/wdg/ - Web Development General

Weeb Dev General

Previous thread: >Beginner Roadmap and Overview
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap (don't be overwhelmed, ignore the later parts and go step-by-step)
youtube.com/watch?v=UnTQVlqmDQ0

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction to HTML/CSS/JS and Node.js or Django
freecodecamp.org - curriculum including HTML/CSS/JS, React, Node.js, Express, and MongoDB
javascript.info - curriculum providing a strong basis in JavaScript

>Further learning resources and documentation
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
hackr.io - crowdsourced collection of tutorials (ignore sponsored stuff, look at upvotes)
learnxinyminutes.com - quick reference sheets for the syntax of many different languages
pastebin.com/gfBPg24A - Collection of PHP links.

>Need help with some HTML, CSS or JS?
jsfiddle.net - create an example here and post the link

Attached: wdg_template_n.jpg (1280x720, 82K)

Other urls found in this thread:

npmtrends.com/react-vs-vue
stackshare.io/tools/top
google.com/136ltati8ra31.jpg', 'https://google.com/jwgvpaq5roa31.jpg'
reactphp.org/
php.net/manual/en/book.sockets.php
github.com/reactphp/
github.com/amphp/
github.com/ratchetphp
github.com/kraken-php/
github.com/swoole/swoole-src/
github.com/concurrent-php/ext-async
mattcrampton.com/blog/iterating_over_a_dict_in_a_jinja_template/
developers.google.com/web/updates/2017/09/autoplay-policy-changes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Can someone give me a guide on adding my logo to the navigation bar that doesnt need a framework. The way ive got it now is kinda fucky, it resizes incorrectly instead of staying the size of the navigation bar itself, and it has the button highlight when i hover over it which i dont want

where do you go to look for gigs/requests/clients?

FIRST!! KEKEKEK!
Based based redpilled and redpilled based

post a jsfiddle.
likely, that object-fit would solve all your sizing issues

What frameworks/tutorials/textbooks will get me hired quickest? I don't give a shit about pay or location, as long as it's at least $50k.

>ASP.NET
>.NET Core
>ASP.NET Core
>.NET 5

Attached: dotnet.png (601x74, 8K)

what have you learned so far?

Anyone a Yii master that I can talk to for a few minutes?

Microsoft always pulls bullshit like this. That's why I stopped using their services.

Remember when Apple deprecated ObjC in favor of Swift? Corporations tend to do that. Community-driven tech is much more resilient and long-lived. If, let's say, PHP was in the hands of any of the tech giants it would be deprecated a decade ago.

Is there a way to call to a program with parameters in js on a webserver?
I kinda want to write functionality into C based compiled and call to it with scripts.

>get a Microsoft outlook account with unlimited space
>it's actually 5GB
>get a GFWL account for video games
>depreciated, the games are now unplayable if you don't use community patches
>use your own domain for free at outlook.com
>sorry, depreciated you can't change anything anymore
>everything you upload to OneDrive is safe with us
>yes, we do scan all your images for nudity (and terrorist content), and if a positive match is found we let a moderator looks at your OneDrive files and bans you
>use Bitlock
>use your Outlook account to unlock it
I literally don't trust any of their services.

About to interview for a . NET Jr position to get out of the devops hell hole. Any pro tips?

Random stuff. I wrote a simple REST API in Go, using MySQL for the database (other group members handled all frontend stuff). I'm doing the CodeAcademy stuff for HTML, CSS, and JS. I wrote some basic TCP servers in C++ for school assignments (~800loc).
I think I could pick up a more mainstream framework/language pretty easily, I just want to start with the one that gives me the most employment opportunity.

>use bitlocker
>cant boot anymore after an automatic update

is devops bad? I was somewhat interested in getting into the field

>The .NET Framework will be deprecated
>Everything will now be called .NET and it is actually .NET Core
good call I hate adding Core to everything.

