FUCKING LAPTOPS

are all modern laptops shit? I'm not talking minor annoyances but I've been looking for a week now and I haven't found ANYTHING without glaring flaws
>dell
riddled with issues even on their xps line which are coil whining overheating bezel bending/breaking macbooks without mac QA
>lenovo
killing thinkpads. t480 is the closest thing I've found so far but it goes straight in the trash heap thanks to the 250nit shit panel. amd version seemed like my saving grace being cheaper with t chassis, better panel and then DOA with SINGLE CHANNEL ram on a fucking ryzen apu
>HP
Overheating and shit build quality. Fans blast even at idle. Common audio, panel and heat issues. Common rmas
>Apple
$4000 for gimmicks, broken keyboards and throttling. high dpi screens that looks great but kill battery life

PLEASE help me Jow Forums. convince me I'm wrong. tell me what I'm missing

Attached: laptops.jpg (2048x1365, 387K)

Other urls found in this thread:

costco.com/Dell-XPS-15-Touchscreen-Laptop---Intel-Core-i7---4K-Ultra-HD---GeForce-GTX-1050-Ti.product.100405155.html
linuxtechnews.com/slimbook-is-offering-a-new-laptop-called-slimbook-pro-x/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

yes, all modern laptops are shit. Get something from around 2014 and upgrade as needed.

I have a Q1 2014 laptop and I need to upgrade now. that's why I'm going through this hell in the first place

I mean modularly upgrade. I hope you got something with discrete components you can swap out. I just put 16GB RAM in my 2012 Alienware.

I just don't see a purpose for laptops in the age of smartphones. The only place a laptop can even be argued for is college, and even that's not an absolute. I never brought my laptop to classes and preferred taking notes on paper. Even in study groups I'd go without a laptop and just use my notes and phone if necessary.

And after graduating, I haven't touched my laptop in years except to mess around with the old thing. There's just no need.

I travel and am outdoors a lot in places I need to work and write. try writing on your phone
it has a couple of major issues that require an entire new chassis. its not worth it

How do you watch shows in the library?

>I've been looking for a week now and I haven't found ANYTHING without glaring flaws
>its not worth it
if you say so

That's fair enough. If your job actually involves work on the go, then that's a different matter. And also I assume in those situations, your work supplies the laptop anyway.

I'm just talking about normal people who work at an office or in service or some shit, who aren't on the go as part of their job.

What do you mean? Don't think I ever went to the library once when I was in undergrad. In grad school I'd meet up my friends in the private study rooms to go over notes we'd previously collaborated on in google docs and go over them. All you needed was one person hooking his computer to the big screen.

Honestly if I were buying new I would look at gamer oriented laptops. Most of them still have ethernet, separate 3.5mm in/out and are pretty serviceable with above average thermals. Build quality may be an issue but don't fucking drop your laptop

Attached: 61vFFkv5ltL._SL1000_.jpg (1000x1000, 72K)

they all have 3-4 hr battery life

Configure power management better. Pull the dedicated video cards and resell them if you want then just use the integrated graphics.

pulling the gpu is a good call. last I tried to undervolt a modern laptop it was very hacky. most of them are locked down

Have you ever try to run a business from your phone or tablet, its shit, you have 0 real world experience. You know nothing.

Why are you "running a business" on a park bench? You're right, I genuinely do not understand.

I like my Surface Book 2. It's expensive but it's nice, good for art shit, programming shit, and casual shit.

>not dragging your desktop to meetings with clients

have fun taking your desktop to meetings you neet retard

>Dell Inspiron 8200 in 2002
1600x1200
>Dell Inspiron 8600 in 2003
1920x1200
>Dell Latitude 7400 in 2019
1366x768 but u can upgrade to 1920x1080 :^)

>yeah let me type out a report on a smartphone
>yeah let me watch movies with a small screen
>yeah let me read books and documents with a small screen

see
I already addressed this. If your job actually requires being on the go, then that's a different matter. And also what office doesn't supply their employees with work laptops? I'm talking about personal use.

