Are there any NAS appliances that are just x86 boxes that I can install whatever OS I want on them?

Are there any NAS appliances that are just x86 boxes that I can install whatever OS I want on them?

Attached: 172_1419592298_1.png (413x422, 243K)

Other urls found in this thread:

techpowerup.com/244596/intel-pentium-silver-j5005-catches-up-with-legendary-core-2-quad-q6600
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes, the one you diy.

>NAS appliances that are just x86 boxes that I can install whatever OS
why?
so you can have shitty proprietary hardware?

for the price of these shitboxes, you can just get a Dell PowerEdge T30

How many drives can I fit into this? Do I even need a Xeon for a nas or would an atom board work just as well?

>How many drives can I fit into this
>Do I even need a Xeon for a nas or would an atom board work just as well?
you can get a used core2duo for free if you check businesses recycle bins, CL, ask friends/fambly, etc.
Use the savings to buy drives

I have a core2quad and an atholon x2 sitting around but I'm worried about idle power draw

Attached: aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9GL0QvMTgwNjk3L29yaWdpbmFsL3BzdV9pZGxlX3Bvd2VyXy5wbmc=.png (450x194, 10K)

just build your own you fucking dumbass

but everyone recommends against it for some reason

>I'm worried about idle power draw
for the price of a 'nas device' you can permanently pay for the power consumption delta for the life of your drives

Get a kill a watt to verify

literally who

>spending $1k on a celeron/atom shitbox with only 2-4 SATA ports
vs
>spending $50 on a i3/board/ram/sata card and sticking it in a box

>sata card
I'd probably do with raid/sas

Not op but is there anything freenas can do that you cant do with samba instead?

So...
Computer?

Depending on your needs, just look for a used server hardware.
Go look for a HP Microserver or something if you must have something with a tray

>protip: the time you spend building and maintaining the system isn't free
I make $70 an hour. I'd rather not spend my spare time assembling computer components and hoping there are no firmware/compatibility issues. I found those activities worthwhile/interesting when I was thirteen, but now it'd be a chore.

Yes. Its called a used desktop tower. My X58 i7 server mobo bit the dust. Rebuilding it with a FREE core 2 duo 6700 4gb ram...

The drives are full so im limited to just hardware mirroring .. when i buy a new 10tb drive illl rebuild and go full ZFS...

totall cost so far $0... sometimes the slowing of moores law aint too bad ...

> power draw

this is mainly just for achiving hi-res audio so its not on 24/7

Attached: IMG_8458.jpg (3264x2448, 1.85M)

So:
>I want a system that just works
But
>I want to install my own OS so that I have to configure shit in order for it to work

Make up your mind

>buy a server with preinstalled and configured os
>build your own server
These are not the only options you dumb fuck.

techpowerup.com/244596/intel-pentium-silver-j5005-catches-up-with-legendary-core-2-quad-q6600

You want modern Intel Atom quad core CPU, they perform like C2Q at a fraction of power consumption

Buy a refurbished dell server.
Just got 12x 3TB drives, 128GB ram, 2x 2560 Xeons for $1500, but on the low end you can still get great deals for a few hundred dollars.

Refurbished UNAS box clone for 10 bux or so on taobao and any itx board you desire.

Attached: IMG_20190721_112821.jpg (1600x1200, 682K)

Sure. HP Microserver is one of them. Pick G8 if you can.