/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600 - Good gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>R7 3700X - Overkill gaming CPU
>R7 1700X - Budget video editing
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks

RAM:
>Do not use a single DIMM. 2 sticks ONLY for a typical dual channel CPU
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 3200CL16 or Micron E-die ("AES" in code) recommended
>AMD B & X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP
>B-die is EOL, stocks are limited

GPUs based on current pricing:
1080p
>RX 570/580 8GB - Can be found on sale for cheap. Look for 570s which are >1240MHz boost
>GTX 1660 - higher fps / more demanding games
>RX 5700 - even higher FPS
1440p
>RX 5700 - basic
>RX 5700XT - standard
>RTX 2070 Super - higher framerates in SOME games
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2070S OC - budget option. Turing performance scales better into 4K than Navi does.
>2080Ti - best for 4K but expensive

>Navi AIB models come mid-August. 5700 blower is alright, due to low power.

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Yes, adaptive sync (free/g/sync) is important
>SSD Guide (250GB+ SATA bare minimums): i.imgur.com/79MYtoE.png
>NVMe isn't better than SATA SSD for gaming
>"Bottleneck checker" sites don't work
>Don't use Speccy
>AM4 VRMs + Monitors under "more"

more: rentry.co/pcbg-more
prev

Attached: a2156f5fd2bf281399fd6148a19168ee--gaming-computer-desktop-computers.jpg (550x660, 90K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/JwxFBb
us.msi.com/comparison/motherboard/?unique=id1563571769320&compare_list=["TVBHLVg1NzAtR0FNSU5HLVBMVVM=","WDU3MC1BLVBSTw=="]
pcpartpicker.com/list/KK6Mq4
pcpartpicker.com/list/#compatibility_notes
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wmsTYK9Z3-jUX5LGRoFnsZYZiW1pfiDZnKCjaXyzd1o/edit#gid=2112472504
youtu.be/SY2g9f7i5Js
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Buy Noctua

What does a passable 60hz 1080p monitor go for these days? Looking for a third monitor and don't need an expensive one

Not really related to /pcbg/ but is it fine installing a GPU in a optiplex if the pci opening latch is off?

Pic related

Attached: IMG_20190719_135819.jpg (2592x1944, 488K)

Did I do good?
Motherboard is already flashed.

Attached: 7AADD714-42EC-45B8-8B8E-47F93A67C120.jpg (4032x3024, 1.81M)

How the hell do you overclock AMD nowadays?
It used to be you raised the voltages and the multiplier, but now that every loverclocks itself, it hard to wrap my head around it without completely negating any sort of power saving features?

How do I overclock my 2700 while still retaining some of the power saving features? I keep hearing PBO but have yet to receive a concise answer on it.

Attached: 1272671273958.jpg (480x600, 76K)

>mid range PC I built 3 years ago runs every game I play at 1440p max settings just fine
>somehow I'm paranoid that if I don't buy the most powerful parts out now I'll just be waisting my money
Why am I this way, ik that buying midrange parts will more than satisfy me. I'm really only even building a new PC because only half my current motherboards sata ports dont work. Yet I still can't get these doubts out of my head. Anyways could any of you guys recommend a good build for under $1000 excluding a power supply and GPU?

$20

why are all cases such shit? im having serious buyers remorse about my fulltower. its hard to work on and its a giant waste of space. i cant find a good midtower because nothing has fan controllers or doesnt have a big ass window with gay RGBs on it, and you can forget about a drive bay.

pcpartpicker.com/list/JwxFBb
Can anyone help optimize a $1500 build?

>B450
No goy you NEED X570, go back and buy one of those too.

Fractal Design R5 or R6 is good. I hate those windows and lights too.

I really only know enough to build a halfway decent PC every half a decade or so, is this good or overkill for 1440 gaming? I'm still at 1080 and my current one is starting to show it's age. I wanna take a step up and have something that will be able to compete for a good while

Attached: build.png (886x680, 49K)

i could live with a window if the case actually had drive bays or filters. but it seems every single case is obsessed with being just a black box with a window on it and nothing more.

The Define R5 has 8 trays so you'll be okay. For some reason they only give you 6 trays for the R6.

just took a look at it.
it looks breddy gud, but i wish it had fan controllers.
although i suppose a dedicated one be better.

Any particular reason why there are no intel cpu's in the op?

Always buy a case with handles, then- no regret.

What does it say for you estimates wattage?because I'm sure they're full of shit.

Good one

I need serious repliers only.
Tell me if i should replace my 6800k with 3900x. 90% of the time i do serious video editing and 10% gaming and Jow Forums. Gpu i own 1070 and 32gb ram 2600cl. Should i get ram aswell? Also what.mobo

Is there a reason why I shouldn't get the X570-A PRO instead? It has the same specs but $10 less.

us.msi.com/comparison/motherboard/?unique=id1563571769320&compare_list=["TVBHLVg1NzAtR0FNSU5HLVBMVVM=","WDU3MC1BLVBSTw=="]

>rasp pi
why?

