/hpg/ - Headphones General

Fuck Takstar edition
How to request purchase advice
>location
>budget
>open/closed/semiopen
>on ear/over ear
>sound signature (if unsure, what music do you like best?)
>previous headphones
>bluetooth?
For IEMs Previous thread:

Attached: file.png (1632x956, 412K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yQjove0nzss
github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for S U M M I T F I

Attached: A1B46E4C-CCAA-4F7C-912D-D4C162C5C4E5.jpg (3516x2883, 1.81M)

Why don't you create the goddamn threads when they die, instead of posting Stax and "huh?" from time to time?

You did fine lad.

Attached: D07938BA-8BAA-4D4F-A4C5-8DAFCF938FEA.jpg (3597x2110, 1.85M)

That's a really small Cd
Or are my eyes being fucked with and is that a large stereo and phones
haha remember mini cd remember how much of a gimmick those were and how they got chewed up by disc dives without an indent specially made for them haha

Bless Takstar and the brave soldiers of the Takstar army.

Attached: 45A2A439-4DFB-4D35-BE01-5AAA895588B9.jpg (848x462, 48K)

That’s real stereo equipment user, not some desktop toys. pulled these out just for you, couple Zappa mini cd’s :)

Attached: ECC05139-9641-47AB-B46B-EF87E04E83BB.jpg (4032x3024, 2.74M)

theys cute!

Attached: 03719B95-16F6-4054-B7EB-02308D07B36B.jpg (3024x4032, 2.6M)

Heh, nice
Your photo taking is just straight up weird. Before i clicked your image the thumbnail made those CDs on the left look like records and now they look like records in jewel cases lmao

Attached: clean your carpet bro.png (192x192, 76K)

some perspective

Attached: 35F6FFD1-D4A8-4570-967D-8779FBF16385.jpg (3024x3024, 1.7M)

So sony wh1000xm or bose quietcomfort 35?

sony but be ready for a ton of bass

So whatre you listening tonight user? Enjoying R.L. Burnside, Tony Rice, Zappa, Jon Lurie, and Parsons over here...while rolling NOS 12au7 and 6sn7 in my microZOTL driving HD800s.

Attached: 28B52D57-6797-41CD-AE18-746C3873EC76.jpg (4032x3024, 2.46M)

Ronnie Von on my Elex, driven by the iFi micro iDSD Black Label.

Attached: ifi_elex.jpg (1500x2000, 1.43M)

Care to explain what's wrong with the Takstar?

not familiar with Ronnie Von but see he hosted? a tv show where Os Mutantes were regulars. Love me some Os Mutantes, that Regulus VIII fuzz circuit their guitar tech came up with is a favorite of mine...nice variation on the fuzz face.

About to roll these 1958 Amperex Bugle Boys :)

Attached: E0FE5966-6A44-48DD-A1EB-EF7197C40E9F.jpg (4032x2777, 2.11M)

The graph in the OP is a comparison between the HE 4** series (400, 400i, 4XX, Sundara) and the HF 580. As you can seem the freqyency response is all over the place. From 200 up to 2k, it's a huge mess. The he4XX specially seems way more composed.
Here's a comparison between the HF580 and his more expensive cousin (3 times more expensive, mind you), Sendy Aiva. As you can see, it has a way better control of the resonances, albeit the lack of higher treble and mid range seem a little too much IMO.
So the conclusion is: The HF 580 struggles when compared to cheaper, older planar designs. And the Sendy Aiva shouldn't be anywhere near 600 bucks. IMO, Chinese manufacturers like to ride on hype waves, like they did with the KZ's with as many BA's crammed in the shell as possible. Now, they want to sell based on the driver tech alone, with no tuning or research.

Attached: file.png (1280x649, 255K)

>Want to post in /hpg/ about my new earpads
>see thread #5000 is being spammed yet again by the floor faggot

Attached: tired, annoyed in disbelief.jpg (600x753, 53K)

Just show them already fag
are you the guy with the Fidelio X2 protein pads?

