Languages not used that much thread

What obscure language would you like to work with if you could?

Attached: languages.jpg (640x640, 146K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7DTlWPgX6zs
mrao.cam.ac.uk/~rachael/compphys/SelfStudyF95.pdf
quasar.dev/
uk.linkedin.com/jobs/view/software-engineer-ghc-at-facebook-1165655106
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why does nobody ever mention Erlang?

too useful

i get paid to write haskell, its really good and i highly recommend it!

(I (want (to (use Lisp))))

Honestly some of the fifth generation languages seem absolutely schizophrenic. Imagine never ever writing an algorithm ever again. Just describe your constraints on the solution domain and input domain and hit enter.
Let P={problems solvable in polynomial time}
Let NP ={problems verifiable in polynomial time}
Print P == NP

good luck fags

Caml. I only did an intro class in it years ago but I still want to use it. I have absolutely no use for it sadly.

Gallina. The only way to write actually correct code

modern Fortran is as good as Rust and better than C++

>Modern Fortran
show code

>implying Rust is better than C++

C++ is better than ru-

youtube.com/watch?v=7DTlWPgX6zs

Oh and I hope you're up on your rvalue reference rules to even understand what he's talking about : ^ )

What're peoples thoughts here on Dart + Flutter?
I like it conceptually but don't wanna sink time just yet given googles track record

mrao.cam.ac.uk/~rachael/compphys/SelfStudyF95.pdf

I used it for a project and it was great. Much better performance and sanity wise than React Native given the type system and native rendering.

programming in Flutter is better than native, anyone is an idiot to learn Swift or Kotlin when you can do everything better in Flutter

Dart is a very good language for making a UI, it compiles to platform, its statically typed, it has strong Java-like OO, making UI's is one area where traditional class-based OO shines

Thanks, that's good to hear, I'm stuck in djangoland and want to move on to a more modern framework but the javascript world just seems so messy, will have to give it a crack

>implying CoCs make better programs

Was about to post that.
I am about to start a project and can basically choose between React Native, Nativescript and Flutter.

My first impulse was to use Nativescript-Vue, since I know JS and Vue in and out, though Dart actually looks really nice and I have the impression, that Flutter is going to become a lot more popular as well over time, while Natvescript might be left in the dust or.

I liked Kotlin when I tried it, though if I recall it doesn't do native web frontends, right?

>just because it has a coc means its a bad language

Cope

Attached: images(3).jpg (258x196, 8K)

Haskell

>having CoCs doesnt make it a bad language

You will never be a real woman, Rustrannie

when used on Android Kotlin just transpiles to Java but it is possible to compile Kotlin to platform binary

I like Rust and the community is disgusting, and trannies are difficult to tolerate.

Attached: 1553463011043.jpg (2048x2048, 416K)

Because erlang lives on in elixir also it's actually used a lot

You've convinced me boys, downloading now. Going to make a basic app for entering geotechnical log data.

I wrote my own scada system which controls heating (nat gas/wood/solar) and blinds in erlang.
at first the erlang vm was deployed on my xeon server, now it runs on a rpi1 as I don't need that much power.
the sensors (adc/digital inputs) and outputs (dac/relays) are handled by a couple arduinos hooked up via ethernet to the rpi.

compared to the PLC and extension blocks I had before, this setup is probably around 100 times cheaper.
granted, it probably won't last me 20 years like the PLC did, but getting spare parts is way easier
and the erlang vm can be deployed super fast and even on multiple nodes (next step is to look into redundancy)
hope I can hot code swap the update

I wish I was paid to write compilers in haskell

I wish Nim is more popular, syntax similar to Python but with performance of C

What company?
What do you do specifically?
How much do you make?
This should too ideal to be true. There has to be a catch.

Prolog needs more love

>I don't see them used therefore they aren't used
Good OP.

I think zig has some hype surrounding it so I don't know if I'd call it obscure, but its probably not in the "mature enough for production" phase yet. I really like programming in it.

fuck how? ive got an app for my solar and for my heating that while work dont provide a very integrated solution

This is soon going to become a reality with machine learning compilers.

clisp represent

Smalltalk

I want to work with basic with the COMFROM command patched into it

If you absolutely want to use vue, you should have a look at quasar -> quasar.dev/
It just works and there's no hacking around. Be careful if you look around to stick to the 1.0 release.

That said, flutter feels wonderful to use and after looking at google IO 2019, it feels like they've got enough plans for the language to not just kill it tomorrow.

Have sex

Attached: wat.jpg (650x866, 112K)

I'd love to have a job writing Haskell or Rust.
t. bored embedded dev

The best way to program in Lisp is to use some form of a modified keyboard.

Pic related is the "space cadet" keyboard used for a commercial line of Lisp machines by Symbolics. Note how the brackets and the paranthesis keys next to the p key. This isn't normal for common keyboards to do, and with good reason.

Attached: Space-cadet.jpg (2001x773, 1.29M)

Snobol4. I found a neat Snobol4 compiler in the Homebrew repo when I was using a Mac. I'm hoping there's something equivalent in one of the repos for the Linux distros I currently use. So far I haven't found anything. I've read about Snobol and it looks like a pretty neat language.

Just install the CLISP compiler/interpreter/REPL ffs.

