Why aren't you using Rust, anons?

Why aren't you using Rust, anons?

See my other thread on why you should not use C++: >

Attached: Rust_programming_language_black_logo.png (1200x1200, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/google/cpp-netlib
forge.rust-lang.org/platform-support.html
rust-lang.org/learn
github.com/actix/actix-web/pull/968
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because I don't want to catch your unceasing faggotry.

>faggotry
Fuck you. Go back to and stay inside your containment zone, Jow Forums doesn't use this kind of language.

is there a programming language that trigger low IQ retards and boomers more than Rust?

Does Rust work on System Z yet?

Fucking THIS. I would up vote you if I could.
LEARN RUST TO TRIGGER THE BOOMERS!!!!!

>don't use the mess that is C++
>instead use the mess that is Rust
USE FUCKING C JESUS FUCKING SHIT.

>LEARN RUST TO TRIGGER THE BOOMERS!!!!!
>Jow Forums doesn't use this kind of language.
PlebbitAnon. I...

Attached: 1563683346311.jpg (888x768, 63K)

I hate that logo. Anytime this kind of thread gets posted with it I always think it's about Rlang, which is based and stats-pilled

no jobs

>71979911
You have to go back

rustards are the new Cniles.

>71980084
CHEESE YOU CUNT HOW DID YOU BREAK QUOTING

The whole language is too opinionated and stifling.
The borrow checker is a pain in the ass, generics are worse than templates, no constexpr, no overloading, etc. UFCS but only sometimes is retarded, doing anything with mutation is a pain in the ass.

You can only do things The Rust Way™ and however good that is I will always prefer a language that lets me get things done how I want.

>generics are worse than templates
Can you expand on this
>no overloading
What?!

You didn't make that thread, (I did).

Rust doesn't have ad-hoc overloading. You can implement multiple traits which have a method which has the same name but you can't overload free functions.

Rust Generics can only use operations specified by the trait bounds, which means you get early type checking but also means shit's super explicit and somewhat constrained. Unlike other languages which do this, Rust generics aren't first class (aka no Rank-N Polymorphism) so there doesn't seem to be an advantage in terms of utility.

>The borrow checker is a pain in the ass
no, it's not. You just gave up too early

not just operator overloading is allowed in Rust, but also method overloading is allowed using traits. You can simply have the same method name implemented for many types (excluding generics).

std is filled with such overloading

That's literally what I just said thanks for repeating it

okay

>learn Rust
>can get a bullshit-less server running within 10 minutes
>learn C
>have to waste 10 minutes reading man pages every line I write to make sure I handle errors correctly

Attached: pepesaurus.png (500x263, 156K)

>you can't overload free functions
This kind of stifling restriction on expression is why I would never bother with Rust.

>sodomy is a pain in the ass
>You just gave up too early
>He doesn't use a server framework for free
Retard
github.com/google/cpp-netlib

I don't think this is a bad thing in a language which actually uses that restriction to implement other features (e.g. Haskell)... but Rust doesn't. Rust just limits program expressiveness because Rust is opinionated.

I'm too dumbo to learn programming and don't have a reason to I guess

>C++
Umm that’s not C

>overload free functions
why the fuck would you want to, you will never know the type of a function because it can have many

>Rust just limits program expressiveness because Rust is opinionated
no it restricts expressiveness to the subset of programs which are provably memory safe

Attached: a.jpg (480x300, 42K)

reminder that memory leaks are memory safe c:

Actually Rust restricts programs to a subset of the subset of programs which are memory safe.

This is a fundamental trade off in programming language design. There are programs which are correct and programs which are incorrect. Proving which is which reduces to the halting problem, so a language designer must fundamentally pick between the language allowing some incorrect programs or rejecting some correct programs.

Python > rust, user. Why even learn rust when python is available. Dumbass!

Stop shilling rust plz

>Actually Rust restricts programs to a subset of the subset of programs which are memory safe.
This. And that's why it's useless.
>This is a fundamental trade off in programming language design
No other language restrict the number of valid programs that can be expressed. Rust is a fucking mess.

>instances are pointers but also instances but you never know heh
>__main__
>indent has semantics
Yikes.

go back to r*st discord

Attached: 1562647195662_2.png (3588x3596, 1.13M)

>No other language restrict the number of valid programs that can be expressed.
Of course they do, you’ve just never pushed them. Most languages don’t provide any means for direct memory management and pointers, which inherently limits what you can do.
C requires almost everything to have a name, which limits what you can do with anonymous structs and macros unless you use gcc extensions to extend the language.

forge.rust-lang.org/platform-support.html

A little bit of googling suggests that s390x-unknown-linux-gnu is the target to use. It has tier 2 support,

because i'm using lisp

>Why aren't you using Rust, anons?
I'd like to keep my dick.

