Haiku and the HaikuPorts project searching for devs and experts for the following areas:

Haiku and the HaikuPorts project searching for devs and experts for the following areas:
- CPP developers
- Go port developers
- Python experts
And many more!
Join today!
haiku-os.org/ and
github.com/haikuports/haikuports

Attached: 1E2C6630-8402-42BC-B7F9-71D0F59206F8.png (254x254, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

haiku-inc.org/
haiku-os.org/tags/contract/
dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/CodingGuidelines/SubmittingPatches
xref.plausible.coop/
code.metager.de/source/xref/haiku
dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/i18n
github.com/haikuports/haikuports/
github.com/haiku/infrastructure/
m.youtube.com/watch?v=rS6l7p86cyw
haiku-os.org/community/getting-involved/
haiku-os.org/development/
haiku-os.org/development/faq
dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/WikiStart
github.com/haikuports/haikuports/issues/3822
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Haiku
And how much are you willing to pay?? 2$ a month??

Can I use haiku as a daily driver

Yes
"Can"
You really, really shouldn't though
It is a good fast usb booting single user os with filesystem preservation though which is cool

Yes, we can do that. Please send your CV and your application to the Haiku devel mailing list or directly to the Haiku Inc. and we will contact you.
Do not forget to name the specific field which interests you.
Please find our addresses at the official page or at haiku-inc.org/

If somebody want to work on experimental features / additions the Haiku Inc. can found it, like it did with the Package Management and with the WebKit port. Send your application now!

You can find more info about earluer contracts here: haiku-os.org/tags/contract/

As the Serenity developer told in his recent video working on open source projects can give you usabe real-world programming experiences which could boost your career.

Haiku is a meritocratic open source project with a large variety of tasks. Even if you can't write code, you can still help! Haiku needs designers, (technical) writers, translators, testers... Get involved and help out!
-Contributing code:
If you're submitting a patch to us, please make sure you're following the patch submitting guidelines: dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/CodingGuidelines/SubmittingPatches
If you're having trouble finding something in the source tree, you can use one of our OpenGrok servers:
xref.plausible.coop/
code.metager.de/source/xref/haiku
- Contributing documentation
The main piece of documentation that still needs work are the API docs (found in the tree at docs/user). Just find an undocumented class, write documentation for it, and submit a patch.
-Contributing translations
See: dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/i18n
- Contributing software ports
See: github.com/haikuports/haikuports/
- Contributing to our infrastructure
See: github.com/haiku/infrastructure/

They should hire someone to write their C API

Are you up to the task?

That was unironically some really inspiring advice.

is this legit?
also, is remote work possible? im really interested, developed a lot for beos back in the day

Link to the video?

they have a bunch of google soc bux so it would make sense that they can pay for contributions now

Is SoC really that good? I know they have a somewhat formal mentorship thing but wouldn't you get some approximation of that just as an independent contributor talking to people in the project?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=rS6l7p86cyw

SoC paid by the Haiku Inc, so there is no place for bullshit. The candidate have to present real work and get mentor support to get things done. If the candidate cannot deliver the contract will be cancelled. It is serious business with complete support from the inc, the devs and from the user base side.

This is legit as far as possible.
If you wish to work on a specific field (drivers, browser, port) contact the Inc and the devel mailing list. You have to have the required experiences and a great proposal. The Inc can even organize a bounty program for you.
Some developer had a long time contract. Everything is possible if you are up to the task.
Ofc it means remote work, Haiku got no office yet.

Thanks
Oh you're really a part of Haiku? I thought someone was just here larping lol

Visit the Haiku IRC channel and ask the ops. Or write an email to the dev mailing list.

OK, how do I start?
Is there a list of things to be done?
Do these git issues count?

Start here: haiku-os.org/community/getting-involved/
and here: haiku-os.org/development/
and here: haiku-os.org/development/faq
If you have any question there is always somebody who can give you some hints at the IRC and at the mailing lists.

What if we don’t have experience and just have a few ports we’d like to work on bc we use those packages everyday on other OSes?

Btw if somebody contacts the Inc it could take reasonable amount if tine to get an answer because the lack of manpower. Patience.

You can propose a port, but to get paid it must be reasonable. Otherwise you can port your favorite programs and send the patches to the HaikuPorts repo as a volunteer.

And here is a website, you can find easy tasks for beginners, and some ideas for the future: dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/WikiStart
But as i told already: you can propose own ideas too.

“reasonable”
Money is for fucking retards who live fix to fix like drug addicted monkeys. Fuck you I know how relevant the shit I’m porting is but I’m not going to waste my time trying to port dating sims for yall nerds. Enjoy your academic software but in the meantime cut it with the “compensation” meme bc we all know that money is just going to another hypothetically used c++ api or programming shit that is completely irrelevant to everyone but the asshole who created it and goes on to make a single y combinator post about why you should use their way of doing something that’s been done a hundred times before

Reasonable means the Inc wont pay you for porting a trivial program, but they will consider every non-trivial proposal, like thermal-sensor driver, or hda (sound driver) extension for better hw support. You can however go full-deep like amd/nvidia driver, 3d acceleration, audio over hdmi, etc. Or make the Haiku Qt port OpenGl aware, create native I/O for mpv/VLC, or just port your favorite program.

Bump. BeOS is the future.

Sort of.

It doesn't have hardware acceleration and security is an afterthought.

You know what? Go and study how Haiku works currently, learn about its past, its features, its feature plans, get know how other systems solves the security questions and use your imagination and work out how an ideal security system/ multiuser supports should looks like, without any code. Do not forget sbout the corner cases during it, please.
Then write a proposal how this should be solved and send a draft to Haiku. Maybe you can even get paid for dreaming!

Does anyone know if Haiku needs a particular python feature implemented? I am trying to strengthen my skills in python and this seems like a fun way to do that.

Haiku definetely needs Python experts: github.com/haikuports/haikuports/issues/3822
Feel free to join!

...Waddle, is that you?

Anyway, I've already looked at implementing hardware acceleration and it seems too hard for my current skillset in C/C++. I'm the user here who wants to work with python instead.

No, he have better language skills than mine.

Haiku is not interesting and your thread is boring

You're being a meanie, Haiku is cool and you're probably not being your best self.