/wdg/ - Web Development General

Previous thread: >Beginner Roadmap and Overview
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap (don't be overwhelmed, ignore the later parts and go step-by-step)
youtube.com/watch?v=UnTQVlqmDQ0

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction to HTML/CSS/JS and Node.js or Django
freecodecamp.org - curriculum including HTML/CSS/JS, React, Node.js, Express, and MongoDB
javascript.info - curriculum providing a strong basis in JavaScript

>Further learning resources and documentation
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
hackr.io - crowdsourced collection of tutorials (ignore sponsored stuff, look at upvotes)
learnxinyminutes.com - quick reference sheets for the syntax of many different languages
pastebin.com/gfBPg24A - Collection of PHP links.

>Need help with some HTML, CSS or JS?
jsfiddle.net - create an example here and post the link
codesandbox.io - or here if you're using React/Angular/Vue

Attached: 1494853390612.png (2015x2204, 913K)

Other urls found in this thread:

w3schools.com/tags/tag_iframe.asp
pastebin.com/R0n6i0F2
getbootstrap.com/docs/4.3/examples/dashboard/
jsfiddle.net/39dcn0Lk/
strawpoll.me/18351835/
blog.cloudflare.com/exposing-go-on-the-internet/
slack.engineering/rebuilding-slack-on-the-desktop-308d6fe94ae4
jsfiddle.net/3dgknzue/
fonts.google.com/specimen/Ubuntu
datatables.net
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Excellent OP pic, except that book is technically backwards but whatever.

The iframe html5 tag DOESN'T accept % only px for height, if you use height 100% it defaults to 150px.

w3schools.com/tags/tag_iframe.asp

Here is what I tried (the content I want to iframe is being served on the same domain):

pastebin.com/R0n6i0F2

What are some decent books to learn CS concepts? Pic related any good?

Attached: 51Tg8ICgkWL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (375x499, 25K)

How does CSS frameworks like Bootstrap loads .scss files despite A) the page is running on FILES:// protocol, B) nothing in either .css or .js files tells the browser to load these .scss files?
Or is it happen on browser level? Heck, how does .scss files are generated anyway?

If i have a value thats like an alternative version of of a key column is it fine just using a delimiter and having it in the same cell? or should i really put it in a different cell? the values gonna be shown everywhere anyway. also

scss gets compiled down to css during development, you're supposed to have css on production

=/= webdev

>view-source:getbootstrap.com/docs/4.3/examples/dashboard/
>pic related
I still can't get my head around css processor in general

Attached: scss.png (1600x876, 115K)

jsfiddle.net/39dcn0Lk/
Works fine to me.

They're using sourcemaps

You're asked about them in google interviews so it is web dev related

Shilling this poll one more time, pls respond so we can learn more about the type of people who post on /wdg/

strawpoll.me/18351835/
>strawpoll.me/18351835/
strawpoll.me/18351835/
>strawpoll.me/18351835/

Attached: 64731357.jpg (1080x1080, 135K)

Ah, I see...

i guess to some degree.

can you actually stop, your a fucking retard

Take an actual course in Algorithms. There is good material available online for free, check out the Stanford MOOC on Algorithms, or 6.006 from MIT OCW.

in taiwan they read this way

On a scale of 0 to retarded, how dumb is it to write an integrated standalone web server/"CMS" in Go? I'm tired of working with shitty servers and shitty back-end frameworks written in shitty languages. I just want something simple that will do what I want it to do and nothing that I don't want it to do.

Attached: go.jpg (779x888, 47K)

relax, i just want a few more responses, no need to get your panties all bunched up

Is webdev dying? What's the point of learning all this stuff when so much of it has been automated and dumbed down to the point where any shmuck can make their own website with a few clicks and drags?

Attached: 1486920738799.png (420x420, 12K)

youre right, basic websites can be done super fast non technicals. is that all webdev is? please dont post pepe for no reason, pointless insecurity

WYSIWYG and site generators have existed since forever, and people have been saying since forever than web designers / web developers would no longer be needed because of that, and yet here we are.
Overly simple tools can only generate overly simple / generic websites. Sophisticated tools are not easy to learn. Despite how easy it is to make a website with React + Gatsby or whatever, most people still can't do it, companies struggle to hire even developers that can do it. Web dev is in high demand and requires a certain skillset, it's not going anywhere.

how do build a scraper thaat only grabs certain data values?

regex?

Webdevs wouldn't be getting paid so much if webdev were a solved problem.
The click-to-build-a-site things are very limited. They've taken over a certain corner of the market, so a smart webdev doesn't try to compete directly with them.

how do i make the query to the site though? i know regex, but no idea how to scrape it

that's probably one of the popular uses of go

nodejs/typescript would be a different popular choice for that

Not dumb at all. Lots of advantages to it being in Go.