>can get a very usable desktop for around 500 that is powerful
>decent portable laptops that are weak as piss are 1000

I won't buy a laptop until APUs become viable

>I already addressed this. If your job actually requires being on the go, then that's a different matter. And also what office doesn't supply their employees with work laptops? I'm talking about personal use.
Not every working man is a wageslave for a company. Some people actually RUN their business.

Phones in 2019 have pretty huge screens, but if you insist on bigger, an 8" tablet and a folding keyboard solve all of your issue.

>8"
>bigger than huge
I wouldn't even consider a laptop under 17".

I do this thing called travelling and need a device that can multi task properly. With good inputs so no surface. Windows and not some shit apps with half the setting.

Not going into what I do but I don't meet clients and I make more than you.

you realise work provided laptops are the same shitheaps right? I don't have to pay for the service but I still have to fucking lose my laptop for repairs and re-image shit when I get back.

here to talk laptops not penises thanks

Are you that poor that you can't afford to have an office in every city you're traveling to?

>Not going into what I do but I don't meet clients and I make more than you.
?

That's impractical and a desktop in a briefcase would be cheaper and just as mobile

You think I'm travelling for work lol

Huawei Matebook Pro before the US government killed it.

I'll take a look at it. I use linux so I don't care about US company updates

That's not how the rich get rich dumb dumb

Asus Zenbook series is your answer

pretty much this.

wow, the fact you are talking up such a big game really says something. If you are so serious about business why don't you have a desk and office? Faggot Zack Dorsey runs everything from an iphone.

wow, don't you just sound like a faggot.

>$4000 for gimmicks, broken keyboards and throttling. high dpi screens that looks great but kill battery life

fucking Christ faggot. You may have embellished a bit there. Just buy a macbook pro and be done with it. you can buy a nicely speced mac book for under 3k/.

>high dpi screens that looks great but kill battery life
Why would you need more than 9-10h?

that surprised me actually. if it weren't for the touchbar the pro 13 would be tempting

I'm OK with the design of those convertible tablets like the surface.
But now swappable storage is a big red flag for me.

Buy a Macbook

Are there any 13" laptops with a discrete gpu that are any good?

Razer
Motherfucking
Blade

hipsters fuckin MIRIN when I'm playing starcraft on this bad boi

Attached: sadadada.jpg (259x194, 8K)

>high dpi screens that looks great but kill battery life
Neck yourself you stupid retard. You lose like two hours over some shit tier 1080p panel that doesn't get half as bright.

Wait for the new gen of XPS13 with 16:10 screens and then play QC lottery until you get a flawless one.

user, the age of good consumer laptops is dead and buried.

All these laptops are shit, now adays it's about finding the least shittiest.

I've lived 7 years in the jewnited states of murica, never bought a brand new laptop, gaymen consle, prebuilt shit, or even a brand new tv.

I go to best buy and all I see is overpriced shit, I go to walmart and all i see is overpriced shit.
I go to tardgay and all I see is overpriced shit.

Attached: 1562975767863.jpg (641x581, 56K)

>i just don't see a purpose for tools in the age of toys

>XPS13 with 16:10 screens
noice but I've seen coworker's xps hinges get fucked over the last 3 years

smartphones don't support RSA

Attached: 1562472847444.jpg (1345x2048, 221K)

fuck all this shit I'm going to pay my first visit to an apple store fuck me

Just go a dell xps 15 with 4k screen. Will never be able to use anything less. The screen is absolutely beautiful and even with that I still get respectable battery life.

