Windows is the business OS

>go to virtually any organization's office
>a sea of Windows workstations reaching as far as the eyes can meet
>visit server room
>Windows Server machines running AD, Exchange, etc.
>closest thing they have to tablets are Surface machines
>no sight of a Linux machine anywhere

What's Linux lacking before it can make the breakthrough into professional environments and challenge Windows' overwhelming dominance in this sector?

Attached: professional environment.png (866x433, 524K)

Other urls found in this thread:

zdnet.com/article/linux-now-dominates-azure/
datanyze.com/market-share/operating-systems/windows-server-market-share
computerworld.com/article/2469469/windows-widens-lead-over-linux-in-the-server-market.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

> windows is business
> posts picture of office full of iCANCER
you are a special kind of fucking retarded, aren't you?

When the business world actually learns how to use a computer without having their hands held every fucking step of the way, Linux might be feasible. Until then, yeah right. Don't kid yourself. Anyone who has supported business workers knows just how ignorant they are when it comes to technology.

this will change with windows 10. Microsoft fucked up big time with this one

I love that office setup. Not as bad as an open office and not as claustrophobic as full cubicles. Why can't most companies get it right.

The entire web is Linux. Visit any hosting company and they'll look weird at you for wanting Windows. Windows is used on the desktop only, every other device uses Linux.

you never worked at an office, right? do you think people there have time to fix every shit all the time? broken dependencies after updates, deal with non-compatible substitute software, if available? get a grip on reality, time is money, real work comes with deadlines and budgets to meet.

Im just a random retard on the internet, but if I had to guess, it's because of the support Microsoft provides for corporate customers, along with their office suite being superior to anything else and being the standard for 2 or 3 decades.

this, in combination with adobe software. the head of it at the company i work right now is a massive boomer freetard who tries to replace everything with foss and created only problems with this move (well, i guess, he does not want to run out of work) - kopano instead of outlook is horrible, for example.

this
only jobless virgins complain about Windows being standard

get a job
get money
get laid
get a clue

da gubbamint isn't interested in your spreadsheets

>da gubbamint isn't interested in your spreadsheets
Unless you're All Capone, of course.

Exactly. If you're not a criminal, you have nothing to worry about. That's why Jow Forums is so worried about "le botnet", because this board is full of pedos and pirates.

> LDAP (Active Directory) - Univention AD, which is based on Debian
> File server for internal smb shares - Samba on Debian
>Oracle Database for internal application - was on Windows 2008 server, I migrated it to CentOS 7
> Routers, NAT, Firewall, Website and VPN - all based on Linux
> All of them running as VM on VMware ESxi which is also based on Linux, daily backups to FreeNAS (FreeBSD)

This is my workplace, user. I don't see again, what's your problem? If shitty internal application was not build on fucking ASP.NET all users computers would run some Linux distro long time ago. But for now they are running Windows 10 LTSC.

My computer uses gLinux at work, but maybe just because they trust me not to be a techtard?

Unless you know you count their cloud infrastructure, Synology NAS's firewalls, routers, switches. Windows stand alone servers are dying.

Not just Office and Creative Suite though. It's also stuff like QuickBooks, Sage, Minitab, PowerBI, Crystal Reports, Express Invoice, Vegas Pro, etc.

Honestly, I think Linux would be the best solution for those retards.
Scenario on Windows:
>Carol in HR opens an email with a ".pdf.exe" attached
>downloads it, opens it, infects the network with ransomware

Scenario on Linux:
>Carol in HR opens an email with a ".pdf.exe" attached
>downloads it, can't open it, calls IT for help
>forced to redo corporate security training

>dying
>none of that stuff has ever ran Windows
Do you even know the meaning of the word "dying"?

Oh I'm sorry did I say that stuff ran on windows? No I didn't. I didnt say windows was your firewall or router idiot. No the lone windows server running your AD, exchange server and file server is going the way of the dodo. Quickly being replaced by AWS or god forbid Azure.

I am not a criminal for not wanting to supply co operates with my personal information after already paying for their shitty bloated product

It's mostly due to political lobbying from M$ that gnu/linux isn't more prevalent both in personal and business use.

If for instance most schools were forced to operate and teach how to use Free Software only, people would rely a lot less on all of the windows handholding. It's not like schools require anything other than text processing and calc sheets tools which are more than covered by Libre Office/Gnumeric

Yeah, except most organizations just prefer to do this:
>properly set up systems and network
>Carol opens pdf.exe
>nothing happens because her user has no permission to run untrusted executables
>her machine is running updated anti-virus software that flags pdf.exe
>all her software is properly up-to-date and can't be exploited so even if pdf.exe runs, it fails
>all of her data is properly backed up to SharePoint so even if pdf.exe successfully runs, nothing is lost
>even if it obliterates Carol's machine (which it wouldn't because her user privileges are very limited), it would never be able to jump to other machines because they all are set up with host-based intrusion detection systems, host-based firewalls and other mitigation systems
>as a matter of fact, Carol never received pdf.exe because Exchange is properly configured to not allow attached executables, to scan all incoming attachments for viruses and to strip all emails of images and links

No, you're not a criminal for not wanting that. It's the opposite: you don't want that because you're a criminal.

