Shaving technology

Shaving technology
was looking into double-edged razors and everywhere I ask dudes seem to recommend japanese blades. but what about the holder itself? is Feather any good? Share you experiences here. is it really made in japan? reviews seem to praise it
Right now I have an electric braun I use daily and a 5 blade bic but I want to ditch them for something less expensive

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (500x1000, 93K)

merkur
edwin jagger
feather
or some chinkshit like qshave

as blades go, I like voskhods a bit more, but feather are excellent too

thank you, you're 2nd person to recommend edwin jagger. I think I'll order the Feather just to try it out and if I won't slit my throat I will look into more expensive full-metal holders like you suggested

Feather blades are notoriously aggressive af user

You might want to try the Rapira Platinum Lux, or maybe Astra greens if you're looking for something cheap and readily available

Also, can't go wrong with a Merkur 34C for a beginner razor, it's fool proof, very smooth shaver.
If you're looking for something cheap just to try, you could look around your local Walmart for the new Wilkinson Sword Classic, it's cheap and feels better than plastic razors.

Attached: L0303633.jpg (800x800, 145K)

Wilkinson Sword is a no go because of Gillette bullshit. and no Walmarts in my area
Thanks for the holder suggestions, I have a question though - can I use it with a simple shaving cream from the "bottle"? This whole lathering and oil thing is kinda intimidating

Oil is a meme, shaving soaps aren't
Get yourself a nice synthetic brush, something along the lines of the Razorock Plissoft, and a nice shaving soap.

Honestly, using an actual shaving soap will give you a much better experience than the canned stuff

Where are you located? Maybe I can recommend you something closer to you

I have the long-handled 23C (180) and it's comfy.

I go several days between shaving since I'm lazy and that would eat up a $5 cartridge in one shave. If tried to keep using it I'd get terrible razor burn.
Now it's a 2 cent blade.
Shaving takes a little longer than with a bazillion blade cartridge as you have to stroke slower and just let the blade do its work, but it's nice.

Astra are a cheap and reliable starter blade. Feathers are not good for first time. I'm currently using rockwell blades and they are good. Use soap, it's very easy and there are many videos on youtube you can learn good technique. Your shave time will begin very large but as you get practice and if you shave everyday you'll get it under 10 minutes.

Thats bullshit. My beardis thick as fuck and feathers cut like butter. Now british and mexican are shit. Definatly german or feathers. Merkur is legit though

You fuckers make everything so god damn complicated
>maggard safety razor starter pack
>can of barbasol
done.

how long does a blade usually last? I shave like every other day

>Feather blades are notoriously aggressive af user
Uh oh! Retard alert! Feathers are sharp as fuck, and sharpness != aggression you stupid mong

I feel like this safety razor meme is the pinnacle of hipster.

Head to DorcoUSA.com
They're the same razor supplier that Dollar Shave Club uses.

Their 6Plus is the exact same bullshit that DSC sends out in the executive package without the branding on it.

They even have your hipster safety razors.

That's where I get my shit.

I'm not sure why its hip to make everything complicated and obsessive nowadays.

Also is there a safety razor that would serve me a lifetime? I don't want it to rust or begin developing "shaking" blades in a year or two

I've used the same $40 electric razor I bought from Wal-Mart 10 years ago
The battery won't hold a charge but it still works plugged into the wall
Never needed new blades
Always gets me smooth enough
No matter what razor I tried they always cut my silky soft white skin
1 blade, 2 blade, 6 blades, it didn't matter
Did I mention I've never had to buy new heads?
>spending money on something you already own repeatedly
I shiggy diggy

I'll get 6-8 uses out of an Astra blade before it starts feeling dull.
Whenever I'm in the habit of shaving my legs, it lasts 3-4 uses.

>Also is there a safety razor that would serve me a lifetime? I don't want it to rust or begin developing "shaking" blades in a year or two

Look for old Gilette's on ebay. I can recommend the Gilette Super Speed for beginners.

I was told that one blade would literally last years I guess not
thanks

If it's only good for say 10 uses than what is the whole point of safety razors? I can use one disposable bic for like a month wtf

Disposables are terrible.

One blade straight razors
The old fashioned knife looking looking kind
They do last forever just sharpen them
An electric razor would still be better

Btw
This is the technology board
Razors have absolutely nothing to do with technology unless they're electric
Gtfo

okay but why would I drop say 5 blade bic for a safety razor that would serve me LESS?
I already have $25 shitty braun that does an excellent job
I'd delete my OP post but I can't anymore so go fuck yourself and shill AMD in the other thread

I used to use mach3/dollar shaving club razors but moved to a safety razor 4 or 5 months ago.
Best
Decision
Ever

No more in grown hairs or cut skin.
Its way cheaper and the blades are sharper and give me a better shave. I might spend a little more on shaving cream but way way offset by savings on blades.