>$3299
no thanks

Buy the business line stuff
Elitebook
Proper thinkpads
Latitude

This is the one i got.

costco.com/Dell-XPS-15-Touchscreen-Laptop---Intel-Core-i7---4K-Ultra-HD---GeForce-GTX-1050-Ti.product.100405155.html

I addressed that. they're all shit now
that's decent, but I should clarify that I'm an ausfag

Laptops haven't been good in at least a decade. Your best bet is to literally get some tablet + keyboard attachment or a Chromebook, unless you need specific software. Once you can install Linux distros on Lenovo 14es they'll be perfect. Anything over $500 is absolutely not worth it because as you said, even in the thousands laptops are still shit quality and will break on you within a year. May as well spend less money on something with such a short lifespan.

I don't have those issues with the current Latitudes, thin shit will always cram audio near noisy electronics.

What's wrong with the Surface Book 2?

> Good Battery Life
> Detachable Tablet Mode
> Only Laptop Keyboard to rival Macbook Pro
> USB C Charging
> Legacy USB Ports & SD Reader

Attached: Surface Book 2.jpg (1500x1001, 183K)

Huawei matebook

shitty thermals, but damn that beautiful 3x2 screen.

Attached: matebookxpro.jpg (1600x1066, 207K)

The Ryzen thinkpads can have an additional SODIMM installed, i think the S and X models are dual channel too. The 250nit screens are a blatant upsell though.

this
if you dont need the graphic card i would recommed the Surface cause you can attach a nice mech keyboard

Did I say I didn't? One in Tokyo, got out of London and NY to many niggers, no he doesn't if you really believe that.......

>wow, don't you just sound like a faggot.
>Just buy a macbook pro
Recommending a macbook, now who the fag?

Yea I know I'm a asshole, shits given.

What business do you run user?

I mainly want it because of the 3:2 screen. I don't really care about the thermals since I don't do stuff that is that demanding desu. The regular matebook 13 is also nice. I hope they update their line and start using and chips.

>muh screens
>muh thermals
Fuck, I just want a good fucking keyboard. I"ll take a 50 nit, 640x480 display if it only had a really good keyboard.

Alienware 15m

most of the parts are swappable and you have two options for eGPU down the line, Alienwares much cheaper proprietary method or standard Thunderbolt USB-C

built like tanks too, while still being reasonably thin and battery life no worse than a MacBook

then buy old ass thinkpads??

I bought a ThinkPad T480s a few months ago. The s version has more PCIe 3.0 Lanes for the SSD, making it faster than any SSD I used so far. Also perfect Linux compatibility, if tha is your thing.

500 nit QHD HDR screen on the X1

Get what you pay for I guess.
My only complaint is that the drive is slow as fuck 300MB/s and occasionally goes up to 700MB/s

Attached: wew.png (2560x1440, 1.11M)

You don't need a laptop. Your need is to complain.

What are you going to do? Make your own? Get cucked

Macbooks are some of the must used professional laptops. The T2 is extra security, programming is better on a mac, and it's easy to VM into windows if needed. Plus, the mac build quality, track pad, and screen are still leagues above the competition.

well you got the trackpad thing right

Exactly this, I can't use any other laptop anymore without bringing a mouse around

There's that Gigabyte that has a 93Whr battery.

it’s the same deal with tvs. people only care about smartphones

I move a lot, sometimes overseas so a laptop is the better choice for me. Right now I live in Madrid where it's hot as fuck and there is no AC, so I prefer having a device that is conciencious of power useage since that is directly tied to heat generation. Also, I like picking up my laptop from my desk and moving it to my bedside where I can fap laying down.

I have an Acer Aspire R5.

i7 7500U
Nvidia 940MX
12 GB ram

Touchscreen, and the lid folds back completely so you can turn it into a thickass tablet, or put it in tent mode to save space, or when I move it to my bedside table I put it in a cobra shape so the screen is closer.