>handle breaks
>case slams to ground
>radiator/heatsink flys off
i have trust issues with handles

384 but I had heard having it at 50% or less power consumption would be beneficial, if that's not the case I can always go for something else

>overkill
Only the psu, you are off for about 200W
Rest is pretty good, but if all you do is gaymin go intel

>video editing with a 6c 12t
you hate your life?
go 3900x with 3200MHz ram cl 16
for mobo i'd say msi tomahawk b450

pcpartpicker.com/list/KK6Mq4
don't know shit about wifi adapters, but that seems something where you could save some more money. put the big noctuas in the front, the small one in the back. the stock cooler can get really loud and assuming you want a quiet build i got you a NH-U12S. you don't NEED it though. neither do you need to buy extra thermal paste. it'll come preapplied to the stock cooler and a tube is included with the noctua cooler. i would also get the meshify c (mini) for about the same price. it is the same chassis, just with more airflow. the monitor you selected is g-sync-compatible btw

I bought an 860 evga g3 because it was on offer for 70.
Calculated a build on pcpartpicker with loads of drives etc and it sai like 373watt. WTF
pcpartpicker.com/list/#compatibility_notes

Should i not get x570 for the pcie cause i storage a lot and ssds are important. I build the pc at 17' when i was poor af. Now money is not a problem but im frugal

Ok man, I feel bad for you, should always be aware to catch shit with your body in that situation but yeah that sounds bad.

$20

undervolt and hope you hit the silicon lottery. The lower temps can make it boost higher but only if silicon is good.
Oh and overclock the infinity fabric. FCLK is a new thing now. You can get 3800MHz RAM with 1900MHZ FCLK.

>should I get a CPU that's twice as fast
idk dude

I think I fucked up, althought on my defense, it is my first time buying parts
dont know if it belongs here or on stupid question general
does motherboard have a maximum number of how much gpu ram can it handle?
Gpu I ordered have 8gigs, but now I look at my motherboard specification and it says that its graphical memory capacity is 2 gigs
have I bamboozled myself, or am I okay?

it's good too
except the I/O shield is slightly lesser, but that's inconsequential
also do consider msi x570 gaming X it has more VRM so you can OC your CPU better
pick whichever the cheapest, they're pretty much the same boards

Get what connectivity you need/value, if it's an x570 then get it.

>Should i not get x570 for the pcie cause i storage a lot and ssds are important.
only if you have NVMe m.2 otherwise it won't make a difference

What motherboard?

>does motherboard have a maximum number of how much gpu ram can it handle?
Nope, sounds like you got chinked

Can't he use one of the pci slots for extra sata connections too though?

That doesn't make any sense. I think thats for integrated GPUs.

Who tends to have the best software nowadays, not BIOS?

look at this chart and judge for yourself
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wmsTYK9Z3-jUX5LGRoFnsZYZiW1pfiDZnKCjaXyzd1o/edit#gid=2112472504
it might be overwhelming but i'd say focus on the VRAI column under Main VRM Channel category
the more, the better
if you're considering x570 you might as well give a look at ASUS products, they tend to be as good if not better than MSI at this price point

its my own fault. my PC is heavy as shit.

with a PCIe adapter, yes
but the point is x570 provides brand new PCIe 4.0 which really shines in data transfer for NVMe m.2

Gigabyte GA-AB350m-DS3H V2
and rx570 8GB if thats somewhat important

>does motherboard have a maximum number of how much gpu ram can it handle?
nah

The only reason to buy Intel at this point is that if you want to avoid a dGPU but have a core count above 4.

Alright thanks, I'll drop it down on the PSU. If I did go with intel would you recommend the i9-9900K or i7-9700K?

Have you ever purchased gaymur RGB hardware because it was relatively good money for its performance and was cheaper than non-RGB shit?

that's for onboard graphics. your gpu should work fine

I wanted to grab that image as an image before, any way of doing it?
Wouldn't it take some of the load on one of the pci slots as well? Not sure.
2gb is for shared on board memory, for a CPU with integrated graphics. That doesn't affect your rx570 because that's a GPU.
There are bargains to be had and it's not as simple as that.

Motherboards are a given because unless you're going ITX or very low end, you can't avoid it.

i purposefully avoid RGayB like the plague, even if it's on sale, i'd rather cash out the premium for non pozzed LGBT lights
thjis gay ass zoomer gimmick has no place on my rig

MSI X570 Ace or Asus X570 Hero?

>any way of doing it?
i can't get to download it
seems locked

this is too cheap for NVMe, what is the catch?

Attached: file.png (1343x468, 142K)

What's easier to install, dark rock 4 or nh-u14s?

I tried before, that tab took a bit to load in the first place.

It's QLC.

english, doc

which paste did you use, on what part, how much watts does the part produce, how good is the cooler?

would someone answer me? i'd like to know what processors are good for emulation and what makes them good?

Both are faster than 3700x
youtu.be/SY2g9f7i5Js

Want to replace a gtx 1060 (6gb), using a 144hz WQHD monitor. Should I wait for the custom 5700xt or waste money and get a 2070 super?

