Was supposed to solve the issue of needing multiple different cables for each job

>was supposed to solve the issue of needing multiple different cables for each job
>now we still have multiple cables but they're all indistinguishable from one another (despite serving different purposes) or they require an additional adapter

How do we salvage USB-C?

Attached: usb-c.jpg (768x432, 59K)

it's here to stay. cry harder, faggot.

What are you even talking about? Modern hardware doesn't need any other cables/ports beyond ethernet, which is irrelevant for most user cases.

now that we're on that topic, does anyone know how to verify what version each USB c cable is?

wtf is it even used for? Why do shitty gaming laptops include USB type C connectors when there's no peripheral of value that's worth connecting to it?

Just get the USB people to fine companies which use proprietary standards like Nintendo, who don't even adhere to PD standards, meaning if you use a PD AC adaptor instead of theirs, you will brick the Switch.

Weird propreitary shit was what USB was created to replace. It wasn't supposed to be used to make new weird propreitary shit, which is somehow mechanically compatible, but will fry circuits if used.

just wait™ for USB 4

I'm fine with the concept of USB-C but the execution is poor since there are still a number of different types of USB-C cables and there isn't an easy way to tell exactly what features a particular cable supports. The average user is going to plug in a USB-C cable into their machine and wonder why it's not working or why their device has been bricked despite the fact that the cable fits in the port.

>when there's no peripheral of value that's worth connecting to it
because most believe there will be in the next few years

But that's just as retarded as paying $25 to eat a bag of shit

USB-C fragmentation is shit.
However, I can't deny that it's nice to just bring one adapter and cable instead of shit ton of them for my phone, iPad Pro and spying machine from china Xiaomi Notebook Pro 15".
Hell man, it's so easy to pack this shit to the briefcase now when I have to go for a business meeting.

It was doomed to be crappy Mac shit since its inception

the times i recall reading about damage done was by people not using compliant usb-c cables.

no there is more reason to it than that

My work laptop contains a "DisplayPort over USB-C" port which could be useful in a few years time, but since there's no point buying new cables for everyone we just use an adapter instead.

type c is ftm lightning

>falling from the USB 3.2 Gen 1x1 meme
>not delaying your purchase until they rename it USB 3.3 Gen 1x1 revision alpha.

Age old story.

Man goes to consortium. Says "I have a wonderful idea to stop all this clutter and waste"
He says "I've designed a single new connector that's faster, more durable, and more efficient."
"It will replace all the old connectors and simplify the market!"
One of the consortium chairs spoke up, "That's great! Just what we needed. It's time to move on from all those legacy standards that clutter up designs and confuse the people."

Nine months later USB-C hit the market, and it was sold along with USB mini and micro type a and b.
Three years later another engineer approched the consortium with a more durable, faster, and more efficient connector meant to consolidate and simplify the market...

yes but the convenience of that only exists because of stupid marketing bullshit and anti-consumer 'technological advancement' because there is nothing preventing USB 2.0 era technology from doing those things. there is no reason that a single usb-b micro connector couldn't do that, its just that all of our devices are designed by malfeasant sycophants instead of people actually trying to deliver the best product possible for a given price point

yeah i also saw that xkcd comic, do you have something to add thats original or are you just gonna sparknotes this conversation

well, can't deny that

Just don't buy half measure cables poorfag.

It was a spin on the paggliachi joke and the 30 year old serial port joke but yeah dude did you know your shit stinks too?

>How do we salvage USB-C?
Color-code the connectors and cables.
Like how they made USB 3.0 connectors blue to distinguish them from USB 2.0.

Probably in a range, say "cool" colors for slower/more basic versions and "warm" colors for higher speeds and more features.
Then as long as your cable is "warmer" than your ports you'll get maximum performance and all available features.

That would be ugly though.

So?

Electronic devices should be tools, not fashion accessories.
People like you is why phones don't just come with both USB-B and -C "it will look weird, people will think it's nerdy"

Why the fuck would a phone come with USB-B let alone alongside a superior port that does the same thing?

wait until you start running into devices that don't work on the same cable and needing to memorize which cable works where. it doesn't take that long.

Because it's the previous EU charger standard.
So any place you visit will have a charger for you to borrow.

Just bring the newest/best cable and everything will work.

Do you mean micro USB? USB-B is the shit printers use. Still though lmao at the idea of increasing cost just to support the worse standard longer.

user meant Micro USB B. Was just too lazy to add the Micro in front. Micro and Mini USB comes in both A and B variants, just like regular USB.

