Is reactOS /ourOS/?

Is reactOS /ourOS/?

Attached: 1200px-ReactOS_logo.svg.png (1200x662, 364K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_room_design
github.com/reactos/reactos/pulls?q=is:pr milestone:"XBOX Boot" is:closed
theregister.co.uk/2019/07/03/reactos_windows_research_kernel_claim/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

That's a funny way to spell GNU \Linux

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as "GNU/Linux", is in fact, just "Linux". GNU is not an operating system unto itself, but rather a collection of free components of a fully functioning Linux system made useful by the Linux kernel.

Many computer users run a modified version of the Linux system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Linux which is widely used today is often called GNU/Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is actually mostly just the Linux system, with a few GNU components added.

Attached: download (3).jpg (1024x576, 54K)

yes

I have recently started calling it just GNU. It's the original name. It's also more accurate and shorter. "GNU/Linux" was too generous to Linux anyway.

Seems like all smart, capable and productive people here are using it, so yes, is /ourOS/

Did we ever figure out if it really is a rip-off of leaked source code?

>written in JavaScript
it just doesn't get any more based

underrated!

>"GNU/Linux" was too generous to Linux anyway.
Linus is not a community movement or a company

Attached: 1.png (990x63, 6K)

ReactOS is obsolete at this point due to how Wine has developed in recent years and due to its own snail rate of development. They could very well just stop wasting their own and everyone else's time.

Whatever, it still has JavaScript in it

Sounds like somebody is a little envious

Attached: catsock.jpg (768x1024, 73K)

...of what exactly?

I'm probably very wrong here so please correct me, but won't ReactOS reach the same level of performance than Windows someday (assuming it won't die/get killed before that happens), because of it using an actual Windows kernel?

You question is essentially asking
>If the developers don't fuck up, won't it actually work?
Of course it would. The problem is that they've been around for many years now and it's still shit.

It's not.
Been audited many of times and even had to halt development for 3 years because they got tied up in court with microsofts lawyers.

They used clean root reverse engineering which is legal in the USA.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_room_design

It should be know that what china does is not clean room design.
ReactOS implements the standard windows APIs which are not closed down.
They just implement them in a different way but it meets the same spec which allows drivers to work.

For example lets say that microsoft has a machine to turn water to wine and you can't see inside.

If you make a machine also that does the same thing but does it in a totally different that is legal and you adhered to the "API" that programs/drivers can interface with.

To follow the analogy imagine that the two "programs" were a water resivour for input of MS machine.

Then at the bottom of the machine there was a collector for wine.

We can just as easily replace the MS machine with our own machine as low as the wine flow is the same coming out.

It doesn't matter what process we use inside the machine as long as the outcome is the same.

That's what clean room engineering is.
You produce the same output with the same input but it doesn't have to be the same process.

MS way is like 1+2+3+4+5=15
ReactOS way is 1x15=15

Different approach same outcome.
That's how a API works.
Now stop spreading this FUD please.

Attached: reactos.png (1000x1000, 234K)

>You produce the same output with the same input but it doesn't have to be the same process.
>MS way is like 1+2+3+4+5=15
>ReactOS way is 1x15=15
This example makes zero sense because you have different inputs in both cases

I don't think you understood.
WINE will never be able to extract the same level of performance than Windows or ReactOS by extension due to it using the Windows Kernel.
Is that correct, or not? If no, why?

That's what I was asking.

>WINE will never be able to extract the same level of performance than Windows or ReactOS by extension due to it using the Windows Kernel.
False. A multitude of applications and games run better in WINE than natively in Windows.

Alright, now that's amazing.
Do you have any examples? I'm curious.
The last thing I remember seeing was a hit of like 30-40 FPS in GTA V. I guess things must have changed a lot since then.

No, it's ReactOS.

why should I use it over win 7/10 or Kubuntu?

>Do you have any examples? I'm curious.
Nier Automata is one that everyone knows. In my personal experience, I've had Garfield Kart run over 30% better.

But when do we adapt Unix tools to work with a Linux kernel? GNU stuff was meant to be a makeshift solution anyway.

>why should I use it over ... Kubuntu?
Because it can't get worse than using a flavour of a distro that makes it shit, which says something, considering that default is Gnome.

AMD will become relevant before this does
JUST WAIT

but where does user download...

Attached: 1557416665903.gif (267x199, 573K)

>Nier Automata is one that everyone knows.
Apparently, you can't use Kaldaien's FAR on Linux?
How does it work when compared to Windows with FAR then?

ive been watching this shit for 15 years. its dead.

It is not dead.
They almost finished USB, ports to Xbox and 64bits

xbox?

Wow now all we need to do is wait for USB to take off and maybe we have something

... In a few years
... Maybe

Yes. There is work being done on porting it to the original XBOX.

>food analogy
Imagine being at computers

Attached: 47e84ce8ef3cdd29d2ac29c617a69f1d07908fb5.png (235x225, 5K)

I'm interested in that, getting games (such as Melty Blood: Actress Again) to work and the AC97 sound driver provided by VirtualBox to work after rebooting once (with the distorted audio being fixed later on).

>use reactos because your os is shit
discarded opinion

github.com/reactos/reactos/pulls?q=is:pr milestone:"XBOX Boot" is:closed

only 2 months. it is almost ready

I'd be a lot more interested if they were trying to implement Windows 7 equivalent instead of XP equivalent

>os written in javascript
yeah i dont think so, you dumb zoomer.

Or they could take the best of two worlds and make an XP clone with kernel compatible with modern software

I just want Aero desu

I guess they should reach some early Windows 7 look in 20 to 30 years.

yeah but an ms engineer said they have a ton of same exact naming style for function calls and variables, down to the capitalization and stuff that isn't in the public api, copied straight from the nt source code that got leaked a few years back

>Did we ever figure out if it really is a rip-off of leaked source code?
>It's not.
Explain.
theregister.co.uk/2019/07/03/reactos_windows_research_kernel_claim/

ReactOS/NT

>less than 0.6% javascript is too much

Redox is

Has anyone ever gotten XAMPP and freeSSHd to work on ReactOS?

It truly is. ReactOS is what a lot of people are truly expecting from the FOSS movement (an Open Source Windows), yet a lot of people don't know about it, or if they know, they don't give a fuck.