You look like you have a chill life
Have a good day user

lmfao that peak and dip between 600hz an 700hz on the hf580

just fuck my vocals up senpai

i picked up the dx3 pro, did i fuck up?

Anyone here own or listened to the Massdrop x Koss ESP/95X electrostatics?

Distortion specs seem phenomenally low and the frequency response is quite flat and looks like it would respond really well to EQ.

Considering a pair as my "open" set. How do you think they'd compared to DT1990s?

Nah you did good, hopefully you get a decent draw in the Chi-Fi quality control lottery though.

are there any aussies here whove imported the JDS atoms? Do you get charged GST when it ships to you?

you will find the KOSS boss ESP/95X flat and boring. They have great mids from 200hz - 1khz which gives instruments and vocals a lot of presence. Upper mids and treble are more laid back, but cymbals still shine and everything sounds natural and effortless. I would say the ESP/95X has a very natural and polite, neutral sound.

Attached: ESP95X FR.png (600x419, 18K)

I hate how these spergs from SBAF just don't know how to fucking scale graphs properly. That bass rolloff is 10 fucking dB, yet, it looks OK in that graph.

Seems like a great candidate for EQ'ing.
Trying to decide where I'm going to land in the $500-1500 open back headphones category.

The sub-bass is shelved, I find this gives less in direct impact but delivery a more textured bass with far greater detail retrieval than something with elevated sub-bass.

Did they ever fix the squealing problem?
Low distortion is not valuable in that it is overwhelmingly low, but in that it never gets very large.
Electrostatics are more sensitive than most to fitting quality in the bass region.

I'm There's the caveat that you'll only be able to use it with the specialized amps as well, and take good care of these electrostatic transducers, since they don't like moisture or dust, AFAIK.
I was looking for one around 1K USD not long ago, and chose the Elex. I mean it when i say i couldn't be happier. The frequency response is just on my alley, exactly what i was looking for. Detail is plentiful, and i can't exactly see how people would call these bright. They are definetely shouty tho, which can be good on some genres, and easily EQ'd.

Attached: elexbro.jpg (2000x1500, 669K)

Days almost gone user, what’s listening with?

Attached: 964360E2-3B54-4F07-BB9B-EE7CC094B32E.jpg (4032x3024, 2.11M)

Yeah, the amp limitation is a factor, but I figure the distortion figures from measurements were taken with them being driven by the included amp. I'd probably set the gain to a decent place and hook it up to the outs from my existing amp, and use the same volume control. I'll still need my regular amp for my closed backs.

The Elex does seem like an interesting choice. I've been considering
>DT 1990 Pro
>HD800S
>LCD-2 / LCD-X
>HiFiMAN Ananda

Attached: IMG_20160902_204737.jpg (4160x2340, 2.59M)

Seems like it was a quality control thing from the beginning, and that usually improves quickly from the initial product run.

Well, and now also the Koss.

giving state of the art portable stax a spin

Attached: betterthanl300.jpg (3159x2672, 1.56M)

>burgerland
>closed
>doesn't matter as long as comfy, requiring pad replacement is fine
>relatively flat, tending towards v if anything I guess. I listen to just about everything
>dt770 pro (not anymore), fidelio x2s
>wired with detachable cable, can't live without one anymore

Well, you're on the same spot i was.
How i decided:
I didn't want it used.
The LCD2C was too expensive for what it is, in my opinion. Treble seemed too rolled off, i didn't want a "laid back" sound.
The HD800s has a tuning leaning torwards DF tuning, which means it'd lack bass for me. I listen to a lot of rock and a lot of electronic music as well. Also, too expensive for a revised HD800 imho.
I own a Hifiman HE400s i quite like, so the Ananda was also on my radar, but the pictures and stories about bad QC and drivers shitting the bed got me worried.
So, i got to DT1990 Pro vs Elex.
I went and read a lot of reviews on both and comparisons, so i jumped for the Elex for the slightly warmer sound, while having (according to a good number of reviews) slightly better details and dynamics.
The build on both looks awesome, and i believe they're both priced just right. The DT1990 Pro will be way easier to aquire, and you'll stumble on replacement pads way easier as well.