Yes, I meant micro-B, obviously.
Why would you think I meant full size?

Because USB-B is the name of the full size one.

Yet again...

Attached: 15 competing Standards.png (500x283, 24K)

That's what USB 4.0 is for. Ditch USB-C 3.0/3.1/3.2, DisplayPort over USB-C, and Thunderbolt, it's all part of the standard.

replace usbc with pic related

Attached: reversible micro usb.jpg (980x636, 116K)

just stick to usb A. usbC is a miscarriage

it's honestly awful. OEMs don't even go by spec (see shitberry pi, shitendo, etc) and it has no locking teeth so it gets loose within a year. the solution to keep things tight? keep getting cables with slightly thicker connectors each time until your female ends up being as loose as the town bicycle. lightning at least has reasonable detents on the male and a catch in the female but usb-c has nothing.

Attached: .png (1258x618, 327K)

I think many micro and mini USB devices will switch in the coming years. Sadly lightning is a better connector, for the reason mentions, as well as the more fragile and harder to clean "female" connector with a pillar in the center. But I'll take USB C over mini and micro any day.

>usb-c has nothing
5 seconds in google

Attached: 1538364696619.png (600x600, 86K)

Cuck sjw comic that always features women though we all know women can't into tech

>specs show theoretical read/write speeds
>real world speeds always half that due to ridiculous overhead
USB has always been retarded.

we dont

let it die

I really wish Lightning wasn't proprietary. Could you imagine if everything ran on Lightning instead of type C?

>Electronic devices should be tools, not fashion accessories.
Apple

>oneplus 6t has usb-c
>connects to my computer better than my galaxy s5
USB-C is objectively the best USB standard right now. it needs to start being put on cameras. the Sony a7 III has it

KILL IT WITH FIRE I DON'T WANT TO GO BACK TO THESE DAYS

>unironically wanting this
have you learned nothing from screwing VGA/DVI cables

>but usb-c has nothing.
>literally visible in your image
Dumb shit.

>it gets loose within a year
I have multiple devices with USB-C and none of them got loose, stop demanding hardware manufacturer to babysit you.

B-b-but my libtertarian friends said legacy ports would be priced out of the market!

You can't gain market share without better serving the customer's needs grrr

This is why you go for Thunderbolt 3 certified stuff, not simple USB-C

>>was supposed to solve the issue of needing multiple different cables for each job
>>now we still have multiple cables but they're all indistinguishable from one another (despite serving different purposes) or they require an additional adapter
Don't forget to add 5A/20V through small flimsy connector.

Attached: 80e737a6f369f2790392e5f3b26a9995ad96bae4a796fa54083c614136e9838f.jpg (1280x720, 105K)

USB has always been a clusterfuck, not sure why its such a big topic now. Pic fucking related, that's not even all of them. Designed by some inbred shitsniffer.

Attached: usb-tutorial-connectors.gif (650x627, 128K)

What can you even do with TB? I've never needed it but the speeds are intriguing. Is it just for external storage?

Nothing bad, that's for sure
DVI/VGA > HDMI
DP also a shit, that fucking lock has such shit "button" that holy fuck, might as well be like HDMI and just fall out instead of ripping shit out

Because you couldn't connect Type B to Type A or a micro to a full sized port, when now you can connect your Type-C and get blown the fuck out when it tries to push 90W through it

I see, very interesting

Attached: great pic.png (740x664, 309K)

Why would you complain about having options?

Either way its always been a shitshow and FAR from universal, that was my point.

VGA was honestly the best thing ever.
The screws were unnecessary 99% of the time, but when they were needed, they where guaranteed to work.
Phone chargers get loose after a while, and with the current design, it is the $1000 phone that is the problem, not the $5 cable. A screw solution is guaranteed to work, regardless of how wobbly the rest of the shit might get.

>but wouldn't a no screw solution be better?
Obviously, but every single person who works in this field is an incompetent piece of shit, screws are an actual improvement over the shit they suggest.
When was the last time a technology company made a product that you would give a passing grade? 10 years ago? More?

utter retard

just wait for all the poorfags to start using it and manufacturing all switches over to USB C periphials. then you won't need the old style ports that often and can use adapter for legacy device.

>That would be ugly though
dude. You can't even see the colour when it's plugged in.

Attached: download.jpg (225x225, 5K)

>People like you is why phones don't just come with both USB-B and -C "it will look weird, people will think it's nerdy"
no. It's because they're not larger than the phones height. just the usb b port is larger than most phones nowadays. It's unpractical.