Attached: 1563692242152.jpg (1000x1300, 395K)

>C requires almost everything to have a name, which limits what you can do with anonymous structs and macros unless you use gcc extensions to extend the language.
C++ doesn't have this problem and it'll be fixed in C soon enough.

I hate faggots

I'm not a discord tranny.

I use Rust. Last I checked, my dick is still here.

doesn't mean you're not intending to replace it with boipucci

t. University of Mumbai student

>why aren't you using Rust
I am. It's laughable how some of you NEETs are so obsessed with traps / brainwashed by identity politics that you refuse to even discuss a programming language because of a code of conduct which only applies to a single project that you'll never work on anyway -- so far, the only argument against Rust in this thread is
>muh trannies

>The borrow checker is a pain in the ass
It's annoying until you get comfortable with it, but once you learn why what you're doing is wrong, you'll start writing better code -- the patterns which it enforces avoid unnecessary copies, so the code you end up with is more performant and safer than your way. As for there being a Rust Way™, I'd have to disagree as well. There are a variety of zero-cost abstractions which let you achieve the same functionality differently as well as the option to write procedurally, functionally, OOP, or any combination of those, so there's not really a set way to do things like in Ruby
Rust's borrowing system also guarantees against memory leaks xDDD
In the relatively rare situations where unsafe behavior is needed for some reason, enclosing just the unsafe code in an unsafe { } block is still better than having the entire codebase potentially be unsafe; to say that Rust is useless is just stupid. Explicitly making note of where there could potentially be bad memory behavior makes security testing and debugging much easier, among other things, not to mention that all the benefits of Rust still apply to the rest of the codebase
>inb4 dilate, le sjw bogeyman, etc

How do I learn it? Is it a good noob language if I've literally never koded before?

... But I am!
It's not good if you haven't programmed before, now that doesn't mean you don't have it in you but it'd be good knowing something like C first since it's primitive and easy to pick up anyway. It also has a lot of concepts from functional programming.
The official resources are pretty good rust-lang.org/learn

Attached: 20190621044440kirscheid3268825.png (696x678, 363K)

Packers don't count

If you've never written code before then you should probably start with a simpler language like C (or Python if you wanna focus on the very basics while still being productive), then move on to something like Rust.
Most Rust tutorials I've seen tend to assume you already know how to program in some other language, while Python was practically purpose-built to teach basic programming concepts without prior knowledge.

Seconding this.

Rust will teach you good habits and is already seeing widespread adoption, so I'd say that while Python would be a bit easier, starting with Rust would serve you better. The documentation "book" is a really good resource, so if you take
your time and work through that you'll be off to a great start
for a new programmer I'd think C would be more confusing in a lot of ways actually. learning good programming fundamentals is easier without worrying about direct memory management (and the compiler would teach him to write better code should he go on to use C in the future)
based

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

C is the white man's language.

trannyfags btfo epically haha

nigger

Attached: 1562978538816.jpg (1024x1434, 217K)

omg thank you user I will start using C right awaydjgoemfo295+_+$82;&mfkrmnlsp
woops looks like I forgot my null terminator again. 1488 though right user? Haha xD

>forgetting your null terminator
Step your game up, pajeet. Your mental incompetence is why programming will always be a white man's field.

Yes sir sorry sir. I will do so once I am done writing our mathematical functions for all the different integer types.

No
Learn Go first

Sure it would confuse them! That's why I recommend learning C, you can't use it without learning low level fundementals. It doesn't hold your hand.

Attached: 1489134187102.png (1248x1920, 1.57M)

I'm so horny and lonely

starting with Rust would teach him the fundamentals as well, with the added bonus that he'd learn safer, better performing patterns right off the bat. there is virtually no reason to use C over Rust for any new project except for certain embedded cases (and even then, embedded systems are increasingly shipping with Rust toolchains)

Surely you'd want a language that holds the user's hand at least while they're grasping the fundamentals, right? There's no point throwing a kid into the deep end of the pool and expecting him to come out of it knowing how to swim.
I'd say Rust actually makes sense as a first language in this case, since not only would it correct you for simple mistakes, it can also catch more complicated mistakes that result from logic errors and lets the user learn how to work around them. Once something like that becomes second nature, they could pretty much use any language they want.

I'm also learning it, so I decided to make a small 2d game (see the past /dpt/). It's a lot of fun, and you'll learn quite a bit, so I recommend it.

>Ugly, terrible syntax, just like c++
>Have to spend most development time just to use bc, why not just do it in c++.
>C++ is still faster, and has a lot more libraries available.

not a single correct argument
try harder, retard

Litearly the most popular programming language in India. Nice try Cnile.