Attached: file.png (1221x916, 1.2M)

What didn't you like about the DT770?

I really like my Fostex T50RP. I do think they need a pad replacement, but they're very comfy once they have nice pads. I think I paid $120 for mine. I've since added lambskin angled pads, a leather comfort band, a modmic, and modded them.

Massdrop also has the Fostex T-X0 II version right now, which actually looks like a great deal. and close to what mine ended up like.

Attached: IGrtPRAsQ7mJ3sqyOdy6_0543-pc.png.jpg (820x547, 36K)

The squealing problem has been around for decades with the 950, not just a teething issue with an untested product. If they've fixed the problem, that would be good.
If.

Listening to an old classic.

Maybe not as consistent as the K612, but it has its own charm.

Attached: 20190718_210313.jpg (2016x1134, 730K)

Are there any HDMI-Optical splitters that convert a LPCM 5.1 hdmi audio signal to a Dolby 5.1 optical signal? I'm trying to find a way to get my consoles with only HDMI output to output surround to my Sound Blaster X7 so I can use SBX with it, but none of the settings my splitter has (passthrough, 2ch, 5.1ch) pass through a signal it can process.

>US
>$150
>Closed
>Over ear
>Balanced
>Koss KSC75
>Wired

Help me.
>Brazil
>400 BRL / 100 USD
>closed or at least semiopen
>idk
>prog, psych, mpb, shoegaze and /mu/ shit
>no good headphone
>could be but not important

Should have added, detachable cable for bonus points

Am I fucking myself if I buy the sennheiser game one if I primarily want to use them for listening to music? I play games sometimes and fuck around in discord so it would be nice to just have a headset. Was gonna get the HD599 otherwise, how different in sound quality are they?

Also, most of the music I listen to are psybient/downtempo stuff like this youtube.com/watch?v=yQjove0nzss , are there certain types of headphones that play this kind of music well? I'm not a fan of the mids being super high like it almost cuts into your ear, which is what I've heard the DT 700/900 described as. If the sennheisers are a little warmer and more base-y, then I think I'd like that.

Attached: 1391700703579.jpg (200x303, 10K)

They were just too bassy, which was fine at the time that I bought them but at some point I started listening to more than just basshead genres. Also weren't particularly durable, I take care of my stuff but the cable broke after just two years. Think one of the cups was getting fucky too, meanwhile I've had my x2's for 3+ years now and haven't had any issues.
As for those Fostex's, those are semi-open and don't look particularly portable. Should have mentioned I'd like them to fold down to rest on your neck and chest like the m40x's.

Aliexpress:
(IEMs) -> KZ ZSN Pros
(Headphones) -> MDR 7506
ML: M40X on a price drop if you're reaaally fucking lucky?

5 usd
sudan
open
doesnt matter
good
those white apple earbuds
all my teeth fell off when the apartment i was living in got bombed

DT770 & DT990 just need minor EQ to drop the small treble peak they have (or tame the sub-bass on the closed back 770 if you're not into that).

HD58X would maybe be the best current option in that price range of Sennheisers.

Oh, yeah the Fostex aren't particularly portable. If that's what you're after, I use Audio Technica ATH-MSR7NC at my desk job. Good build quality, fairly portable (I take with with when I fly), decent sound for the money, and the active noise cancelling works pretty well when there's chatter or retards playing ping pong or whatever.

I guess the ATH-M50X might be worth looking at too.

Received my Sennheisers 599 today. Really liking them coming from Takstars pro 82

>HD58X

Thinking about it, but I live in the EU so there's all kinds of extra fees and shit I have to pay by ordering from massdrop. Plus, probably no 30 day return policy in case I won't like them as I would get by ordering from my country.

superlux

Are Grado SR80s still worth it?

I recieved the hd6xx from massdrop about 2 weeks ago and Im really enjoying them.

Whats the next upgrade path but with a bit more bass?

>EU
I see. You'd probably be well served by the DT990 honestly. It's really easy to slightly recess the mids if you find you need that.

