/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 3200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600 - Good gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>R7 3700X - Overkill gaming CPU
>R7 1700X - Budget video editing
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks

RAM:
>Do not use a single DIMM. 2 sticks ONLY for a typical dual channel CPU
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 3200CL16 or Micron E-die ("AES" in code) recommended
>AMD B & X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP
>B-die is EOP, stock is limited

GPUs based on current pricing:
1080p
>RX 570/580 8GB - Can be found on sale/used for cheap. Look for 570s which are >1240MHz boost
>GTX 1660 - higher fps / more demanding games
>RX 5700 - even higher FPS
1440p
>RX 5700 - basic
>RX 5700XT - standard
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2070S OC - budget option. Turing performance scales better into 4K than Navi does.
>2080Ti - best for 4K but expensive

>Navi AIB models come mid-August. 5700 blower is alright, due to low power.

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Yes, adaptive sync (free/g/sync) is important
>SSD Guide (250GB+ SATA bare minimums): i.imgur.com/79MYtoE.png
>NVMe isn't better than SATA SSD for gaming
>"Bottleneck checker" sites don't work
>Don't use Speccy
>AM4 VRMs + Monitors under "more"

more: rentry.co/pcbg-more
prev

Attached: 2019_02-06_TNvsIPS.png (1200x1000, 135K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/product/jpH48d/gskill-memory-f43200c14d16gvk
pcpartpicker.com/product/RRc48d/crucial-ballistix-sport-lt-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-3200-memory-bls2k8g4d32aesck
amazon.com/Ballistix-Elite-PC4-24000-288-Pin-Memory/dp/B01H3P99FG
pcpartpicker.com/list/msspq4
newegg.com/p/N82E16822236350?Item=9SIA5AD6DJ8028
newegg.com/p/N82E16822235011?
youtube.com/watch?v=z3aEv3EzMyQ
extremetech.com/computing/295027-amd-will-provide-a-free-temporary-uefi-upgrade-kit-for-ryzen-3000-motherboard-updates
msi.com/Motherboard/B450-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

My 3200 RAM is showing up as 2333 in the bios. Would it be safe to just crank it up to 3200 or should I do it incrementally?

It's physically impossible to damage your components by increasing the frequency, only by increasing the voltage can you do damage.

Unless you have some kind of feature enabled that automatically increases voltage, but don't enable anything like that

Also, you need to enable your XMP profile. All RAM is like that. No RAM just automatically works at its rated speed for some dumb reason, you have to manually switch XMP on

Have you set your XMP profiles?

>muh view angle
can't you niggers just move the screen?

>early autumn build
>3700x + DDR4 3600
Asrock X470 Taichi (w/update)
Asrock X570 Extreme4
MSI X570 Gayming Edge
unknown *550

chipset fan really rustles my jingles, does taichi hold this memory speed?

Attached: p.jpg (820x627, 142K)

any ASUS or ASrock b450/x470 user here?
how are the bios updates for zen 2?

No I didn't know that was a thing.
Thank you friendo.

>Accidentally bought a b450 that was in the top tier vrm list only because it had wifi on it.
I'm going to tell everyone I did it on purpose and you can't stop me.

Is the blower the only problem with the 5700s right now or are there are other issues?

Is this worth the money?
pcpartpicker.com/product/jpH48d/gskill-memory-f43200c14d16gvk

Attached: isisad339a631.jpg (680x571, 46K)

What's the best budget, compact ITX case? I care about portability above just about everything else.

Attached: 1446655089313.jpg (612x574, 66K)

Does that ryzen dram calculator work on zen 2?

NO. This is though.
>pcpartpicker.com/product/RRc48d/crucial-ballistix-sport-lt-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-3200-memory-bls2k8g4d32aesck

dual-rank 3000mt (much faster) for $30 less

amazon.com/Ballistix-Elite-PC4-24000-288-Pin-Memory/dp/B01H3P99FG

For gaming only, is a 9700k worth getting over a 3600 or 3700x? It seems to get better framerates all around but I imagine the AMD stuff will catch up once games start incorporating multi-threading more.

