

are you being serious right now?

Attached: TapeLibraryInside800.jpg (800x533, 120K)

Too many poorfags? One of my sisters married into money and regularly buys blurays for her kids. Everyone else I know buys dvds because "it's basically the same thing."

DVD-Rs are affordable and a useful size for storing personal files every now and then. Rarely do normal people have 50 GB of files to back up or store at a time.

Those still have USB, retard.
You still haven't explained why you would mail shit in envelopes. Stop moving goal posts, you're just embarrassing yourself. Optical media is obsolete, deal with it.

>every major datacenter must be retarded then
they are
because they are trading the reliability yet lower capacity of optical media for the convenience of moderately higher capacity tape.
also, they think of archives as a 10 year endeavor, not a 100 year endeavor.
within that constraint, tape is tolerable

Because DVD provides "good enough" quality for most people so consumers weren't racing out to upgrade; and BD costs slightly more to produce so the content producers weren't simply going to replace DVD since that would gain them nothing, so they priced DVDs that cost a penny to make down where the masses would buy a ton and then charged a solid premium for a BD that costs a few pennies more, so BDs ended up costing way more than the format/content called for and was underwhelming.

BD were made for millennials. Millennials didn't buy BD because we moved to Flash storage/HDD/SSD/digital content. Now all that's left is older DVD for the Gen X and VHS for boomers.

>last thing you want is for your copy to get fucked due to some electromagnetic fields that you didnt know about

Attached: 171.jpg (613x533, 33K)

'cause the average Blu-ray cost at much as a Usenet or Netflix subscription. Not to mention you have to buy another fucking device to play them.

Blu-Ray is DRM hell. Fuck them, I will never support it.

Pretty much this.
I don't know anyone who buys movies anymore. Most people download them for free, some pay for streaming services.
DVD came out before the internet, that's why it was more popular.

>DVD came out before the internet
kek, before it was reasonable to download movies from the internet, anyway

I'm using Xbox sad edition there's no cd drive

Netflix happened, Blu-ray/players being way more expensive than DVDs happened.

It did though. DVD sales are absolute shit compared to Bluray. Streaming is arse in terms of quality and relative economic impact compared to blu rays as well, anyone who cares about the environment will tell streaming to fuck off until it becomes far more efficient.

I haven't even seen disc media of any kind for over a decade now. I haven't owned a computer or device that has a drive that could take one. Everything is either internal or USB attached right now. A friend of mine has an old truck that has a CD player in it (it doesn't even have a USB port!!!!), but all he uses it for is to hold his toll bridge card.

>DVD sales are absolute shit compared to Bluray.
Are you sure about that?

Attached: Webresearch-033019-04C-e1554842981121.jpg (600x350, 50K)

bad timing (= useless for most shit), high price (= till this day lol), much better alternatives

Last year

Attached: Webresearch-012718-02B-1024x597.jpg (1024x597, 102K)

It's expensive and people just stream nowadays.

BDs are great for cold storage. In the age of mass YouTube censorship, I'm thinking about archiving a ton of channels I like with them.

>US stats
USA is always slow on new media uptake. Where I live (Japan) it's more like 80% blu-ray, 20% DVD.

wait, they still make commercial dvd's?

Good, but Japan doesn't represent the world. And Sony is fucking japanese, of course their marketing have much more impact there.

US doesn't represent the world either, though.

Yes. And they are like 1/4 the Blu-ray price.

I'm not even American but I can confirm this is what happens. I rarely see people buying Blu-ray, actually I rarely see people buying optical media anymore, but when they buy it's usually DVD. US represents the western world, like you or not.

well that alone pretty much explains it
personally i was excited about bluray back in 2005 before it came out, but then i got broadband in 2006...
to this day i've never owned a bluray drive, or even touched a bluray disc, though i've downloaded plenty of bluray rips and remuxes
faster internet speeds and larger hdd's just completely supplanted optical discs for me, despite using cds and dvds heavily before that point

everyone i know does the same (downloads, or at least streams shit), many people don't even have a standalone dvd/bluray player connected to their tv anymore, and i'm genuinely surprised they're selling movies on dvd at all anymore, considering they likely cost nearly the same to produce

You are right, only about half the world.

This, but it wasn't just this on its own. It was this happening at the same time as everyone found out about torrents, internet speeds getting better, netflix coming out, harddrives were getting bigger, etc. Why bother spending like 30 bucks on a bluray of a movie I already own when I can just download the 1080p rip on piratebay?

>to this day i've never owned a bluray drive, or even touched a bluray disc, though i've downloaded plenty of bluray rips and remuxes
>faster internet speeds and larger hdd's just completely supplanted optical discs for me, despite using cds and dvds heavily before that point
This. The only bluray discs I ever touched were games. Everything else I just downloaded.

I would've been inclinded to use blurays for storge backup, but blank blurays are too expensive, as are bluray burners. And for what? 5x the storage of DVDs?