The one with the better BIOS/Memory overclocking, but I think it’s still too early to tell

What's with all of these "money is no object" fags talking about buying 9900Ks and Ryzen 9s instead of HEDT processors?

Is it worth building a pc if I don't know anything about computers and don't care about learning about it?

About how much would I save by learning + building and just buying a prebuilt one?

1-2 hundred dollars unless you find a good deal on a prebuilt

at 1440p just get the 3700X, it is virtually the same as 9900k except for very few games where the difference is 5-10 frames at worst. 1080p is a different story though.

Is it true about 9900k running really hot? Maybe just extreme overclocking?
Because at the mo I'm worried about building this new ryzen build because of temp levels, when just using the thing at stock.

Depends on the prebuilt really, but you would have to know enough about them to know what's a good deal and what's completely retarded.

Though typically it's the "high end" prebuilts that are in the "completely retarded" range.
It's not even necessarily that they're overpriced- I saw a prebuilt that would be a good deal for the price of the parts, but the choice of parts and layout of the case (lots of fans that do nothing but make noise, for example) made no sense.

NVMe is unnecessary for gaming, replace with SATA M.2

Just bite the bullet and get a good one with a window, I can't even see the window where mine is placed.

QLC is a shitty storage technology that allows to build cheap yet less reliable ssd
go for TLC
processors don't matter you nigger
it's a question of which GPU not CPU

my biggest problem is finding one with both drive bays and a fan controller, but i think im just gonna have to get a dedicated one.

>fulltower
no wonder you have buyer's remorse

>difference is 5-10 frames at worst
Empirically wrong see or any other review really

It has no problems @stock don't fall for memes, get a case with airflow like the meshify c and a good air cooler and you are golden.

Attached: .gif (498x451, 3M)

This case is really great, modular if you need a blank, non windowed side etc.

Attached: Cooler-Master-MasterCase-Maker-5-Exploded-Parts-680x668.jpg (680x668, 52K)

>It has no problems @stock don't fall for memes
Ok m8, thanks, only waiting on the CPU now, I have the case and cooler from my last build.

I bought rgb ram because it was cheaper than non rgb ram from a deal. I don't mind it but it does get annoying at night

Attached: s2_pic.png (1089x793, 1.07M)

Can't you just shut it off?

I even went as far as unplugging the status lights on my case.

tell me about it.
its a giant fucking waste of space

Anyone using ryzen 3xxx on LTSC?

>can't get 3900x stable 4.3ghz all core
>settle for 4.2ghz
>start messing with ccx OCing
>get a stable 4.35ghz on first two sets and 4.3ghz on last two
I don't get why I couldn't get 4.3 on all cores yet with ccx OC I actually got better than 4.3.

They're more expensive and aren't worth buying unless you really need their features. HEDT CPUs from both AMD and Intel will generally perform worse in games compared to the top mainstream chips (9900K and 3900X) so there's simply no reason to buy HEDT unless you truly need the cores, PCIe lanes or memory channels. Most people simply don't and simply do not run any workload which would benefit at all.

>Is it true about 9900k running really hot?
Yes, 9900K runs hot because its "stock" configuration does not actually respect its TDP in order to increase performance. The CPU will all-core boost to 4.7GHz at "stock" and use significantly more power than the 95W TDP would suggest. You can make it stick to the TDP, in which case it performs worse but also runs cooler.

Yeah get a cramped, no cable area, no airflow, no mounting option hot case instead so it takes up 30% less space.
But is a cube, so takes up more lateral space.

970 is stuck at P8 clock speed (135~) on 3d rendering, no oc, low temps and cap usage

Is there a solution to this problem or atleast a way to lock it at max speed all the time?

Attached: 970.jpg (1600x900, 647K)

Thing is that MSI Afterburner made me biased but Asus is praised all the time and I want an Asus 2080 Ti

Software?

>Yes, 9900K runs hot because its "stock" configuration does not actually respect its TDP
Ah, that explains it a bit, I was tempted to get one for the new £400 price, ordered a 3700x instead. There were more options obviously. The low power draw on the 3700x for the performance seems very impressive. Haven't built it yet.

I built my PC in 2015 with minimal computer building knowledge. I mostly use it for games, but sometimes work. I am starting to see a decrease in performance across newer games. What are the best things I can do to improve my experience? I don't really have a budget, but I am pretty conservative with my cash.

Attached: specs.png (479x386, 21K)

they're talking about bloatware like what MSI throws onto a DVD for you in case you want to be retarded

Thoughts? I already own the video card and power supply, using them in my current build.

Attached: Untitled.png (1956x843, 111K)

will your PC fly off if I turn it on?

Yeah like MSI having their "dragoncenter" and Asus AI suite. I've heard that MSI software can brick your system but on the other hand they have the best OC tool which makes me think they have the best software.

Intel quad core with 4 threads + security patches is pretty bad nowadays even in games no matter how much you OC it. Also that GPU is getting old.

im autistic about cooling, so one day i hope to get to that point

>spending more money on your CPU cooler than your RAM

Attached: 1543237515737.jpg (525x525, 35K)

More ram, dual channel.