/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 3200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600 - Good gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>R7 3700X - Overkill gaming CPU
>R7 1700X - Budget video editing
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks

RAM:
>Do not use a single DIMM. 2 sticks ONLY for a typical dual channel CPU
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 3200CL16 or Micron E-die ("AES" in code) recommended
>AMD B & X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP
>B-die is EOL, stock is limited

GPUs based on current pricing:
1080p
>RX 570/580 8GB - Can be found on sale/used for cheap. Look for 570s which are >1240MHz boost
>GTX 1660 - higher fps / more demanding games
>RX 5700 - even higher FPS
1440p
>RX 5700 - basic
>RX 5700XT - standard
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2070S OC - budget option. Turing performance scales better into 4K than Navi does.
>2080Ti - best for 4K but expensive

>Navi AIB models come mid-August. 5700 blower is alright, due to low power.

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Yes, adaptive sync (free/g/sync) is important
>SSD Guide (250GB+ SATA bare minimums): i.imgur.com/79MYtoE.png
>NVMe isn't better than SATA SSD for gaming
>"Bottleneck checker" sites don't work
>Don't use Speccy
>AM4 VRMs + Monitors under "more"

more: rentry.co/pcbg-more
prev

Attached: 2019_7-3_UselessMS.png (1024x576, 41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/product/ZBZ2FT/aoc-monitor-g2460pf)
pcpartpicker.com/product/QXTPxr/acer-kg271u-abmiipx-270-2560x1440-144-hz-monitor-kg271u-abmiipx)
pcpartpicker.com/product/Dc97YJ/viotek-gft27db-270-2560x1440-144-hz-monitor-gft27db
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>RAM advice doesn't mention anything about dual-rank and how it BTFOs frequency and timing

lol

>make a middle of the road build
>needs a 500$+ monitor to make use of it
>buy a cheap monitor
>no point in using anything but cheapo parts
there is no happy middle ground

you don't have to pay 500 for a 1440p/144hz monitor, especially if you're NA.

What was your first GPU /pcbg/?
Geforce FX5700 here

GF2MX200

considering buying 2x16GB instead of 2x8GB
the PC I'm planning to build is something I'm going to make last at least a decade (I made a $100 PC I bought off of craigslist with parts from 2007 last nearly a decade, so I think I can do it, debloating and tweaking shit works wonders and I have no interest in the majority of new games anyways)

what can I do with extra RAM in the meantime while I'm waiting for anything to actually take 32GB? or what games right now benefit the most from more RAM than you need?

I can't go back and check since that old PC is long gone, it had a bulky CRT monitor so it was pretty old
the furthest back I can say is the geforce 9500 gt

With how browsers are progressing, or shall we say, web pages, you're eventually gonna need 32GB if you intend to play games while keeping a decent amount of tabs open. Hell, my current laptop has 32GB and when I get a new one in 5 years, I'm aiming either for 64/128GB RAM.

240hz monitors are $400 new and $250 second-hand

Can someone besides the goddamn resident AMD shill tell me whether or not AMD cards actually have issues with older games? It's the only factor that's holding me back from buying a 5700xt vs a 2070S.

Attached: 1368338932048.png (636x720, 649K)

Buy both and try to SLI them. If that doesn't work, use crossfire.

no

Doesn't amd suck at dx11 and dx9?

bit of a pointless question but what would a build minimizing input lag as much as possible look like?
AMD card for antilag + 144hz (or more) 1ms response time TN panel monitor with adaptive sync and 1ms peripherals? is there anything else I'm forgetting? what would it all add up to? less than 10ms?

If minimizing input lag was your only objective, surely 240hz would be better, fuck the resolution.

No, retard.

Attached: 0.jpg (1212x1346, 563K)

Could I get some recommendation for 1440p monitors here? What I want is:
>27''
> VA / IPS
>Freesync + LFC
>around $300-400
Is it doable?

Attached: 1556904504500.jpg (640x640, 172K)

AMD drivers are absolute dick at emulation yeah

What's the best x570 mobo? Can someone link detailed reviews, like mosfet quality etc? I've been out of the loop for a while

So that's a yes then?