Can't recommend it enough

>Gillette
No

old Gillette is good

cool. how long does a single blade last in your case?

Completely depends on the brand/type of blade, Gillette Silver's last like 2 shaves, other ones (I forget the name) last me 2 weeks.

The shave is much much better than a multi blade system imo

If the cost doesn't bother you there is no reason to switch from a cartridge to a DE.
For many of us the cost of cartridges ARE an issue, and you know what's really shitty? Chopping your face up with dull cartridges because you can't afford new ones. Having your entire face on fire with razor burn with patches of beard all over your face because there wasn't enough sharpness left to cut them is not a fun time.
A DE has more expensive initial outlay but after that it's 15 cents a blade. You can shave with a fresh edge every single shave for 7.5 cents each. Shave twice per edge and you still have a nice sharp edge going and it's under 4 cents.
That is luxury on the dirt cheap, since you have the shave of a fresh cartridge every single shave for only a few pennies. The only downside is it takes slow, relaxing strokes to really get a good shave with a DE while you can go at your face quickly and aggressively with a cartridge and get a nice shave.

Since I can't afford to replace a cartridge every few shaves I love my DE, where I can change the blade every second shave for a really luxurious shave every time.

I found these blades to be really smooth
I think you can get them for $15 for a 100 pack

Attached: gillette-nacet-stainless-730x552.jpg (730x552, 64K)

....and the whole idea of using safety blades gone out of window.
I thought blades last at least half a year or so but if not then why the hell would I bother to use it in the first place when perfectly fine bic costs like $10 for 10 5x blades
i guess it depends on location because here it is cheaper to buy a bic or gillette than a proper safety razor
I'm not shilling anything or trying to convince people to use something else but I guess my granddad was right when he said "I've never been more happier" when he switched to shitty disposables from safety razors when he was like 65.

Thank you all for replies and I guess I'll stick to an Apple of shaving which are 5 blade cartridges. maybe I'll order a safety razor just to see if I'm missing out on anything but overall I'm kinda disappointed

I have that holder
Doin good for 2 years straight without problems

>would serve me LESS
It doesn't serve you less. Cartridges are only "good" for a couple of shaves. Sure, you can shave with one for months but it won't be "good". In the same notion, high quality razors will be "good" for like 5-10 shaves but "usable" for months, generally degrading much slower than cartridges do.
Given the price, swapping razors frequently is much more affordable than doing so with cartridges.

Whatever's the cheapest stuff.

this is really dumb
more than a year ago, for 15 usd i ordered a plastic dorco razor and a 50 razor sample pack and im barely halfway through it. buy normal shaving cream from your local drugstore for like 5 bucks and youre set for a long time. i can drop my razor as much as i like and it will never break
its shaving why do people spend so much thought and money on this shit

WTF there's a pill for shavers? I thought Gillette was the only shaver in the world

feather is a bit too sharp for beginers. i would recommend astra blues for a beginner, but i started out with astra greens.

not everyone can just rub a towel to make their facial hair fall off, I bet I had a thicker beard at 20 than you do now

>Wilkinson Sword is a no go because of Gillette bullshit.
Wilkinson Sword has nothing to do with Gillette/Proctor and Gamble as far as I know.

Imagine using razors in 2019.

Attached: 1513802364348.png (506x606, 20K)

Most will last a lifetime if you look after them, but you probably want to look for something made from stainless steel (Razorock Gamechanger, or Rockwell 6S) or brass (Karve "Christopher Bradley").

yeah thanks to hrt & electrolysis i don't have to shave my face anymore

Here's the top shaving technology.

Attached: 41xnyg3b6lL.png (732x500, 193K)

+1 for edwin jagger here, although I upgraded to a straight razor.

Some people grow a forest every 18 hours and shaving sucks no matter what they do.

I have to hotsoak my face after having a shower, and even then I have to use fresh blades very carefully to get anything close to "smooth" without tearing my skin apart.

Karve Christopher Bradley with OC "C" plate

Great brass razor. Reasonably priced heirloom razor made of brass. Just be sure to dry it after each use so it doesn't turn black on you.

As a starting razor, Wilkinson sword make excellent plastic-Teflon ones bundled with blades. Its a great combo and the frame doesn't keep warm under hot water. Its like $5 on Amazon. You should buy some good razors like polsilver made in Russia.
When you get comfortable you can move on to adjustable frames with wide-cleaance heads. Those are good, run them over hot water and the frame stays warm for the entire shave.

Get yourself a blade sampler pack. Just because one person said that x blade is good doesn't mean said blade will work great for you.

This set my wife gifted me is great.

Attached: IMG_20171225_214144_01-1196x1240.jpg (1196x1240, 252K)

>plot twist: user is a woman

Hell yeah!

