/hsg/ Home Server General

Didn't see a HSG.
I don't have the OP copypasta edition.

I'm planning to buy 2 HPE Proliant Microserver Gen10 and build a nice little homenetwork / virtual lab with it. Already have a desktop and a laptop.

I want to get certified.

Attached: 91rhCuJWjzL._SX425_.jpg (425x319, 17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/asciimoo/searx/wiki/Installation-on-RHEL-7---CentOS-7
ebay.com/itm/Supermicro-4U-SAS2-Storage-2x-E5-2620-16GB-LSI-9265-8I-Rails/383001589533?
hsg.shortlink.club/doku.php?id=op_template
hsg.shortlink.club/
pastebin.com/SXuHp12J
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
old.reddit.com/r/datahoarder
labgopher.com
reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/index
wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features
riot.im/app/#/room/#homeservergeneral:matrix.org
amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/3D5MUHQP20ZRA/
youtube.com/watch?v=MqxwY3haYos
newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007629 601331185
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What are some other things I can do, I want to buy a third, I am going with microservers because noise.

github.com/asciimoo/searx/wiki/Installation-on-RHEL-7---CentOS-7

I'm ready boys, how many tb is good for a Nas? 20, 30? Freenas raid-z2 of course.

Attached: IMG_20190721_071122.jpg (4048x3036, 3.49M)

Depends on your use-case, you want full hoard mode? I guess 30TB+

Looking at buying a used supermicro server like this
ebay.com/itm/Supermicro-4U-SAS2-Storage-2x-E5-2620-16GB-LSI-9265-8I-Rails/383001589533?
Looking to hoard all kinds of data as I have observed the gradual destruction of internet knowledge and media over the last decade. I fear for the future. Also shittons of media of course.
Probably gonna start with a 12 drive vdev to start, probably 4tb drives then later add another 12 vdev to fill out the hotswap bays. That would be a cool 60tb when finished out.

hsg.shortlink.club/doku.php?id=op_template
^OP pasta

NAS is how most people get into this. It’s nice have a /comfy/ home for all your data. Streaming your movies/shows around the house and to friends is good feels. Repurpose an old desktop, buy a SBC, or go with cheap used enterprise gear. Lots of options and theres even a flowchart. Ask.
/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualization. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a pfsense box and configuring some vlans. Theres always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re godtier already? Setup openstack and report back.
>What software should I run?
install gentoo. Or whatever flavor of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Jellyfin to replace netflix, nextcloud to replace googlel, ampache to replace spotify, the list goes on and on. Look at the awesome selfhosted list and ask.
>Datahoarding ok here?
YES - you are in good company. Shuck those easystores and flash IT mode on your H310. All datahoarding talk welcome.
>Do I need a rack and all that noisey enterprise gear?
No. An old laptop or rpi can be a server if you want.
>A T T E N T I O N:
>The /hsg/ wiki is up!
hsg.shortlink.club/
>Links
server tips: pastebin.com/SXuHp12J
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
old.reddit.com/r/datahoarder
labgopher.com
reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/index
wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features
>Chat
irc.rizon.net #_hsg_
riot.im/app/#/room/#homeservergeneral:matrix.org

Is there a newer version of pirated unraid that 6.6.6? Don't want to pay over 100 bux for unlimited license only to bind it to a shitty USB stick.

>NAS is how most people get into this. It’s nice have a /comfy/ home for all your data. Streaming your movies/shows around the house and to friends is good feels. Repurpose an old desktop, buy a SBC, or go with cheap used enterprise gear. Lots of options and theres even a flowchart. Ask.
>/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualization. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a pfsense box and configuring some vlans. Theres always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re godtier already? Setup openstack and report back.
>>What software should I run?
>install gentoo. Or whatever flavor of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Jellyfin to replace netflix, nextcloud to replace googlel, ampache to replace spotify, the list goes on and on. Look at the awesome selfhosted list and ask.
>>Datahoarding ok here?
>YES - you are in good company. Shuck those easystores and flash IT mode on your H310. All datahoarding talk welcome.
>>Do I need a rack and all that noisey enterprise gear?
>No. An old laptop or rpi can be a server if you want.
>>A T T E N T I O N:
>>The /hsg/ wiki is up!
>hsg.shortlink.club/
>>Links
>server tips: pastebin.com/SXuHp12J
>github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
>old.reddit.com/r/datahoarder
>labgopher.com
>reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/index
>wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features
>>Chat
>irc.rizon.net #_hsg_
>riot.im/app/#/room/#homeservergeneral:matrix.org
Thanks user, saving this.