Attached: 1562692717.jpg (419x968, 63K)

No. AMD does well in a lot of newer DX11 games.
DX9 is hit or miss. Some super old DX9 games there are graphical glitches or crashes. But same happens with some Nvidia GPUs on DX9.
Some games, yes. The only way you're going to play Windows XP games perfectly is with Windows XP, a GPU from that era, and drivers from that era.

Anti-lag doesn't do anything if you can't output frames well beyond your monitor's refresh rate.
So it does something on CSGO, where you can get 300-500FPS and you have a 144hz screen. But it won't do anything when you barely push 144hz to begin with.

Gigabyte's top end $700 board has the best VRMs.

Hello lads.
Is it still worthwhile to get a Vega 56 for 1080p gaming instead of a shilling out more for a newer card? I can get a 56 for £220 bongs. The next closest cards are the 1660 ti for £250, rtx 2060 for £290, and the rx 5700 for £340. Should I wait for the 5700 prices to drop?

resolution and framerate?

So I got this well budgeted PC ready to do order for some nice 1440p 144hz gaming and then I realize that when I have to order the 27inch monitor they're all expensive as fuck and it ruins my budget completely. What is the point of 1440p then? I should just stay in 1080p even though it's 2019 and GPUs are obliterating 1080p and approaching 4k?

I want buy 1440p 144hz monitor
Which isn't piece of shit
Help

xf270hua ~400, pixio and viewsonic have models around 300

Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master

You lost all credibility when you said the 5700xt compares to the 1080ti. KYS shill

AMD doesn't really offer driver support for older titles so everything has to be brute-forced to work. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. In general AMD GPU's have problem with DirectX 9 / DrectX 10 games as AMD dropped support for DirectX 9 / DirectX 10 one year ago. Roll back to previous driver version if you're using an older AMD GPU or consider not playing DirectX 9 / DirectX 10 titles as new AMD GPU's don't support them.

Never buy AMD graphics cards you mongoloids

Its kind of hellish trying to find one. If you're ok with TN then its going to be easier. I wanted an IPS so I ended up shelling out over five hundred dollars for some acer predator model. I looked at a lot of 300-400 stuff but the cheaper acer models had some flickering and that scared me off. I would consider that 300$ viotek model the op recommends, I think it comes in either TN or VA, and its a samsung panel.

Too late

Why?
I can get freesync support, cheapest gsync monitor is still a lot

Why are you so mad? It trades blows with the 1080ti where it matters (new games) and trails slightly at old games.

>I can get freesync support
But you can still get that with nvidia cards...

Bump. I'm upgrading from an r9 280x BTW.

GeForce 4, but I can't remember which exact model

I don't own a 1440p monitor but from what I've heard 1440p looks best on a 27" or bigger monitor, and anything below 24' isn't worth the performance or budget cost
I personally am going for a 24" 1080p 144hz
(pcpartpicker.com/product/ZBZ2FT/aoc-monitor-g2460pf)
and the logic I justified it with is that I'm prioritizing input lag and framerate above resolution. on top of that, 1080p is pretty standard, so pretty much all movies and anime will be in 1080p, and in videogames going with 1080p allows for more performance. it's a preference though, if you'd rather go with 27" 1440p you'll either have to spend more or settle with 60hz
according to a quick pcpartpicker search, the cheapest you can get a 27" 1440p 144hz is $250, and all the others are $300+
(pcpartpicker.com/product/QXTPxr/acer-kg271u-abmiipx-270-2560x1440-144-hz-monitor-kg271u-abmiipx)

It's always the same shit with you. You cherry pick everything.

Yes vega56 is overkill for 1080p 60hz. You can easily push 1080p 144hz with it.

Nvidia supports freesync you dumb faggot.

Because chances are you are getting a meme product that will make you feel the buyers remorse. Just look at Vega 64 and Radeon VII for example.

>You cherry pick everything
no u

I mean at that price, may as well, even though it's overkill. It's like 3x faster than your current card.
>5700 price drop
Not happening any time soon since it's the best in the price range

IT'S ALL OGRE. I REPEAT, ALL OGRE
NVIDIA CANT COMPETE

Attached: FH4.png (1363x1213, 77K)

I just purchased an MSI MAG271CQR.
It hasn't come yet, but it seems to be a good deal for what you're getting.
The other thing people are recommending are the Acer Nitros.