Though in that price range for open back headphones, you might also consider the K702. You might slightly bump up the low bass if you felt like you needed to, but they're very comfy and have great soundstage.

For the kind of music you posted though, the Fostex T50RP would actually be really nice if you don't mind a semi-open and slightly reduced soundstage in exchange for really rich bass and smooth slightly recessed mids.

Is EQ tuning something you need hardware to do well or can you do it with software?

Add bass with EQ to your taste. Look at an FR measurement and bump up the lower frequencies that seem recessed to you.

What budget and do you want to stay with open or go closed back?

Got it. I prefer openback and my budget is preferably under $1000 but don't mind spending a few extra hundred if there is no other options.

>buying shit gear and trying to fix it with shit eqs
>not realising that not only are you unable to change your impulse or transient response of hardware but you are also defining your sound by the sound of the eq you choose to use

Just get some earbuds since you niggas (clearly) don’t give a shit about quality

You can do EQ perfectly well with software. Equalizer APO is popular. Software EQ can allow you to target specific peaks or dips in the FR of your headphone to correct as well. You can also use correction profiles for your specific headphone as a starting point, then tweak to your liking, with a resource like github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq

If you'd rather keep it really simple and easy to play with you could get a small tone control like the Schiit Loki, which is perfectly effective at adjusting the overall sound to your liking.

At a much higher pricepoint you can get something like the RME ADI-2 which has a built in parametric software EQ that can save presets, but there's no real reason that's better than just EQ'ing on your PC. Useful if your digital source if something other than a computer though.

Maybe start with software, and if you decide you'd like something that's easy to mess around with on the fly and tweak to different uses get some hardware.

Attached: loki-mini-front-1920.jpg (590x380, 19K)

>Thinking there's anything wrong with EQ
brainlet detected
go back to burning incense and performing seances over your vinyl

You should seriously consider Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro and HiFiMAN Sundara.

If you have a good source already and portability isn't a big concern, you might even consider something like the LCD-2.

i usually run with eq flat or turned off. sure, eq can enhance / improve the sound sometimes, but "it isn't what the music is supposed to sound like".

but that's retarded because shit hardware that's unable to reproduce the proper soundstage isnt what it's supposed to sound like either.

so fuck it

Thanks man i will look into those

From an engineering perspective, your headphone is a device with EQ filters cooked in, really imprecise ones. Software EQ is more flexible and can be dictated with greater precision than any hardware as long as you can process it.

my thread is a failure so I'm asking here
My KXXS will arrive tomorrow and it's my first iem. Do I need to order any extras/accessories?

Yeah that is exactly what I would expect a retard to extract from my post even though I mentioned nothing of what you replied with.
You are the same people who would sonarworx their room instead of positioning your speakers and measuring your factors.
Every eq sounds different and you are talking about using an eq to fix problematic parts of freq response of hardware. Fucking lol.
When you buy a new car do you insure it has 4 wheels or do you just plan to attach a new one when you get home?
Inb4 logical fallacy faggotry
Inb4 men with no ears continue giving advise to other men with no ears.

Advising someone to make bad purchases that they can DIY fix with eq is top kek

Uum no

>Every eq sounds different
Do you even know what EQ is? Every EQ setting does indeed sound different. Different EQs set to flat will all be flat. Unless there is something critically wrong with them.

And adjusting the FR of a transducer is precisely what EQ is for in the first place.

That's how that works, curb your fetal alcohol syndrome.

LOL
Yeah your in-house eq sounds the same as an SSL
or a Neve
Or a dangerous or a bad or a pultec yeah it’s not like they are their own form of equipment
I’m sure your linear phase sounds the same as dynamic
I’m sure your eq in 44.1 sounds the same as in 96
I’m sure your shitty eq on your amp sounds the same as my elysia museq
Fuck off retard you don’t even know what your talking about

fucking summerfags

the Waves Abbey Road product might interest you, now your headphones sound like abbey road for just 100$!!

Hardware is not limited when we have such advanced DSP!!!

so user what headphone is kicking off the weekend for ya?

