/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

What are you working on, Jow Forums?

Last thread:

Attached: 1546933961121.png (500x504, 327K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lwn.net/SubscriberLink/793253/6ff74ecfb804c410/
forum.dlang.org/post/[email protected]
twitter.com/AnonBabble

That's really only because Clojure became one of the defacto non-mainstream webshit languages. Webshits grow tight bonds to their languages and frameworks and will defend them at any cost.

honest opinions on :
1) Rust
2) Go
3) Python

working on a secret

Gay
Shit
Whatever

SICP is outdated and absolutely useless in Anno Domini 2019. It's a meme for people to feel like a "real programmer". No one who gets paid to code, that was born in the last 30 years, has bothered reading it. Just because some anime watching dullard shills it non-stop doesn't make it any more useful. Please stop recommending trash to new programmers, because it does more harm than good.
Cheers.

Attached: bjarne.jpg (200x245, 62K)

>friend comes to me to see if I can help design some configuration files for a game he's making
>always wanted to help in a game project so I agree
>It's fucking lua
I want to die.

Attached: 1562907316086.jpg (622x621, 70K)

Rust - excellent language marred by an overly SJW community. Hopefully, as it spreads out, the SJWs will become a minority.

Go - just use C instead.

Python - meh, but it gets the job done.

>help design some configuration files
what does that mean?
whats wrong with lua?

I'm trying to not think about season 2 thank you very much. :(

What's wrong with Lua? Have you tried adding Fennel support?

>whats wrong with lua?
IT'S FUCKING LUA DO I NEED TO SAY MORE

what anime is this?

it's a deprecated lang, as well as the notion of scripting langs in the first place.

Now that D is getting a borrow checker is there any point to using Rust?

>projection projection projection projection

>shit
>for retards
>shit for retards

yes

>it's a deprecated lang
what?

im trying to understand why was Rust created
was it to compete with C or what? is it really growing in popularity or is it all fake propaganda?
>Rust was the "most loved programming language" in the Stack Overflow Developer Survey for 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019.

>being in denial that your precious language is now primarily used for webshit
okay lad

Just learn C and you will know. You have to understand it anyway in order to use Rust.

monster musume. don't watch it it's lewd

Rust was created by Mozilla because their codebase at the time (C++) was atrocious and they didn't feel like it would be easy to find maintainers that knew C++ well enough. Thus, Rust was born as an easier alternative to C++. At some point in its creation some of the people went off the rails on "safety" and started holy wars against Cniles. Throughout all of this they forgot about Ada and SPARK and failed to really enter the "safety" industry or embedded market that is largely owned by C/C++/Ada/SPARK.

1) Good ideas but needs more work, like await/async and template specialization
2) Good scripting language but needs generics, macros and const types
3) Slow ass shit only used by lazy devs and nonprogrammers

how are you supposed to do concurrency with this many gotchas?
lwn.net/SubscriberLink/793253/6ff74ecfb804c410/

how the hell do you write a compiler for a language in that particular language? what the fuck who will compile the compiler?
dont tell me u use some other language for the very first compilation and then continue with intended language?

It's practical, not precious, and it's fine if people want to use it. It was made to be used.

You ignore them and write a message passing system that allows for unlimited concurrency.

I'd actually read the DIP before you shout dumb shit like that.
D is in no way getting a BC similar to Rusts, i.e compiler magick doing work for you.
D is merely getting upgraded semantics in relation to lifetimes and mutable references. You can better think of it as a first step, and much of the work is still on the programmer, as it's in no way, complete.
>The proposed feature only checks expressions that are function calls. It does not perform interstatement checking. It does not check non-scope pointers. It is not a complete borrowing/ownership scheme, although it is an important step in that direction.
forum.dlang.org/post/[email protected]

>dont tell me u use some other language for the very first compilation and then continue with intended language?
yes
you write the first compiler or interpreter in a different language, then write a second compiler in the new language you want to "bootstrap" (that's the term). you use the first compiler to compile it, now you have a compiler in your new language also written in your new language

yes, it's called bootstrapping

it is in comparison to C/C++/Rust. It's not in comparison to interpreters and does not waste anywhere as much memory as JIT compiling VMs.

You have to bootstrap at some point.

That is how it works, except it usually takes far beyond the first compilation to build a new compiler.

>Slow ass shit only used by lazy devs and nonprogrammers
i use it :( i feel bad now

Go is not a scripting language

Attached: IMG_20190717_134310_347.jpg (904x386, 91K)

Can you show us something that's not webshit?

>php up there with the big boys
based

It's slow but that doesn't make you a lazy dev or a non-programmer. Sometimes using Python is the only logical move, if you're making a script for example.

> B-but this doesn't count
Go make your own research, go is fast and is fast as C and Rust , faster than java or c#

>it's a deprecated lang
uh, no?
>as well as the notion of scripting langs in the first place.
This is just outright false. Something like Unity just uses C# as its scripting lang instead of something more lightweight.

Attached: DPT Language Judges.jpg (300x168, 14K)

Webshit is largely IO and design bound. Your comparison shows jack shit about the real performance of the language.

not even in this dumb argument (that's merely a misunderstanding for not understanding scripting lang == shitlang i don't like)
But Go's whole niche is webshit.

eh it's not bad - especially better than sepples.
the community however... just no.

can go fuck itself - garbage software made for brainlets - especially contractors.
code is ugly and at best looks like good c. (hint - fucking horrible)

python is just, python. it's good for python things, but people just tend to use it for everything and that kind of ruins it's reputation.

