Why do you people have a problem with UAC? It literally prevents malware from running

Why do you people have a problem with UAC? It literally prevents malware from running.

Back in the XP days, I remember getting malware just from simply connecting an iPod to it.

This is literally like running Linux with root access, which no freetard ever does, and Linux is supposed to be "secure", yet they advocate you do it on Windows.

Attached: uac-prompt.png (456x336, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/gushmazuko/WinBypass
cvedetails.com/cve/CVE-2010-4398/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Nobody has a fucking problem with UAC, at least no more than with any other part of Windows
Boomers used to running everything as root had a problem with UAC in the Vista days, by now even they've accepted it

>Implying UAC would actually stop malware from infecting a computer
>Not knowing that UAC actually hinders normal operation under normal circumstances

>Why do you people have a problem with UAC? It literally prevents malware from running.
>malware injects keyboard input
>UAC: okay, you're free to run

>literally everyone click "yes" without even thinking about it
the SaveZoneInformation introduce in xp for downloaded files (checks file signature and warns/asks if you really want to open it, even if its not a executable) is far better than your uac shit

The fact that software installation needs root/admin rights is the biggest problem of all, on Linux or Windows
There is not a single god damn reason that a program that otherwise runs unprivileged when installed needs privileged rights to install

You can't do that because it runs something called "Secure desktop"
How secure it is i don't know

It's fine as long as it's not Windows 10 UAC.

The UAC on Windows 10 is an obtrusive piece of shit and I hope the Pajeets that made W10 all starve to death from painful explosive diarrhea.

>Use Windows 7
>Disabled UAC, Spectre & Meltdown patches & all other Windows updates
>secure for 6+ years

the fuck does this mean
it's still the yes/no box isn't it? it's been a while but it was the exact same from what i remember

It's inaccessible to anything other than user32.
You could get control of it with a device driver, but since you need admin to install one of those, it's a catch-22 for the budding malware writer.

This disables the Metro-style UAC and credential UI:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\TestHooks]
"XAMLCredUIAvailable"=dword:00000000

>he doesnt know that UAC is incredibly easy to bypass

Do tell, user.

>As long as its not win10 UAC
What do you mean?
The UAC hasnt chaged since 7.
Its quite literally the same thing, just with a different theme.

Attached: uac-prompt.gif (465x339, 37K)

>This is literally like running Linux with root access, which no freetard ever does, and Linux is supposed to be "secure", yet they advocate you do it on Windows.
When did you see a freetard suggest disabling UAC? Are you sure you didn't get a freetard mixed up with /v/ermin?
Not sure if a freetard would even suggest anything other than uninstalling Windows.

>yet they advocate you do it on Windows
They do. It's a false flag so they can keep claiming that Windows is insecure.

Funny, I've never seen anyone that wasn't a retarded gamer suggest that.

the only real problem was that all the pre-vista software that people already had required you to deal with it in order to do damn near anything. In the long run it's positive but in the short term it caused friction

To anyone actually editing their registry with Windows 10, Use group policy to apply the key instead of regedit

Which edits the registry.
I've always frowned on using the GP editor, it adds time to system bootup as it takes time out to apply the policies.

there are multiple of these and likely more to discover: github.com/gushmazuko/WinBypass

I'm an IT engineer so I disable that shit on my computers, but whenever a normalfag asks me to fix theirs I leave it on because I know normalfags and they will totally run AvengersEndgameNudeScene.exe

I've seen tons of freetards do it, for some of the most idiotic reasons - one seriously suggested a while back it was so he could change his system clock when he wanted to.
I just boggled and dismissed him.

>freetards
>using windows
???
You're full of shit.

>works on Windows 7
Aha, thought so. They're using the fact that MS (incredibly stupidly) changed UAC in Win7 to allow signed Windows apps to silently elevate.
Easily undone, of course, to restore its Vista-level power:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin"=dword:00000004

Every freetard uses Windows. They just pretend they don't. Everybody knows this.

