/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600 - Good gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>R7 3700X - Overkill gaming CPU
>R7 1700X - Budget video editing
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks and most demanding games

RAM:
>Do not use a single DIMM. 2 sticks ONLY for a typical dual channel CPU
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 3200CL16 or Micron E-die ("AES" in code) recommended
>AMD B & X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP
>B-die is EOL, stocks are limited

GPUs based on current pricing:
1080p
>RX 570/580 8GB - Can be found on sale for cheap. Look for 570s which are >1240MHz boost
>GTX 1660 - higher fps / more demanding games
>RX 5700 - even higher FPS
1440p
>RX 5700 - basic
>RX 5700XT - standard
>RTX 2070 Super - higher framerates in SOME games
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2070S OC - budget option. Turing performance scales better into 4K than Navi does.
>2080Ti - best for 4K but expensive

>Navi AIB models come mid-August. 5700 blower is alright, due to low power.

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Yes, adaptive sync (free/g/sync) is important
>SSD Guide (250GB+ SATA bare minimums): i.imgur.com/79MYtoE.png
>NVMe isn't better than SATA SSD for gaming
>"Bottleneck checker" sites don't work
>Don't use Speccy
>AM4 VRMs + Monitors under "more"

more: rentry.co/pcbg-more
prev

Attached: tfw intcel.png (1024x526, 502K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/GYwNRJ
asus.com/Motherboards/TUF-B450-PRO-GAMING/
asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450 Steel Legend/index.asp
asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450 Pro4/index.asp
youtube.com/channel/UCxZ0BkYadR-0LtmkrHcFOvQ
newegg.ca/msi-arsenal-gaming-b450-tomahawk/p/N82E16813144189?item=9SIAK7K9AV9187
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/edit#gid=639584818
pcpartpicker.com/list/BvkFcY
techspot.com/news/73334-amd-give-ryzen-apu-customers-free-processor-help.html
youtube.com/watch?v=SY2g9f7i5Js
youtu.be/X4F7ihgZlu8
vocaroo.com/i/s0CIny7mkoed
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How good is the Inland Premium NVME M.2 ssd? I heard it was TLC. I was planning on putting my OS and other stuff on it (emulators, games, etc). Is this a mistake? I heard M.2 drives aren't really good with this stuff. I also have a spare 860 EVO if it's not good.

did the last thread get shutdown early because of a mod?

m.2 is fine. However don't trust bargain bin SSDs. Being cheap can get expensive.

I think the i/o isn't great, but it's acceptable. Not sure if it's better in all situations as an MX500 or not, but it is better in read/write speeds.

Yes, that other thread was by the ban evader. And a janny who didn't realize deleted the continuation of /pcbg/ by non-ban-evaders.

Why do you keep avoiding your ban?

based mods

My CPU fan is just sitting idly on top of my CPU as no matter how much I turn the shitty screws nothing happens. Upon closer inspection it seems my case doesn't have the pins that stick up through the motherboard that I see on other setups. Am I completely screwed?

>Yes, that other thread was by the ban evader
is someone sincerely ban evading to shill the /pcbg/ OP sticky? Are you fucking kidding me? I'm sick of having like 4 open /pcbg/ threads to ask a question and then having them shut down.

lol the mods banned the intel thread

most jannies are pajeets. who would have thought

pcpartpicker.com/list/GYwNRJ

Budget is $1500 but that's for everything and everything includes monitor/keyboard/headphones etc.

Guy who was considering the Taichi last thread here
Looks like asrock support is absolute ass and you can't just USB update the BIOS so I'm not getting that mobo.
Probably going to get the msi x470 gaming pro carbon AC since my current mobo is also msi and the bios is pretty easy to work with. On to find a nice case!

Attached: 1562942665008.jpg (1200x887, 634K)

Who's the qt
Post her channel :3

you mean the CPU mounting bracket? that thing is part of the mobo and you can probably find a generic replacement depending on the socket.

>qt
yikes

she cute

Did the mods seriously ban someone for not shilling AMD?

the mod is asian, so of course.