Attached: IMG_20190715_222924.jpg (2560x1920, 617K)

>Boomer company tried to build a single-page application using vanilla JS and 0 guidelines, ended with a buggy mess
>Wants to build a separate module using a framework before deciding if it's worth migrating their current code base
What do? I've been building some components with React and Vue and I'm fine with both.
I like how declarative and intuitive Vue is, feels more natural than querying the DOM, almost as if this is how the web should work from the very begging.
On the other side React seems to give me more safety, as many errors are captured in the own editor, which is possible because JSX is just JavaScript pretending to be HTML, plus TypeScript safety (which is also available for Vue, but requires experimental type decorators that seems to defeat Vue's simplicity).

Attached: 1548624569987238.png (688x512, 16K)

React is also declarative and you don't need to query the DOM

On my portfolio site how should I present my personal projects? Should it just be a picture preview and explanation of what it is with a link to my github?

I was resigned on using nodejs and then I started learning about Go. Are there any pitfalls in setting up an extremely lightweight standalone server instead of sticking it on top of nginx/httpd?

>Hear this since frontpage or dreamweaver or flash or java applets or wordpress or social media or square space or wix.

>dreamweaver
ahahaha fucking flashbacks man... I had to use this shit in highschool for a bit. It was so convoluted from memory and ran like absolute shit

>click *installs wordpress*
>click *installs page builder plugin*
>click click click *puts some text on a page*
>needs a form that will serve as lead generation + marketing + contact form + gun certificate issuing body + CSV import tool for list of nobel laureates

>click click click
>click
>click click
>...
>...
>hey uhhh... how much money to build this?

or my personal favorite

>heh fuck webmasters we can cPanel our way out of this, plus Amazon is working on their PlasmaTokenService6 which will automate half of it
>two hours later
>We are a [...] business and are looking for a young talented motivated AWS expert with cPanel experience etc etc etc

If I make a remote folder for all my webdev projects (Front-end/React) that is being shared between my 2 distros (Windows and Linux) will there likely be any problems if I work on projects, occasionally swapping between distros when I am working on them?

in other words it's all bullshit,

you're automating shit so monkeys could use it yet monkeys are still incapable of using it and are paying others to do it for them

as a bonus bullshit abstractions piled on top of an existing abstraction shit heap aren't making things any better

we are now passing function calls to HTML for fucks sake

>cpanel
fuck that shit

no? do exfat or ntfs though, dont bother with gnu linux native formats

the thing is some people dont actually try to do something. like they have near 0 problem solving skills. i wonder if its skipping a certain developmental period

>no? do exfat or ntfs though, dont bother with gnu linux native formats

Sorry I am talking about hosting the files on a cloud hosting, like Mega. Does that change anything.

oh. i mean megas a botnet. kimdotcom even said so. wait for mega3

I have super annoying problem with positioning.
basically i have a 50x50px square div which i want to position at the left bottom corner of the screen and have it glued there even if the use scrolls.
So i am using position fixed and with left: 0, bottom 0
But it just doesn't work properly on mobile phones most of the time.
The square is either below the visible screen where you have to scroll to see it, or things like the browser toolbar hidding or appearing while scrolling fucks with it's position as well

Is there some good way to solve this? It can even be javascript.

Yeah, I did something like that. Your code is a bit cleaner, thanks.
My main doubt was that even if that works, I was thinking that triggering navigation with an anchor tag default behavior on click would be more correct.

I was thinking of something like that, but never heard of Intersection Observers, thanks.

Important question guys, any help is deeply apreciated.
I might be able to score a front end job, but I need to get good with SASS (already familiar to an extent) and Blade template engine (Laravel).

Any resources you would recommend?

Attached: 6573801.050000001_cabezabuque.jpg (345x345, 18K)

The documentation.

I miss the times where it was enough to just be good with html css and javascript and you didn't have to learn millions of pointless bloaty retarded frameworks. And of course each company also uses completely different ones, where they just seem to arbitrarily pick them with a dice roll.

reposting from last thread, why is mysql ignoring the PRIMARY KEY index on xf_thread (thread_id)?

Attached: 1541663979239.png (1280x334, 25K)

if I do
FORCE INDEX(PRIMARY)

Attached: 1555636464494.png (1052x127, 12K)

>tfw going back to vanilla CSS after using Sass

Attached: kill-me-now-god_o_6724627.jpg (540x702, 47K)

Cloudflare has a blog post on this
blog.cloudflare.com/exposing-go-on-the-internet/
Dates back to 2016, so may not exactly include anything new but still a headstart

It could be or you could create a list with a brief explanation followed by a link to each repo. GitHub has an API, I believe you'd be able to fetch a list of a user's repositories

viewport mayb? try adding this in the section of your html...

>your
Look who's talking.

Witnessed.
The man speaks the truth.

Attached: 1525099009746.jpg (1024x1024, 297K)

Back then the internet wasn't as big and ubiquitous as it is now, since everybody has a smartphone now we have to make things more complex than they used to be

I feel you on the nostalgia but I disagree that the frameworks are pointless - it would be a gigantic pain in the ass to write something from scratch which millions of people use where you have to implement the same security, design considerations etc that are expected of today's web

>trying to read oop php and classes
this was a mistake

I'm learning React.