If reality was like this, we wouldn't have massively damaging ransomware attacks on key services, like the ones on the British NHS and the Chicago City Government,

Whoa, two organizations out of the gorrillions of organizations out there suffered a few minor setbacks, I'm sure you're onto something, user!

Those government agencys have shoe string IT budgets and dont implement any of those things correctly. The only thing I disagree with him on is sharepoint, rather have their folder redirected to the server and backed up that way.

>freetard who tries to replace everything with foss
kek, someone post that good doctor install gentoo edit.

t. stuck in 2005

That's because business is serious business and a lot of you Linux fanboys don't understand this.

>go to Microsoft Azure Datacenters, the cloud of choice by serious businesses
>"about half and growing" of VMs are running Linux
zdnet.com/article/linux-now-dominates-azure/

Nobody uses this freetard shit. Just get a Windows Server License.

All Linux instances on Azure run inside a Docker container under Windows (unless you have a VM of course, but then Windows is the hypervisor).

You don't understand, M$ is never going away. If Linux starts getting adopted, they will undermine it with EEE.

What if Carol has a laptop? OneDrive for business is pretty much O365 Sharepoint, you know.

Actually working on Police of my country, all the PC are on Linux because we are broke as fuck

If I'm not a criminal there's no reason to look at my shit in the first place.

We won't know until we look.

>in office
>almost everyone using linux
>people not using linux are on vnc connected to linux machines
>servers all on linux
>lmao @ the thought of hpc on windows

windows is used as a crutch when companies don't know how to utilize and maintain their boxes, I've seen too many windows ecosystems that are improperly maintained but still 'work' through pure brute force on the sysad's part. you can't get away with that using linux, not saying linux is hard to use but it requires some self-awareness, forethought, and critical thinking that a lot of people just don't have.

Attached: real windows.jpg (816x531, 42K)

what's it lacking? business grade productivity suites.

When I was on an internship at our local Uni a few years ago, the IT-people just lacked the gnoo/linax knowledge for some fucknows reason.
I was tasked with scrapping every infomonitor at the campus, reinstall Ubuntu with all the bloat that comes with it, debloat it, add some required settings (domain,security,ssh,etc,etc,) and return to where I took it.

I also had to write instructions for ALL the other people there how I did it, because they had literally no clue.
I've been working on and off there for a few years and It's nice to see that they're finally starting to experiment with it.

Is Uni even a business?

Who the fuck says anything about non-essential updates? Just keep them forever at a working version and don't let the office workers install new shit. You are the sysadmin after all.

fpbp

She would have to use a VPN to access her shares and any confidential information would not be physically on the laptop. Negating the risk of her losing it.

Or she could have used OneDrive and have her shit stored on the laptop and O365 Sharepoint.

Imagine being under a rock for the past 14 years.

>trusting carol with sensitive information stored locally.
No thank you, the approach I outlined is exactly what our clients use.

To add to this, with her profile being redirected there is the added bonus of her being able to sign on to any machine and her information is there.

>Not having all client devices encrypted

Roaming profile makes login times pretty slow though.

That is true roaming profiles can make the startup time slow I'll contest that.
>Not having all client devices encrypted
Also a good point, you can store the bitlocker key in AD, I still like the idea of having everything on the server just in case though.

If your users are fine with using VPN at all times, it's not that big deal, but OneDrive would make their life bit easier.

Honestly I just need them to login periodically to keep things synced. I only have one problem user who absolutely refuses to use it. Of course when we absorbed her company she had 76gb used in outlook and claimed she needed all of it. Also replies to old email chains instead of starting new ones (apparently doesnt like typing in the first couple of letters of their names outlook auto populates contacts ffs).

>Anecdotal evidence is always true
I never walked into a server room that had a single windows machine. I completely agree on the office part, which heavily depends on Microsoft Office products, but backend? Nah. I could go on on how even midscale companies are slowly switching to a proper infrastructure (at least for europe), but OP is full of shit anyway.

Attached: 1523154006782.png (1385x945, 200K)

>having someone in your peripheral vision while you work

im probably autistic but who else cant work liket his because you always think they are looking at you

>posts picture of office full of iCANCER
that's clearly a 3d rendered image
iShit is so irrelevant OP couldn't find a photo of it in offices

Why don't you just limit her cached mode to 6-12 months? You could make her a simple robocopy script to sync stuff to the server and make the VPN connect automatically if she's not in the company lan, although to me it seems more like a management problem than technical one.