Anime slave girl edition, noice!
Reminder to work hard, so you can have your own cleaning 16-18 yo grill.

*slave grill

Then you will probably be busy with the HTML,CSS,JS foundation anyway for a bit.
Once you got the basics down you can check out React or Vue, though React will be more marketable, which you said is important for you.

Not a fan of sites like Codecademy or FreeCodeCamp, where you have this in-browser editor and mostly edit little pre-made snippets.
Though I don't know what the best way is.
When I picked up webdev I sped through a teamtreehouse video course on 1.5x, ignoring those quizes, but writing along in my own editor. Even then it was a bit out of date, but they may have updated it now.

There is Colt Steeles Web Developer Bootcamp, which often gets recommended, so might be worth checking that out or some similar course. (it's always on sale, don't get tricked)

FreeCodeCamp's stack is the latest popular stuff that's probably most employable in major US cities. Before Node.js got hot it was Ruby on Rails so you might want to learn that, before that idk it was before my time

What do I use in place of php? Ive never learned it, and what about apache? is it still good.

what do you want to do?

It was PHP actually, didn't want to possibly make a controversial statement but seems like a fact

Run and host a website with chat and a mysql database (unless theres an alt to mysql as well). I dont want to be using slow/ dead tech

Someone redpill me about sockets that thing with a neat name that basically need persistent back and forth communication in real time at low server activity costs. Is it achievable through PHP or isn't it, what are the god mode way into that technology. What should be my plan of action?

socket.io ?

everything you regularly hear about is alive and well.
Whether you use PHP, JS/Node, C#, Go, etc. doesn't really matter unless you decide you want to learn something new you haven't used so far.
Easiest is probably socket.io with Node. All other backends should have similar options, but I don't know them off-hand.

Attached: 1262074700461[1].jpg (600x447, 16K)

that's the freamworcky approach, I want it pure, raw, uncut

Learn 2 CSS my dude.
If it's resizing incorrectly, you're probably better off using % to resize within the container

>Learn 2 CSS my dude.
yeah, im pretty janky at it. web dev just doesnt follow the same logic as actual programming, its not autistic enough

Frontend or backend?

For frontend, Jquery is still popular, but will soon be obsolete now that you can do everything it did in native JS. React + native will take you further, especially if you really get into APIs

On the backend, PHP is still king of quick jobs, due to WordPress being so popular, though node.js is a great option, enterprise jobs love .net for Windows environments, and Python makes backend piss easy.

Yeah it's a bit weird, but if you structure your HTML with good container practices, it's alot easier to get a handle on.

>Weeb_developer
damn, I want out this ride already

Word to the wise.
>don't get on, unless you're autistic/ hate yourself

On second thought, welcome to the club

i wasn't born autistic,but once i started learning web-dev i definitely became afflicted with autism.especially reading through eloquent javascript,the autism in that book is earth shattering(good read though).

>Then you will probably be busy with the HTML,CSS,JS foundation anyway for a bit.
Yeah, but I will probably tackle different stuff in parallel.

>React will be more marketable, which you said is important for you.
I was definitely thinking of just going with React for frontend.

>Not a fan of sites like Codecademy or FreeCodeCamp, where you have this in-browser editor and mostly edit little pre-made snippets.
True, I am just using it for a bit of basic practice with the markup langs. I'll make some portfolio projects.

>On the backend, PHP is still king of quick jobs, due to WordPress being so popular
I am considering learning Wordpress/PHP, what are some good resources for that?

Looking at some job listings, it seems like Django, Laravell, Wordpress, and Node/Express are incredibly common for backend stuff. Realistically, I suspect that any definite advantages of these frameworks depend on your region, and otherwise, demand for workers is roughly equalized by the simpler and older frameworks attracting more applicants (though maybe the PHP stuff turns people off and has more local businesses, making it a better bet?).

Use SCSS and React, you cuck.