I bought a 1700x, a b350 board and 16 gigs of ram combo for like 220 euros (although used) in the shithole of a country in Eastern Europe I live in and damn, the performance is crazy good.

Wow, one of the two games that performs well on AMD

I will get a 1080p 144hz monitor

>Radeon VII
You know something is bad when your rival CEO says it is underwhelming.

Keep posting the same cherry picked benchmarks. Maybe some poor sap will believe you one day.

It makes no sense to get nvidia in my country when the vega 56 is way cheaper than the 1660ti or 2060.

Whoa, I didn't know this was such a hot topic.
If I can shill this thing a little harder, the CQR seems to hit all the spots.
1440p, 144Hz, 27", 3000:1, VA, 1ms, 400nit, ~400USD, curved, Free-sync (functioning g-sync), reputable company
If you don't want the curved display, the Acer seems to be the best parallel. Or not parallel, depending on how you think about it...

i keep reading that overclocking Ryzen CPUs is not worth it most of the time. is it true?

For the third gen stuff, yes. The previous ones do get some performance uplifts though, albeit nothing crazy, as they can't be overclocked that much.

They're already pushed to the max right off the box, overclocking gives little headroom.

COBE :DD

Attached: WWZ.png (1363x1213, 77K)

Are Scythe fans any good?
I read that some are quieter than noctuas

Attached: 12.jpg (800x800, 322K)

i actually don’t remember, it’s before i was into specs and more into gaming.
but i do remember it breaking and replacing it with hd 6770.
now i have 9700kf and rx5700xt and all i do is browsing through pc part deals on it.

Not with Navi, according to benches I've seen. Although between 2070S and 5700XT, 2070S wins. 5700XT/2060S is a different story, XT wins in games while having the same price.

Looks like I'm gonna have to shell out 400 bucks to justify my 1440p mid-tier rig. And then it'll all be outdated in 2 and a half years.

Thanks I will check it out. For fuck's sake shopping for monitors is definitely the worst part of building your own rig. When you get out of the 24'' / 1080p range costs and problems start to increase exponentially.

If you can get to 4.3ghz on all cores you gain about a 6% to 10% increase depending on what your doing. All in all Ryzen is ass for OCing. You can get into ccx OCing but its mainly for benchmarks as trying to get anything stable over 4.3ghz is pretty hard.

Don't forget that 2060S has muh gaytracing hardware support

so this is the first time I'm hearing about this so now I'm curious
I've never had multiple GPUs but would getting some old GPU as a second GPU for DX9 or older DX11 games be wise? how does having multiple GPUs work? I'm planning on getting a 5700, but I also play a lot of really old games from pretty much every generation, and I'm planning to do a lot of emulation too. so would getting a second GPU be the best solution or is there a better solution? if getting a second GPU would be a good idea, what one would be the best choice?

forza 4
strange brigade
battlefield 1/5
world war z

if you play, or have any interest in playing those and stick to those games you'll have a good time with navi.

LG 34" 34UC79G-B
what do you think of this monitor?
144hz, freesync, AH-IPS, 34'', 2560 x 1080, curved, less than 500€

Attached: jWv75HyVfdoG9N7z3zFAY3.jpg (3186x1792, 3.34M)

The best solution would be to just buy NVIDIA.

I'd recommend this $300 monitor if you want 1ms TN panel
pcpartpicker.com/product/Dc97YJ/viotek-gft27db-270-2560x1440-144-hz-monitor-gft27db
you should look up and make sure it's g-sync compatible if you have an nvidia card though

no

Nah, multi GPU is shit. Just get a 2070s, or the 5700xt.

I can't speak for modern day AMD cards I had some issues getting Morrowind running on my 290x. But I don't know if this is do to my 290x or the fact that I was trying to run a game made for windows xp on Windows 10.

>1ms

Doesn't exist.
You should not be so gullible. 1ms is not even close to possible at this refresh rate.