Here is a small bit of my collection.

Attached: 20190719_034658.jpg (4128x2322, 2.9M)

>having a beard
no thanks, fuck that shit

Attached: 1538008940022.jpg (612x498, 63K)

Mühle mate

hes had it for 10 years it probably just pulls the hairs out at this point kek

Attached: D1XwPQ-V4AAFm_M.jpg (605x1105, 83K)

where do you buy the mini cros that holds the blade?

Attached: 63568435_p0.jpg (506x800, 106K)

congratz you managed to make something as masculine as fucking beards gay. Congratz on this. Seriously

>voskhods
good choise. I like them too but I decided to test all I can get my hands on. Currently on persona. Seems to be blunt as my kitchen knife.

Just get edvin jager de89. Those are mild and safe first razor.
If you have really tough beard you will need something agressive like something from muhle and I think merkur.
As for blades - they cheap. Feathers are expensive but most of others are cheap. Just buy EVERY pack you can and test it out. What blades you will like will depend on your skin and beard.
Soap. Got good soap saponificio/tailor of old bond street. Start with boar brush.

>I thought blades last at least half a year or so
They are so cheap you can use blade per shave and still save money compared to even cheap disposables.
that having said. It is posible to.sharpen used blades. Just no one does that because blades are dirt cheap.

All those brushes look unused.

The stench of poverty

Having a few brushes to rotate through prolongs their life significantly.

Dubs of truth I have a Muhle R89, nazi German quality, also I dont buy any fag soap or cream just raw dog cold water shave like a fucking man not some radditor bitch

Yes... but they seem unused.
Maybe it was hard water or shitty first soap but my brush has obvious white residue at root. Maybe I just too idiot to clean it properly.

You can safely use the same blade for 2-3 weeks, both sides. That user is just paranoid.

i was gonna shitpost on r/wickededge but thats too much work for some dumb reddit karma amirite fellow s o y boys

Attached: travel kit.jpg (1280x1440, 258K)

>recommend japanese blades
I had a Japanese razor so sharp you didn't even need to use soap.

What's the easiest way to shave my back?

Chainsaw

if you cant just use a 5 for a dollar disposable razor and whatever random bar of soap you have present, youre a faggot.

>stench of poverty
stench of plebbit

And this user does not know why you need soap...

anyone here use double edged razors for shaving their head?

how many uses do you get out of a blade? i've tried merkur platinums, astra, and feather, and they all barely make it two shaves before i feel them tugging the shit out of my skin. do i really have to replace blades that often when shaving my head?

i do a quick head shave every single day as so it's not like i'm cutting through days worth of growth, and i only shave my the contours of my beard and the neck area every few days so i'm barely using the razor on my face at all

Try going bald so you need to shave less.

Astra are good but FYI they're owned by the same parent company as Gillette

that's the reason i shave my head kek, i'm mostly bald on top and still my blades don't last that long

Where are you located?
Nice fucking try you fucking glownigger. You're so radiative even your neighbours are getting cancer.

Attached: file.png (283x283, 120K)

Joking asside - I was going to start shawing my head once I have fully bald spot... then hair stopped falling out :/
As for your question. No idea. Try different blades maybe

You ever tried putting those brushes up your ass haha

He's more like a shill than some kind of government spook

Tugging is more than likely caused from poor technique. Make sure your razor is maintaining a proper cutting angle throughout the shave. You should get more than 2 head shaves. Try a higher quality soap that will provide better slickness.

Your aversion to soap is telling.

>buy gilette fusion
>wash with hot water, apply foam, do other stuff for 10 minutes
>super clean shave
>cartridge lasts over a month with daily use

Shaving luddites are retarded

Attached: iRm7iQt.jpg (1181x864, 92K)

>Gillette
The best a ma'am can get.

big part of the reason I switched was to stop giving money to gilette after those retarded "woke" ads they ran

If I tried getting the shave as close as I do with a cartridge razor by using a safety razor I'd bleed out and die. Safety is only fine for "well it looks like I shaved" kind of shave or for body hair.

IDGAF about ads, stop watching the electric jew.

Fucking autists. You don't need fucking japanese blades to shave.

Leg shavers, how do you prevent hair clogging in your drain?

Less expensive is NOT what you want - you want quality. I'll make it simple...