Me too, user, me too.

Attached: 1562214780040.png (757x720, 498K)

I just told you why rust is useless. It will be a dead language soon, as happened to D, because there's not a really good reason to use Rust.

firefox written in rust. and firefox is shit,

>there's not a really good reason to use Rust
iff you're a retard

Not the user you replied to but this post here is completely false, in every aspect.
>syntax this and that
it's syntactically consistent unlike C++, "ugly" is subjective
>have to spend most of the time to use bc
no you don't. you spend maybe a few seconds when you're thinking of how to model some part of your program memory safe and it's usually obvious
>why not just do it in c++
why not just do it in c lol? because both languages are criminally mediocre in terms of modern programming concepts
>c++ is still faster
no it isn't. enjoy your default copy semantics, by the way

Applications using C++ now are mainly applications that have lifespans longer than 20 years. There's nothing inherently wrong with C++, and no reason to change for large projects.
Not many companies will completely rewrite existing code if it doesn't accompany a larger change that would necessitate a significant rewrite in itself.

And because of old fucks that can't learn and lack of human capital it will take a few more years of growth in rust for large projects to consider using it. Even in the last two years there have been significant language changes and corporations don't want another Python 3 issue which is enough to shelve the question of rust entirely.

Also, don't underestimate stupidity. I have personal first hand experience with a large company considering to switch to rust, and everything about that company makes my blood boil so I'll just stop right here.

>you're a retard
dilate.

wrong, nothing in Rust prevents you from making a basic ass reference cycle, you don't even know the language you're shilling for retard

What do you program in Rust

Attached: 1559220271086.png (719x459, 474K)

Things I've already written in Python

learn a lisp

And what would that be

What Jow Forums has to do with it? Tranny, are you okay?

rust will succeed because it doesn't allow a retard to write awful code and because it doesn't allow a genius to make beautiful code.

I like Rust a lot, but shit like this in critical or popular libraries is a problem: github.com/actix/actix-web/pull/968

Or even (memory leaks are explicitly safe in Rust, the type system supports affine types, not linear aka drop will not run twice, but may never run).

Obviously there are bad programmers and programmers who misunderstand the language in C++ too, but the Rust team should do everything they can to make it very clear exactly what the language guarantees and how. It should be obvious, but just because "the rust type system and careful auditing of the occasional unsafe block can free me from a common class of bugs" doesn't mean "I can install 100 random packages from cargo and assume there are no bugs".

Rust doesn't guarantee your code is correct. Rust does allow you to more easily write correct code, by providing a powerful and expressive type system.

>Rust's borrowing system also guarantees against memory leaks
It doesn't.
Make Rc hold references to each other and remove Rcs from stack. And you got a memory leak.
But it doesn't matter as it still prevent undefined behaviour and you would have to use garbage collector otherwise.

No, don't do it. You should learn C first as Rust is quite sophisticated and complex language.

>that PR
Lol what a fag. Why does he even maintain such a project if he doesn't get rust safety conventions.

>powerful and expressive type system.
i thought this retarded catchphrase was exclusive to haskell

Renderer, raytracers, game servers, web services, etc.

what do any of those things hae to do with each other

Require high performance, high stability, and deals with data instead of user interface, I guess.

D I L A T E
I
L
A
T
E

That must be why it's so insecure.

When was the first time you had a justified reason to use unsafe, Jow Forums?
Mine was when I had to make a set of keys for a hashmap so that when a user tries to delete one of those keys I could prevent it, but copying all the strings would just waste memory since I could prove that during runtime the keys are never deleted before they're removed from the set, and making the set store references wouldn't work since I can't prove it statically, so I used raw pointers to get around this and save on unnecessary copying.

>wrong, nothing in Rust prevents you from making a basic ass reference cycle
The entire borrowing system prevents that. There's no way to make a cycle out of borrowed references.
You can use reference-counted pointers (Rc) to create a reference cycle if you're really trying, but the documentation explicitly warns about that.

>When was the first time you had a justified reason to use unsafe, Jow Forums?
I'm currently doing a bunch of ffi, trying to use a library which uses GObject. This project has taken me from "I don't know if I'll ever need unsafe" to "75% of this is unsafe and I am drowning in segfaults, send help".

topkek

Can’t handle it?
Leave, nigger.

Attached: c-rust-rewrite.png (600x382, 163K)

Manually optimizing 128bit fixed point multiplication using inline asm.
Also mapping GPU memory. These two are the only time I had to use unsafe.

>on why you should not use C++

honestly? honest to god? I'd use Rust far more if it were advertised as its own thing with its own strengths and weaknesses as a language than "better than C++, and C++ is also horrible"