>buy well priced ram on Amazon
>buy refurbished mobo on Amazon
>get refunded on both
FUCK AMAZON, I finally found the same mobo today for almost the same price (X470 Taichi for 189€), and 4x8 3600 CL18 for 200€. Not the best deals, but it's something.
The Taichi is t topology, so it should do great with 4x8gb ram. Is there any specific guide to overclock these kind of ram/mobo combination? I will be using a 3700X.

reminder that 2400mhz dual rank beats 4000mhz single rank

Attached: dual rank RAM.jpg (994x746, 295K)

>buy refurbished

Attached: 1562955185710.gif (580x433, 1.96M)

>For gaming only, is a 9700k worth getting over a 3600 or 3700x?
Yes, and this won't change

Did I fuck up by buying a 4x8gb set of ram for my 3700x?

Not really

It's not a quad channel chipset so you won't get quad channel speeds, but you can use the full 32gb as dual channel

No, what gave you that impression? 2x16gb has goes for a little cheaper, performance wise you're gucci.

No. 3700X > 9700k even for pure gaming. The 9700k stutters in some games like far cry 5.
Also the 3700X seems to be better when GPU bottlenecked, at least with an AMD GPU. Haven't seen to really tested much with Nvidia GPU.

>Yes, and this won't change
Blatant troll. You fucktards said that about the 7600k vs 1600X, and look where we are 2 years later with the 7600k being unplayable in a lot of games and the 1600X still fine.

>3700X > 9700k even for pure gaming.
You're delusional.

The "once games start incorporating multi-threading more." argument has been floating around for a long time. Buy what's good now.

3600 = 3700x = 3900x for gaming

>look where we are 2 years later with the 7600k being unplayable in a lot of games and the 1600X still fine
Are you assuming the 9700K is going to also have a fuckton of security flaws and get raped by mitigations?
Not saying it's impossible or even unlikely since it's still on the flawed arch, but it's still an assumption.

I know that feel.

Attached: cow2beef idle cores.png (1376x706, 110K)

Can anyone reccomend me a good electronic air compressor/duster to buy to help clean my pc?

Attached: 1368793017726.png (302x237, 4K)

>Did I fuck up by buying a 4x8gb set of ram for my 3700x?
If your mobo is daisy chain, then at worst you won't be able to tight the timings.

My ears must be shit because I still think my sound blaster Z sounds better than the on-board audio for my Asus Crosshair X570.

>once games start incorporating multi-threading more

been hearing that shit since 2007

AMD shill-kun, why are you posting so aggressively? You are usually pretty lax.

how do i tell if a ram set has dual rank or single rank?
smoothbrain here, please help

Attached: F4B00B32-53C9-4BEF-BF4D-B79FD3B7399A.jpg (750x750, 181K)

Turns out this thing is shit for painting my overpriced plastic crack but it blows air for cheap.

Attached: 10020790.jpg (300x267, 20K)

And it's been true for a long time. Try using a single core. it's unusable. 4c/4t CPUs stutter like mad and 4/8 cpus are next in line. hexacore is the minimum now.

Hell bulldozer which was absolute trash at release rivals sandy bridge in modern games. That's a huge gap bridged.

I figured as much.
Is Amazon's ~$360 price here to stay or is this a typical sale price for them? I want to wait a month or two before buying and don't want to spread out the purchases in case anything's doa.

Google its model number and "dual rank"

Intel CPUs never go on sale even for holidays. They only decrease in price when new stuff comes out, but that's not guaranteed.

Remember 2017?
>4 cores is all you need!
Who won out on that one?

pcpartpicker.com/list/msspq4
rate my build, upgrading from i5-6500 and 480 rgb
was also planning on getting a ben q XL2411P
drives and ram are gonna be the same
would a windows 10 reinstall be best?

Why not just buy a 6700?

Bros how the FUCK do I keep this fucking Ryzen cpu from getting hot in the summer.

Buy an intel.

Get a cheaper CPU cooler and a B450 motherboard. Replace 1660Ti with RX 5700.

Yes, reinstall Windows from scratch.

I have a Intel 530 series SSD. The 4k random reads on new NVME drives in my price segment do 75–90pc better in this area. Will the improved cold boot times and application loading times be noticeable?

In other words, go from 120gb SATA drive to 1TB SATA m2, or go to 512gb NVME instead?

Undervolt. Unless you got shat upon in the silicon lottery it will actually hit higher boost clocks than stock at -0.1V offset.