Need a mobo for my R7 3700X build. My options are Asus TUF B450-PRO, Asrock B450 Steel Legend and Asrock B450 Pro 4, which one should I get?

asus.com/Motherboards/TUF-B450-PRO-GAMING/
asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450 Steel Legend/index.asp
asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450 Pro4/index.asp

MSI boards are expensive as fuck where I live, and I cant afford x470 / 5xx boards. Also, can I remove those stupid plastic IO shields without breaking anything and loosing my warranty? Would it help VRM cooling?

I have a 3 pin rear fan header in my case but all of the fan headers on my mobo are 4 pin. Will it be OK to plug them in regardless? I also have an unmarked 3 pin header

B450 vrms are shit get an ASUS x570 tuf

Soro Rin

I mean this nightmare of a hole. Bumped the fan while taking the picture.

Attached: 20190717_210918.jpg (4032x3024, 3.38M)

>amd shills actually reported the previous thread
lmao what fucking faggots.

why not get an X570 motherboard? There are a good deal of sub $200 boards. No BIOS issues. No guessing whether or not shit will work.

Have some suggestions? The x470 I'm looking at is $180 on amazon so in that price range would be good. Also wifi and spdif out would be nice

youtube.com/channel/UCxZ0BkYadR-0LtmkrHcFOvQ

Yes. He's ban evaded literally dozen of times to troll /pcbg/, and Jow Forums in general. The regulars are aware, which is why his threads rarely go anywhere and mods rarely have to resort with intervening anyway.
He's already ban evaded again and posting in this thread to troll.
It wasn't a janny who closed down that thread, it was a mod. It was a janny who deleted the regular /pcbg/ thread.

I can only afford buying a semi decent mobo because shops are getting rid of old motherboards, a x570 would cost almost twice the price I'm getting

Is this a joke?

Fuckin based
Thanks

What the ever living shit.
There's an entire bracket that is mounted on the underside of the motherboard and you screw standoffs into it from the front.

these are currently the only X570 boards sub $200 in stock on newegg.
are you US based? Amazon, Newegg, Microcenter all have motherboards in the sub $200 range.
>Yes. He's ban evaded literally dozen of times to troll /pcbg/, and Jow Forums in general
Get a fucking life holy shit.

Attached: X570-boards.png (1004x571, 213K)

>asrock
I dunno. I've only heard the most awful things about their customer support and software, even if their hardware might be good. I'll stick to the mobo I'm thinking of for now unless something major changes. I appreciate the help though

>Get a fucking life holy shit.
Why do you keep defending a confirmed permaban evader like that? It reflects poorly on you.

The ASUS X570 TUF is decent and shouldn't cost TOO much.
The Assrock boards apparently have loud chipset fans, and don't even have SoC heatsinks.

>Warning! Some AMD B450 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Zen 2 CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.
What does this mean to technologically illiterate?

>Why do you keep defending a confirmed permaban evader like that? It reflects poorly on you.
Defending?? No I'm saying for the evader to get a life. Do something else other than ban evade and shit post.
your loss. I can find plenty of shit to say about any brand and/or their customer service. I've done build with every sort of motherboard from Asus to ECS. I'll always take an ASrock if Asus isn't available.

You may require an older cpu to update the mobo before the new cpu can work
Amd and b450 fags btfo

not all motherboards can do BIOS flashing without a CPU installed. If your board doesn't have that feature, you'll need a compatible CPU to pop in, flash the BIOS, then be able to install a new CPU.

Smells like faggot in here.

You need a ryzen 1000 or 2000 to boot the pc, update the bios and only then your ryzen 3000 will work. Some MSI boards have a feature where you dont actually need a CPU, just a flash drive.

AMD sends CPUs for free to people update their bios tho, and usually even older b450 boards come with updated bios if they are new stock.

newegg.ca/msi-arsenal-gaming-b450-tomahawk/p/N82E16813144189?item=9SIAK7K9AV9187
This was the b450 I was looking at getting
Can it update itself?
I just turn on the computer before installing the cpu then install it after?

>are you US based?
I'm not.

yea I think that's one of the boards that Jow Forums loves to talk about getting specifically because of that feature and VRM quality.

