/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600 - Good gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>R7 3700X - Overkill gaming CPU (9900K for spendthrifts)
>R7 1700X - Budget video editing
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks

RAM:
>Do not use a single DIMM. 2 sticks ONLY for a typical dual channel CPU
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 3200CL16 or Micron E-die ("AES" in code) recommended
>AMD B & X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP
>B-die is EOL, stocks are limited

GPUs based on current pricing:
1080p
>RX 570/580 8GB - Can be found on sale for cheap. Look for 570s which are >1240MHz boost
>GTX 1660 - higher fps / more demanding games
>RX 5700 - even higher FPS
1440p
>RX 5700 - basic
>RX 5700XT - standard
>RTX 2070 Super - higher framerates in SOME games
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2070S OC - budget option. Turing performance scales better into 4K than Navi does.
>2080Ti - best for 4K but expensive

>Navi AIB models come mid-August. 5700 blower is alright, due to low power.

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Yes, adaptive sync (free/g/sync) is important
>SSD Guide (250GB+ SATA bare minimums): i.imgur.com/79MYtoE.png
>NVMe isn't better than SATA SSD for gaming
>"Bottleneck checker" sites don't work
>Don't use Speccy
>AM4 VRMs + Monitors under "more"

more: rentry.co/pcbg-more
prev

Attached: 2019_04-21_32v64bitWidth.png (1925x1529, 115K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/y_OgK_fUoH0?t=570
pccomponentes.pt/msi-mpg-x570-gaming-edge-wi-fi
pccomponentes.pt/cooler-master-masterliquid-ml240l-rgb
tomshardware.com/news/amd-radeon-5700-xt-overclocked,39916.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

2070S in stock when?

WHERE THE FUCK IS THE ROG STRIX X570-I GAMING

Attached: ENDLESS TRASH.jpg (920x717, 79K)

Is 1440p a meme? What about 2160p? I went to a computer market and checked a couple of 1440p monitors and honestly couldn't tell they were higher resolution. Add to that the need for an expensive graphics card for high frames and, well, it doesn't seem sensible. Anyone had this same experience? Is 4k better maybe? Do some people just not have the eyes for high resolution?

so when my 3700x arrives should I clean the paste on it or is it good enough ? I have some arctix mx-4 dunno if it's better. Also I heard some horror story about the paste getting literally cemented on amd CPU and people who basically rip-off the cpu from his slot trying to take out the cooler

No, they are better. 4k is a meme in the sense that it has far higher GPU demands for far lower framerate returns than 1080 or 1440p, but you can get 60fps with a 2080ti fairly reliably.
I know what you mean about not being able to tell the difference from store displays though.

2160p not a meme for office work. For gaming, prices on graphics cards are too restrictive to make it worthwhile.

I have a 2k monitor
Should I get the 3600 or the 3700?

Whats the deal with curved monitors?

But if you can't tell in-store then doesn't that mean the perceived benefit after buying could just be a placebo?

No. You'll be able to examine the product in detail in the same use space and case as your old monitor and see if it makes the difference.

Above 1080p it's GPU that makes more difference. Stick with the 2700

Who else #teambetatest?

There's no paste pre-applied. The difference between decent paste varieties is pretty marginal so use whatever.

How likely is for that to be a scam?
>100% positive ratings

Attached: a.png (1184x588, 92K)

4k is only viable for consoles. For PC's it requires too much money investment.

Helps my br0s, which mobo and ram should I get? And recommend me a monitor if you know something about them.

Remove some of it at least, the stock cooler has way too much applied and it'll go everywhere.

Hmm, ok. Still seems like kind of a leap of faith though.

Like a 78%, but you will get your money back, I'm a 10 billion percent secure about that. Fuck anime.

I want to buy a gpu for 1440p 144hz. How big of an improvement will the 2080S be over the 2070S or 5700XT and will it be worth the 700+€ it will cost?