I would either skip the CPU cooler OR upgrade to NH-D14 because a noctua is an investment you can use for many future builds, and you might as well spend a little more to get the best one.

the motherboard is overkill. get a b450 or x470. Maybe upgrade CPU instead?

If you have to ask you won't notice. NVME does *NOTHING* for OS boot, game/application loading.

Post proof of purchase.

This is so fucking disingenuous when intel are the housefires these days.

My i5 idles at room temperature.

Is a noctua d15 overkill or overpriced? I'm between that and a cheaper scythe mugen/ninja.

Why the fuck do BIOS become impossible to access once you boot from an SSD? You would think a solution to this would be commonplace.

Depends on your CPU I guess. If you're rocking a 3900x/9900k by all means get one.

I don't know.

Attached: fc.png (938x917, 110K)

>Hell bulldozer which was absolute trash at release rivals sandy bridge in modern games. That's a huge gap bridged.
Can I get some source on that? I don't accuse you of lying. I'm just curious.

There are other issues everybody hopes will be fixed with the next update, crashing, bad speeds/lag in certain games

>fc
That's such a yummy looking cherry you picked.

Attached: elopkqubdj931[1].png (703x712, 79K)

looking at older mobos rn
flashback is fairly easy i'd imagine?
also should i wait for after market 5700's?
gonna start buying stuff in the fall

Literally no

The blue thing on your chart is Intel

Post proof of purchase for your ryzen or troll

get a dark rock pro 4 with same performance and better optics for 10 bucks less

In all honesty I don't think it's worth upgrading from what you currently have to what you plan on. A 3700x/9700k with a beefy GPU would make sense but going from midrange stuff into newer midrange stuff is not worth spending $1200 in my opinion. I'd say get a new graphics card only, either a 2060S or 5700XT aftermarket one and wait out on the rest.

Attached: 1356474357023.jpg (277x400, 19K)

It's amazing, isn't it? Ask any intel user what their idle temps are and they'll all say the same thing: room temperature with the dollar store stock cooler that came with it. It's a perfectly mundane and unexceptional fact to an intel user and not something to get excited about. But to AMD users, who usually idle at around 50-60c with a 100 dollar Noctua cooler that had to be shipped all the way from Austria, this is so preposterous, so unthinkable, that they'll refuse to believe it and will even get mad at you if you insist that this is true, because they can't even imagine that such a thing could be possible.

What the fuck is this trying to say
Why is it in % differences and not just the actual fps
Sketchy af

>Rainbow Six Siege

There's something wrong with your chart.

Attached: RSS_720p.png (1320x1479, 53K)

You dont get it do you

I'll make it easy for you: You are cherrypicking the game everyone knows intel does that best at and amd does the worst at. It's not a representative benchmark at all.

Maybe look at the title???

Attached: CRosKZp[1].png (1920x1084, 528K)

Both of the rainbow six benchmarks you posted ( and this youtube one) are fake.

This is why I don't like AMD: weird, cultish behavior from its customers

>pay more to get less
What's up with the 0.1% minimum of 3900x compared to 3700x and the overall performance difference between 9700k & 9900k?

Look at Ryzen's 1% mins in your chart.

So I put my new PC together. Howeverm when I try to boot I get a yellow "DRAM" light on my mobo.

When I use one of my sticks in any of the four slots a lone my PC's "case" won't boot, the CPU fan spins up but none of my case fans spin up, this occurs in each slot.

When I use my other stick of RAM everything on the case "works" but I get the yellow DRAM LED and I get no post, or picture.

So it is safe to assume my RAM is faulty?

Attached: giphy.gif (500x375, 489K)

Will the 3600 be ok for gaming and some streaming for the foreseeable future? Also planning on getting a b450 board, thinking that, if needed, I could always grab an 8 core ryzen 4000 part

Sorry for the delay

Attached: chrome_2019-07-22_10-33-04[1].png (1505x651, 206K)

Ok I have a stupid question which I'm sure yall are used to dealing with, so sorry.

I'm just trying to penny pinch and get a new hard drive because I've filled all mine up with stupid shit I don't want to get rid of, so on to #5

I was just going to get another WD blue, but when looking around I noticed the WD Re datacenter drive is the same fucking price, but from what I can tell at least, just flat out better.