DVDs are dirt cheap, you can find DVD burner drives everywhere, and everyone has a DVD reader somewhere in their house somewhere. Even if I did bother buying a bluray burner and discs, I'd still potentially be cucked just because I might bring that bluray somewhere, and nobody will even have a bluray drive to get the data off anyway.
Might as well just back up to DVDs still. Yeah, for certain things it might be like back in the day with half a dozen floppies of your backed-up whatever, but it still beats the pain in the ass of dealing with blurays.

DVD competition was basically VHS that was simply inferior and was about the same price. Now compare with Bluray, and don't forget the fact it's still expensive to this day.

Why is bluray shit so high? I was considering getting a drive for shits in giggles in my new build, but I took a look at prices for drives, discs, and movies, and shit is ridiculous. You'd think they'd learn after more than a decade that nobody is going to pay those fucking prices outside. Only places I've ever even bought BDs are at flea markets.

I use Blu-ray and UHD blu-ray all the time. I spent $110 on a UHD capable drive. After some voodoo, I managed to roll back the firmware to be able to rip all 4K blu-rays now.

I wish every blu ray I put in my external Blu Ray drive worked :(

Because blank Blu-ray discs are expensive as shit.

50 100GB discs costs £90 here in the UK and those are the cheapest (and they're only that cheap because they're old Verbatim stock that is like a decade old).

Burners aren't cheap either: £60 for an internal SATA burner and about £80 for an external USB burner.

>be british
>complain about shit costing too much
Found your problem, you tea snorting faggot

video games are like 200gb these days + constant dlc/new content/patches released so disc maybe has 1/3 of the data in it and you have to download the rest

the jump from tapes to optical discs was a lot bigger and blu ray was also a lot less simple and intercompatible than dvd

a first gen blu ray player might not play a given blu-ray whereas my ps2 will play pretty much every dvd

also dvds were useful as cheap storage and transport when it was unreasonable to assume people would have more than a few gigs of usb flash memory on hand, but now 80 gigs on an optical disk just seems inconvenient

I'm really curious what's going to happen to consolecucks after microsoft/sony stop supporting xbone/ps4 and shut down those servers. With all previous generations, you could start up a console and insert a game and play it. Sure, 7th gen had updates and DLC, but the games could still be played vanilla.
But with these current games, once those consoles stop being supported in a decade, they're nothing but paperweights, even for people who only bought "physical" games

also optical drives became less sought after due to streaming services, so they stopped putting optical drives in things, so the demand for the hardware went down, which raised prices, and so blu ray never left the prosumer space

Blu-ray is old media, though.

prices are bad over here in the US too. 50gb dual-layer BDs are almost 2 dollars a disc. Fuck that.

CDs have been the gold standard for like 37 years now. Ripping CDs to MP3s was basically always easy, and putting CDs onto any modern computing device is still pretty damn easy.

people are going to initially just handwave it away in excitement for the next gen but its going to leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth and its probably going to be a source of lasting bitterness that people bring up when they realize they can still use their ps3 just fine

but at the same time look at apple devices and what happens during their lifetime, if they don't die a sudden death from an engineering failure then they slowly turn into expensive paperweights when they get obsoleted for arbitrary reasons.

Yeah, archiving basically entails migration every 10 years

CDs and DVDs I burned in the late 2000s hardly read any more

Any "warm" storage medium would be replaced long before the ten-year mark

>anyone who cares about the environment will tell streaming to fuck off until it becomes far more efficient.
What

>CDs and DVDs I burned in the late 2000s hardly read any more
that's because you didn't use M-disc discs or burner. M-disc is rated for up to 1000 years.

Sure, but appledrones are a advanced form of fanboy. The only equivalent I see to that in video gaming is nintendo fanboys who will buy literally anything so long as its got mario or zelda slapped on it. And to be fair, nintendo this gen seems to be the only ones making their consoles not reliant on an internet connection for required patches.
And also, like you said, apple plans their shit out in an insidious manner where they purposefully want their tech to die in a couple years to force an upgrade. And applefags don't even realize a fast-one is being pulled on them when their old tech is working slowly, they don't know about planned obsolescence

But I don't think that will go over so well with even your standard normalfags gaming on PS4s/xbones.

gonna watch this kino tonight, in full 1080p. streamlets don’t know what they’re missing, they’re stuck on vhs quality

Attached: EB32E051-B07F-41B2-968A-81C8A97A1021.jpg (3264x2448, 1.19M)

>and relative economic impact
literally nobody is thinking about "environemental impact" when they watch talmudvision, retard.

onlive went down and anyone who had one and bought games got fucked. Im gonna bet my mom same thing will happen to google stevia or what the fuck its called in two-four years like with all lesser-used google services that google gets bored of. Also similar thing happened recently with microsofts ebook service too.

Actually I'm wrong: it's 50GB discs that cost £90, the 100GB discs cost even more.

Have you ever tried using a Blu Ray disc?
>this disc has