>wtf why are there so many types of screws and bolts?!?
>there should only be ONE type of screw!

>can't even see the colour
what's the point of color coding then?

You can check the color before you plug it in retard.

Well, one fucking wonderful use case could be standarising the carging ports on laptops, which are one of the most common problem normies have and a fucking headache for whoever has to help them.

They also could provide easy and comprehensive video output.

The current problem is that having a C port doesn't mean fuck all. It might charge the computer, it might not. It might have video output, it might not. And maybe it is simply a normal 3.0 but with a different plug. Hopefully 4.0 fixes that.

>Hopefully 4.0 fixes that.
If they don't get their shit together them I'm fucking done with USB. It shouldn't take so many fucking iterations to come up with something cohesive and functioning.

>The current problem is that having a C port doesn't mean fuck all. It might charge the computer, it might not. It might have video output, it might not. And maybe it is simply a normal 3.0 but with a different plug.
This.
With “traditional” plugs it’s quite easy: if it fits, it’ll work. With usb c, well not so much. And as a Bonus, it Night even fry your shit.

You can use an eGPU, essentially having a low power laptop for travel and long battery life, and if you need it you can connect a GPU and have the needed resources. You can also use it for connecting displays and projectors.

And this is why I look for Thunderbolt 3 compatibility, because if it says so I can be sure it is actually on spec, not just a plug. I just threw out a couple USB-A to C converters because while they had the right plug, they only communicated at 2.0 speeds. Needless to say I got them from china.

No one complained about it with USB A though.

I mean sure, usb a is crap, but from my experience, if the plug physically fits, it’ll work. What’s the problems you’re having?

Attached: 1563788275469.gif (650x627, 126K)

What was the point of mini and micro usb again?
Why did both of them need to exist?

Why did 3.0 micro ever exist. They should have laughed the designer right out of the consortium. plus the couple gens it was actually used on phones was horrible.

Mini existed for a few years before micro when they realized that mini was not small enough for many small devices.
Mini was largely abandoned pretty fast and is only found really on some micro controllers and digital cameras anymore.

And I my PS3 controller. This is a pretty big deal to me. I can't find those cables anymore.

Ohh sure, let's have 1 type of standardized cable for each computer related job, that's real genius right there user, maybe you can start a business running on that idea and you will be the next IT mega-billionaire.

>Why did both of them need to exist?
To put the Universal in USB of course

Lightning is objectively the better connector.
It's thinner, has a better holding mechanism and less complex than USB-C.
Apple really should've made an attempt to make it an actual standard

>one fucking wonderful use case could be standarising the carging ports on laptops
Yeah that'd be great. Only they were guaranteed to and did indeed fuck that up.

>They also could provide easy and comprehensive video output.
Yeah instead now we need even more adapters to be sure we can output video.

Why don't they just make the phone the male and the adapter the female? No more bricking phones from worn out connectors

>lightning
>better
Yes, exposed pins are truly the way to go. And put all the moving parts on the female connector while you're at it, so when it eventually breaks, you have to replace the whole computer instead of swapping the cable. Think different™

My phone and switch shit are. Once M$ gets off it's ass I'll finally be mini USB free

Don't forget that it's not symmetrical so you need a chip in the cable to switch the pins.

>How do we salvage USB-C?
not possible

>"Look mom I posted it again!!!!"

Attached: sinking feeling.jpg (1024x512, 65K)

Meanwhile Apple JUST WERKS™

Attached: MD861.jpg (1144x1144, 32K)

every micro version of USB has sucked dick so hard it's unreal

Why are people complaining about type C? My phone is over 2 years old and I still use the original type C cable. It's 100% fine.

Lightning is literally just USB2/3 with a different connector.
And the holding mechanism in USB-C is perfectly fine.

Because you can have USB2.0 Type C cables, USB3.0+ Type C cables, USB-PD Type C cables, Thunderbolt capable Type C cables and so on.
It's kind a clusterfuck. What I'm not entirely sure of is how much of that is just due to sticking a Type A connector on one end.

my phone is lose with its connector now, idk why

Lignting is far faster than USB, and can do things like 5k displays, which USB 3.1 cannot do.

>lightning with 5K displays
You mean thunderbolt, aka USB C physical form?
Even then, USB doesnt do the display driving, the display port alternate mode does

> heh, I see you like your 2-fold rotationally symmetric connector, well too bad kiddo.