You can use NPM trends to see what's hot. Here's an example of a comparison of two front-end frameworks:
npmtrends.com/react-vs-vue

Based on this comparison, you should learn React because it's far more popular, which means there will be more job openings that fit you.

You can use StackShare to get a feel for what technologies big companies tend to use.
stackshare.io/tools/top

Based on the top tools, you should probably get familiar with GitHub!

It would also be extremely valuable if you could describe the various parts of a working website and the various concerns a programmer has while developing a website. Unfortunately, I don't know where you can read about all this in just one place. I had to learn bits and pieces of this over two years at my first job, but it's not that complicated so this information really should be somewhere out there.

foreach data AS ?

What's the singular of data?

Attached: latest[1].jpg (300x287, 17K)

datum

django, rails or node.js

>for(item of items)
:^)

What books would you guys recommend to start learning from end stuff?

good news

I have a dict of urls
I want to loop through those urls in my html, something like

{% for url in urlList %}
{{ urlList }}
{% endfor %}

Problem is it keeps printing out the urls like..
google.com/136ltati8ra31.jpg', 'https://google.com/jwgvpaq5roa31.jpg'

But if I print out urlList[0], it prints it out normally. Anyone know how I can fix this?

>{% for url in urlList %}
>{{ urlList }}
>{% endfor %}

>{{ urlList }}

Attached: 1515004760704.png (872x720, 590K)

You have to run a persistent server so the traditional php-fpm approach won't work. But you can use a framework like reactphp.org/ (not to be confused with the react ui library).
It will be easier to do this with node.js though. You'll usually need to know js for the clientside anyway.

So Node it is? Right when I thought Node was useless trash it hits me with high tech right in the face.

Can you return in componentDidMount()? Or is it just reserved to props and state?

Socket.io with Node is the braindead easy approach as others have said. If you want godtier websocket performance, look at Elixir / Phoenix. But you probably don't need that.

interesting, thanks, noted

>Elixir / Phoenix
when would somebody need that btw?

Help me anime girl

You would need it if you plan to have thousands of websockets open and need low overhead. Phoenix is a really good backend framework in general, but its strength is in websockets / concurrent connections.

It's to the point where they're developing a React competitor called Liveview, where DOM updates are handled via websockets and everything is still server side rendered.

componentDidMount doesn't have a return. Even if you overwrite it and return a value, the React framework won't do anything with that returned value.

Different user here, and I have literally have no idea what language you’re using
But it looks like you’re looping through a list and on each iteration, printing out the entire list instead of the item

holy shit, that sounds tight af

Java has no dictionary. C#?

>is it achievable with PHP
yes
Vanilla :
- php.net/manual/en/book.sockets.php
Libraries / Frameworks :
- github.com/reactphp/
- github.com/amphp/
- github.com/ratchetphp
- github.com/kraken-php/
C Extensions :
- github.com/swoole/swoole-src/
- github.com/concurrent-php/ext-async

Sorry. It's Jinja2

without knowing what templating language that is, I am 99.9% sure that should be {{ url }} not {{ urlList }}

I dunno what it is, but basically seek the analog of string.Join(delimeter, flat_collection) where you can specify your won delimiter and output it into one string (so you can have \n)

I just saw some tutorial where a guy typed .row>.col-3 and then pressed something to transform this text into . What kind of shortcut is that? He was using phpStorm, if it helps.

I think I'm gonna make a "where should I eat" generator, kind of like wheel of lunch.

Most of the ones that exist use location data though, and don't work half the time, so for now I'll probably just use popular fast food chains, and add options for "local pizza joint", "local Mexican joint" etc.

I'll add in a way to deselect certain types of food /restaurants, and a "nah, fuck that" button.

Any other features I should add?

Does not work unfortunately, doesn't print out anything at all if I use url. My dict is urlList.