I was getting a ryzen 3600
The b450 was msi
See
Can this update bios without cpu?
How to?
Thanks

well then that changes things. Get the best B450 motherboard you can afford then.

Yeah, you can. Here you can see the list of boards that have this feature"
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/edit#gid=639584818

Sure, but which one? See: These (and cheaper stuff) are the only boards I can currently buy without waiting months for delivery and possibly receiving a smashed package.

How badly did I fuck up? Most advanced gaymen I have is Black Mesa.
Plan on 2x the monitor eventually. Need speakers too.

pcpartpicker.com/list/BvkFcY

I would personally take the ASrock B450-Pro 4. I don't think any of the boards you mentioned have BIOS flashing without CPU. However I think AMD is still giving "boot kits" to flash your BIOS.

techspot.com/news/73334-amd-give-ryzen-apu-customers-free-processor-help.html

What the fuck does the recommended gpu thing even mean? Does it mean for ultra high or what? What qualifies as standard? The vega 56 was considered standard 1440p for a while but the stronger 5700xt is now standard?

just different wording of people who write the OP.
Not much point in getting the Vega56 now, unless it's ultra cheap, when the 5700 is extremely good value.

Vega 56 will do 1440p@60 on ultra in all but maybe 5 games, but you'll get more longevity and efficiency out of the 5700 and it's recommended to just spend the slightly more money.

Technically you can do 4k@60 on an RX580 or 1660 in 99% of games if you turn settings down far enough.

that cooler and fans are more expensive than some of your other components and are frankly overkill

Thanks! It is always so confusing seeing a bunch of the OPs shuffle around.

>sapphire radeon 5700 xt
>ryzen 3600
>corsair vengeance lpx 16gb
>b450 tomahawk
>$1245 maple bucks
Is this a good mid range setup?
I'll be gayming and photo editing on my 2k moniter

seems good to me. However keep in mind the reference blower cooler on the 5700XT isn't able to keep the card under control. Or at least according to reviews.

Can someone please tell me if i can plug in a 4 pin into a 6 pin gpu

Just slight differences of opinion, outside of the one guy who ban evades to blatantly troll.

For 1440p? Yeah, good build. But the 5700XT is loud. Either get the 5700, buy an arctic GPU cooler, or wait for custom 5700XT cards.

youtube.com/watch?v=SY2g9f7i5Js
oh boy here we go

omfg OWNS a silvia s15 and likes pc hardware. i m in love

No, you can't.

>How badly did I fuck up? Most advanced gaymen I have is Black Mesa.
>Plan on 2x the monitor eventually. Need speakers too.
>pcpartpicker.com/list/BvkFcY
You are VASTLY overspending to play a game which'll run at 4k on an iGPU.
Also that thermal paste sucks

I'll be doing 2k not 4k
Shouldn't that mean the blower will be sufficient?
Pretty sure 2k won't push it

I keep reading this but I've never heard it
Post a video of the blower making noise under stress?
I currently have an air butler air filter running all day that's already pretty loud soooooo

Xen beta has been flexing on GPUs in 4k.
Really? It was hot shit last PC I built ..in 2002

>I have a 3 pin rear fan header in my case but all of the fan headers on my mobo are 4 pin. Will it be OK to plug them in regardless? I also have an unmarked 3 pin header
The 3 pin should only fit a certain way into the 4 pin headers. Your Mobo should figure out you don't have pwm fans but if it doesn't go into the BIOS and configure them for DC instead.

Alright, I didn't get any comments a few threads back so I'll try again.
>Ryzen 5 2600
>GIGABYTE B450M DS3H
>WD Blue 1tb m.2
>EVGA PSU 500w (80plus bronze)
>Sapphire Pulse RX 570 8gb
>GSkill Trident Z 8gb DDDR4 3200
>35000Php ~ 687USD
I'll be using this mostly for gaming. Is this good enough value for a 600-700USD budget? What adjustments should I make?

youtu.be/X4F7ihgZlu8
Here is how it sounds

>when it hits 100% fan speed

Attached: 1508892986412-1.jpg (600x624, 116K)

>234
>234
>234 1TB
This is a joke yes?