Going to probably buy r5 3600 + 5700 + 3200Mhz cl14 ram. It seems like all the good x470 boards cost way over 100 dollars. So why not just get x570 200 dollars board that are good for their price (aorus elite, tuf) and more future proof? My current build is over 6 years old.

Also, any idea on when ddr5 is dropping? Just thinking if that makes future proofing now nonsense.

Attached: ryzen-3600-1.jpg&sp=b615a41cb37a24e014370e88ba3b2fe0&anticache=572763.jpg (1920x1080, 95K)

Tell me lads, recently I sanded down my heatsink in order to create an elevated area for the HBM and a lower area for the chip.
After all was said and done, the temps went down for both, but the HBM continues to run 3-5deg hotter than the chip.
Here is an image overlay of the old thermal paste application and the layout of the hbm and chip with the sanded down heatsink.
Did I simply not sand down the chip area enough to make a difference? Are the thermal pads on the inductors preventing from good pressure. I need some ideas lads.
WHY is the HBM still appart from the chip in termperatures, one would expect if both chip and the hbm are getting equal contact that they would both be around the same temp, or hbm being lower am I just mistaken on this? Does the HBM just run hotter than the chip always?

Attached: overlay.jpg (1065x425, 107K)

for reference
youtu.be/y_OgK_fUoH0?t=570
>this is the best coverage vega 64 vapor chamber vs the worst coverage chamber from our vega 56 chamber
But as you can see the delta from chip to hbm ranges from 76.4 to 82.3, a total of 5.9C in the best chase scenario and
75.4 to 85.0 a total of 9.6C in the worst case scenario.

In my case the delta went from 3C to 4C, but the over all temps improved for everything, though that could be due to a slightly closer fan placement to the heatsink.

Attached: chip vs hbm.jpg (1944x1460, 444K)

Upgrading from a 4770K, with a 1080Ti and at 1440p.
I went a little overboard on the motherboard, but this is a system to last me another 6 years so I splurged a bit.

Attached: setup.jpg (528x323, 43K)

This picture makes me angry. Why don't they just tell you the maximum address space instead of just 8+. They could of just went with 4+ and would have been more accurate.

Anyone running amd 3XXX series on LTSC, or isn't that advised? Due to it not being able to get major updates or is it just software from AMD that sorts updates?

How is Zotac producing a Tthreadripper? wtf

>MB much more expensive than a fucking CPU
>those excuses
Yeah, nah.
But wait, there's more.
>250w TPD cooler
>for 65w TPD cpu

>muh TDP

dilate

850watt evga g3 fully modular psu £76
32gb Ballistix Sport LT (4x8gb) £124
AMD ryzen 3700x £320
MSI B450 GAMING PLUS £79
Total £593
-26 in amazon prime reductions
=£573
Reckon that's an ok total for those parts Jow Forums? Or should I send any of it back and wait? (or swap for better alternatives)

Don't be too mad that I can afford a great motherboard, even if it is 150 more than the other one I was considering.
65w is base clock. A good cooler can get more from PBO, is quieter and cooler.

Attached: asus-rog-crosshair-viii-hero.jpg (1700x1766, 349K)

Having trouble picking a CPU cooler. Are AIO water coolers on par with these giant fins + fans air coolers? Which produces the least noise and performs best under load?

It's an okay price, but why 850w?

The ram is 3000mt single rank btw

Aorus Elite x570 or b450 gaming pro carbon ? I want to get the best out of my 3700x, not being cucked by temperature or oc headroom

Ryzen 3600 + 5700xt or Ryzen 3600x + 5700?
What would give me more bang for the buck?

It was in the amazon warehouse and they had 20% off,maybe should of went for the 750w, think that was the previous version g2.
There was something like £10 in difference for the newer model and extra 100 watts.
The g2 has a 120mm fan instead of 150mm on the g3, think I may of prefered being able to replace it with a noctua 120mm down if needed.
But the psu is squiet, havent installed any parts yet though.
I could've probably got away with using my 600 watt Corsair bronze, but I've had it for years and think it's probably a good time to get another psu.

