Should i start learning C or Rust?

Should i start learning C or Rust?

Attached: 35959408-cdd5f138-0ca5-11e8-877d-dafe60088b3f.jpg (636x511, 163K)

C

Are you cute OP?

Are you tranny OP?

i am both and i prefer rust =3

C++ or Rust, only a retard would learn C.

C, and only then Rust or C++

One is an old language that is vastly used in high end products and is proven to be useful and the other is a language invented by trannies so they can shitpost on Jow Forums. It's an easy choise

choise chi lan chou shu qi xa lei gon qu

>Embedded is for retards

Attached: 1529366365814.jpg (499x663, 64K)

C for realistic opportunities. Rust for futureproof and academic satisfaction.

>Rust
You will never be a woman

Bitch, I don't speak chowmein.

Why else would you accept a lower salary for doing more difficult stuff?

fuck you, asshole

>70k - 200k a year for embedded engineers

>Meanwhile Rust
>Crickets.wav

Post feet pls

Also C first. You get a better understanding of how everything else works even if you don't master it

C and then Rust.
C is guaranteed to be useful no matter where you go, Rust is up and coming, and a nice high level language.
Learn C to a good level, and then you will appreciate the abstractions of rust even more.

Webshit pays more than anything low level.

>Rust is up and coming,
Like your sex change, then an hero.

I fucking love C, it's extremely satisfying to do pointer arithmetic, dynamic memory allocation and dealing with structs, enums and unions.
Overall, I highly recommend C, it's fucking awesome.

>Webshit
Only backend.

Goodluck competing with gazzilion frontend css, js scriptfags.
You are easily replaceable.

Rust compiles to machine code and has/will have much better logic analyzers. No reason to use C.

Javascript > Python > C++> C > >Java > Rust

>muh safety
>muh analyzers
C has valgrind, and Clang's static analyzer, combine that with good coding practices and you never have any problems.
No reasons to use your moronic, overly-complicated languages.

Frontend pays about as much as backend, as long as you're not a junior, though.
Besides games (which pay shit because of the "enthusiasts"), embedded is the lowest paying field.

C, then C++ or Rust.
Rust is a hard, sophisticated language. You won't be able to "get it" if you don't have experience or theoretical knowledge.
Also rust should not be the only language you know. It's just a niche language with limited usecases. It's really powerful, but it's not going to guarantee you job.

I-i get 40k...

Some pajeets could do that with JS tranny.
wow such innovation.

Attached: notTerrible.jpg (1024x576, 60K)

Static ad hoc analyzers will never guarantee as much safety as Rust compiler.

bruh get ur waifu fantasies the fuck outta this board and let the socks do some programming smfh

>Frontend pays
HAHAHAHAAHAAAHHAAAHAAHA

>lmao just don't make mistakes xDDDD
Yeah, not like there has been any major vulnerability in serious software due to buffer overflows, mismanaged memory etc.

Imagine learning embedded development for years and then making less than a bootcamp js tranny, and then seething so hard about it.

Cope.
Clang's static analyzer is extremely good and detects most of the bugs right away.
Valgrind is extremely good at detecting memory leaks.
Most of the morons who complain about C programming being hard don't use any of these tools and don't design their programs properly from the start then cry about how their programs are filled with vulnerabilities.

C if you want to work on existing projects, Rust if you want to reinvent every wheel.

>Why should i have the big boy bike if i can have side wheels

Fag even in high level languages you need to watch out for that.
Even java and C# still use pointers.

And knowing how to avoid buffer overflows are like the first thing you learn jesus.

Attached: 1528146507904.jpg (1087x1080, 112K)

So what you're saying is that pretty much all major C projects are written by retards?

>Js developer earn more than 200k a year
ok proof it to me.

>all major
[[citation needed]]

Well you are a tranny, your world view is already retarded that buffer overflows are hard.

>can't even compile itself on 32-bit

So you are saying even if you try to force a buffer overflow it will correct it immediately?
Not give an error?

That means you produce half finished product with horrid data management.

I know Java, Python and a bit of JS already. However, uni doesnt teach C so i wanted to know if its still worth it.

You still need JNI with C/C++.
So better learn it.

learn Rust if you're cute

Attached: 2019-07-18_14:09:37.png (292x225, 6K)

>c in 2019
itt samefag shitposter

Does Rust have a formally verified compiler?

Yeah, they are good. In practice they might not make much difference.
But they will never guarantee safety. Rust guarantees your code is safe and so all your dependencies. It's all part of same environment.

Then I guess you might go for rust, but I'd still recommend to learn C first. It will give you valuable insights.

Not sure, but I think I've seen formal proof of stdlib safety.

Evidently they are not good enough. TLA+ and SPARK exist for a reason. Those meme analyzers are just a heuristic, a good intention, not to be taken seriously
>overly complicated
I don't trust C developers.
People write software 50x faster and safer than Cucks by using JavaScript as glue for algorithms written in C/Fortran/C++. Yes, you can call C code in javascript.
32 is dead and can be forgotten easily.

Rust is a sophisticated language, most all Rust programmers already know C and C++, very few if any C and C++ programmers are capable of even learning he basics of Rust

C++ programmers are a cult of dunning kruger luddites

Valgrind isn't very reliable when you have large projects that does more than one thing. You would literally have to sit and click buttons like a monkey if you have a GUI for example, sure sounds like a great use of your time.

C, I'll respect you more.

This. Rust is just another language unless you're a C or especially C++ programmer.

Yea especially with a community like this.

Attached: absolute state of Rust.png (1080x1920, 278K)

Unlike C, Rust is not a beginner level language. So start with C.