>Why do you people have a problem with UAC?
The only people who ever had a problem with it were actual retards. They were used to installing shady shit all the time, and when UAC tried to stop them, they just considered it a nuisance and ignored the warnings. All of a sudden, they got hit with malware and don't know how.
UAC was intended as a tool for admins to prevent malware installation by moronic end-users, so it doesn't help if the admin himself is a fucking moron who installs everything he comes across.

Sure they both do the same thing but doing it manually with regedit is a one time deal and Windows update tends to be overly enthusiastic in "fixing" registry errors and often sets modified keys to default during some updates
GP just makes sure they are always applied and is closer to how Windows machines are actually managed

Well the premise is that there are certain built-in Windows applications like the local license activation dialog that requires administrative privileges but is able to run without prompting the user for "a more cohesive user experience" that in turn can be abused to get any arbitrary executable to run with elevated privileges on demand.

>during some updates
Since I use LTSB/C (and you should too), I don't have this problem.

Exactly. Hence why MS was incredibly stupid doing this.
He who trades security for ease of use deserves neither.

I'm not even a freetard and I don't, with maybe a minuscule exception like Windows in a VM with USB passthrough for unlocking the bootloader on my Android with some proprietary Windows-only OEM software.
If they use Windows, then they're simply not a freetard. No freetard would willingly subject themselves to Windows full-time.

I don't bother with LTSC
I somewhat look forward to build updates

You aren't alone, I know plenty of people who like the feature updates. If you like them, enjoy.

>downloaded photoshop
>Windows Defender flags it as malware, ignore
>open it up, blocked again
>disable windows defender
>open it, asks for admin rights
>grant it
>it immedietly starts installing a bazillion malware applications

And that's the story of how I got malware on my shitty chink tablet

WHY IS WINDOWS SO SHIT? /sarcasm

Was it a fullscreen notification on Win 7? I can't remember...
It is on 10. Kinda annoying.

>full-time
I didn't say that.
>I'm not even a freetard
No, you're just your standard-issue retard.

Pretty much the life story of everyone who hates Windows.

Attached: 1475832353308.png (449x442, 137K)

There's something to the freetard tendency to say "your fault (core dumped)" to every request for help with Linux - they're usually right.

Oh, you can change it not to.
Nevermind.

Note that it's there for security reasons.
The whole "secure desktop" thing is because some program/website can fake a UAC prompt and harvest your credentials in OTS mode.

I can't remember either, but if that is your qualm with win10 uac just turn it down one notch in the control panel.
Doesn't dim or clear the screen, just pops up a uac window.

>made up bullshit
k

>Pretty much the life story of everyone who uses Windows.
Fixed. Although most users hate Windows but don't know any better.

>proven fact that everyone can read
FTFY. You're welcome.

>can't operate windows
>this is windows fault
Every time.

>>can't operate windows
>>this is windows fault
>Every time.
Microsoft never claimed their stuff was user friendly.
There are OSs that are intuitive and easy to understand.

I like (most of) the new features, but the cons of non-LTSC Window 10 outweigh the pros.

I don't agree, but I doubt your use case matches mine, so... pic related.

Attached: 902.jpg (1000x800, 61K)

I setup all my Linux setups to run as root all the time.
My one windows 10 system for games also uses the administrator account with the uac faggotry disabled.
I even disabled the related services.

This. It's like driving. Eventually you need to be able to control the vehicle on your own and not fuck up horribly.

UAC is CVE heaven. Most losedows users just blindly hit "Yes" anyways.

>CVE heaven
>one CVE in thirteen years (back in 2011)
Audible kek.

running as root/admin is like driving with your seatbelt off

sure it's more comfortable, but you're more likely to be seriously injured in case of a crash

also some IRC networks will ban you outright if you're using root to connect, because it's... guess what.... insecure.

The issue is when the screen goes black and uac is not appearing.

Toggling the resolution/scaling fixes it but... Why

>Not knowing that NOT having UAC enabled hinders normal operation
go and stay go

cvedetails.com/cve/CVE-2010-4398/
It's really not that hard to find more. now kill yourself :-)