Attached: lag.png (680x745, 103K)

>vega56 is overkill for 1080p 60hz
That's just not true. Nothing is overkill for anything depending on the goal. If you're targeting solid 60++ at ultra settings, even at 1080p, you have to get a 2060S or equivalent. For 1440p a 2070S will do just fine or a 2080S if you want it to last a year or two longer. But if you're okay with turning down settings a bit(or a lot) you can get away with weaker cards. So no, blanket statements like "X is overkill" and "Y is too weak" only show your ignorance.

>curved
bin

well I am going with win7 which supports older games far better
now I'm actually curious how much of the shit saying AMD doesn't support dx9 or dx11 have to do with win10

Seems like a weird as fuck monitor

Now get it out of your system and post Doom, Strange Brigade and Sniper Elite 4. The Quintett of most optimized modern games.

All of those suck except maybe fh4 if you are into racing

>3 games
>quintet
That's a triplet you retarded fucknigger

>the fact that I was trying to run a game made for windows xp on Windows 10.
This is 99% of it despite Nvidia shills claiming otherwise. They rely on FUD like that.

+Forza and World War Z
Are you legit retarded?

>ultrawide
>curved
not for me but if you like those things go for it user

and here, I'm going to settle with this answer, at worst I'll find a fix after I build my PC
still curious why multi gpu is considered shit though, I thought having a cheap old GPU for old games would be a perfect solution but I don't know how multi gpu works

the point of building your own rig isn't to guarantee it's going to never be outdated, it's to piece together a machine that will holistically serve you into the foreseeable future.
You want a machine where each piece of hardware balances each other, with no bottlenecking, etc.
If you pick a monitor that pretty much matches the output of your videocard, you'll be better off in the long run, and get the most out of your videocard in the mean time, which in turn will feign off the urge to upgrade to something else prematurely.

All the computers I've built worked together as a complete unit for years and years, only upgrading memory and storage to keep up with software bloat.

>>NVMe isn't better than SATA SSD for gaming
unless you don't value your time, of course

Like we said, you'd need to run an older GPU, older windows, and older driver. You'd need a totally different OS install.
You could do that, and dual boot, sure, with Windows XP or maybe Win7 configured to use the older GPU.

Why is some guy shilling for nvidia ITT and getting away with it???

I'll consider doing that as well, I wouldn't mind dual booting for that
I'll just build my PC first and see if there are any problems
thanks for the advice user

Windows doesn't work that way. It can't run 2 different driver stacks for 2 dGPUs concurrently.

huh I see
kind of a shame, I thought that'd be a great solution, for only like $50 at most
still can probably dual boot and have another version of win7 (or XP if I needed to but win7 supports almost all XP games as far as I'm aware) specifically for old games that uses the cheap gpu for old games

isn't it like 1 or 2 seconds difference the majority of the time?

A 2.75 slot GPU makes the 3rd slot unusable, right?

Because most of us regulars just don't care enough. It doesn't matter how many times he's refuted, he'll spam the same proven lies. Just focus on helping people who need help/advice.

It actually can. Windows 10 seems to handle it better than in the past.
See how people ran Freesync with an Nvidia GPU by doing passthrough through an AMD GPU/iGPU.

Yes

I've been flip flopping around with the parts, but I got these at the moment.
>Ryzen 5 3600
>MSI - MPG X570 GAMING PLUS
>Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Mem
>Crucial - MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
>5700xt (waiting till next month)
>Corsair - CX 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX
The only thing I'm not sure about is the power supply, it was from my previous build and I'm not entirely certain if it's enough.

post yfw AIB 5700/5700xts come out and they're still hot and loud as fuck

Attached: 1561326380011.png (224x216, 94K)

>Ref 5700 XT when literally thousands of people on their official forums and news outlets report artifacting while running at 90-95 degrees under load
I think the only AMD shill here is you.

>It actually can. Windows 10 seems to handle it better than in the past.
the user he was replying to here, I'm not going to be using win10
the reason I was considering multiple GPUs in the first place was to get an older GPU to ensure dx9 and old games have support, win10 doesn't support old games as well as win7, even if it did win10 is a firm no for me

Sounds doable on linux with gpu passthrough