280mm rads with good fans are often better than the biggest air coolers from noctua, bequiet or phanteks, but overall, air coolers are cheaper, quieter and less prone to failure.
Aesthetics are up to you. What cpu and what do you want from your system? OC? silence? price? etc

Attached: 4 and pro.jpg (1277x619, 106K)

Loves lovely.

9900k. I want the best cooling for as quiet as possible under £100. I can go higher, but I find it's good to set limits otherwise I'd be buying a Ferrari for no reason.

ryzen 3600 and the xt. X version isn't that much better than the non x

I don't know what 100 pounds is, but get any quality 280mm AIO from NZXT or even Corsair.
Or consider an NHD15 or Dark Rock Pro 4. Either will be good.

Attached: be-quiet-dark-rock-pro-4-2.jpg (1000x768, 113K)

Just brought my little brother a gaming pc for his birthday:
3600x
5700xt
x570

thanks for the advices you guys

why are AIO considered bad here ? Aren't they easier to install and work better than air cooler?

It's been mentioned many times, but AIOs are in fact better at achieving lower temps. However, they are often more expensive, a bit louder and more prone to failure.
Aesthetics is another reason to choose an AIO, but also easy ram clearance.
Large tower air coolers are within a few degrees of 280mm AIOs with good fans, but are cheaper, quieter and have less parts to fail.

AIOs are often a bit easier, but how many times are you gonna install it? What are your priorities from your system?

Alright thanks, the other worry I have is, how heavy are these fans? Do I have to worry about them bending the Mobo?

I think that's an old wives tail. Never heard or seen a mobo bent or even cracked from years of heavy tower coolers. It's even less of a consideration these days as PCBs have more layers. Especially X570, which is partly why it costs more.

Hey Jow Forums, i'm getting a build with 3700x and 2070s, is this x570 mobo a good choice? I will need to buy a wi-fi adapter anyways, and this one have it included + some fancy free stuff from MSI's promo.

pccomponentes.pt/msi-mpg-x570-gaming-edge-wi-fi

This is the free shit i'm getting for buying it:

pccomponentes.pt/cooler-master-masterliquid-ml240l-rgb

here

Also, which 2070s would you guys go for? I'm at loss and prolly will settle for the one with more fans.

It happens, had a bent mobo myself.
Nothing major but you could definitely see a slight bend.

>quieter
>posting from a x570 turbine
you have big brains

So I have FX-6300 CPU with some minor OC that needs a trivial voltage bump.
I don't want to OC any further because my PSU is very old and I don't want to stress it much (and not like desperately need an OC anyway).
But I thought about enabling turbo for a single core, thinking maybe it will be stable with the current voltage.
However prime95 doesn't make my CPU to kick into turbo mode so I can't test stability.
So how do I test stability situation? Is there some setting to activate turbo in stress testing software or something?

when does MSI plan to release their MAX cards?

Attached: 1523469761135.gif (466x330, 681K)

q3 q4

does other brand have x470/b450 boards with 32Mb rom for bios?
don't care about flashback

Attached: 1495834771735.jpg (385x387, 17K)

Look at all boards and if they have 1.0.0.3ab bios buy it

>1.0.0.3ab bios
isn't it the gutted version that disables certain features?

the fan doesn't turn on, or spins at low rpm
also inside a silence-oriented case

I asked this not long ago and was advised not to use it

Please responderino, I need you guys knowledge to don't end up buying some piece of shit mobo/gpu that will burn my house down.

Ah, cheers mate, normal enterprise should be alright it seems, hard to find people with this particular need.

I thought I had found a stable gpu clock

Then after 3+ hours into game it bsod'd

>Is 1440p a meme?
Definitely. It's a shit resolution. I'm sticking with 1080p until 4K becomes affordable.