Electric - Brauns have been shit the last 5-7 years or so, now chinkshit instead of true german. The ONLY worthwhile electric is the Panasonic top of the line - Arc5. Hint, get the one with the premium cleaning system because as I know the auto cleaner option is NOT available a la carte. Its the best electric I've used and I've used pretty much all of them on the high end,

Feather - Yes, they make some fuckawesome shaving equipment. They have absolutely beautiful double-edged razors but to be honest you can just get somehting like edwin jagger or merkur for the handle, and then Feather blades. Note, Feather blades are some of the only platinum coated blades out there so they're great for comfort, but they're also fucking sharp -like amazingly so. So be careful, but they give a great shave with great comfort. There are some other blades from old school german, japanese, or (to some) Russian manufacture that may or may not be your preference. Oh, Feather also makes "artist club" single-edged razors (ie straight razor) types, but like they're advertised I do NOT suggest them for anyone who is not already an expert with standard double edge AND has been trained to shave with a straight razor -I've seen people try to go big swinging dick and hurt themselves.

If you go analog (or even if you get Arc5 which can shave wet or dry) do NOT underestimate the use of a good shaving brush and soap. Do not use whatever chemical bullshit is at the drugstore . Willing to spend? Get a Mason Pearson Silver Tip Badger shaving brush - its pretty much the best hting you can do for lathering your face. Next, you want top quality organic (not simply some shit using the word but the actual certification - which is HARD as fuck to find on cosmetic) shaving soap. I personally prefer Chagrin Valley Soap and Salve company (who makes a fuckload of great soaps and shampoos) shaving soap.

There ya go

I don't shave my legs, but when I'm trimming my pubes I use pic related

Attached: drain.jpg (896x545, 44K)

I should also mention that if you don't want/can't afford real badger, Chagrin Valley has a pretty decent synthetic as synthetic shaving brushes go.

>IDGAF about ads

Then why would you buy from an "A" brand that spend >90% of your money on ads?
Just buy some cheap clone you silly Goy.

What do you do with the remainings then? Prepare a dish?

Put on the side of the tub and discard when done

>organic

Why the fuck would that make any difference whatsoever?
It doesn't even make any difference in food (as many scientific studies show).
It certainly doesn't make any difference in chemical products like soap.

>buy some cheap clone

Name one that has blades as good as Gilette and a single blade at the back.

The no-names they sell in my supermarket.

Got some test scores for that?

Lots of cosmetic products have a lot of bullshit in them that is between inane crappy filler and actually harmful - endocrine disruption and many other features. Go look at some $300 uber expensive cosmetic picked up from Nordstrom or whatnot and then investigate half the chemicals in it - most are bullshit colorants, fillers, and other useless shit. Thanks to big money lobbying, in cosmetics you can put the word "organic" on the box if it has ONE certified ingredient (ie an extract) in a whole host of shit, and "natural" has no real meaning at all. If a cosmetic actually has an organic certification however and/or a simple list of ingredients with no fillers, you're getting the actual benefit of what's included.

The whole thing about food is just plain wrong - there are many studies, especially public funded ones out of Europe and elsewhere that prove the opposite - more health benefits, less exposure to pesticides/herbicides and other toxic shit. Lobbying and agribusiness fucked this one up good - remember how for years they promised that glyphosate was totally safe and only this year after years upon years of data being pushed out did some regulatory bodies and courts agree? Its like what happened with cigarettes for years - money being paid to say the bullshit isn't harmful.

Regarding soap, its actually more important than you think. The vast majority of "soaps" sold today are NOT soap (ie saponified oils) but instead a detergent which is harsher on your skin (ie anything even tangentially related to sulfates or the thousands of other detergents they stuff in after people figured out sulfates were irritating etc). This is atop the filler and other issues noted above.

Tehere's a lot of data out there, but look at the EWG's Skin Deep cosmetics database for analysis of some ingredients and products. Ultimately though, a good shaving soap without any fillers + high quality components is better to start with "real" organic.

Make sure your soap has the health benefits of bona fide, genuine snake oil miracle tonic.

>less exposure to pesticides/herbicides and other toxic shit.

No, organic uses MORE pesticides and herbicides.
They just use "natural" variants which don't work so well so they have to spray more.

"Organic" is just a marketing trick.

Inaccurate, unless it is being done wrong. The vast majority of organic farmers use less pesticides and herbicides. This is on top of the ones they do use (ie like integrated pest management - ie things that normally eat the bugs that ruin the tomatoes are allowed to live on the field. Works well in my own garden too. Certain insect-only natural pathogens, mantids etc..) , being far less harmful and bioaccumulative. They're usually equally if not more viable.

Someone spraying a fuckload of neem oil (even if they're doing it wrong) is a whole assload less harmful to crops, humans, the environment etc.. than glyphosate or BT. Of course, nobody should be spraying a whole fuckload of neem oil either, it should be used properly when necessary.

>The vast majority of "soaps" sold today are NOT soap (ie saponified oils) but instead a detergent which is harsher on your skin

Either sodium laureth sulfate or sodium lauryl sulfate
They're not harsher on your skin than soap.

Soap is very alkaline and react with calcium in the water, producing scum.
These modern alternatives don't have that problem.
Science has found better alternatives so why still use 19th century chemistry?