It happens every time your computer starts. It doesn't inherently know how to execute instructions, first there's a boot loader and microcode run to set up the CPU and probe for devices.

Attached: 1563346430955.jpg (1241x1755, 436K)

>more than 3x slower
>worse than SBCL
>worse than OCaml
>Go is fast
Literally fuck off.

Attached: file.png (267x150, 32K)

Just watch the new show.

Attached: have you read.jpg (1280x720, 124K)

Am I doing this right. Just got pic related in the mail. Is there any use in the datacenter where LISP is usefull?
(define (slope x1 y1 x2 y2) (/ (- y1 y2) (- x1 x2)))
(slope 1 1 3 6)
5/2

Attached: sicp.jpg (1440x1440, 337K)

> Rust
Good C++ alternative, but it has a shitty community.
> Go
A great language for projects that require 10 or more programmers.
> Python
The best language if you like duct-taped programming.

Attached: file.png (672x382, 87K)

And a shitty generic harem.
Yes, except that is with no frameworks. With them PHP is at the bottom. And nobody writes PHP without them.
Regex benchmarks don't matter. The B-tree one is actually garbage though.

cringe
cringe but usable as last resort
based

I don't see what's bad about the community aside from the tranny meme.

>it's good for python things
like what?
for what is it used the most nowadays?

>"safety"
what did you mean?

I think you got your numbers backwards, (- y2 y1)

Go/Haskell hybrid when?

>Yes, except that is with no frameworks
huh? i thought swoole is a framework :/

Being lazy and shitting on performance.

A lang that has less than 10 years is almost as fast than langs that exists for more than 20 ( not including rust for obvious reasons) looks good enough and fast enough

LISP (CL) went to space with NASA. Don't let people make you think it's a toy language.

Pretty much Elm, considering Evan took out custom operators because they were "confusing" to new people, and "too niche".
There's a haskell flavor on the JVM though.

you are correct did get them backwards.

Attached: rick.jpg (449x364, 32K)

Elm/Haskell hybrid when?

>for what is it used the most nowadays
everything - that's the bad part.
python things include small scripts some scheduled stuff - mostly business logic.
everything you'd use bash for p. much. why python then? you can seek the answer yourself

Attached: SIG-python01.png (1600x1161, 139K)

i only care about money
you guys are insane over what kind of things you argue here

Considering that's what the company who fund Elm's development are running, probably soon.

Attached: CpvXJM1WEAASS9a.jpg (1766x816, 66K)

It's funny how the course of failed languages these days are now to become web languages. Even Rust is doing it since it couldn't break into the C++/C market.

If you only care about money, why choose programming of all things? You could have been a male prostitute.

Attached: mXWbQVD.jpg (1920x1200, 238K)

You have to look decent for that.

programmers earn alot more

Maybe cloud computing is making native application development obsolete.

S-Sorry, Anone! I can't believe I was actually late from the JavaScript lesson this time...

Attached: e0f4d6367ff7c59ddc0d682e333527e6.jpg (564x847, 46K)

> This python lib made in C is faster than pure Go
Damn I'm really discussing with a retard

because retard could do it and you earn unfair amount of money compared to other professions that actually contribute to society and wellbeing
i wish i am an actual engineer or brain surgeon believe me

>failed to really enter the "safety" industry
It only reached v1.0 in 2015 m8, it's way too early to make a call.

programmers contribute to society, thats why they're in high demand

javascript is not you're waffle and your going to dye alone

murs jebem ti majku u picku

>that actually contribute to society and wellbeing
Not programming then.

Attached: 1562633168839.jpg (434x466, 49K)

I bet numpy doesn't count either because parts of it are written in C
let's just discount all of cython and pypy too

he's a literal ESL, stop responding.

Any good articles on gitflow? e.g. how finish the release branch?

>he
also what the fuck is ESL

kill yourself.

No it doesn't, if you need C to make your program run fast I could make some C interoperation with Go and make it even faster.

Only thing it shows is that python is slow AF and need shit made in C

Not with how things in Rust can change week to week. They haven't even tried to focus on being provable either nor make it easy for developers to get certificates needed to enter the auto/air/defense industries. If it ever wants to get into them I bet what will end up happening is a subset of Rust splitting off and being used that's more stable.

suck my tits

Attached: garr.jpg (303x166, 7K)

>I could make some C interop with Go
that's the point
python is high-level and easy to use
why not take advantage of a library written in a different language for speed while retaining all the other benefits?

ESP + GPL = ESL

It's the name given to people who don't eat burgers everyday.

Attached: main-qimg-3709717f6b5938b61eef9aab9f5d3049.gif (500x455, 38K)

Crate.io is still run on the cheapest heroku plan, i doubt getting a certified compiler is on their shortlist right now.

SPARK exists already. This would fill no niche, other than dilating trannies wanting to get into high safety programming but are too scared of SPARK.

why is rust full of sjw?

nope, still not getting it

Dayum, Rust really tightened up its game since the last time I've seen those benches!