Any tips for building a server?

So I was wondering if you lads had any tips on building servers?

>What processor (AMD or Intel)?
>What motherboard?
>What HDDs and/or SSDs?
>What OS?

Attached: hp_proliant.jpg (795x451, 37K)

>>What processor
Intel btfo and pozed housefires wheelchair wheels and wood screws

I'm using my old ryzen 2600 as the CPU. I want to make an mITX so I'll be buying a mITX motherboard and mITX case that can hold tons of HDDs. I'll have a 120gb ssd as the OS drive and it'll probably run Ubuntu LTS

Just buy a used one

SuperMicro board with the features you require
Lots of ECC RAM
Whatever old case you happen to have lying around
Consumer grade UPS is probably fine

Any good second hand servers to look out for?
>HP
>IBM/Lenovo
>Other?

Here's my tips for servers

>What processor (AMD or Intel)?
That doesn't matter
>What motherboard?
That also doesn't matter
>What HDDs and/or SSDs?
That only matters depending on how you want your server to perform
>What OS?
That doesn't matter

People have run full-blown web servers with secure shell access on Commodore 64 machines with MOS 6502 CPUs, using Contiki OS on nothing more than a 5.25", 360 kB floppy drive and a NIC cartridge in its user cartridge port.

You can even run a web server on a 486 MS-DOS computer over dial-up, using the SIOUX server distribution on nothing more than a 720 kB floppy.

It all depends on what you want to purpose your server for.

>Intel socket 1366 20 to 40 bucks
>Supermicro 40 bucks
>LSI 9201 16i SAS card 20 to 100 bucks
>SFF 8087 to SATA cables 20 bucks
>Shucked 8tb Elements 130 bucks
>Refurbished 3tb SAS drives 30 bucks Kingston USB sticks in raidz1 for OS 20 bucks
>Freenas 11.2
Server pulls off ebay are your best bet.

>All questions 100% depend on use case.
Idk what you want to do with it user, but I ended up with a DL380P Gen8 12-bay LFF, with 64gb RAM and 2 x xeon e5-2430l as my main host / nas. Cost about $500 and has a good balance of power consumption / processing power.

For my pfsense box I got a Dell R210II with an E3-1220L

Download VMWare Player and build a virtual server for free :^)

>tfw physicalfags can't handle my cloud-based truth

Attached: imagine being at computers.png (391x311, 234K)

any neat things I can do with an HP proliant server?

Also any way to make it quieter? I tried removing all but 2 fans, but it then decides to running the remaining 2 at an ear piercing scream

Attached: hp_proliant_dl380_g7_-_copy.jpg (940x587, 38K)

HP or Dell, IBM is good but it is expensive and rare to find.
Xeon as a CPU, IBM Power is good but hard to use.

should be a low-power mode in the bios, also not having enough fans can cause them not to boot

pro equipment rackmounts use purely-lego cases.

its an industry insider secret.

Attached: rackmount.jpg (226x223, 10K)

remember to put it in a soundproofed room

those 2U and 1U rackmount's fans are like a fucking jet taking off.

>vms
>not migrating everything to docker-compose
Good goy

Are there 1RU or 2RU cases? I have an old PC I want to turn into a server and put into a rack.

Dell/HP are kinda nice.
I dont like Dells iDrac since they have that irritating licensing though.

If you want a more rebuildable server, get a SuperMicro. They are quite cheap but versatile.

Put all of them in. Set the bios. Os calms it down too. I use esxi.

>Any tips for building a server?
yes, put everything into raid 0

What happened to /hsg/?
I just bought a proliant 320e gen8 and some ssds so I can have a home server and the generals disappeared ~!

I still don't know:
what would be the recommended OS to use for a simple home media server (serving media and documents to windows machines)? would any flavor of Linux work well enough?

wow no fooling?

just replace the fans. if the heatsink uses passive cooling then the replace the heatsink with an active one.

hdd's dont need those 80mm 10k RPM fans.

1U? You're gonna have a bad time. Standard desktop motherboards have an IO backplate that's taller than 1U. You need a special mobo and backplate and then get to worry about cooling it with 40mm fans, which are the largest that'll fit.

2U is much easier. There are DIY 2U rack cases, most are for uATX boards but there are ones with a fill seven slots - those have a front-mounted PSU, get an SFX and reverse the fan. You'll have low-profile expansion slots but that's okay, 2U is big enough to fit 80mm fans which gives you a good selection of cooling options. Other than that, just make sure your HSF fits in the restrictive height limit.

BTW, 4U will fit standard PC components with no restrictions except that big tower coolers won't fit. That's the easiest way to do this, if you can spare 2U more.

literally Jow Forumshomelab has a whole intro wiki

Or if you're doing a home or small office server, you can just use a Xeon-driven workstation computer as your server hardware. Something like a Depp Precision T5500. They run quiet compared to 1U & 2U servers, plus they allow for 2 CPUs and plenty of RAM/storage space.

Cheers, super helpful

Why would you want a server? The noise is actually terrible.

>What OS?
Proxmox

leave

>implying Out of band management from any other manufacturer is any better about licensing

When should you use VMs and containers? I run everything on my physical server but would like to get exposure to both VMs and containers, just not sure what they should be used for.

I run nextcloud, plex, xmpp and thinking about running bind so I can resolve services on a local domain.

the "just fucking kill me already" build

Faggot post the orginial picture, this ons is from thst Windows button thread you absolute bingo

savemyserver.com

i'd believe that Jow Forums is ran on a 486 sometimes.

>>vms
He wasn't talking about vax and alphaservers' os tho.

if you dont fucking share what you actually want a server for we cant say anything

Personal or commercial?