What is the optimal set top box for TV?

What is the optimal set top box for TV?

Attached: media-streaming.jpg (1651x1140, 483K)

>tv
>current year
lmao

literally this. get control of your life op.

everything is so souless now

if the xbox was green it would be aswesome, but normies would not consider it modern

Shield is objectively best.

I don't understand why most of these dumbshit companies don't include play/pause and rewind buttons on their remotes though. They're a huge quality of life improvement over the shitty on-screen UI for programs like Kodi.

Have sex.

Roku

Have heterosexual sex.

Xbox X without a doubt.

4k streaming, 4k bluray player with Atmos and 4k gaming...

>gaming
Idiot.

Roku

Odroid N2 with coreelec.

unironically. even a modded xbox classic is better than this

that was fast

Attached: 58858241.jpg (500x399, 146K)

>Xbox X
Moron

found the 12yo

I'd like lineageos box, but i don't think those exist besides the shield

How important is frame rate switching on these things?

This.
Literal tank passive heatsink.

Extremely.

I don't get it. What else will you use when you want to sit on the couch and watch a movie with your family and friends?

Unironically nvidia shield
>can 4k
>can 10-bit
>can run kodi
>can run all android tv / fire tv apps
>can gamestream if you're into that
a single-board computer like is the next best
I've read bad things about the mi box, but it's an android tv box so make the best out of it like an nvidia shield if you get one
next in line is a fire tv, but you have to deal with amazon bloat/botnet. it can still run kodi so that's also good
literally anything that can run kodi/kodi forks is good
don't ever buy roku unless you need to teach tech illiterate relatives/friends on how to cord cut, roku is one of the easiest to learn, UI is simple. the amount of analytics/ads it floods your network with though is abysmal, after adblocking with pihole even loading apps on roku was noticeably faster
ps4/xbox one get the slowest updates to any cordcutting apps, but if you don't notice that then it's fine
I don't know the apple tv ecosystem enough to care but I'm sure it gets great support for your standard apps and runs smooth

I used to be really fond of Amazon Fire TV devices. When I get back to the US I think I will sell mine though. I like cheap chink amlogic boxes much more now. Put CoreELEC on them and they are perfect, at least for my needs. The only people they wouldn't work well for are anime fans.

Hijacking thread to ask, how well does CoreELEC run on a Pi 3 Model B?
I have one sitting around since I moved what I was doing on it to dedicated server hardware. I was thinking of using it for animu / other tv shows / movies sitting on my NAS

any Cast capable device like chromecasts or shield TV.

hurr durr tv bad because popular

LibreELEC would be a better choice and it runs perfectly fine in my experience. Anime is where it will struggle because of the lack of 8bit h264 support. You'll need to be mindful of what you download and that will limit you to specific encodes.

Are you sure?

Yes, CoreELEC is for amlogic devices so there isn't support for the Raspberry Pi as far as I know. I've used LibreELEC on mine before though and it works great. The anime shit is going to be your main problem. There's a crack out and about on google if you need mpeg 2 support. The issue with 8bit encodes is a problem for pretty much any device that uses hardware decoding to play back h264 video. A device with a powerful enough CPU for decoding, possibly a Shield TV (not entirely sure about that) or a dedicated HTPC with a x64 processor would be a much better choice if it's important to you.

Thinkpad X230 + wireless keyboard

>I've read bad things about the mi box
Bad things like what?

>The only people they wouldn't work well for are anime fans.
Why exactly?

maybe the design decision is based around wanting consumers to use the voice function

>Why exactly?
>Anime is where it will struggle because of the lack of 8bit h264 support.
This applies for any device with hardware accelerated decoding and a CPU that isn't powerful enough to do the work instead. My other posts were about the Raspberry Pi but the same thing applies.

>maybe the design decision is based around wanting consumers to use the voice function
>"Hey Google, rewind"
>"Hey Google, pause"
>as opposed to just having a fucking button

Unironically Apple TV 4K has the best remote and best UI out of all.

>no pause and rewind
>"best remote"
Idiot.

It has pause. And you rewind using the touch portion of the remote, much more control than a button.

>touch controls
>better than actual buttons
Retard.

The touchpad is an actual clickable button as well. Pausing a video you can immediately scan with the touchpad, click and it plays from there. The UI and controls are simply superior to any conventional button remotes. Go out and try one, you will definitely like it.

>Popular
Is the current year 2005

The shield, but the remote kinda sucks

/thread

Op is indeed a fag

Can any of those run mpv? Mkv with h265/hvec?

>Can any of those run mpv?
lol no
>Mkv with h265/hvec?
yes, higher end mainstream devices and low end chinkshit can do it

I'm not buying your overpriced Apple garbage, idiot.

Lol I'm not selling you my stuff, I like having it

HTPC