Although better option is to start with C++. C has no relevance anymore. It's an arcane language used for very niche needs and legacy codebase maintainance.

why do you post using an OS written in C then

obsessed

Which is why programmers create regression tests for their projects, fire up those tests with valgrind and that's it.
>very few if any C and C++ programmers are capable of even learning he basics of Rust
"Look at me! I'm so smart no one in the C or C++ communities can learn my language"

>uni doesnt teach C
how is this even possible
how do you talk about operating systems? security? HPC? RT? i'm at a loss user...

>C has no relevance anymore
>Wut is embedded

cope

You get called a nigger and a cunt every day here, so you can indeed enjoy some innocent comments. Or just ignore them.
Because my operating system started being written 30-40 years ago and is still being written in C for backwards compatiblity.

>Full of SJW
>This won't be or is problem

>what is embedded
embedded/kernel dev is a small niche. Furthermore C++ and Rust is more than capable of handling embedded. Embedded is not a magic black box.

>Wut is IOT

embedded
see

If C was relevant, the C compilers wouldn't be written in C++

?
Embedded is C++ territory.

This. I am retarded c boomer and I know c++ is better but its too complicated for me so I call it bloated

Why are you making it seem like Rust is some sophisticated expert-level language?
I gave it a spin a few years ago, it wasn't hard or anything. The concepts were extremely trivial to understand, the syntax was moronically complicated though, if you consider its unnecessary complexity as difficulty, then you might have a point, its syntax makes it harder to read and maintain than C.

C syntax is disgusting, especially when it comes emulating polymorphism with void* and delegates.

Attached: C grugs.png (1200x699, 345K)

No its fullstack webdev with Embedded.
In the next decade or if not now, you will have at least have 5 products working on these technologies in your house.

With Java/Scala/Kotlin, C/C++, C#, JS, CSS.
So C/C++ will be even more valuable cause its the glue that keeps it all together.

>if you consider its unnecessary complexity as difficulty, then you might have a point, its syntax makes it harder to read and maintain than C.
more Dunning Kruger logic:
>its too difficult for me to understand therefore its harder to maintain

>No its fullstack webdev with Embedded.
Thanks to ootb WASM support, Rust and C++ is very capable of doing these.

just as I've thought, for all the talk about Rust being good for low level programming, it is not mature enough for a working OS.

any you know why is that? because why the fuck would you throw out 40 years of tested and well-written code that _works_ to write it anew in a new language that doesn't even have stable ABI.

Why would you use Rust if there are gazzilion libs already for C/C++.

As a rust programmer I'd say C
Learn first hand what it means memory management and memory leak
And then you can learn rust
You'll understand more than those who use rust because "xd it's the new C++"

Absolutely niggerlicious syntax. This is coming from a C++ dev.

Start with C++ or Java. C is not relevant.
>webdev with C/C++
oh no it's a retard

Syntax is much simpler than C++ and doesn't change every 2 years. Rust is C++: For Real This Time. I'm not saying it's sophisticated but the tools behind the code certainly are.
>that _works_
Not formally verified. A lot of it isn't even audited. Projects are ran by any combination of spergs, boomers, traditionalists, wishful thinkers. You can e-mail some kernel devs from microsoft, linux, and apple to ask what they'd prefer right now.
I'm an embedded dev and I much prefer Rust even though my boss cucks me out of it.

>Doesn't know java uses c/c++ through JNI
>To get data from embedded systems

Attached: 1530607611071.jpg (600x532, 40K)

Yeah, keep throwing ad hominem around, that's how the Rust community faces criticism anyways.

Estrogen pills are hella of a drug.

are you a nigger?

What exactly are you trying to imply? C/C++ uses asm to utilize devices, does it mean OP should start using plain assembly?
You are dumb.

If you don’t know C you should learn C. That question is like a construction trainee asking if they should learn how to use a tunnel excavator or a power drill

>Valgrind isn't very reliable when you have large projects that does more than one thing.
What do you think Jow Forums is composed of?

College is full of SJWs. Hop hop hop! Drop out and flip burgers!

>And knowing how to avoid buffer overflows are like the first thing you learn
Not really.

Beginners should not have to worry about manual allocation/deallocation. In fact most of the programmers don't really have to bother with it.

Where do i mention assembly?
You NEED this language for that kind of work and portability is where i'm getting at.

>College is full of SJWs. Hop hop hop! Drop out and flip burgers!

>Go to the real world
>Get fired for you retarded world view

Already know 12 now.

>this language
Which one? Pretty sure C is not a need, it's your want. Don't impose your C autism on normal functioning people.

Furthermore web development in C++ sucks major balls.

Not sensing sarcasm is a sign of autism.

Dude lets say you have to work in java and need to get data from a pump or a tv.

There is a chip there written in C cause you need that code as small as possible and finished quickly, in C you can make something really complex with only 2000 bytes.

So you contact that chip through a cable/bluethoot in C++ cause that's what JNI and its more portable any way.

Then to your backend Java application where you send it to your phone app.

Don't find it a laughing matter lots of zoomer lives got destroyed.

Rust is really hard to learn and understand for people with no experience in systems and functional programming. It's not impossible, but it's harder than most languages.
On the other hand C++ is hard to learn and understand for people with no C++ experience as many features there are a result of wrong past decisions.

There is already an operating system written in Rust.

You can use these libs in Rust too.

>that's what JNI uses

Oh woe is me.

Not really. Sarcasm is only detectable when it's expressed in a ridiculous/out of character kind of way, which is pretty much impossible in an anonymous text post.
>poes law

Looks like C++ and Java is all you need?
Also Rust lets you interface with C with no issues?