Jow Forums > Jow Forums

Is Interactive Brokers good technology? Should I make an account?

I just want to play around with trading, maybe 100 USD. Maybe put more into mutual funds.

Attached: IB_TWS.png (1258x789, 155K)

bump for interest

Aren't you paying like $5 fees each time
So at an account size of $100 it's impossible to be profitable
Could be wrong

i used to use them some time ago. they've got a shitty c++ api you can use to automate your trades if you want. they're a decent broker but really only worth it for higher investments due to the way they charge fees

Is there anything other than crypto trading where someone can grind up a small account?

not really. most small amount investment platforms are ripoffs or straight up scams. for anything under a few k it's not really worth it unless you're doing high risk shit

let's say you are better than the best trader that will ever live and you make a 100% return in one year. congrats, you just make 100usd. most funds are considered good if they beat indexes, so 15% a year is extremelly great return. will you be able to make 100%?

>$100 account
waste of money.
not even sure IB will let you open an account with that.

make an account with ameritrade and use their thinkorswim platform to paper trade.

$100 to play with, a few thousand into mutual funds long term.

i wouldn't bother with less than 2k.
just not reasonable.

unless you're trading penny stocks, it's pointless.
in fact, even if you're trading penny stocks, it's pointless.

not trying to be a dick, just telling you how it is.
use the app and trade with paper money while you save up some cash to actually jump in with.

IB removed the 10k minimum a while ago. Now they only require 2k minimum only if you want to margin trade, otherwise there's no minimum.

You need at least 10k for an ib account, try something cheaper

This is completely wrong, funds are too big to profit significantly from small day trades and they're minimizing drawdown as much as going for returns

If OP hits a 10x in a year that's not too out of the ordinary for a small time trader and if he blows up he can try again, imagine a Fidelity mutual down saying yeah we're down 70% that's a disaster

mutual fund

Schaweb, Fidelity are good for US based investors

But IB has complicated charts and shit

Attached: russia before revolution 3.jpg (1024x857, 360K)

they are shit for day trading.

If you're using charts you're not an investor you are a trader and an idiot.

IB's charts are garbage.
their platform is dogshit that looks like it was made in the early 2000's.

>investors don't look at long time frame charts
you don't know what you're talking about, queer.

I was being hyperbolic to get my point across you fucking social dunce. Use your fucking head.

IB is used by industry traders. They're garbage if you're a retard. Go waste your money on robinhood fucking moron.

Industry traders use investment banks (prime brokerage).

Follow up question, is it worth it to day trade crypto if you have less than a thousand dollars? Also, has anyone used nadex before?

I fuckimg lost 3k last year gambling on shitweed stocks. My weak hands couls not take it so i left the rest of my 10k in random etf and almost fully recovered

>seething samefag

That's not what samefag means you idiot.

you seem confused

At $100 you're better off using something like RobinHood.

Attached: G8FKWyN.jpg (500x667, 87K)

I imagine Interactive Brokers is a paid service?
I work in the field and trust me user, you're better off signing up with a 100USD monthly investment in a mutual fund of your choice. Or even invest in relatively safe ETF's ("Don't look for the needle in the haystack. Just buy the haystack!").

your post doesn't make sense. there's no lower limit to the amount you need to spend

> unless you're doing high risk shit
if your strategy is actually successful small accounts compound into big ones very quickly

Don't, you'll get ripped off. Just put it in an ETF.

>t.work for big bank and used to work for a broker

The only people making big money are cheating and you don't have the information/tech advantage to cheat.

which broker did you work for?

>Played with $50k
>Rode the waves of a fast stock for an afternoon for funz and made $5k
Easy enough to do. Just need to play by a set of rules and not gamble.

at least 1k in 1 stock/fond etc.
if you dont want/can to invest 10k or more it dont make sense
the average growth is 7 percent per year
thats $700 per year - taxes, thats not very much if you dont have any spare money left

I have worked with this exact program before and holy shit it's so horrible