(re)
newegg.com/p/N82E16822236350?Item=9SIA5AD6DJ8028

vs

(blue)
newegg.com/p/N82E16822235011?

Am I just missing something? Why are they the same price?

I'm probably just going to fill it with stupid shit honestly, maybe my steam blacklog who knows.

Currently I have
1 TB WD blue x2
500 GB Samsung
4 TB Seagate hybrid

The Samsung doesn't have anything really important on it, I kinda just want to see how long it takes to fucking die because I've had it for as long as I can remember, it's off the PC I had when I was like fucking 11.
Currently:
Power On Count 10387 times
Power On Time 2238.5 days

Fuck the Wraith Prism is extremely loud. If I wanted one of the be Quiet CPU coolers would I need to snag the whole heatsink + fan or is there such thing as just the fan that I can get?

Oh if AMD "wins" a benchmark it's just fake?
youtube.com/watch?v=z3aEv3EzMyQ
Go ahead and tell me how its fake.

Yes? The chart I posted said average. Minimums =/= average.
As for 9700k/9900k, no idea.

The minimums is what matters.

Is the ASRock X570 Phantom a decent board? IT's cheap and has 8x sata ports which should be the minimum a new board should have. 6x sata is so stingy.

There's a reason we don't trust you.

>spend 50€ more for no reason at all instead of saving that to get a better ram or cooler or CPU
If it fails somehow, I can just tell Amazon and they should supply a new one.

Is that *always* true?

Attached: chrome_2019-07-22_10-47-15[1].png (1409x786, 514K)

You are an idiot

>Average of 12 reviewers
>CHERRY PICKS CLICKBAIT UNBOXED
Holy fuck intcels are so retarded with their shilling and projection. They're the ones who cherry pick and accuse of others of it when they average out 29 games across a DOZEN sources.

>AmdTechTips

Why do you keep doing this?

Called it. Get rekt, nerd.

Now show the input lag you get with AMD vs Intel

>Only minimums matt-
>Oy vey minimums no longer matter
Potterry

I'm absolutely fine in all my games at 4c/4t though, and I've played a handful of big AAA games of the past couple of years
perfectly stable 60fps

Amd has anti-lag, intel/Nvidia doesn't. Try harder shill.

>Stop posting shill benchmarks
>*posts shill benchmark*

Imagine lagging so badly that you actually need to develop some sort of anti-lag technology and be forded to advertise it because it's a well known issue among your consumers

>flashback is fairly easy i'd imagine

It depends on the MOBO, some require a CPU already installed to update the BIOS. In that case, you can request a free CPU from AMD, update and send it back.

extremetech.com/computing/295027-amd-will-provide-a-free-temporary-uefi-upgrade-kit-for-ryzen-3000-motherboard-updates

No idea how much time it takes, shipping and all, but it sounds like a pain in the ass. A friend of mine is building a new PC these days and bought an MSI B450 Carbon AC (msi.com/Motherboard/B450-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC) just because you can update it with no CPU installed.

>also should i wait for after market 5700's

If you can wait, yes. With good cooling, you can get a ~20-25% overclock it seems. But you can also get one now, and then install an Accelero Twin Turbo or something, if you don't mind taking your GPU apart.

>gonna start buying stuff in the fall

I should have read the whole thing before answering... in that case you can wait for B550 motherboards, which should support Ryzen 3000 from the get go. No idea when they will be released, I'm guessing in a couple of months.

I just want to say how amazed I am by your shilling skills. Some AMD Pajeet was complaining about high temperatures and somehow you ended up spamming charts from LinusShillTips as a result of that

>720p
I fucking hate e-sports fags.

Does AMD shill-kun ever sleep? Like I swear he monitors /pcbg/ 24/7. I hope AMD is paying him well, he is very dedicated.

how much does the 5700 benefit from pci-e gen4? the b450 is gen 3 right?

Hey guys, I ordered these parts yesterday and just realised that the ssd is not nvme. I have cancelled it as I can get something 3 or 4 items faster for a very similar price. What should I get that would be compatible with my motherboard in the 60 - 75 bong price range?

Attached: 1563735649138.png (1251x653, 59K)

I'm going to make a found footage film about the disappearance of the Radeon VII

>Coping and seething