Attached: 1563288050053.jpg (640x640, 89K)

The new AMD bios lets my 2200g's vram go up to 8gb
I'm getting ultra high textures babyyyyyyy
Woooohooooooo

Hey guys, I didn't know if you were aware but Byski on AliExpress is now selling waterblocks for the 5700/XT for $100. Also, you can OC to 2.2 Ghz with 15% more power, although it requires a decent aftermarket cooler.

tomshardware.com/news/amd-radeon-5700-xt-overclocked,39916.html

>GPUs now are faster than my cpu clock

Oh shit, that's a lot of ram clearance and doesn't reach PCIE.

if only they allowed that with the mobile apus too

Getting 3361 points in CB20, how come it's so low?

Ryzen 5 3600 here. 3200mhz CL16 ram

Im thinking the same thing. The problem is that 1440p doesn't seem like it takes that much more investment if you're already going for high framerates. if the parts were available i dont know, i might just have to do it. but the parts seems really scarce so I think I just stick to 1080p

You got chinked

3rd iteration of my computer specifically built for playing Rust.

>GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Pulse 2xHDMI 2xDP 8GB
>CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3,4GHz Socket AM4 Box
>RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 3200MHz 2x8GB
>PSU: Corsair TX550M V3 550W (Gold)
>MBD: ASRock B450M-HDV
>CSE: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L
>SSD: Corsair MP510 240GB M.2 SSD (up to 3100/1050 MB/s R/W)

Anything on it that shouldn't be there?
I know the motherboard is meh, but I don't see the need for more.
Thanks in advance.

Attached: 1529401123980.jpg (1280x1280, 230K)

sounds good maybe a tad bit short on the PSU

How is a 580 and a ryzen 5 2600 going to be too much for a 550w gold PSU? He could run a 1080ti on it if he wanted.

Is it generally harder or riskier to clean and replace the thermal paste on a GPU than on a CPU or laptop? I've done the latter plenty, but never the former.

I have a (used) PowerColor Vega 56 if that matters.

if he wants to OC he'll get too close to the limit for comfort

I know a b450 is enough for a 3700x, but wouldn't a x570 just give me a better stable/cooler platform ?

x570s get hotter though?
Hence the fan on the board.

no he won't

Would Noctua NH-U9s be the best CPU cooler up to 140mm tall?
I want to build a PC inside Lian Li's PC-V320A and it's constrained by heatsink's height.
CPU would be Ryzen 9 3900X.

Picture.

Attached: 2019-07-17-13:36:11-screenshot.png (477x264, 161K)

>EVGA b-stock 2080 available for $500
Worth over a 2070super?

Yeah that Mobo is fine, although msi is known for having a shitty bios, if you don't need the free cooler I'd go for the Asus Tuf gaming wifi

any 2080 is somewhat better then 2070 super. Wait for 23rd for 2080 super to arrive when 2080 prices will start falling, you could get a new 2080 instead of refurbished.

Thanks for the answer user. I will consider swaping for Tuf one since it's not the 1st time someone recommends me to do that.

Cooler wise though, which one would be good for a 3700x + Tuf 570?

the blue stuff is the upgrade, i'm keeping the other stuff. I don't know if going for a b450 is worth, i'm saving 50€ more or less

Attached: build.jpg (1450x840, 164K)

>NVMe isn't better than SATA SSD for gaming

Why? Does that apply for x570 motherboards too?

probably

wat

Of course it is. It will reduce load times.

I've been waiting for so goddamn long tho

yes, by maybe 1%

2080 supers are not out yet, don't pay the same price you could get a new card for.

By a mere second of load time reduction.

Attached: illustration.png (1925x1529, 144K)

>2080 supers are not out yet
I know, that's the issue. I'm entirely sick of waiting

I'm just quoting what's on the OP.

Even if it's just 1%, it's better, specially since it's far superior for everything else.

There will be no 2080 super. The lineup for this year is final. user will be waiting for another year for a $2000 card that still wont do 4k 144hz.

at the cost of lifetime reads and taking up PCI-e bandwidth that could be used for a faster GPU or multi-GPU setup.

Those are very different values. Load times are already incredibly short with SSDs in most games. 1 second would often be be about 20% faster.