There was 1 dead pixel when I got it but on a 1080 screen you can't find it unless you go full black. I forget it exists for months at a time. My only actual complaint is that the video card is kind of weak. I play Diablo 3 and it was getting so hot pressing keys was burning my fingers. Twice in one day it overheated. I had to drop the settings from high to low (pleb games have shit customization options)

The game came out in 2012 and this laptop in 2016. So I'm pretty pissed that a game specifically designed to be available to casuals is giving it such a hard time. I honestly blame software developers. The exponential increase in compute power has been holding strong but our subjective experience hasn't changed since 2009. I get it. Developer time is more expensive for a studio than my FLOPS. But I'm still pissed off about it.

Attached: 1429085759687.jpg (550x825, 160K)

250 nit more than enough, I have laptop that has 250 nit panel and I use it always on 50% brightness

Theres literally nothing wrong with the new X1 Carbon extreme with the 4k HDR panel.

Also, unironically the Razer Blade 15 is a great computer.

>do home office work on desktop
>watch movies on a television
>read books on an e-reader
Are you a teenager?

I would have to agree. I run my 500 nit screen at 10% 98% of the time but I eventually need to crank that shit up when the ambient light is high and in those situations 500 is the bare minimum so you can go fuck yourself idiot.

Bull fucking shit.
Yes everyone uses them but half of them need to have them for iOS development and the other half is just stuck with them because management.
>programming is better
fucking lmao
>build quality, track pad and screen
Okay the screen is nice but you better be trolling with the rest. I'm afraid to carry the thing with me because if feels like its going to break every moment.
And dont even get me started on that joke of an OS, everything is fucking backwards I started using terminal for most things because the UI is just so shitty and convoluted or even better, locked behind a paywall.

What is it you do exactly? Suggesting a phone isn't so far fetched. Just get a bluetooth keyboard with small touchbar and you're set. I have pic related and have a pretty okay DAW for recording / programming drums and also termux (terminal emulator) with micro as my code editor working with js/ts/node. Not everything will run in termux but I had only minor issues with npm I managed to solve eventually.

Attached: 61oc8WNCa9L._SX466_[1].jpg (466x466, 16K)

Gaming laptops are better than ever. Just use them as regular laptops.

>Gaming laptops are better than ever
nope. They're still thinshit compared to older models.

Attached: 0324.jpg (1030x705, 90K)

It can cool desktop components, sport a mechnical keyboard AND be thinner. What's the issue exactly?

E-excuse me...

linuxtechnews.com/slimbook-is-offering-a-new-laptop-called-slimbook-pro-x/

Attached: pro-x.png (900x900, 521K)

Apple air is good dude.

stop shilling this trash

what is the cheapest 17" laptop with a non shit display?
resolution and refresh rate doesn't matter to me just a decent ips
lenovo, asus and hp's cheapest 17 all have the most utter dogshit display possible

Attached: 1559767139384.png (680x446, 133K)

When's HP going to update the spectre? It's like the only xps 13 competitor that isn't a 2 in 1.

Attached: c05647444_1750x1285.jpg (1750x1285, 171K)

Look at Dell Precision, that's about the old based laptop series left.

I want to stop being a laptop corelet, what's the cheapest laptop with over 4 cores that can actually keep that thing from throttling?

Hey buddy relax, it's all new technology here

my Lenovo thinkpad has a HDR 500nit panel so I don't know wtf you are talking about OP. Don't buy a thinkpad with a shit panel you retard.

It's so hard to choose what to do, i like the portability of a 13/14, but i sometimes find myself wandering if i can do more on something bigger. Or a 13" with a moderate DGPU or APU would be fine, maybe.

>running 6 hrs on this silent badboi
If only my previous gaymentop had died in some months i would've waited for a zen2 model but alas. Even then zen+ is comfy
Fuck MSI.

Attached: 34-235-142-V21.jpg (640x480, 35K)

Get a Helios 500 AMD edition

yosh

N-nani?

I've had an HP laptop for ~2 years. It's been smooth sailing so far, aside from a couple wifi driver issues with Linux.