Wayland was (and is) a mistake

Wayland was (and is) a mistake.

Attached: wayland_logo.png (972x571, 66K)

Other urls found in this thread:

obsproject.com/forum/resources/wlrobs.774/
github.com/fzwoch/obs-gnome-screencast
drewdevault.com/wayland-book/
wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/Wayland
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

why did they use XML for wayland protocol?

Attached: 1556324897008.png (596x391, 131K)

no it isn't

- sent from my sway machine

Attached: chinese_keyboard.jpg (640x427, 55K)

good luck doing a streaming of your desktop.

safety measures, says the Wayland protocol developers

does wayland work well on BSD? I hate how freedesktop doesn't even care about other unix-like operating systems

bruh im in academics, i barely need my machine as it is. I have no need for streaming my desktop
I need a smooth tearfree experience and i ONLY found this here. I'm not using bloated, messy X just so i can have the potential to use a feature i will never use? that's dumb also Wayland developpers are X developpers, if they knew X was already perfect i doubt thy would have abandoned the project to otbers.

Why is there a bunch wayland sucks thread every single day? Who benefits from doing this and trying to stop progress? MS?
I mean if you're just an autist you can just not use it. X.org is not going anywhere for at least 2 decades because of the enterprise, BSD and related projects.
It just makes this board even more insufferable, It's always the same arguments and the same counter. I'm just going to filter it from now on. Good luck.

obsproject.com/forum/resources/wlrobs.774/

you can use obs
and you can do screencasting
get with the times grandpa

Jow Forums loves bitching about things that aren't even issues. nobody on here does any research and just bandwagons on whatever some user says. also you're forgetting the fact that most people on here are underage

XML is used for the code generator. The actual wire protocol is a pretty simple binary protocol.
It's one of the less egregious uses of XML I've seen, just due to the sheer amount of documentation text that the protocol has, which many other formats can't handle very well.

A mistake

works great on my machine.

have seethe more dilation tranny sex, etc

Why aren't you using i3 fellow snowflake?

i3 even with compositers has insane screen tearing unless im in fullscreen
it pissed me off so i took my config and now im on wayland

>Option "TearFree" "true"

did that, didnt work somehow
i did every option never understood what the problem is, trust me ive been suffering from this for 3 months
but as soon as i opened sway it just worked

im actually gonna grab Debian BUSTER to check out how this shitshow is going since it now is the default compositor....

the last time i played with wayland was on rebecca black linux and i was not impressed

Attached: 1563319966604.jpg (2459x1801, 2.59M)

That's what the Arch wiki recommends for amdgpu cards, but I was getting weird lags in rocket league (both native and proton) until i removed my conf file where I specified tearfree and the DRI level of 3. Once that conf file was gone I was getting much better performance
>gayming
I know, I know, so sue me.
I get no tearing in Cinnamon with it off and Cinnamon's vsync option turned on. maybe it's still enabled I'll test that.

Will Wayland finally fix the tearing/stutter issue in Linux? It seems like half of the Linux experience is trying to fix the fucking tearing. If you install Compton, you get horrible stutter in things like games and video playback in Firefox.

it depends on your compositor, but the answer is probably yes, wayland was designed to be a protocol that would make it possible for compositors to eliminate screen tearing, and all currently existing compositors i am aware of have done that

Well that argument got btfo...

eh github.com/fzwoch/obs-gnome-screencast

The other day I was on a windows computer for some tech support shit and was seriously disturbed at how fucking easy it was for someone to remotely take over the screen. It was literally just one click. No password/admin rights or anything required.

Stop using a compositor or a desktop that forces one. There's no tearing when you don't use a fucking compositor when properly configured.

you just have to watch that 'x is shit' video from an x dev to know thats not remotely true

Compositors on xorg are basically a hack and some cards still have tearing with them anyway.

Hello there!

You seem to have made a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Jow Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a trip when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your trip when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a trip when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you are making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my best to help you get used to the anonymous imageboard culture!

xorg is broken, for some i915 cards there is only wayland.

>BSD
FreeBSD has sway, but still is experimental, there is some issues with mouse events.

ur very smart

freedesktop doesn't develop Wayland

>sway

Attached: 1561576353098.jpg (1024x683, 53K)

Use KDE/gnome like a normal person instead of a tiling wm using neckbeard

why are boomers so attached to the past, X is a mess

Attached: zoom.jpg (500x750, 90K)

Amen.

X is a mature mess.
Wayland is an immature mess that doesn't show signs of being ready any time soon.
I wish that community would've stucked with Canonical's solution rather than Red Hat's one. Mir showed more promise.

He's a wlroots developer you nigger
Bullshit, Wayland works perfect

you realise wayland is not a red hat thing right? It has nothing to do with them except they chose to have it on their distro. it's developped by X developpers because they thought X was a mistake
These people coded X wen they were actual teenagers and uni freshmen

>Wayland works perfect
Good one.
It works somewhat fine if you have a specific use case for your machine and have a certain configuration.
Red Hat is a major player that backs it and contributes to it. If it wasn't for Red Hat, said X developers wouldn't make any real progress. It's not wrong to attribute Wayland to them.

I can't say I've looked at Mir too much from a technical perspective, but Mir was ridden with Canonical's CLA. Fuck that shit.
Not to mention Sepples.

There are many groups involved in upstream wayland, including companies and many individuals. Redhat isn't even the company with the most visible influence outside of Gnome.

There are actually some key freedesktop people that are heavily involved with Wayland, but there most of them are involved with X.org too. They aren't even really distinct groups of people, and it's a big jumble of people being associated with lots of them.

Using sway here as well, had no troubles at all so far.
The only thing I can complain about is programming in Wayland. Opening up a software renderer in xorg is more straight forward. The wayland documentation also has lots of room for improvement, but from a user perspective I'm happy.

Once you actually learn how the wayland protocol works, it's actually far more sane to work with as a developer. Although there is a bit of boilerplate you need to go through.
Software rendering is pretty easy; just create a shared-memory object (shm_open, memfd_create), mmap it, and start drawing into it.
libwayland-client is quite a low level library, more comparable to xcb, rather than something like Xlib.

Drew Devault was working on a "book", going over how modern Wayland clients work, rather than the somewhat outdated and abstract official Wayland documentation: drewdevault.com/wayland-book/
He's not finished yet, though.

Completely agree, but it's still quite the learning curve imo, but thanks for the book.

its relevant in this case you fucking filthy newfaggot

no

retards.

I got wayland working on FreeBSD and Libinput is actually really functional but I had to get the newer one.

wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/Wayland
Removed my tearing and I like the whole scope of it more than Xorg+xserver+wm+compositor+xrandr.

This is 4channel

wrong

*** Sent from GNOME/Wayland at my Thinkpad T440p