How does a multi-bay HDD enclosure present itself to Linux (Debian 10)? I'm thinking of buying one.
I have a 24/7 router (an x86 mini-pc that has USB3.0 ports) that I also want to run as samba file server. I don't want to get a NAS unless I can install an arbitrary OS on it, and I already have existing software (mdadm) raid 5 disks that I want to migrate.
So my plan is to buy a HDD enclosure and insert those disks in, and attach it to my router via USB3 (bandwidth isn't such a big deal to me)

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's sad that it happens

Is it worth using a business optiplex for a cheap first home server?
I might get around to building an actual NAS or a server for VMs, but I’m poor right now

Currently have this. I'm running several docker containers on this laptop:
syncthing
rtorrent/rutorrent
nginx/php-fpm
minidlna for some family photos and videos
pihole
netdata for monitoring

I also use it for work related stuff, such as tinkering with zabbix or testing shit inside docker. I'm thinking of upgrading this. I have older desktop computer with socket 1155. Should I go for it or buy some used enterprise machine? What would you guys do?

Attached: Screenshot_20190721_153533.png (602x471, 36K)

I threw together the first version of this list sometime last year. Here's an updated version of my Mighty Mini Cube Server.
amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/3D5MUHQP20ZRA/
(Picture from first iteration, components may be slightly different.)

Attached: IMG_20180602_170947.jpg (4032x3024, 3.3M)

I bought the little one 8Gib, when it was real cheap 250$. Its not super noisy but not silent. Fan has super proprietary connector.

>Business optiplex
Specs?

Currently running opnsense on an SB Pentium and Proxmox with ZFS as NAS and a number of other things (Nginx, Seafile, Shadowsocks) on a 4C/4T SB Xeon E3.

I want to add some monitoring. Opnsense has Monit builtin but I was looking at something like Zabbix perhaps? Also a solution for keeping all the LXC containers up to date would be nice.

why should I build a server when I can just use my PC to store my anime files with ease?

to do serving

Has there been any word on when/if HP will update that garbage Gen 10 with something better?

Limit to max number of drives. Consumer processors lack in pcie lanes which limits the amount of HBAs and physical drives you can attach drastically. At any kind of acceptable speed anyway. You could cold storage all your anime and just dock certain drives when necessary but that is more inconvenient.

I could fit up to 16 drives in my PC though with some sata cards. With 16 14TB hard drives I'd have so much storage space than I'd ever need

Are 16tb drives still shingled or are we past that yet?

Sorry 14tb drives.

SATA Port Multiplier

I mentioned HBAs, it doesn't change the fact you only have so many pcie lanes and with enough port cards of any kind you will saturate the bus. Unless you like 8 drives fighting for a single 6gb connection.

there 16tb hard drives now but more worse value. You can buy $130 wd 10tb external hard drives though if you want good value

How many drives we are talking about?
4.0 pcie x16 is 31~Gbit/s

All of them

do you think that a Pentium G3240T is powerful enough to run at least nextcloud, pihole and a torrent client?

>nextcloud, pihole
stop using söyware

I am in the market for a home server. Is there anything I should know before I purchase a second hand tower or micro style server ? (probably hp proliant or dell poweredge) My only real concern is noise (can't be louder than a standard PC with basic fans) and that it can support several standard HDD or SSD.

what am I supposed to use then? I need a gdrive replacement and a recursive dns server

>My only real concern is noise (can't be louder than a standard PC with basic fans)
LOL

lelnovo one.
xeon 1275l v3, 16GB DDR3L-1600 RAM, internal 500GB SSD, external two USB 3.0 1TB drives and wifi 7260ac for commucation with car.

Does everything from smb file sharing to game servers, website, databases and torrent daemon. It's also a remote workspace via VPN from work and node for car dashcam downloading and alarm functionality.