Based or cringe?

Attached: FB_IMG_1563268445885.jpg (1638x2048, 225K)

I kinda like it. If you're decent with ES6 it's easy to get into and saves a lot of time if your UI is tied to JS.
I do need to go through context and Redux again though.

brainlet here whats it called when you make a one page website and the navbar scrolls to different sections? i thought it was called a parallax site but i think im wrong?

typically done with parallax scrolling, yeah

Why am I getting this after running 'laravel new projectname' from Homestead?

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-07-22 12-45-41.png (1886x280, 41K)

My footer has 2 "modes",
should I make each a component and export the correct one from a container "base", or just make a big container?

Any thoughts on container vs. component; which ones should I pile up, so to say.

pretty much a must in the industry
t. brainlet who doesn't know react

Attached: 1563454036792.jpg (400x479, 16K)

Koa is so much nicer than Express. Why people still use Express is beyond me

test

why can you explain?

>Why people still use [hugely popular thing that's riding on its wave of existing resources] is beyond me
Could ask the same thing about PHP
if they do unrelated things, then they deserve their own components

so i am trying to scrape this website. i can login successfully by making a post request it returns dashboard's html but in next step i am trying to make get request to a new page in dashboard and scripts just hangs there server doesn't respond no error.

there is no cookies in this site it is using serverlet or something user is assigned a jsessionid on every login. please help i tries to set refferrer and tried stay-alive but nothing helps.

i tried axios, cross-fetch and even wrote similar script in python with python-requests but same result

>none of the major icon packs has the man-entering-fire-exit style logout icon.
that's my favorite one....

is it that hard to learn React?

vectorize it yourself, by hand, auto trace sucks

just take the serverless pill

inertia

You could try using something like Selenium and a headless web browser to try scrape more JS based websites like what you're describing.

stupid question :

On a website, I've seen a lot of id containing "SL" : what does it refer to ?
SL_arrow_up
SL_balloon_obj
SL_planshet
etc.

>tfw when trying to get fucking homestead to work for 4 hours

Isn't this shit supposed to save time?

it's all cancer, but isn't docker always much easier, these days?

I'm gonna try Docker, I need to install Laravel for a job and they use Homestead so I thought, might as well go with it.
Tried to install it per project, globally and every fucking time I get som error while installing laravel or creating a new projects and pretty much all the solutions I've found are 'just update composer'.

Fucking hell, I'm going to try Docker.

> headless web browser
actually this is for a react native project.
> JS based websites
it isn't, can use it fine with java script disabled on my browser.

It's originating from a browser extension for inline translation of marked text called ImTranslator. Because of WYISWYG editors, it often slips up and gets uploaded alongside the HTML markup the user has actually authored before it can remove its code from the website.

Interesting, thanks. I actually have this extension

is that the cripple from Game of Thrones?

State management sucks ass in React, even if you use Redux or Mobx. Besides that it's a pretty cool framework once you get used it.

Protip: use Styled Components library.

Does anyone have a good guide that uses basic JS to make tables sortable?
I'm aware that there are countless solutions if you search for it, but I lack the knowledge to tell which ones are unnecessarily complex and/or bad, just looking for some basic shit.

I like Redux. One one gets used to it it's pretty neat. Good design is half the job.

slack.engineering/rebuilding-slack-on-the-desktop-308d6fe94ae4
Thoughts?

Makes sense.
React is going to be a hell of a lot easier to develop and maintain than jQuery DOM manipulation at that scale.

I can only imagine the relief and excitement the frontend guys must be feeling.

Put the rows of the body in an array, sort the array, append it back to the body.
There's other things you should keep track to make a nice sortable table.
jsfiddle.net/3dgknzue/

Is the font-family: Ubuntu available on Firefox on all platforms or, like I'm guessing, just Ubuntu?
What's a good font that has font-weight available on all platforms?

fonts.google.com/specimen/Ubuntu

oh shit I am retarded, you meant by default?
yeah, think you are out of luck.
sry for my dumb reply

Thanks man.

the day webdev dies, regular programming will die too

What's the proper way to go about implementing this script if you had multiple tables (spread across some separate pages or just one) and weren't using an ID? Would selecting by class be adequate?

I'm doing my first project as a webdev (and coding in general) student using react.

I want to use YouTube API to retrieve all videos from a predetermined list of channels, is that possible? I'm reading thru youtube api documentation and the info dump is kinda massive

I'd use datatables.net for JavaScript enhanced tables, it's been around for decades and is fast. I used it back on IE6 and even then performance was pretty good.

Why should I use FTP when I could just use the cPanel file manager? Also, what does cPanel file manager use to transfer files? Is it an encrypted transfer?

Cute OP

Thanks, I'll have a look at that.

Is there no way to have Javascript read a local file? Am I actually forced to run a shitty web server to feed dynamic data?