Good luck getting anything to run fast with a compiler based on machine learning.

>Anyone who doesn't like dragging politics into tech must be an incel.
Kill yourself, beta orbiter.

Tech is politics, incel.

Only for people who have no genuine interest in tech, you thirsty white knight.

These people DO have genuine interest in tech. That is precisely why they "drag" politics into it, you misogynistic pig.

Do you like facebook?
uk.linkedin.com/jobs/view/software-engineer-ghc-at-facebook-1165655106

Tech is not inherently political. Deal with it. The only people who see a relationship between the construction of algorithms and feminism are thirsty white knights who think everything is about feminism because that's how they hope to get their dicks sucked by "women in STEM" whom they secretly masturbate to at night. You're a horny incel-in-denial who's so desperate to get laid you alter everything in life to please women.

Attached: dda1y2u-7ab2b723-eb58-4c19-8a59-4b6e2d802736.png (600x1193, 434K)

>imageboards, yet alone 4chinks
>respecting anyone
fuck off with that.

What are you so triggered by?

You seem pretty triggered yourself, given that you're calling people who disagree with you incels and misogynistic pigs.

Nobody said there is a connection between algorithms and feminism. What we are TRYING to say is tech is all about power. Power that is now currently mostly in the hands of men. We don't try to change everything in life to please women. We want to change the world so they have more opportunities and less hassle in the workplace. You don't understand anything, do you?

So why are you more interested in the political issues surrounding tech than in tech itself?

I'm interested in both. Easy as that.

I never said any of that, are you projecting?

So why are you trying to argue that tech is inherently political when there's so much to tech that has absolutely nothing to do with politics?

Well, whoever I was arguing with did. That's the problem with an anonymous imageboard. You don't really know who you're talking to.

Just because there is a lot (the amount is conveniently never specified) of non-political issues/ideas in tech doesn't mean there is no political landscape existing within tech.

Also, scientific studies have shown a 2:1 hiring preference for women across the board for STEM fields. And for any study where they find a bias for men based on resumes, the bias becomes even more pronounced when they remove names so the employers don't know the genders.

Secondly, it's mostly people with far-left political views who control tech. Are you in favor of taking power back from leftists and restoring the place of non-leftists in the tech industry?

Let me repeat: The far left has power in the tech industry. If you're all about balance of power, are you in favor of taking power away from the far left?

>restoring non-leftists as figures of power back in tech

Tech was always ran by leftists.

Like what?

Even if I wanted to "take" power, who would I give it to?

And tech was always run by men. Your point?

Well, you clearly want to take power away from men, so why not take power away from the far left?

Men have too much power.

I don't mean as figures of power. I mean stop firing people from tech jobs and banning them from projects just because they don't agree with regressive leftist politics.

Unlike where men hold the majority of power, it is a good thing that leftists hold a majority of power.

The far left has too much power.

absolute powah

Free speech has consequences.

I'm not talking about leftists. I'm talking about the far left - people who favor censorship of anyone they disagree with and who judge people by the color of their skin rather than the content of their character. I'm talking specifically about the identarian left.

Is that a bad thing?

So you don't favor taking away the far left's monopoly on tech. So why should anyone care if men are dominant in tech then?

>the left, people who strive to fight for equality judges people by their skin color
I'm going to need some proof for that claim, chief.

> I wish Nim is more popular, syntax similar to Python
That's a blatant lie. Except for the indent scoping it is a very un-Pythonic language.
Also it is far from being as fast as C as soon as your program is a little more complex.
The performance is more comparable to Java/Go.

Is it a bad thing if men are dominant in tech?

"White people aren't allowed to do yoga. It's cultural appropriation."
-- California schools

Yeah, they judge people by the color of their skin alright.

>people who favor censorship of anyone they disagree with and who judge people by the color of their skin rather than the content of their character.
Sounds like the right to me
>ib4 war of northern aggression, creationism is science, climate change is a hoax, no separation of church and state
Conservatives are fucking snowflakes who are triggered by everything.

What makes you think I'm a right winger? I favor open-minded political discourse and freedom of expression across the board. But right now the far left is a greater threat to individual liberty because they have control of the corporate establishment and the corporate media.

>thread about obscure programming languages
>turns into discussion about politics

This is why people hate SJWs and their reactionaries.

Do people use Scala often?

>msnbc is more powerful than the whitehouse and fox

What's wrong with Fox? I'm not even American and I find it enjoyable.

fox controls more than half the media share in the USA. the right controls the supreme court and executive branch. the left is impotent

So, does anyone use picolisp? Is there any hope whatsoever that it'll get adopted widely?

Attached: small-logo.png (49x46, 2K)

this.

Only Tucker is worth watching. Unless you're looking for newsfus

t. seething Rustranny

The left controls the banks, NGOs, Hollywood/Entertainment industry, social media, indoctrination centers (academia)..

Unison's schtick is that all code is identified by a hash of it's entire source and dependencies. Distributed source code. Reminds me of git's object store. Got a Haskelly syntax which is a plus. Sounds exciting but a look at the github and I can't really see much is actually written. There's a few Youtube presentations.

>The left controls the banks
Actually it's the other way around. At least if you're talking about the Neo-Liberal faction of the left.

Prolog is horrible though

And every corporation that used the fagflag for their logo last June