Attached: IMG_20190721_161854.jpg (3968x2976, 1.91M)

vs(sh)ftp and pfsense

>PCIe3
how much did you get that for?

youtube.com/watch?v=MqxwY3haYos

Attached: noise.png (1100x821, 1.16M)

$150 with shipping but it's already flashed to the right firmware and ready to rumble.

Is it even worth buying enterprise stuff now that Ryzen 2 is out ? Something like the AMD Ryzen 7 2700 has very good multicore and single core performance. I don't need ECC support, dual NICs, dual power-supplies, hot swappable anything, etc seems like in terms of basic compute the offerings are actually pretty bad in comparison.

ryzen has ECC support

>don't need ECC
what about RAID? or self-healing file systems?

>Fractal Design R6 can fit 11 3.5" drives and 4 2.5" drives
>Get 8 sata port gaming motherboard for personal computer for games and mass storage
>buy 2 sata controllers or raid cards for more sata ports
Easy mass storage when you aren't planning on going for more than 200TB of storage.

The only uses of Home servers imo would be if you want to have other devices connect to it which most people don't really. Or for Raid config which is just a pain to setup and lots of things can go wrong.

looking to build a server from scratch, it's gonna host dedicated vidya servers and be NAS. what should I put under the hood and how can I get into this easily?

>4U rack p4 3 ghz 1gb ram Adaptec SA2410 controller 4 sata ports

How much should I bid? I'm thinking of $20.

Don't buy the HPE. It's way too loud.

for my personal use case that is not important as I am not simulating a production environment and can simply run manual backups whenever necessary. but it is a good point depending on what you exactly plan for your home server.

so I got a used proliant gen8 up and running with ubuntu server.
I don't know what the most linux/samba 'orthodox' way is to set up the arrays and serve files
the drive arrays are configured as follows:
-boot drive
-2x 2TB drives in raid 1
-2x 2TB drives in raid 1
currently the storage arrays are formatted NTFS, but I could change that. They show up to ubuntu as dev/sdb/ and dev/sdc/.
my plan was to serve the main array and use the second array as a local backup (not served)
basically all the samba tutorials have me making a local directory in the linux file system and serving that. Do I then just make a symlink from that directory to the storage array? or is it kosher to directly try and make samba serve up something like /dev/sdb/?

> Lots of options and theres even a flowchart. Ask.
Gib flochart!

Attached: gib.png (778x512, 47K)

what if your files get corrupted and you'll be backing up damanged files? Your ext3/4 file system won't even tell you it's corrupted as it doesn't store control sum of each file. Unlike btrfs...

then nothing of value is lost!

then what's the point of having a server? Why won't you just use a local computer as a server for other devices? Or just keep everything locally?

buying a used business server is cheap and straightforward
i think getting a dedicated nas is a good idea first, most people want the nas separate, in case the server gets fukt

You are assuming the server has to be the origin for the data, like a game server or website with a database. A server can just be a useful distribution point for data that came from cold storage or another computer.

I'm not assuming anything. Just asking questions about the purpose of your server.

Why'd you opt for the PS4 slim over the Pro? The 1080p performance of the Pro is a huge leap ahead.

System integrator NAS products kinda suck though. You pay for crappy features you don't want like hardware acceleration for things you didn't ask for and typically locked into whatever hardware configuration existed out of the box. Making a dedicated NAS is smart I just would use server or PC hardware to make one.

I take this back. After sourcing all the additional parts you need for a finished build it really adds up. That $200 CPU power doesn't exist in a vacuum.

>bought myself a chenbro cleversafe
>need a excuse to buy 40 more hard drives
>can't actually use that many because it has gimped sas expanders
is there any way I could convert it all to direct attach?

compartmentalization makes things a lot nicer

this
I have a server meant only for freenas (just enough ram, cpu isn't anything special) and one for VM's (192GB RAM, 2 16 core cpu's)

I never visit those threads but if you make a general you need to keep your private post separate from it as a reply. polite sejj

because I wanted it to be cheap. I prefer gayming on a desktop. PS4 is only for the last of us, uncharted and god of war. And some older multiplayer games to play with friends like bf4

So I'm about to replace my 3930k with a 3700x do you guys think the 3930k would make a good processor for a small server? I plan to host two Minecraft servers and a seedbox, I'm already hosting the two Minecraft servers on a t440p with proxmox installed, also I have 16gb of ddr3 on this 3930k build

Attached: 1512609571759.png (483x487, 196K)

What are some projects to start messing with homelabs? I've only got 8GB of ram in my pc and got a spare ott tv box around, maybe I could use it like a raspberry or something

>>/cancer/

What do you plan on doing with the server?