Okay, I'll try that

Is it good though? Can it compete with Node websockets?

input location, checks yelp and yellowpages

wait, I was looking at your initial post again.
Is urlList not an array of some sort?
What's up with the %20 in there?

drop the name faggot

>Does not work unfortunately, doesn't print out anything at all if I use url. My dict is urlList.
Dictionary is a KeyValue pair, you need to get the Value or Key depending what is in your dictionary
mattcrampton.com/blog/iterating_over_a_dict_in_a_jinja_template/

Allright , then whats the equivalent to onLoad() on React?

I'm trying to autoplay this video buts its not doing it , can you help me?

Fuck cant post netlifly links.

Attached: Captura.png (1136x675, 611K)

works for me

Attached: 1554849803686.png (1597x878, 109K)

YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO, DAD!

>checks Yelp
Not a bad idea

Can someone help a brainlet here?

I want to use Tailwind CSS with react. I've used create-react-app to kickstart the project and installed tailwind. I've followed a medium article that says in order to be able to use tailwind, we should add:
"tailwind:css": "tailwind build src/css/tailwind.src.css -c tailwind.js -o src/css/tailwind.css"
to the scripts in package.json.
But when I run it, I get an error that there's no tailwind.js though tailwindcss does provide a successful log.

Pls help.

I'm really not sure why. If I just print out urlList[0], the string doesn't have that. Yes, urlList is a dictionary

So something like this?

Attached: dictitems.jpg (496x77, 10K)

user, are you being retarded on purpose?
Google what Dictionary is. Learn the data structure, it is absolutely simple but you seems to have no basic knowledge. I already told you what it is btw, few repleis above

Isn't autoplay disabled now?

>using python requests to post form data and login
>use requests.post, login successful but the cookiejar is empty
>create requests.session then session.post, now I got the cookie
feels weird that direct post didn't work

Tailwind is shit.

Why?
What would you recommend?

Well it does autoplay when I go from one page to the main page.

Kek

Snippets?

that's just emmet. It's mostly built-in in many code editors. In case your code editor doesn't have it by default, there's a huge chance that there's a plugin/extension for it.

Not sure how relevant this is but look
developers.google.com/web/updates/2017/09/autoplay-policy-changes

>Autoplay with sound is allowed if: User has interacted with the domain (click, tap, etc.)
This would explain why it works when you go from one page to the main page, but not when you refresh/start on the main page.

>company is going to make me write Angular
should I unironically quit?

Write your own CSS. Especially if you ever want to work on a project with other people, Tailwind is useless because it's write only code that's not used anywhere in production.

Use Sass, Stylus or styled-components.

Eeeeeh I guess this explains it. Thanks user.

what i ususally do is make a container for the image, and then set the image to the size of the container.

.brand {
width: 100px;
height: 100px;
}
.brand image {
width: 100%;
height: auto;
// or vice versa
}

Attached: vivaldi_nv8vSJvGJN.png (420x101, 84K)

that logo looks like shit my man, just constructive criticism, give it a circle arround the cow maybe like a nice frame to it. and give up the white bar and the shadows, unless it's subtle like in the title

it's not suppose to be a real logo. it's just something i shit together using css and an svg.

Attached: 1543498364362.jpg (300x393, 59K)

alright then

just know that it completely breaks the looks of the title and makes the whole thing look cheap and low quality just by association, all in all, it owuld be much better gone than in it's current state

Are there any CSS frameworks that aren't shit?

I usually create my own stylesheets from scratch but I want to build an actually responsive side project and I can't be fucked with media queries.

say that to her face not online and see what happens

Attached: sakuya.jpg (1600x1600, 376K)

fair enough, i don't know a single thing about graphic design

Attached: 6lr3EiQ.gif (245x194, 980K)

on your deffense I'll give you that the letters look pretty cool and match the theme

she'd clean the dick cheese off my dick with her tongue like the good cumslut she is

if you don't mid me asking, are you a graphics designer / ui designer? do you have any tips to make things not look smelly anus.