Attached: C517EBB1-EE99-4DAE-8182-456BF82B74D9.jpg (3645x1860, 1.46M)

It doesn’t matter don’t they all sound good when we have access to an eq?

wouldn’t that be nice

Attached: 144AC1F9-CA2B-4AF8-8833-68EA17D5F35A.jpg (4032x3024, 2.96M)

I’m going straight up to the top, oh yeah
if you know me, you know what I mean

Attached: C599CA0F-E8FB-4C6A-8CD9-3B0A059D40D3.jpg (2772x3698, 2.07M)

It would be very nice, but the point is advising someone to make bad purchases that can be “””fixed””” with DSP is terrible.
Why would you spend money on teenage engineering instead of a decent product?

A grand on an OP 1 when you could get moog or another great synth is a big lol from me dawg but who cares I’m sure you enjoy using it so fuck me right?
Still tho, eq to fix freq resp. Is terrible advise.
Have a nice thread fags

cause i got interested in one from one messing around with a friends and after considering the options and determining there was no suitable alternative etc or something along those lines

Attached: 422810F7-5837-445E-BB44-6D327BDFC5E8.jpg (4032x3024, 2.5M)

user you do realize I have several Moog along with several other vintage synths dontcha know

Attached: 95975A30-C460-47D4-AE94-A3E026E6D89F.jpg (4032x3024, 3.26M)

>no suitable alternatives to an OP 1 in 2019
Disgusting

No I do not realise this and that’s pretty dope
I still do not understand why you wouldn’t just get an oberheim or prophet or Dave smith or anything that OP1 is straight garbage

huh?

Attached: 55A95EB2-B2D1-411E-A00B-6A61DF8E4011.jpg (3879x2597, 2.83M)

Yeah why don’t I just throw my Vintage ARP Odyssey in my backpack..

Attached: 29B9FBD2-8996-4995-853F-A1CF7772C752.jpg (3898x2922, 3.01M)

What music do you make?
I love that tascam I often use it for pitching but the hiss is extreme

>what is arturia

didn’t you take care of it user?
Lol

Attached: 738BAF22-7730-4442-9A9F-7508567BC203.jpg (4032x3024, 2.68M)

Woops wrong pic

Attached: E8C3AB26-4FB5-4DDD-9896-2AC1B1ACB606.jpg (3767x2430, 2.42M)

No I was given it by a family member I just filter the top end off or use the hiss in my sound it depends what I’m recording.
What music do you make can I hear it?
I will probably buy a BigSky soon, that’s the best piece of kit you’ve shown so far.

there s the pic I was looking for

Attached: 3B9A6F30-B4CF-4F93-9B93-A666B8B11EF5.jpg (3958x2577, 2.56M)

Also if your concerned with portable sound design or creation and you are lolling at arturia as opposed to an OP1 then I hope hades kekkles your signal paths and a dog drools on your feet

whats the objectively best headphones without EQ?

oh ok

Attached: C3A05F42-1DAD-4AF7-83BD-50DB4FFE693A.jpg (4032x3024, 2.68M)

Impulse/transient response and frequency response functions are one to one, identical. It amounts to a change in the variable but ultimately contains the same information.
Conventional equalizers directly act on the temporal response by adjusting the phase-minimum component of the system.

Those are generally not only EQs, but EQs packed with deliberate distortion effects and other fun peculiarities.
>44.1/96
Limited tap length of an FIR filter affects what EQ you can apply, but that EQ is the same as any other. You can add more taps to get the EQ profile desired.

LCD 4.

Most people who horde this stuff make trash tunes. I’m guessing the answer is no but can I hear what you create with this couple of thousand $s worth of gear or is it just for fun?

huh?

Attached: F8F76E41-7667-4D52-8D2C-621481815203.jpg (3849x3024, 2.71M)

And the objectively best headphones if you do EQ?

I’m asking to hear what you create with this equipment
Depends on the eq, what you are listening too and a litany of other factors.
You shouldn’t be buying substandard gear with the intentions of fixing it with DSP.

oh ok

Attached: 5D7BC2C4-AF03-4BFF-AC16-99CE44875404.jpg (4032x2903, 2.89M)