Hurr durr. I can't read.

Yeah that will probably be good enough for that server. You might run out of RAM before before needing to replace the CPU.

The G10 Micro is horseshit, go for a desktop case server instead.
The G8 Micro was perfect with cached/BBU Raid and an E3 CPU

Yeah that's what I was afraid of, I think I'll upgrade to 32 gb since that's the most my motherboard can handle

Hello frens I need some help.
So I'm currently downloading a lot of shit to archive since YouTube has gone full authoritarian mode and I want a second hard drive to back shit onto. I'm kind of a poor fag college student so I'm gonna buy a hard drive them just put it in a drawer somewhere once I back up everything I need. Should I bother getting a Nas drive for future use when I eventually make a server/Nas or should I just buy a cheap wd blue for half the price and wait until am richfag?

My nas has a 1u flex server psu? is it okay to run this thing in 90f + heat? there are no cables blocking airflow for the psu. I just get the feeling it was meant to be used in a temperature controlled room. I dont have a thermometer but the sides of the case near the psu feel really hot. not burning hot but almost.

open ports are a security risk
you want to make sure the hackers only steal your anime and not your bank account

How are you going to reach your server without open ports?

>ryzen has ECC support
yeah good luck finding a decent motherboard that has confirmed complete support of it, it's a absolute shitshow
closest I've come is this, check the fucking price
newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007629 601331185

i really want to make an AMD server but it seems like if youre not shelling out the big bucks then youre in a world of hurt

Attached: 1544836548906.gif (240x180, 625K)

Data hoarding comes in all shapes and sizes
Get a cheap drive to store it now, and then build a nas when you have money.

OK thanks Fren

Attached: 1563088637492.jpg (960x724, 70K)

having your computer powered on is a security risk

I see what point you are trying to make and it's a retarded one.

is ssh encrypted? do i need any annoying certificates like i do with https?

€ 244,74 in Europe.
maybe leave the third world.

Yes, no

>mobo costs more than the fucking CPU
>"yeah lemme turn this into a politics discussion"
gas yourself

pick a board with ipmi complain about the price, do I smell jew?

get a fucking job bixnood

>ampache
what do you guys think about Roon?

yeah that ambient temperature is a bit toasty
technically its within spec though, most power supplies are rated to take up to 50c

My ghetto IPTV server is almost complete. This is a replacement for my old one which has problems with it's PCI-E slots and for whatever reason this DVB-S2 card disables the onboard LAN. All the components used except the DVB card and SSD were found in the trash so it's a true ghetto server made of 80% garbage. It'd booted up first time with no issues too which was surprising as I was expecting some problems.

Attached: IMG_1175.jpg (884x1024, 186K)

>archiving YouTube shit

Attached: 1555601291073.jpg (357x423, 34K)

Well it's shit that was taken down.

Attached: 1563726058843.jpg (222x235, 15K)

Good, it deserved to go.

I'd like to buy cheap SATA SSDs for my server to do some testing and stuff, so I won't store anything valuable. Any recommendation? Can chink SSDs be trusted?
Thanks

used intel 530/520 SSDs with low amount of writes.

Both are running Win server '19

Attached: for HSG.jpg (4032x1960, 1.62M)

I got the samsung QVOs
$200 for 2TB
probably not as cheap as you were hoping....

my work has some of those dell towers like you have on the far right
I really want one when we're done with them ~~
I really want an old del XPS gen 3 to do a build with

Attached: 00 A8054A.jpg (1429x1869, 373K)

They are very good machines in the sense that its been running non stop in a school or something for the past 10-11 years and when they threw one out i got it and upgraded it and used it as a workstation for the past 3 years

the ones we have at my work have been running strong for ~10-11 years as well
the hard drives in some of them are falling apart, but they can be replaced ;)

i love it when people turn junk into something truly useful

They run nicely with an SSD as a boot device and mechanichal hdds as high capacity storage

how would I go about configuring it? ideally I'd want a huge storage system that I can access remotely as well as locally.