Bought a Udemy course on beginner JavaScript

>bought a Udemy course on beginner JavaScript
>the course is fucking terrible
>instructor barely explains anything behind the technical details and why certain codes carry out certain functions
>his “coding challenges” are too advanced for a fresh newbie and doesn’t take anything in small steps

Am I just a retard or is Udemy is scam? This was the highest rated JS course on the site and it had lots of positive feedback. Wtf?

Also, where’s a good place to start for beginner JS

Attached: F0D9718E-37A0-463C-B973-FB96066757DE.png (300x300, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

eloquentjavascript.net/
javascript.info/
learn.freecodecamp.org/javascript-algorithms-and-data-structures/basic-javascript/
github.com/getify/You-Dont-Know-JS/blob/master/README.md
addyosmani.com/resources/essentialjsdesignpatterns/book/
javascript30.com/
youtube.com/user/derekbanas/search?query=JavaScript
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/
javascript.info/
2ality.com/
javascript.info/)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Udemy is literally a curriculum made from average YouTube videos.

Paying for courses is a scam. Just use coursera, edx, or any of the free alternatives.

>paying for programming course
Why would you do that?

>Taking boot camp class
> Jow Forums says it's a scam
>Learning pretty quick
> Classmates are 40% industry managers that are trying to understand coders
>Guy that sits next to me works for a start up that just got a billion dollar Grant and wants to coordinate with me

The boot camp meme is kinda real

>listening to the bottom 1% of """humans"""" who scourge this website and r*ddit

Highest rated doesn't mean much. Many times the score seems to be influenced by the creator of the video, rather than the video quality, and some people who aren't particularly good at teaching, but are very good at making people buy their courses will be featured in many categories they don't even have experience.
I've learned to avoid a few of those people, whose courses are frequently on top of whatever I search.

There's a JavaScript course on Udemy called JavaScript - Understanding The Weird Parts

If you're just learning JS, I'd highly recommend it. It does a great job explaining the inner workings of JavaScript in depth. It's seriously a great course.

It does only cover mostly ES5 though, so I'd pair it with an ES6 JavaScript course so you can learn the latest features as well.

Attached: javascript-understanding-the-weird-parts.png (318x288, 46K)

Which city or bootcamp? Is it hard or do they baby step and dumb down everything for retarded noobs

They essentially baby step it at first, its an after work one so it's difficult because you have to manage your time. That said, they definitely teach you by forcing you to figure out shit really fast comparatively. I lucked out and got a good professor that was actually a CS major and Amazon employee.

I'm in the bay area, so your mileage will definitely vary.

Read. A. Book.
If you can't afford one/can't get one, download the book from Library Genesis.

Sololearn seems pretty good for learning the basics

On udemy for js I would only recommend Stephen grider's courses. That understanding the weird parts is ok. If you're looking to learn js I would also look at funfunfunction on youtube or Wes Bos (but pirate his paid courses cuz that shits not cheap!)

Why'd you recommend him? Anything special about this grider guy?

Hack Reactor?

>paying in the day and age of the internet.

let me guide you breh...

>eloquentjavascript.net/
>javascript.info/
>learn.freecodecamp.org/javascript-algorithms-and-data-structures/basic-javascript/
>github.com/getify/You-Dont-Know-JS/blob/master/README.md
>addyosmani.com/resources/essentialjsdesignpatterns/book/
>javascript30.com/
>youtube.com/user/derekbanas/search?query=JavaScript

Khan academy is great and it is literally free. You don't even need an account to save your progress.

just use the MDN web docs

developer.mozilla.org/en-US/

/!\ ALERT /!\
/!\ ALERT /!\
/!\ ALERT /!\

Udemy is a huge scam that rehosts free resource for money, more often than not without the original author's consent and without benefiting them in any way.

/!\ ALERT /!\
/!\ ALERT /!\
/!\ ALERT /!\

Literally every resource besides javascript.info/ and the books about ES6 and newer on 2ality.com/ are all outdated and sometimes even wrong.

/!\ ALERT /!\
/!\ ALERT /!\
/!\ ALERT /!\

user you retard.
Codecademy and Freecodecamp for ultrabasics.
You dont know JS (required reading to be an actual js dev and not a pajeet) for intermediate level.
Google for advanced.

The writer himself is absolutely clueless about JS, or just likes to pretend to be retarded. Neither is a good indicator of his abilities.

Listen, if you want to learn any web dev shit, search Traversy Media on youtube. That guy has proper crash course from scratch. He kind of speaks slow for me, I recommend using 1.25 or 1.5 playback speed.

If you want to learn more shit, Programming with Mosh is also excellent channel.

If you don't mind too long courses, try freecodecamp.org they have minium of 1 hour to average 3-4 hours course on everything.

>OP clearly can't program AT ALL
Reading docs isnt going to teach him the first baby steps efficiently.

Post some comfy youtube channel for programming. Anything short, proper and not a pajeet would suffice.

it has some good introductory articles as well

Read a book, nigger. No, youtube tutorial is not a book.

His courses are kept up to date (which is rare with the way libraries and frameworks move in JS) - he's extremely thorough and explains stuff from the ground up. You might speed up his videos but you'll never really miss big details. He doesnt' have a thick accent making him difficult to understand, and his tutorial apps include things like deployment so it's closer to writing for production and you leave with a better grasp of how to actually make a website.

I'd say his react courses are definitive and I credit the modern react with redux and full stack react courses with getting me a job. That combined with freecodecamp.

>spending a single cent when javascript.info/ exists

JS is a terrible beginner language
The tools suck
The language is full of foot guns
The multitude of runtimes all give different results
The package manager is a dumpster fire
Almost any language is a better first language vs JS

>JS is not a terrible beginner language, but not the best either
>The tools are amazing
>There aren't many and with good resources (like javascript.info/) you are made aware of the very few there are
>If that happens to you, then report the bug
>npm could be better indeed
>not really, there are many options that are far worse

Brad Traversy is the GOAT. His courses on Udemy are highly recommended. I'm following 'Modern JavaScript front to back' right now and I'm very pleased with it.

My first language was Pascal.
I'd risk saying it was a worst choice than JS.

Udemy can be hit or miss, I really liked The Complete Java Masterclass by Tim Buchaka for learning, I think most courses have a few sample videos so you can get an idea of them. Avoid courses made by pajeets like the plague, they can't explain for shit.

>>The tools are amazing
Amazingly bad. Try setting up your own react package for public consumption and tell me about how amazing the tools are again. Like, really configure webpack eslint chai jest typescript storybook and the mountain of other shit in your package.json, and for bonus points, do it without using google. I can autocomplete my way through a build file in my language.
>There aren't many [footguns]
pic related. I will guess you only know JS, so you don't have anything to compare against. That, or you only know even worse languages, like Rust

Attached: thegoodparts.jpg (3264x1836, 832K)

I make money with PHP and JS as a webdev.
In university I learned Java.
At home I play around with C#, F#, Python and C++.

>Spends all day at work writing PHP and JS
It shows

>PHP and JS as a webdev
Neck yourself, what a shitty stack.
You must be one of those shitty "webdevs" flooding the market.

All day is a stretch, I work 8 hours. Might also say I spend all day tinkering with C#, F#, Python and C++ going by that logic.

Also the most common stack, I'll work with what pays the bills.

Udemy is nigger tier