Regardless, Macs have been able to run Windows since 2006.

Nothing. Corporations (and people's) resistance to change and the sunk cost fallacy will keep Windows in it's position unless they royally fuck it up even further.

>although to me it seems more like a management problem than technical one
You are 100% correct and the director of IT there has basically abandoned the issue and left her to rot.
>Why don't you just limit her cached mode to 6-12 months?
We have done this and it drastically improved her outlook experience but occasionally (I would say every 3 months or so) her outlook refuses to connect and the only way to resolve it is rebuilding her profile. Also thanks for the chat its nice having an actual discussion on this board .

>along with their office suite being superior to anything else and being the standard for 2 or 3 decades
If you had ever used another suite in the last 5 years, you'd know that's pure bullshit.
Office has gotten worse and worse since '97.

Not sure if its changed that drastically in 2 years or hes just referring to data centers.
datanyze.com/market-share/operating-systems/windows-server-market-share

>get a clue
Fuck off, literal boomer. You're out of your element.

Yea, sysadmins who dare enter be damned.

That website is only measuring websites running on windows server.

>datanyze.com/market-share/operating-systems/windows-server-market-share
What about the bottom part?

>webshit
Those Linux numbers are massively inflated by gorrillions of garbage WordPress blogs. But anyway, that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about corporate IT, an area in which your BlogOS is mostly irrelevant.
computerworld.com/article/2469469/windows-widens-lead-over-linux-in-the-server-market.html

Attached: 1525696579597.png (800x571, 82K)

So it doesnt count because you say so?

There are other types of servers than just webservers.

Agreed which is why I included the second part in my initial comment.

It doesn't count because # of websites doesn't translate to # of servers. You can run a million inconsequential blogs on a single LAMP machine. Actual mission critical shit like ERPs and CRMs are running on Windows Server most of the time.

What about the bottom part? Looks pretty much the same graphs to me.

>Actual mission critical shit like ERPs and CRMs are running on Windows Server most of the time.
There is literally no reason you couldn't run these applications on Linux vs Windows server. Also I would like to see some charts from 2019 these are all 2015-16.

We have windblows running on 99% of our city's workstations and servers and it's fucking horrible
Last thing I want to do is use it when I get home

Attached: 1563159040670.gif (531x364, 236K)

If you read the article I linked to here , you'll that the trend is Windows widening its lead over Linux in the corporate data center, not the other way around, so I'd say a more recent survey would paint and even direr picture for you.

Sure we could speculate on a blog post from 9 years ago but those are irrelevant according to you.

>There is literally no reason you couldn't run these applications on Linux
Tell that to the developers.

Ok developers, you can easily install windows applications on Linux, its even easier to publish those remote apps to the users.

It's not speculation. Things don't change that fast in IT. No one migrates operating systems just because overnight. It's not like programming languages, where there's always a hip fad. Banks are still using mainframes from the 60's. You're the only speculating wildly from a very narrow, particular and biased dataset.

It's been only three years since that study. Do you seriously think corporations have abandoned Win server en masse and migrated all their applications to Linux in just three years?

So again, another source not based on speculation from a 9 year old blog post please.

>If you read the article I linked to here

>article from 2010

Ok

Sure, but only after you post a source that's not based on a very partial unrelated sample of the market and extrapolating from an independent variable.

The spicework article is from 2016.

Feel free to post your own sources.

So only post a source based on your criteria so it skews the results. Ok you win I guess :^)

There's no data that's more recent and showing any different results or any hint at a reversal of that trend.
Everything leads us to believe that Windows is still dominant in the enterprise server market.
If you have any data to dispute that, feel free to share it.

Why? It's not worse than the previous versions and the automatic updates so that companies have a consistent system on every machine is better than in the previous versions.

If you wanna pretend that number of websites isn't a completely independent variable from server market share (because you can run multiple sites on a single server), and also wanna pretend that considering just webservers isn't biasing the sample heavily, then on top of all that even cynically display the audacity to tell me that I'm the one "skewing results", then you're nothing but a lazy troll.

Pro tip: Companies don't have automatic updates.

Lol no

My company paid 150 000 dollars for a gutted Win10 license from a third party just to have the annoying features disabled

>Windows bad free OS good
Jow Forums will never fucking learn.

Here's your (you)

Because you need someone to blame when shit hits the fan.
You can't just call Linus Torvalds because the email server doesn't let you something stupid that the CFO really wants to do

This. I have Bill Gates and Satya Nadella's phone numbers on speed dial by now.

I meant they have a support hotline and dealers and shit. Nobody takes responsibility for free systems

Windows if for everyman. All of Sony's production related stuff is UNIX, so there's that.

autism.

Android runs the Linux kernel user.

.NET Core runs on Linux

>Angry Birds OS
That's not good for Linux, please refrain from embarrassing us and do not ever bring that up again!