>32gb
>16 useless gb

That's what you get with Intel and Nvidia shills now, they are desperate since AMD is actually delivering for once.

t. Intel/Nvidia user.

My HDD is making this loud diskette-like noise when I'm running this data recovery program. Should I worry? CrystalDisk says the HD is healthy.

vocaroo.com/i/s0CIny7mkoed

Someone redpill me on AGESA 1.0.0.3AB for X570 boards. Some people say it gimps your cores, others say it "unlocks the full potential of Zen 2".

I'm pretty sure most of us who post some version of this OP also recommended the 7700k, 8400, 8700k, and maybe the 9900k in the past (though I regret recommending the 7700k. That thing aged fucking terribly).
But there's near-0 reasons to buy Intel anymore.
Even the "muh games" that people shill, some of the most demanding games, or the most popular games, both run better on AMD. Some of the games in benchmarks the shills spam like Far Cry 5 are actually stuttery on a 9700k, whereas the 3700X is consistently smooth across (virtually?) all games.

Disk checkers aren't going to detect that. It's an issue with the arm inside it. Yes, you should be worried. Get the data backed up.

No idea. Personally, if your current BIOS works, I'd wait a few weeks before things settle instead of beta testing your board's BIOS.

If I need 550 w and buy 1kw what happens to. Psu? Assume close to 24/7 duty cycle 10 year span.

Ditch the dark rock cooler and get a thermalright macho rev b or a scythe mugen V Rev B. Drop the noctua fans and pick up something cheaper

PSU can draw up to 1kW if necessary, but during normal operation, if say, 300 W are needed, then PSU will pull and distribute 300+ W, depending on efficiency.

1/4 meme and 3/4 shit will actually perform properly. At least I was able to get PBO-autoOC to work with ram on the newest bios for the MSI B450 Pro carbon board after the update.

Defrag and see how it sounds. If its still making that noise, be prepared for replacement.

I know this isn't necessarily a real issue, but since fucking when is Windows 10 pro $260 CAD? it used to be $180-ish.

10990k when
novideo 7nm when

thoughts? Just meant for basic steam games

Attached: Capture.jpg (1139x829, 99K)

Get an OEM key cheap somewhere. If it turns out to be pirated, MS will cancel support. After which you can get another... and another... and another. You could get 5 OEM keys, none of which are guaranteed to be cancelled by MS, and it will still cost less than a genuine key.

2021, maybe.

Seems like bait. Why is the 1060 "no prices available", too? How are you getting it?

just buy a ryzen 5 3600 its literally the same price as your cooler + cpu and way way better you idiot.

how big is the difference between the 2600x and the 3600x?
Newegg has a pretty good deal with t he 2600xs combos

Attached: Capture.png (723x330, 18K)

Nvidia 7nm should be coming in H2 2020, but will likely be low end first (similar to how the 1050Ti was on a better node than the other cards for maximum efficiency) Though things may be accelerated now that Navi is vastly more competitive than Nvidia thought it'd be.

Can be over 30%. Zen2 is a massive improvement.
2600/X is all you need if you're playing esports games, or just want to play at at least 60fps, though. There wouldn't be any point in paying more

What's the best watercooling kit at the lowest price point?

well after much grumbling about the prices, ive taken the amd pill and ordered a 5700xt

been a good 7 years on Nvidia, fingers crossed i dont run into too many driver issues

Is CPU Mark on sale on Steam?

How much faster is a 2080 Ti compared to the 2080 Super (aftermarket)

>install my new parts in my new case
>reuse my old gpu
>plug in monitor
>no signal, gpu fan is spinning
>gpu housing is literally being propped up by the chipset fan so it doesn't seat correctly

Attached: vzssq5c2befz.jpg (338x319, 11K)

cpu mark sounds like a fun game.

underrated

If I want to stream it would be a must to upgrade right?

What is a good program to monitor and track how much my cpu is being utilized. I want to see how many cores my games use and how much of each core is being used.

What game is it?

When are OEM 5700's coming!?

Attached: 1467049982074.png (931x943, 1.7M)

MSI Afterburner

like 15%